Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bilston wrote: »
    Yeah really easy to forget...what criticism was there again???...

On a kind of related point I think some are waiting in the long grass for Schmidt, a defeat even today and some may present themselves...that's the nature of being a test coach I suppose, one defeat and you are under pressure.

There was all sorts of outrage at guys like Duncan Casey and Dave Foley not being picked.

Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

There was all sorts of outrage at guys like Duncan Casey and Dave Foley not being picked.

Seriously.

You're right. If we had not won that match, all those old chestnuts would be getting discussed again. Now there is peace and calm.....for now anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Seriously.

There seems to be a lot more outrage about players who are picked, than those who weren't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ireland by 6-10 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭phog

Seriously.

You need to go back a few years to see outrage, some posters even threatened to stop supporting Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

phog wrote: »
    You need to go back a few years to see outrage, some posters even threatened to stop supporting Ireland.

Some posters said they hoped Ireland would lose so that the coach would be fired. The international window brings out the best in all of us!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,224 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

where are we going for pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭twinytwo

I think we will win this by at least 10 and its only a shame we didnt get a crack off the AB's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Let's just hope the combined rules game at the moment isn't an omen of what's to come later

Some posters said they hoped Ireland would lose so that the coach would be fired. The international window brings out the best in all of us!

That too.

• Advertisement

Let's just hope the combined rules game at the moment isn't an omen of what's to come later

Difference is, in rugby the irish lads can compete on a physical level and arnt afraid to tackle:pac:

Match day!!!!

Have a kids party to navigate. Only hitch is kick off is 1 hour after collection time and parents can take the piss sometimes.

Little f**king timmy will be left sitting outside if there are no shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

sydthebeat wrote: »
    where are we going for pints?

Sure they have bars in the ground, you can go in and out as often as you like.

A little tip: wait until just after kick off, then head out. A deadly way to beat the queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

In fairness, that was during the Kidney regime fiasco. Desperate times.

Still, it does feel good to be supporting Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

A little tip: wait until just after kick off, then head out. A deadly way to beat the queues.
    For shame.
    It should be forbidden to take you seat if you miss the kickoff whistle, and to leave before the end of each half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Sure they have bars in the ground, you can go in and out as often as you like.

282b93ffbdd027a05291d016e14bc0712b2f9ab2c33a60fb560a528b03913b0e.jpg

See what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just for the record there are still people calling Joe "blue Joe" and giving out bangers about selection. Just not here. For some it's a double edged sword. As it stands he can't win because of selection despite results. If he selected differently and we started losing then he'd be on another hiding. Best to ignore the provincial thing altogether. If some want to be that narrow minded let them off. In the mean time Ireland can keep winning and it's all good.

Heading to Beggars pre-match for those interested...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't think it's unfair to suggest there were people out there who didn't want certain players to do well against SA. A minority but I'd be pretty confident they exist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

some people will never be happy. we could win the world cup and you'd still get the odd person complaining about selection some people are best ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

picture.php?albumid=1458&pictureid=15328

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Ah, if a non-sports fan was looking at the complete apathy surrounding the soccer team's friendly on Tuesday, probably fair enough that they'd assume the same would apply to the rugby.

But that's soccer; course it wasn't important ;)

Bandwagon supporter then, ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

But that's soccer; course it wasn't important ;)

I just don't get it tbh.

I enjoy soccer and rugby but am not heavily involved in either.

I'm not nationalistic, our country is fairly sh1te and our values are messed up but whenever someone pulls on the irish jersey, in any sport or code, I simply cannot not support them.

Regardless of the team, the manager, where we are and where we should be, I always want us to win.

I don't get how people can switch off support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Could you imagine if Ireland muddled their way through the 2013 and Kidney got a contract extension, not a hope would we have had the year we just did. I think it's understandable that some people would've been relieved to see us lose a dead rubber against Italy if it meant bringing his reign to an end.

shuffol wrote: »
    Could you imagine if Ireland muddled their way through the 2013 and Kidney got a contract extension, not a hope would we have had the year we just did. I think it's understandable that some people would've been relieved to see us lose a dead rubber against Italy if it meant bringing his reign to an end.

I think whats worse was he didnt have the courage to put his hand up and resign

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

twinytwo wrote: »
    I think whats worse was he didnt have the courage to put his hand up and resign

Do coaches ever quit? Would you expect a player to drop himself? It's his job and his livelihood and he obviously believed in what he was doing.

It was faintly ridiculous the amount of support he had til the end but feck it lads, we're playing Australia today under Joe and I'm excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Do coaches ever quit? Would you expect a player to drop himself? It's his job and his livelihood and he obviously believed in what he was doing.

It was faintly ridiculous the amount of support he had til the end but feck it lads, we're playing Australia today under Joe and I'm excited.

Um.. McKenzie the Australian head coach quit at the start of the November tours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Podge_irl wrote: »

Exactly. I think it's a very interesting topic but possibly better for the Ireland thread?

Only PMA here!

• Advertisement

Tox56 wrote: »
    I don't think it's unfair to suggest there were people out there who didn't want certain players to do well against SA. A minority but I'd be pretty confident they exist

True and that was probably the case under previous coaches and might be in the future too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement