Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

R line does actually have keyless start, all mk8 golf models have push button start as standard. The style gets a upgraded version so you can unlock it with you're phone.

Really the r-line spec seems a better option with looks inside and out, the seats are now really racey looking with the locked headrests. Full black interior roof and etc. The annoying thing is the r-line is only getting standard halogen headlights "with led drls" so it's a extra €1077 to get the led plus headlights, and to add matrix IQ lights its another €1000 on top of that. 17" boring looking alloys as standard but to upgrade to 18" bergamo is €536. R-line only is getting the option for the Lapiz blue Metallic (mk7 golf r colour)

Lowered sports suspension is on it standard the same as what the GTI will get. I've noticed too from looking up tons of videos on YouTube that the R-line GTI GTD GTE and R get a different steering wheel with shiny touch sensitive buttons and heated steering wheel is standard on the these models

On the style the plus led headlights are standard and to get IQ its something like €714 with is great value really for what you get.

I thought I read somewhere all the Mk8 Golfs were coming with LED front lights as standard even the comfort entry model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

The entry model is actually called the golf, then the comfort is the next model up.

Yeah so did I but i saw a video on YouTube and it was the golf life which is model up from the comfort and that had halogen bulbs, unless they have led bulbs inside but it has them standard big mirror reflector, it didn't have the magnifying glass you see in proper led headlights like the MK7.5 GTI

Edit:
    Here's the video skip to 3:20
    https://youtu.be/QdnbEtbnnoI

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LEDS are standard across the range on the MK8.

Also there’s a big difference between keyless start and keyless entry. The prior being absolutely pointless without the latter.

Product guide attached below.

L-M wrote: »

Also there’s a big difference between keyless start and keyless entry. The prior being absolutely pointless without the latter.

This is an option.........

Led Headlights With Dynamic Headlight Range
    RRP € 1,077.17RRP € 1,077.17 ,

Front fog lamp, cornering and poor weather light

LED headlamps with lens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

And if you go onto Volkswagen website and configure the life or the rline. Then look in the gallery and scroll the images, you'll clearly see when the option is selected and turned off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

L-M wrote: »

I'd take keyless start over nothing. Every time I get into my mam's car putting the key in the ignition is a bigger pain than using the button to unlock. Of course full keyless is better but both functions are useful in their own way.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'd take keyless start over nothing...........

Indeed, the ole lad has keyless start, I've keyless nothing.
    Keyless start is a nice feature once there's somewhere handy to throw the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Looks well, and it usually goes this way. Initial impressions are terrible the it grows and warms to you.

Looks like seats might be a bit more special too but hard to tell, and that may be just for the testing too. Was something they missed with the Mk7 I think.

_sb11568.jpg

Could this be the rumored R400???
    Wheels maybe 20” and ride height looks very low. One of the pics seems to have the front badge taped over - looks longer than R. Just saying 🀔.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I'd say he's just baitin' it around the bend so being pushed down low

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Could this be the rumored R400???
    Wheels maybe 20” and ride height looks very low. One of the pics seems to have the front badge taped over - looks longer than R. Just saying 🀔.

I was wondering that myself but I think it's just the camber of the road

Augeo wrote: »
    This is an option.........

Led Headlights With Dynamic Headlight Range
    RRP € 1,077.17RRP € 1,077.17 ,

Front fog lamp, cornering and poor weather light

LED headlamps with lens

Where are you seeing that?

That’s not an option.

The only LED light option on the MK8 is to Upgrade the style model to IQ matrix lights at 721.

Leds are standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The R above does look a lot better but it still looks like someone sat on the front of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not many of these around?

http://www.adverts.ie/20169393

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not many of these around?

http://www.adverts.ie/20169393

He has got to be joking at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Dont think the price is too mad.

Dealers still asking €10k for a 2012 diesel, that one does look well spec'd, would €14 not be about right for it?

That's about the latest Mk6 GTi you'll get and the cheapest early Mk7's are still asking €17k+.

Low KMs yet no NCT.
    Could be a good one but there's a smell of baseball cap etc off the add ✌🚬

Yeah, all photos taken between 45 and 70 degree angles.

Mk5 GTi in the background too though, could be enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

15.5k seems mad money for a 2012 Mk6 GTi when for another 4.5k you can have this nice Mk7 example that's 3 years younger and with a warranty:

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2519219&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D12%26yn%3D2014%26yx%3D2015%26pp%3D50%26g%3D0

I'm sure there is wiggle room in that price too.

I agree with the point, but it is €4k more and that's a few quid to anybody, I'd say there's more haggling in the private sale than the dealer sale too. Sure you could always find something nicer with an extra 4 or 5 grand on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well I wouldn't see it that just because it's 4k cheaper it's better value, it's also 3 years older, a generation older too and there is no warranty. I'm just pointing out what better value you can actually get given the difference. In the big scheme of things, spending 4k to come up to one 3 years younger and a dealer warranty is better value to someone who might be able to stretch. To someone who cannot stretch and if it were me I'd just keep looking. I know Mk6 GTis are rare but I just think that sort of money on an 8 year old one with no come back is not good value.

I would also follow the assumption that if a private seller has their car advertised at what is an unrealistic high price to everyone but themselves then they probably won't accept a huge amount less for it, enthusiast owners can be the worst for this. They will tell you it's worth every penny and would rather keep it than let it go cheap.

Just my 2c of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Dont think the price is too mad.

Dealers still asking €10k for a 2012 diesel, that one does look well spec'd, would €14 not be about right for it?

That's about the latest Mk6 GTi you'll get and the cheapest early Mk7's are still asking €17k+.

Yea it was more the lack of nct, the fact that the drivers door paint doesn't match & it's a crap ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Its an Edition 35 so worth a few quid more than a regular GTi. Id say its worth around 13k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Its an Edition 35 so worth a few quid more than a regular GTi. Id say its worth around 13k.

Yeah, the Edition models are well sought after amongst VW enthusiasts and can take in a couple of extra thousand due to rarity

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Lleyn elec

What price range should I be budgeting for a 2013-2014 GTD when the Covid restriction ends of buying in Ireland? How is the spec on a typical 2013 model compared to a 2015?
    I seen some with halogen lights.
    I’d need to go to a late 15 if importing from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Prices seem a bit all over the place, lots of higher mileage ones around. I traded mine in before Christmas, it was a nicely specced and very well minded 2015 model with 82k miles and I was allowed €17k for it at an independent dealer. A main dealer only offered me €13k for it a few weeks previous. I imagine €15-16k would get you a nice 2015 one now if you import as VRT is cheap on them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Negative oil prices at the moment and no huge spike in prices on the futures market would make an R or GTI cheaper to run than a diesel was a few weeks ago, the oil producers might even use this as an opportunity to kill off EV's they were always going to drop oil prices when EV's became a threat anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Negative oil prices at the moment and no huge spike in prices on the futures market would make an R or GTI cheaper to run than a diesel was a few weeks ago, the oil producers might even use this as an opportunity to kill off EV's they were always going to drop oil prices when EV's became a threat anyway.

Those negative oil prices (for the US market) were only temporary. They'll be around $20 a barrel today. Prices that effect the pirce at the pumps here are pretty static and haven't changed much in the past month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

It’s not going to last unfortunately, as soon as we are all back driving the price will soon go back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'm looking to get on board the GTD train. My heart is broken but due to a new job and a long commute several times a week, I need to sell my petrol Focus ST for something more economical. The Mk7 GTD seems to be a good choice for performance without crying at the pumps every week.

Does anyone have some insights on how good the GTD is on fuel? My average with the ST with motorway driving is 10L/100km or 28mpg, so I'd want to be getting a fair improvement on that.

Is there anything I need to look out for between model years ie. avoid 2014, go for 2015 etc? Do they all come with roughly the same extras or is there anything that I should absolutely hold out for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement