Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What's the issue? Grinding brakes before they are warmed up? What brakes are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

vintagevrs wrote: »
    What's the issue? Grinding brakes before they are warmed up? What brakes are they?

GTI 7.5, it's normal I'm told. It sounds bad though not what I like to hear when I jump into the car. Only takes a few hours to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hit a pothole about an hour ago in the GTi which caused a pinhole puncture front left. The nuts on the wheel must have been tightened with an airgun, because they are welded in and not moving under human force. Tried also with a telescopic wheelbrace, no joy, not budging.

Currently waiting for a tyre centre van to call out with their airgun. Very frustrating. The tyres are pretty new too, I'm hoping they can patch it up, but as it's on the sidewalk, may not be repairable.

Has anyone had any luck claiming back from a county council after damage caused by a pothole?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭easyvision

I need a battery replacement for key, assuming any VW service I could drop in tomorrow for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

easyvision wrote: »
    I need a battery replacement for key, assuming any VW service I could drop in tomorrow for one?

How much does VW charge for that? You can get a battery for car key in any number of places.

• Advertisement

SaintsYB wrote: »
    How much does VW charge for that? You can get a battery for car key in any number of places.

Dont know, I dont even know how to put it in, I just want it done for me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Dont know, I dont even know how to put it in, I just want it done for me

If you YouTube how to open the key it’s a very simple process. Usually a CR2025

tossy wrote: »
    Yeah closer to 400

Nearly up on the old Bora then!

L-M wrote: »
    If you YouTube how to open the key it’s a very simple process. Usually a CR2025

Just did that there, yep Ill do that, easier and cheaper! cheers

Just did that there, yep Ill do that, easier and cheaper! cheers

Just get a decent battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Do the brake lights go on when the ACC slows the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Do the brake lights go on when the ACC slows the car?

Only if it has to slow it drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It's very easy to DIY. No tools required but a flathead screw driver would make it easier. Just flip the key blade out, stick the flat head in where the blade came out from and twist it and the battery cover pops off.

A lot of dealers dont even charge for the batteries as it seems to be an annoyance for owners but the price of the VW part number comes in around €4. It's a Panasonic battery.

If you aren't getting it from dealer, do get a good brand battery. The rubbish ones you get in pound shops and stuff barely last any time at all in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Got 541km from first tank so around 32mpg. Not bad at all all things considered .There was plenty of heavy foot stuff for the second half a tank

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Got 541km from first tank so around 32mpg. Not bad at all all things considered .There was plenty of heavy foot stuff for the second half a tank

Do you think that will improve in the next month or so as the new car excitement wears off? Doesn't sound too bad.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Do you think that will improve in the next month or so as the new car excitement wears off? Doesn't sound too bad.

I think so. It will do into the 40s on a run in eco mode. I'm expecting around mid 30s average. I'll be happy out with that. I'll adjust my driving style in this. Its not really a car for hammering up and down the motorway. Plus i want to keep my lisence and the way these things gather momentum is frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I'd say the manual gearbox is helping the economy. I have never managed to get 500km from a full tank in our R. 450-470 seems to be the norm.

I'd say the manual gearbox is helping the economy. I have never managed to get 500km from a full tank in our R. 450-470 seems to be the norm.

Seems to be the general consensus that the DSG's are thirstier alright. They are that bit quicker too so i guess it's the price you pay. Loving the manual to drive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Seems to be the general consensus that the DSG's are thirstier alright. They are that bit quicker too so i guess it's the price you pay. Loving the manual to drive though.

Are

About 270 in old money is my average also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

are vw service plans included as standard, we were quoted €15 per month on top. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

Is the DSG 7.5 R better than the manual? I presume the extra gear must help somewhat.

Christmas bath

wash1.jpg

Nice, will be giving mine a good scrub tomorrow. The mrs bought me a lot from reflect for my birthday a few weeks back, I think she might have guessed what was coming��

Nice, will be giving mine a good scrub tomorrow. The mrs bought me a lot from reflect for my birthday a few weeks back, I think she might have guessed what was coming��

Let me know what the stuff is like, i need new snow foam, shampoo and tyre dressing, although the G techniq tyre dressing i'm just finishing is the best i've used for longevity.

Will do. I don't have a lance for snow foam, i must look into one for the new year.

Will do. I don't have a lance for snow foam, i must look into one for the new year.

I made a DIY snow foam cannon out of a garden pump sprayer after watching a DIY video on youtube. works a treat as i never let the car get that dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Lads what do you find best for washing, lambs wool wash mitts?

I have the bottle that came with the karcher that you attach to the hose but it's ****e.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Lads what do you find best for washing, lambs wool wash mitts?

Yeah I have a meguiares one, prob not the finest quality but it's pretty good I find.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement