Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I use a different one for the lower half than i do for the top half, the top one is a nice G techniq one i picked up at some show, probably needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

IMG-20191223-211917.jpg

I know you all said an intake is no use, but if my GTI can't beat this little white bitch from a rolling start I'm going to shove my boot so far up George's ass he'd wish he bought a Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Tut tut. Look at that arch gap. Set of Racingline springs badly needed I’d say....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Definitely need to see George about the height of that car! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

are vw service plans included as standard, we were quoted €15 per month on top. Is this normal?

Are you buying a new car? They sometimes offer it discounted, you could try get it thrown in free with the car. It won't necessarily save you any money at full price, it just spreads the cost of the first 3 services but if you can get it discounted/free it's a good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Vw are running an offer at the minute of €360 for three services on new cars which is extremely good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Love those seats

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Forgot they were based on the Mk7 and not the .5...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

That's been up for quite a while too. Not shifting easily by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

It could be the fact that it has a remap perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sold by independent dealer and not VW dealer could be an issue too.

If i was buying a clubsport it would have to have wingbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭maddness

Can I ask GTI owners what kind of mpg do they tend to get?
    I’d a couple of R’s which were very thirsty and I now do massive mileage so am in a diesel BMW but am kind of thinking of getting a MK 7.5 GTI performance dsg. Anyone have either the 230 or the newer 245 bhp dsg?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

maddness wrote: »
    I’d a couple of R’s which were very thirsty and I now do massive mileage so am in a diesel BMW but am kind of thinking of getting a MK 7.5 GTI performance dsg. Anyone have either the 230 or the newer 245 bhp dsg?

I have a 245 bhp dsg and get an average of 35mpg would be a mix of motorway, back roads and town but wouldn’t typically be in any kind of heavy traffic. On a long journey if you were putting effort in to drive economically you would get 38mpg. Those are actual calculated figures from brimming the tank but the trip computer matches remarkably well.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Max Q

Ran a Mk7 GTI performace 230 for 3 years and my long term average from the trip computer was 32.3mpg when I sold it.

In a 7.5 R for the last 2 years and my long term average from the on board trip computer is 29.5mpg.

I do a mix of motorway and city driving, and my daily commute is the exact same for my time of ownership of both. I know the long term trip computer resets itself after certain distance intervals so the figures above may not be exact but will give you some idea of what to expect..32ish vs 29ish..for mixed driving.

Thanks lads. I’m really missing a petrol hot hatch and I have a 435d which I can get up to 40mpg on a long run by driving very carefully but around town it’s early 20’s so I reckon a GTI would be as good or a little bette. The BMW is very fast but not much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I have a Mk7 manual PP GTi, have been tracking fuel consumption since Feb, averaging 8.6l/100kms, around 32.5mpg. That's a mix of city, motorway and country road driving.

Hi folks,

I just wanted to give a more detailed update on my new (to me) GTI as I haven't been on the laptop since I took ownership it with Christmas etc.

I still haven't got any proper photos out in the wild yet so for forgive the current ones.

I had inquired about a couple of GTIs over the past 7 months, but the trade-in values they were quoting were a bit sickening and I couldn't justify it. Eventually this car popped up, not ideal timing with Christmas, but I went for a nose anyway as the wife is from Cork so we're down there a fair bit. It was in fantastic condition and the trade-in was favourable to what I was being offered in Dublin. I was happy with it, the man-maths worked. Sold

It is a gorgeous car, I love the carbon grey. Also loving the sound difference from the diesel. The fuel economy - not so much!!

Just a few of my non-expert thoughts on both cars:

- The ST had comfier seats. The GTI seats are great but ST Recaros were very "hugging", for lack of a better word

- The GTI rear end (really love Mk7 GTI/R rear lights) is far more attractive than the ST. The ST would probably have a better looking front end though. Both attractive cars in their own rights.

- First world problem, but I miss the heated steering wheel - the ST had a winter pack, the heated steering wheel and windscreen were a great spec. In saying that, the GTI heats up a lot quicker it seems, so windscreen is taken care of in no time.

- I liked the permanent turbo/oil temp gauges in the ST. I have to cycle through the dash to see oil temp in GTI.

- Apples and oranges but I was getting 800-850km out of a tank in ST. Seem to be getting 550 out of GTI, although I'm obviously being quite heavy footed at the moment, just enjoying it! ST had a larger tank too. If I average it out, there should be a difference of 150km between fills between the cars, which is fine and expected...and worth it!

- The ride is much comfier in the GTI, the ST was rock hard, my wife hated it!! I thought it was fine but it is nice not to feel every single rattle.

- Infotainment is much more user friendly in GTI

- Seats aside, interior is nicer and more premium in GTI

- Happy not to have a white car anymore. I feel the GTI is a bit more subtle too, which is welcomed.

- ST felt like it took off quicker - probably down to the torque and the resulting torque steer. Constant power in the GTI trumps that though.

Still early days but I think I did the right thing and I am happy with my decision to switch.

Happy New Year to you all!

498699.jpg

498700.jpg

498698.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Thanks lads. I’m really missing a petrol hot hatch and I have a 435d which I can get up to 40mpg on a long run by driving very carefully but around town it’s early 20’s so I reckon a GTI would be as good or a little bette. The BMW is very fast but not much fun.

I'm getting up to 35mpg on a steady run in my manual R.
    Long term average is reading 32 since i got it, have about 1500 kms done in it now. I'm happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Well wear Ilikeboats I was admiring it the last day I was up there.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'm getting up to 35mpg on a steady run in my manual R.
    Long term average is reading 32 since i got it, have about 1500 kms done in it now. I'm happy enough with that.

Jesus! I used to get about 25 to 30 max from both of my dsg’s.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'm getting up to 35mpg on a steady run in my manual R

The two usernames of the posters who posted after you sum it up...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    - I liked the permanent turbo/oil temp gauges in the ST. I have to cycle through the dash to see oil temp in GTI.

Assuming the mk7 is the same as the mk7.5 GTI if you go into the ‘car’ section on the infotainment screen you will see a section which has 3 gauges you can set to display oil temp, water temp and turbo boost pressure for example. You could leave that on the screen and it has the same kind of effect.

CIP4 wrote: »
    Assuming the mk7 is the same as the mk7.5 GTI if you go into the ‘car’ section on the infotainment screen you will see a section which has 3 gauges you can set to display oil temp, water temp and turbo boost pressure for example. You could leave that on the screen and it has the same kind of effect.

I was hoping it would have that option but it's not there. Must be a version too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Yeah that was brought in for the 7.5.

I forgot to say - I got a 48 euro refund on my insurance too. Under 500 now with no claims protection. Pretty decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

What is the mk6 R like? I may need a second car in the new year and where I live an mk6 R is very affordable. A E92 335i would be similar money but I want something which won't be likely to shíte itself.

Thats the performance menu it was introduce mid to late 2016 on.

You can code in whats called an off road menu option on early models that gives similar info - to be honest i rarely use it, my cluster display is on oil temp constantly.

IMG-1610.jpg

• Advertisement

Just used to the digital speedo on the cluster display at this stage. Might look into the above, thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement