Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Yeah I have the above "performance mode" thing enabled on my 2016 R. I used OBDeleven with the steps here:

http://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/18598-add-offroad-menu-to-mib2-obd-eleven-coding/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Is there a way to tell MIB1 from MIB2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

MIB1 has a smaller screen with a shiny black plastic surround. Your car being a 2016 is almost certainly MIB2.

My GTD had the MIB1 small screen and the R has the pro navigation upgrade. I read somewhere before that it was an €1,800 option and I can see why, it miles ahead of the basic system, so much more intuitive and even sounds better but that could be a placebo. Iirc it has a built in hard drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

http://www.adverts.ie/19531080

Anyone looking for a spare Clubsport wheel..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Truckermal wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/19531080

Anyone looking for a spare Clubsport wheel..

Just make sure you fit both to the same side so the person beside you on the motorway doesn't know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

maddness wrote: »
    Can I ask GTI owners what kind of mpg do they tend to get?
    I’d a couple of R’s which were very thirsty and I now do massive mileage so am in a diesel BMW but am kind of thinking of getting a MK 7.5 GTI performance dsg. Anyone have either the 230 or the newer 245 bhp dsg?

I have a Mk 7.5 GTI PP DSG 245 bhp and my most recent 'long-term' (100 hours) average consumption reading from the trip computer was 10.1 l/100 km (28 miles/gal). My daily commute is about 12 km from one side of Galway city to the other side in busy traffic.

Today I drove from Galway to Laois via Tullamore, and back again (~320 km). So mostly motorway driving, but with a bit of N and R roads too. I wasn't hanging around, and the average consumption was 8.0 l/100 km (35 miles/gal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Are the LED headlights height adjustable? I'm sick of being flashed by oncoming traffic that think I've the full headlights on

You should be able to adjust the height under the bonnet I imagine? Yours is the Cupra yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

Are they self leveling on start up you should see the beam move down then up when you start the ignition. They can fail or not work in the cold. On second Leon Fr now and never any issues with being flashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

hooch-85 wrote: »
    You should be able to adjust the height under the bonnet I imagine? Yours is the Cupra yeah?

Yep, they're self leveling though which is working fine. Didn't think those could be adjusted... I'll have a look tomorrow. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are self leveling (ie there is no button on the dashboard to change the different height levels) then you cannot adjust them. LED headlights have a very clear sharp light so it's very possible that people's eyes are overly sensitive to them.

I known the gtd I had with the bixenons could be adjusted under the bonnet, I haven't checked the R. But with the full led lights I think you're right bazz

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you using the auto dimming is it staying on a good bit, mines not great at reacting, previous car was way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The problem with LEDs is Irish roads REALLY aren't flat. Everything is a slight bump or uneven camber, you're bound to catch a glimpse of an LED. I've actually been flashed myself a few times recently with my halogens. I've stood in front when parked and can't see anything. I'm fairly sensitive to lights on the backroads, I notice the quick blip of an LED beam but they're nowhere as bad as misaligned bulbs or fog lights that most of the cars I pass have.

On an unrelated note, I was browsing Carzone earlier and I'm not seeing many GTIs. I've been looking on and off in the last few months just to get an idea of prices but I haven't seen much of anything. There's barely any DSG and I haven't seen a single PP.

My PCP is up in October. I thought I'd be going in with a choice of a few colours, maybe one with Brescia wheels etc. I'm not so hopeful now. At least standard spec is decent, I'll cut my losses with keyless and if it's not white, grey or blue it will still be a nice looking car although black or Galway purple would be my last resort.

Looking for a 172/181 Mk7.5 which obviously aren't 3 years old yet but there isn't much of anything. There's always loads of new ones around in Frank Keane, hopefully there's a few more when the 7.5 PCP come back...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭User1998

On the subject of lights do many mk7\7.5 owners have high beam assist? I have it and it seems to be a rare option or is it quite common?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

User1998 wrote: »
    On the subject of lights do many mk7\7.5 owners have high beam assist? I have it and it seems to be a rare option or is it quite common?
    Part of technology upgrade on all golfs starting from comfort line so very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭User1998

Part of technology upgrade on all golfs starting from comfort line so very common.

Thanks for that wasn’t quite sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

User1998 wrote: »

Came as standard in my last 2 cars. I find driving at night in the rain that the LED's from other cars are quite strong. But I can still tell the difference between that and when the high beams are left on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

DaveyDave wrote: »
    On an unrelated note, I was browsing Carzone earlier and I'm not seeing many GTIs. I've been looking on and off in the last few months just to get an idea of prices but I haven't seen much of anything. There's barely any DSG and I haven't seen a single PP.

My PCP is up in October. I thought I'd be going in with a choice of a few colours, maybe one with Brescia wheels etc. I'm not so hopeful now. At least standard spec is decent, I'll cut my losses with keyless and if it's not white, grey or blue it will still be a nice looking car although black or Galway purple would be my last resort.

Looking for a 172/181 Mk7.5 which obviously aren't 3 years old yet but there isn't much of anything. There's always loads of new ones around in Frank Keane, hopefully there's a few more when the 7.5 PCP come back...

If you noticed there was probably more GTI cars around the 1-3 year old mark traded in July 2019 that is because a few people traded them in against TCRs. That’s how I got my one and the salesman said there was a few cases of that.

But if you fast forward to now you can’t buy a new Golf GTI at the minute and probably won’t get a Mk8 till early next year. So anyone with a golf GTI there isn’t much for them to trade it in against in a VW dealer unless they go for a ‘non performance model’ I.e. Passat, Tiguan. Other than that you are probably going to get a lot of them being help on too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭easyvision

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The problem with LEDs is Irish roads REALLY aren't flat. Everything is a slight bump or uneven camber, you're bound to catch a glimpse of an LED. I've actually been flashed myself a few times recently with my halogens. I've stood in front when parked and can't see anything. I'm fairly sensitive to lights on the backroads, I notice the quick blip of an LED beam but they're nowhere as bad as misaligned bulbs or fog lights that most of the cars I pass have.

Looking to buy a 172/181 etc GTD auto. There’s close to zero for a long time now . There’s one 191 I see in Kerry which I’d want but the price is stupid! €44k for a 191

I don't get the obsession with the DSG, the maunal is more fun unless the car is going to be spending it's life stuck in traffic. One of my mates said he regretted getting the DSG after taking my manual for a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

easyvision wrote: »
    Looking to buy a 172/181 etc GTD auto. There’s close to zero for a long time now . There’s one 191 I see in Kerry which I’d want but the price is stupid! €44k for a 191

Would you not just import one? Plenty in the north even save you hassle with a ferry and time.

This one would cost less that €31 cleared. IV no idea how that compares to Irish prices mind.

260733505.1920.jpg

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Volkswagen-Golf-MK7-Facelift-2-0-TDI-GTD-184PS-DSG-5-256749919

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Would you not just import one? Plenty in the north even save you hassle with a ferry and time.

This one would cost less that €31 cleared. IV no idea how that compares to Irish prices mind.

260733505.1920.jpg

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-Volkswagen-Golf-MK7-Facelift-2-0-TDI-GTD-184PS-DSG-5-256749919

I would except I need to trade mine in and clear finance

Is that a 2018(16/17) MK7 trying to be passed off as a MK 7.5 there's 2 different cars in those pictures. I'd be asking what date is on the side of the engine and telling them fix the pictures.
    There's no mention of the virtual dash even though they've everything else possible listed in the description.

vintagevrs wrote: »

260733505.1920.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Ah fair enough. What are you in now? Is a private sale not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is that a 2018(16/17) MK7 trying to be passed off as a MK 7.5 there's 2 different cars in those pictures. I'd be asking what date is on the side of the engine and telling them fix the pictures.
    There's no mention of the virtual dash even though they've everything else possible listed in the description.

I think there's just the one car in the pictures, they've just accidentally included one pic of a Mk7 Comfortline interior.

Would a MK8 GTE make more sense than a GTD this time round. Suppose it won't make much odds if there's a guaranteed future value on a PCP deal but you'd have to assume it's minimum value you'd be offered come trade in time so no equity left in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

easyvision wrote: »

Get a personal loan to clear the Car loan, you are still saving big time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement