Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

Goodyear eagle f1s are a fantastic tyre and would be my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

You’ll get lots of opinions here on tyres and here are mine; for 18” either Continental Premium Contact 6 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4. For 19” either Continental Sport Contact 6 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Also not a fan of Eagle F1 AS models, AS3 in my case, they wore badly and were shockingly bad from a grip point of view when they wore - not on a GTi though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Strange one today. Start stop hasn't turned off the engine a few times on a few drives. Screen said power consumption high today but I'd only have lights and heat on auto 20C so not even very high. No heated seat, window heater etc. Also says something about air conditioning, can't remember exactly what but it wasn't the "windscreen may be foggy" message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vtown2

I recently purchased a GTI MK7.5 manual and I have found the gear box to be quiet temperamental. I have found shifting into 1st gear and from 1st to 2nd gear quiet notchy and grinding. Several times the gear stick would did not slot into second gear at all until shifting back to neutral and and going again. Mabey 1 in 3 gear shift from 1st to 2nd are smooth and hassle free. This issue persists weather the engine is hot or cold and occurs at high and low revs.

I brought the car to a VW garage for assessment and I was told that they could not find any fault with the gearbox and perhaps they could not replicate what I was experiencing. The linkage cables were tightened and I was told this may help with the issue, this has made no difference.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any advise as to what the issue may be and how I should proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Should be a good tight change i've the same car, reverse can be notchy at times but forward gears are never a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Could be the syncros. I have seen posts before on the Mk7 manual box which I presume is the same. Bring it back to the dealer and persevere with them.

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/7104-manual-gearbox-fault-diagnosed/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

With such a new car i'd be sticking to my guns with the dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Vtown2 wrote: »
    I recently purchased a GTI MK7.5 manual and I have found the gear box to be quiet temperamental. I have found shifting into 1st gear and from 1st to 2nd gear quiet notchy and grinding. Several times the gear stick would did not slot into second gear at all until shifting back to neutral and and going again. Mabey 1 in 3 gear shift from 1st to 2nd are smooth and hassle free. This issue persists weather the engine is hot or cold and occurs at high and low revs.

I brought the car to a VW garage for assessment and I was told that they could not find any fault with the gearbox and perhaps they could not replicate what I was experiencing. The linkage cables were tightened and I was told this may help with the issue, this has made no difference.

Has anyone experienced similar issues or have any advise as to what the issue may be and how I should proceed?

We have had to adjust the cables on lots of these. The side to side position often needs a slight adjustment to correct either a notchy 1st to 2nd shift or (more commonly) an annoying tendency to inadvertently select reverse gear instead of 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

UP GTi vs Mk2 Golf GTi drag race

https://youtu.be/K3dsUugzAXw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

tossy wrote: »
    Much better choices out there, Michelin Pilot sports or Goodyear F1's would be the pick of the bunch.

I'm finding the new Eagle F1 AS5 very good so far, better wet grip than the AS3, haven't really had any proper dry weather to test them in the dry yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Vtown2

Appreciate the advise all! I must bring it back to the same service and persevere with them!

Just back from Berlin, nice handful of GTI, R, Cupra and S3/RS3 around. Lots of AMG, M series and S5/6 etc. Savage grumble out of them. Just as many Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche too...

The roads there look like absolute butter, no matter where we went in the city. Wouldn't need to worry about 19" wheels or DCC there that's for sure.

I believe winter tyres are required there, good few GTIs on 17" Dijon wheels, does not look right! At least on an R they blend in as an R-Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I thought the same about winter tyres in germany but seemingly not the case unless its properly snowy or icy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just back from Berlin, nice handful of GTI, R, Cupra and S3/RS3 around. Lots of AMG, M series and S5/6 etc. Savage grumble out of them. Just as many Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche too...

The roads there look like absolute butter, no matter where we went in the city. Wouldn't need to worry about 19" wheels or DCC there that's for sure.

I believe winter tyres are required there, good few GTIs on 17" Dijon wheels, does not look right! At least on an R they blend in as an R-Line.

TBH even here I think the GTI (well Mk7.5 anyway) is perfectly fine on 19 inch wheels without DCC. Thats the set up mine has and I honestly thought it would be far worse. I have never actually found it very hard or uncomfortable. Last week I drove 1k km in it across a fair mix of roads and never noticed it being uncomfortable.

I am sure the DCC is a nice feature and would be good to have but when the choice of GTI's in Ireland is so limited you would be making it even a lot more limited if a buyer only considers GTIs that have DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No trade mark GTI red strip going through the front grill or headlight signature? Maybe it's just not the finished product yet.

I think it's there they just have it blacked out along with some of the bumper and top of the headlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Wheels remind me of the ones on the old Cavaliers and Astras GSi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

While yet to see a Mk8 in the flesh, the pics I've seen aren't really whetting my appetite from a design perspective. The side profile looks quite tall, to me it looks very similar to the current-gen Polo. While the rear and the rear light signatures don't look as good to my eyes as the 7.5.

mk8-vs-mk7-rear.png

Even though it's nearly 7 years old the mk7 still looks like a very fresh design, if that's the finished article (which I doubt as the ones revealed last month were much slicker), it will be a step backwards.

A MK7.5 GTi might be the last proper GTi.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Just back from Berlin..................

I believe winter tyres are required there.............

Effectively they are ......... https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/blog/listing/new-regulations-for-winter-tyres-germany/ ..........

"German law does not refer to winter tyres, but to tyres with winter properties. This covers all-season tyres in addition to winter tyres. The use of tyres with winter properties in winter conditions is mandatory. Winter conditions are defined as: ice, slippery conditions in snow, slush and slippery conditions caused by ice or frost. No fixed period is defined, so there is the possibility of winter conditions in periods other than the traditional winter months"

I'm in Germany quite a bit, I don't think I've ever gotten a rental car without the m&s designation on them.

"Regulations for the use of winter tyres in Germany have been tightened since 1 January 2018. Put simply it means that only winter tyres or all-season tyres with the Alpine symbol (snowflake symbol) will meet the new requirements"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

CIP4 wrote: »
    TBH even here I think the GTI (well Mk7.5 anyway) is perfectly fine on 19 inch wheels without DCC. Thats the set up mine has and I honestly thought it would be far worse. I have never actually found it very hard or uncomfortable. Last week I drove 1k km in it across a fair mix of roads and never noticed it being uncomfortable.

I am sure the DCC is a nice feature and would be good to have but when the choice of GTI's in Ireland is so limited you would be making it even a lot more limited if a buyer only considers GTIs that have DCC.

DCC is amazing in comfort mode it's as comfortable on the motorway as a mates C7 A6 and definitely more comfortable on B-roads.

Mk8 review. In German unfortunately

https://youtu.be/LMTtBAE8b5w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Why are they launching with that colour. It’s vile.

Those wheels don't look great either, the other wheels they had on the MK8 looked much nicer. They're nicer than the standard GTI wheels, IMO.

The turquoise/teal colour they had on the T-Cross is quite nice, don't know if it would suit the Golf but it would be nice to see something different than the turmeric yellow they pushed on the Mk7.5.

vw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭dmigsy

carsfan wrote: »
    My other query is dsg or manual.
    I'm used to auto for last 8 years and like the ease of use.
    My wife says an auto gti is an oxymoron and may as well not bother.
    The manual on the demo I drove was very nice however.

I have the DSG on my R. I can't change gear as fast as it can. It's handier, faster and more relaxing to drive. No regrets - I know I'd be cursing the manual when sitting in traffic if I'd gone that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Photo quality is poor but apparently this is the Mk8 R:

unnamed.jpg?itok=u4s6_5CO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Slightly off topic about the new Golf lads but the right place to ask I think!

Missus left her credit card on the slidey cup cover thing and forgot about. She pulled back the cover and the credit card disappeared through the minuscule gap at the back. I only had a brief look tonight and didn't do anything since it's dark. Is it possible to get access to this and remove the trim around the area?

49134285658_ff83d5cefa_c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Wailin wrote: »
    Slightly off topic about the new Golf lads but the right place to ask I think!

Missus left her credit card on the slidey cup cover thing and forgot about. She pulled back the cover and the credit card disappeared through the minuscule gap at the back. I only had a brief look tonight and didn't do anything since it's dark. Is it possible to get access to this and remove the trim around the area?

49134285658_ff83d5cefa_c.jpg

Probably a good thing with Black Friday coming up and a 53 Degrees North loyalty card to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭Casati

bazz26 wrote: »
    Photo quality is poor but apparently this is the Mk8 R:

unnamed.jpg?itok=u4s6_5CO

That looks awful, I’m seeing Toyota Auris inspiration in the profile

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement