Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

I'd say if we're incredibly lucky, the new GTI might get announced at the Geneva Motor Show (similar to the Mk7) but I'd say it will realistically early 2021 before we have it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is the GTE coming with the first batch of cars. Seems an interesting proposition with the added power.
    It's a car that puzzles me as it's so expensive, if it was a lot cheaper than the GTI would make more sense as it's more than just a fuel saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Had some VWR Racingline springs and new tyres fitted along with 4 wheel alignment today at Daltons, went for Goodyear F1 AS5. Car feels great after it. May need some spacers to complete the look.
    f938a2216d0d89b65c43fc83ed0f21a5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Sitting nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Had some VWR Racingline springs and new tyres fitted along with 4 wheel alignment today at Daltons, went for Goodyear F1 AS5. Car feels great after it. May need some spacers to complete the look.

Looks great. Did you lower it by much with the new springs and how is the ride now compared to standard?

I also fitted AS5s to my car over the summer, very happy with their grip and ride levels.

• Advertisement

Raclingline say 20-30 mm, i'd say it's about 30. It's just the right amount. Still very comfortable, very little compromise in comfort and the handling is much improved. I'm still scrubbing in the front tyres so haven't pushed on much but i can definitely feel a difference.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    I'm still scrubbing in the front tyres so haven't pushed on much but i can definitely feel a difference.

Drive her on lad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Definitely requires spacers when you lower in and still have the 7.5J stock wheels on it. I have a full set of Forge ones I used when I still had the Austins, they're cheap enough and you'd get away with 10's/12's on the rear only if you like, it improves the look massively.

dar83 wrote: »
    Definitely requires spacers when you lower in and still have the 7.5J stock wheels on it. I have a full set of Forge ones I used when I still had the Austins, they're cheap enough and you'd get away with 10's/12's on the rear only if you like, it improves the look massively.

Yeah I kinda knew that alright, longer term plan is to change the wheels but i'll prob get spacers in the mean time while i still have the Nogaro's. They need a refurb too, they were badly done before i got the car so plan is to get that done in spring, no point now when the roads are so crap for winter. Thinking of going with a grey powder coat instead of the diamond cut finish as it doesn't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Any concerns about potential impact on wheel bearing load and suspension geometry by fitting spacers?

Does anyone who has fitted spacers have feedback on if it negatively impacted ride, handling, parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

Small change to my Mk7 R

Change mirror indicators from stock to smoked.
    They are also the 'dynamic' moving style light which I really like (same as rear indicators on the 7.5)

Original:
    v1P7LWO.jpg
    New:
    ISzuoiL.jpg

eljono wrote: »
    Any concerns about potential impact on wheel bearing load and suspension geometry by fitting spacers?

Does anyone who has fitted spacers have feedback on if it negatively impacted ride, handling, parts?

Fitted spacers to many cars no impact on handling, might tramline slightly more on a bad surface but not an issue. Biggest issue for me was damageto paintwork, fitted spacers to an 8L S3 and the lower front arch nehind the front wheels was destroyed. If i was doing it again i'd fit some kind of protection to that area.
    Killinator wrote: »
    Small change to my Mk7 R

Change mirror indicators from stock to smoked.
    They are also the 'dynamic' moving style light which I really like (same as rear indicators on the 7.5)
    Original:
    QYygBsj
    New:
    X8yHLpJ

Pics not working for me, know the mod though and they do look well, how's the car going for you ?

tossy wrote: »
    Pics not working for me, know the mod though and they do look well, how's the car going for you ?

Should be working fine now.
    Easy 10 minute plug and play job.

I'm loving it. There's nothing it doesn't do better than the old R32....except the sound but I've even grown to like that

Should be working fine now.
    Easy 10 minute plug and play job.

I'm loving it. There's nothing it doesn't do better than the old R32....except the sound but I've even grown to like that

Working grand now.

Yeah the sound is not as special, decent exhaust with more burbles will help but still no match for the VR,. Do you have link to the ones you bought ?

Working grand now.

Yeah the sound is not as special, decent exhaust with more burbles will help but still no match for the VR,. Do you have link to the ones you bought ?

Yeah, an exhaust update is for the future, I've it set so the flaps are always open so it's always sounding as good as it can.

Link:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283480089292

Yeah, an exhaust update is for the future, I've it set so the flaps are always open so it's always sounding as good as it can.

Link:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283480089292

Nice one for the link.

I coded the flaps a few weeks ago but coded them back after one driver, very boomy/drony.

Nice one for the link.

I coded the flaps a few weeks ago but coded them back after one driver, very boomy/drony.

If I'd have come from my old Mk5 GTI I would have found it too loud but given the noise off the 32 I don't find it too overbearing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Have you driven a GTi and tried out a DSG and Manual in both cars? The GTi is a lot more civilised, the R is just bonkers. Reminds me more of a WRX than a Golf.

You do know the new R, GTi and GTE(245bhp) will be here in the next maybe 7mts. Saying that a gaggle of blondes pulled up beside my GTi a few weeks ago asking all about the car, they loved it so it's still got pulling power.

Hard to know which one to pick out of the current batch on sale, I'd want a manual, my mates got a dsg and I much prefer driving mine.

I just want something wild, exciting, and lunacy as a last car until we're forced to buy electric muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

So I’ve lost both sets of keys I have for my Mk7 R. What’s the best way to get replacement and what’s expected cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

2016 GTi for sale in cork only 20k miles for 27450.

• Advertisement

So I’ve lost both sets of keys I have for my Mk7 R. What’s the best way to get replacement and what’s expected cost?

Do you have key replacement cover ? I'd be contacting them and a main dealer. I imagine they can order a plastic key of some sort from the VIN to get the doors open at least so they can code the new keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If your going to spend any money at the dealer you may aswell just order a proper key and use that to open the doors to tow the car in for coding. A blade is around €60 iirc and that's literally just the blade, a key is "only" around €180.

Key fast and the likes do a very good replica key for around €100 I believe. The bonus of using the likes of key fast is they will call out to you, cut and code a key on the spot, same day. A VW key will take 5 working days from ordering it, you'll need provide your license and logbook to order it and when it arrives, you still have to get the car towed to them to get it working.

If your going to spend any money at the dealer you may aswell just order a proper key and use that to open the doors to tow the car in for coding. A blade is around €60 iirc and that's literally just the blade, a key is "only" around €180.

Key fast and the likes do a very good replica key for around €100 I believe. The bonus of using the likes of key fast is they will call out to you, cut and code a key on the spot, same day. A VW key will take 5 working days from ordering it, you'll need provide your license and logbook to order it and when it arrives, you still have to get the car towed to them to get it working.

Would key fast etc be able to help? i always thought they needed an open car with one working key to code a new one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, they can do the whole rodeo. I lost the only key we had for a borrowed Ford Ragner last year, the jeep was locked in the front garden and they came out, cut and coded a key on the spot for it, it was a company in Bray, I think it was Keyfast. You'll usually get a non genuine key, but it'd get you going again.

Good to know.

Thanks folks. I found one of the sets of keys so the pressure is off, but going to look into getting a spare in any case. For that, strikes me that key fast etc would be the best option.

Next question - what is the tyre of choice these days? I gather that a few years ago, the Continental Sport Contact 6 were considered very good. Is that still the case or are there better choices these days?

Next question - what is the tyre of choice these days? I gather that a few years ago, the Continental Sport Contact 6 were considered very good. Is that still the case or are there better choices these days?

Much better choices out there, Michelin Pilot sports or Goodyear F1's would be the pick of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah, they can do the whole rodeo. I lost the only key we had for a borrowed Ford Ragner last year, the jeep was locked in the front garden and they came out, cut and coded a key on the spot for it, it was a company in Bray, I think it was Keyfast. You'll usually get a non genuine key, but it'd get you going again.

So basically they can turn up at any car and code /cut a new key? Thats cool and scary at the same time. Do they need some code form the manufacturer to make it all work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Next question - what is the tyre of choice these days?

Tossy is bang on about the Michelin Pilot sports, it's a brilliant tyre. I took the guys here's recommendation of them, you can't go wrong great traction in the wet and dry.
    Not a fan of the Goodyear f1, didn't happen on a GTi but I blew two of them off my previous car, never again will I buy Goodyear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement