Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2015 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Im 21 nearly 22 weeks now and while my morning sickness has drastically improved, I do still get 'sick days' where the nausea is horrible and I get sick maybe twice on those days. On the days I don't have it I noticed that I seem to get very bad heartburn.

I have doctors appointment on Monday and im wondering whether or not to ask him for something but I don't want to seem like a moan if its just part of being pregnant. I also don't want to be a martyr about it and going through sickness if there is something that I can take safely then I don't see the point in not taking it and moaning all the time about it instead. Its just that with my other pregnancy, I didn't experience this at all so I know that it can be more positive. When I get the nausea and vomiting, it really gets me down for the day. I just feel like its never going to end, then when I get a good day, im like a different person and have so much more energy.

I know being pregnant, you have to take the good with the bad and im not in agony and there are a lot of people here that have described situations worse than mine so I was just wondering, do you just accept this or are any of you saying it to your doctors and taking anything for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭greenorchard

Saralee, I think there's no harm in mentioning it to your doctor & asking them about your options.
    My GP prescribed me medication at my last appointment and that was without me asking for anything. He asked me how I was feeling & when I said I was still sick he straight away offered me a prescription. I wasn't going to say no! I'm still nauseous every day but I haven't vomited in a week so I'm hoping I'm over the worst of it now. I've only taken the tablets once but it's nice to know they're there if I have another bad day of vomiting.

Saralee, I think there's no harm in mentioning it to your doctor & asking them about your options.
    My GP prescribed me medication at my last appointment and that was without me asking for anything. He asked me how I was feeling & when I said I was still sick he straight away offered me a prescription. I wasn't going to say no! I'm still nauseous every day but I haven't vomited in a week so I'm hoping I'm over the worst of it now. I've only taken the tablets once but it's nice to know they're there if I have another bad day of vomiting.

Thanks greenorchard! Yea i think I will just say it to him because he so mentioned to me before that it was no problem.

He is a new gp for me and my last one was the kind that expected you to suffer something out as long as possible before taking anything. This one seems more sympathetic so no harm in saying it :)

My sickness has been easing a good bit over the last week & finally today is the first day I don't even feel nauseous since November! Happy dance! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My sickness has been easing a good bit over the last week & finally today is the first day I don't even feel nauseous since November! Happy dance! :)

Happy days Greenorchard! Can't imagine being sick for that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Excellent news! Delighted for you. Hopefully it will be a distant memory soon!

It feels pretty amazing I must say! Only took 22 weeks :p
    How are you feeling now Wholeheartedly, are you any better?

It feels pretty amazing I must say! Only took 22 weeks :p
    How are you feeling now Wholeheartedly, are you any better?

Overall I would say good, especially compared to a few months ago. Still experiencing nausea everyday though, mainly it's a sign I must eat or if I over do it, like I "power walked" up a hill at the end of a walk today and was in bits with sickness after it. Also being in the car straight after eating, especially in the morning. Also had to give up the vitamins I was taking as they were making me throw up. But much happier in myself and that is due to lack of 24 hour a day sickness, I know you understand!

Just think of the easy babas we are going to have to make up for it ;););)

Just think of the easy babas we are going to have to make up for it ;););)

Ha! Here's hoping ;) Glad to hear you're a bit better, hopefully the nausea will disappear fully for you soon

I have been much better the last few days. I have gone a full week without getting sick and even feel my energy levels coming back.

Other than that, I have been very thirsty especially I want milk, and it has to be the full fat stuff and im also craving fresh oranges which are not to great for heartburn but they are so tasty :)
    (not sure if they are cravings, I just know I want them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 nettie1

Hi Ladies,
    Just wondering how everyone is doing on the weight gain front? I was very active before getting pregnancy and ate fairly healthily but enjoyed my treats.
    I just haven't the energy or the motivation to do as much exercise now and my weight has shot up! I'm way beyond the maximum weight gain recommended.
    Any ideas as to how to get the motivation back? Anybody else in my position?

nettie1 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,
    Just wondering how everyone is doing on the weight gain front? I was very active before getting pregnancy and ate fairly healthily but enjoyed my treats.
    I just haven't the energy or the motivation to do as much exercise now and my weight has shot up! I'm way beyond the maximum weight gain recommended.

My weight gain is on track but if I hadn't been sick so much it'd probably be a lot higher. Maybe try getting out for some walks to get back on track with exercise? Should be easier with the weather warming up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Im not sure what the recommended weight gain is. Ive gained about 12 lbs. I think i put on around 25lbs last time so hoping this time will be similar.

Ive a full on pregnant belly now no mistaking what it is. My almost 2 year has started to kiss the baby in Mammy's belly....so cute.

nettie1 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

Hey nettie, it's a shame your energy hasn't come back. Mine is still less than before conceiving but better than the first few months. Mostly just walking, small cycles, some swimming. We mind a dog during the week and that's helpful for motivation! Maybe borrow a friends dog? ;) or a walking group?

I am a healthy eater, but am also above the weight gain, but I can't really see where it is! Mostly Bump and Boobs, feel normal other than that. I think some people just gain differently, some throughout the whole pregnancy and some more quickly near the end.

Have you checked with your midwife? I have an appointment next week and plan to have a chat about the weight. Couldn't be eating much less to be honest, still not that hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WeatherRocks

I've gained about 17 pounds and I'm 21 weeks now, My gp hasn't said anything about it but looking online it is over the recommended weight gain. I'm not too worried about it though as I am eating healthy food and doing gentle exercise.

Is anyone considering a home birth? This is my first baby so never had the hospital experience but it seems like it would be way more relaxing and comfortable and seems like it is just as safe.

I got the gentle birth CDs and think they are great. I think a positive attitude towards the birth will make a huge difference. How did some of you find the workshop?

Sorry to hear some of you are still feeling sick! I'm definitely getting back pain and pelvic pain now as my bump gets bigger!
    Baby is moving around alot it's so nice to feel!

I'm going to the workshop in 2 weeks so will let you know how it goes. Have been listening to the CDs the last few weeks though I need to start listening earlier in the day as I put them on when I'm going to bed & keep falling asleep & not hearing most of it! Though that's a good complaint for me - I've always been an insomniac so it's nice to be falling asleep quickly most nights these days :)

Haven't had any back or pelvic pain yet though I found I was getting hip pain from lying on my side at night recently - I'm usually a stomach sleeper so sleeping on my side for long periods really hurts my hips. Extra pillows seems to have sorted this though cos I've been grand the last few days.

I've gained about 17 pounds and I'm 21 weeks now, My gp hasn't said anything about it but looking online it is over the recommended weight gain. I'm not too worried about it though as I am eating healthy food and doing gentle exercise.

Is anyone considering a home birth? This is my first baby so never had the hospital experience but it seems like it would be way more relaxing and comfortable and seems like it is just as safe.

I got the gentle birth CDs and think they are great. I think a positive attitude towards the birth will make a huge difference. How did some of you find the workshop?

Sorry to hear some of you are still feeling sick! I'm definitely getting back pain and pelvic pain now as my bump gets bigger!
    Baby is moving around alot it's so nice to feel!

I'd like the idea of a home birth but there are a couple of factors that would prevent me unfortunately. I had a hospital birth with my first. The care I received was generally great, especially when I had a post partum haemorrhage. However, I'll have a 20 month old at home this time and the idea of 3-5 nights away from her is awful, that would be the main attraction of a home birth to me. Have you looked into it? I thought that would be something that would have had to have been organised at an earlier stage in the pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 WeatherRocks

Im also finding it hard to sleep on my side, Ive read that its good to sleep on your left hand side so I try but I always wake up on my back! This might not be comfortable when the bump gets bigger though. Lots of pillows does seem to help :)
    I get quite bad pain around my abdomen when walking now unless I'm walking really slowly so I hope this doesn't last the next 4 months.

Roesy - I didnt realise that it would be 3-5 nights in hospital! I asked my doctor yesterday about a home birth and he didnt recommend it as its my first baby so not technically low risk. I have read a bit about it and it looks just as safe as hospital birth if all went well first time round. Also I'm sure I read on the nmh website that it can be organised up to 28/32 weeks. I would like to avoid intervention as much as possible so thats why I wanted a home birth but I think its best to chose wherever you feel most comfortable.

Im also finding it hard to sleep on my side, Ive read that its good to sleep on your left hand side so I try but I always wake up on my back! This might not be comfortable when the bump gets bigger though. Lots of pillows does seem to help :)
    I get quite bad pain around my abdomen when walking now unless I'm walking really slowly so I hope this doesn't last the next 4 months.

Roesy - I didnt realise that it would be 3-5 nights in hospital! I asked my doctor yesterday about a home birth and he didnt recommend it as its my first baby so not technically low risk. I have read a bit about it and it looks just as safe as hospital birth if all went well first time round. Also I'm sure I read on the nmh website that it can be organised up to 28/32 weeks. I would like to avoid intervention as much as possible so thats why I wanted a home birth but I think its best to chose wherever you feel most comfortable.

In Cork 3 nights seems to be standard. I was in for 4 last time because I was induced so 3 nights after she was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I'm a big back sleeper normally, up until about 3 weeks ago (34 weeks now) I was still able to comfortably sleep on my back when I wanted, I usually switch between that and each side. But now I can't sleep on my back or even sit in a recliner without my breathing being affected and getting dizzy, so I definitely think your body will tell you when you shouldn't be doing it or it won't be comfortable/sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

I am due my second baby in July. Time seems to be dragging as I am so excited!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

This seems to be a lull period alright especially for those of us who are feeling well. I find time is dragging now. I'm 22+5 and my next hospital visit is at 32 weeks. It seems like an eternity away. The good news though is I am feeling loads of movement with the last week. Managed to get it on video and all. It's surreal to see it move especially when I don't have a big bump and for others to be able to see it. It's so exciting.

Sometimes I feel like it's dragging & other times I can't believe how quick it's flying! Bad nausea is back with a bang today, hoping it's just cos I've very tired, fingers crossed.

Am feeling lots of movement too which is lovely. Husband has only felt one or two little kicks so far though cos baby keeps trolling him by stopping kicking as soon as he puts his hand on my belly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pudner7

It's crazy that you still get nausea. Could it last the full 40 weeks? Fingers crossed it doesn't obviously. I'm shattered this week too and I thought I'd feel like I had all my energy back but I'm sleeping loads. Even napping after work and still sleeping at night although I do wake every time I have to turn. I find I just burn out really quickly these days.

Isn't it gas how they stop kicking when someone else tries to feel it. It's like they know. I had a very peppery dinner on Saturday and I could see my little bump going crazy and easily recorded 5 or 6 kicks. It either loves or hates pepper.

Pudner7 wrote: »
    It's crazy that you still get nausea. Could it last the full 40 weeks? Fingers crossed it doesn't obviously. I'm shattered this week too and I thought I'd feel like I had all my energy back but I'm sleeping loads. Even napping after work and still sleeping at night although I do wake every time I have to turn. I find I just burn out really quickly these days.

Isn't it gas how they stop kicking when someone else tries to feel it. It's like they know. I had a very peppery dinner on Saturday and I could see my little bump going crazy and easily recorded 5 or 6 kicks. It either loves or hates pepper.

Apparently it can last 40 weeks but I think it's rare enough so hopefully not! I did have a few good days there so I'm hoping I'll be ok tomorrow. I haven't vomited in over 2 weeks either so that alone is a massive improvement. Lots of gagging today but kept my food down.

Yeah it's funny alright, I'll have my hand there & it'll be kicking away but as soon as it's my husband's hand it doesn't want to know! I got a few strong kicks there while I was in a meeting earlier. The movement had been pretty gentle for the most part up to now cos I have an anterior placenta. Definitely getting stronger now! That's funny about the pepper. Mine either loves or hates going on the bus home from work cos it's always really active then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

So today was effectively my last day in work. I'm taking annual leave until the beginning of may then my consultant has signed me off work for the last 2 months due to exhaustion. My workload has just gotten bigger and bigger and it's been a bit of a nightmare.

Now I can concentrate on being pregnant and try to get some enjoyment out of it. Relief!

Nead21 wrote: »
    So today was effectively my last day in work. I'm taking annual leave until the beginning of may then my consultant has signed me off work for the last 2 months due to exhaustion. My workload has just gotten bigger and bigger and it's been a bit of a nightmare.

Now I can concentrate on being pregnant and try to get some enjoyment out of it. Relief!

Wow, good for you! That is brilliant. Work can be done by someone else, growing your baby can not!! I hope you can relax and enjoy it now.

When I had my first child, my contract wasn't extended in the job I was in at the time. I finished up about a month and a half before the baby. It was great to be off but I had been so busy with work that I was kind of shocked to have nothing to do.

I became a bit of a cleaning freak haha which I now know was nesting. I was constantly cleaning and organising. I'd take all the babies clothes that i had bought out of the press and reorganise them, packed my hospital bag and unpacked it about 50 times, kept writing out lists of things to be done which I don't really normally do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Sorry if this is a stupid question but how is your gp signing you off for after annual leave due to exhaustion, I would've thought they'd have to sign you off now for it or wait until after your annual leave to see how you were doing?

• Advertisement

I have 14 weeks left in work, not that I'm counting down yet or anything ;)

Advertisement