Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike On ! Proposed New Junior Cert **See Mod Warning Post #1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

If any ASTI member crosses the picket-he or she should be reported to Head office. Doesnt matter if they are management or not. The web site is pretty clear. If you dont report them-dont complain about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Our school I closed completely. ETB said teachers had to make themselves available but didn't ask the to cross the picket. Same option was given to office and ancillary staff who took the option.

I agree that its fair that if teachers are off cleaners should be the same. It takes the difficult decision about crossing the picket away and gives them a free ride. They will benefit from any gains,we make but wont put their shoulder to the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

But isn't the strike about money really.

It's about teachers losing money by not correcting junior cert papers + the extra (unpaid) work in correcting summer 3rd year exams.

No sympathy here.
    Maybe if ye went on strike to abolish the employment contract inequalities present in the religious schools ye might garner more public sympathy.

Actually it isn't. Proportionally very few teachers correct for the SEC in the summer. I'm the only one that does it in my school.

I can't speak for all teachers but loss of earnings around junior cert correction has never come up in conversation in my staffroom over the last few weeks since the strike was announced

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Fair play to all the teachers out on strike today. External assessment and the anonymity of each and every student regardless of who they are or where they are from is an excellent aspect of our education system. I hope you win the battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

Actually it isn't. Proportionally very few teachers correct for the SEC in the summer. I'm the only one that does it in my school.

I can't speak for all teachers but loss of earnings around junior cert correction has never come up in conversation in my staffroom over the last few weeks since the strike was announced

Don't feed them rainbowtrout! I've reported that post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

acequion wrote: »
    Don't feed them rainbowtrout! I've reported that post.

It's all about the money.

Nobody is buying the charade that teachers are striking to retain standards in education.
    If you really don't want to correct your own student's exams (like you do in four of six years at the moment) why didn't you suggest that you'd swap scripts with another school in your area.

It's ALL about money. It's always about money.

Feel free to report me to the principal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Nobody is buying the charade that teachers are striking to retain standards in education.
    If you really don't want to correct your own student's exams (like you do in four of six years at the moment) why didn't you suggest that you'd swap scripts with another school in your area.

WRONG
    Out of almost 30 teachers in my school ONLY ONE corrects exams in the Summer.....and she corrects Leaving Cert, so NONE correct Junior Cert !! This has nothing to do with money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thin line between this and trolling, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt, for now.
    You seem quite ill-informed about the system (see your 'religious schools' post). Are you a teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,857 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

chippers wrote: »
    Fair play to all the teachers out on strike today. External assessment and the anonymity of each and every student regardless of who they are or where they are from is an excellent aspect of our education system. I hope you win the battle!
    Well said sir.

And eveybody who has kids and wants a fair edcuational system should be supporting the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's not about money at all.
    I don't want to correct my students work, nor do I want to correct any other students work in such small batches as 25-30 scripts.

The reason the marking process in July takes 26 days is because each contracted examiner for the SEC marks 350-400 papers depending on the subject, level and number of papers.

The examiners attend 2 day marking conferences and have plenty of support from advising examiners when carrying out this very important and extremely onerous work.

It's very hard to explain I someone who hasn't done marking for the SEC just how difficult it is.

And as for the money side of it, pull the other one.
    I "earned" €4500 Marking LC papers this summer and received €1900 net.

The main reason I mark papers is because it is fantastic CPD and makes me a better teacher by helping me identify pitfalls and issues learners have with parts of the syllabus

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Thin line between this and trolling, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt, for now.
    You seem quite ill-informed about the system (see your 'religious schools' post). Are you a teacher?

Do you have to be a teacher to post here?

My point was that teachers are quite happy to accept that their job is the only job in the country that doesn't have to comply with equality in the workplace rules. Not an issue worth striking about?

However, the issue that they chose to go on strike about smells totally of a money issue to me, and not as worthy of going on strike as the above issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you have to be a teacher to post here?

My point was that teachers are quite happy to accept that their job is the only job in the country that doesn't have to comply with equality in the workplace rules. Not an issue worth striking about?

However, the issue that they chose to go on strike about smells totally of a money issue to me, and not as worthy of going on strike as the above issue.

It's not about the money as others have pointed out. No, of course you do not have to be a teacher to post here, but it's usually fairly obvious when someone isn't.

The two-tiered situation which was brought about by the savaging of the public service (and so affects many other lines of work, not just teaching) is a different issue altogether and while not directly related to this dispute may partly be responsible for the strike action in a 'last straw' context.

You still don't seem to be getting my point.
    Schools are allowed to discriminate based on religion, sexual orientation or marital status. No where else is this allowed. But the teachers tolerate and accept this "criminal" behaviour. Surely this is more worthy of a fight than the "supposed cause" of today's strike!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

That's very childish.

It is about money. It's about the government saving money at the expense of your child's education. They don't seem to care that there is no way for teachers to assess their own students work in a fair, transparent and consistent manner.

You don't seem to think much of teachers or the education system but Ireland has an international reputation to maintain. In the most recent international league tables, Irish students achieved above the EU average in reading, maths and sciences. That hasn't happened because teachers are lazy and money grubbing.

What equality in the workplace are you talking about exactly?? You are entitled to your rather cynical view about money but it aint about that. I wont bother dealing with your opinion because even the mainstream media accept that and the line "Its always about the money" while cute, is vacuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Are teachers ok with correcting a different schools papers?

School a swaps with school b?

That can be anonymous

You still don't seem to be getting my point.
    Schools are allowed to discriminate based on religion, sexual orientation or marital status. No where else is this allowed. But the teachers tolerate and accept this "criminal" behaviour. Surely this is more worthy of a fight than the "supposed cause" of today's strike!!!

Pure bull. Except for Religion- Protestant schools can give preference to their own . Catholic schools dont care anymore unless you are teaching Religion. They wont ask. As for Orientation-how exactly would that arise in an interview??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭amacca

That can be anonymous

If it was truly anonymous (I'm talking iron clad guarantee here) and everyone shared the load equally then perhaps…+ other concessions would need to be granted imo

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

That can be anonymous

That may be suggested and it actually does happen when teachers mark their own students mock papers. But it still doesn't allow for enough oversight or consistency. At the minute anyone assessing exam papers has to send samples of their marking back to SEC for review and correction. You're not going to have over 25000 teachers having their marking monitored in this way. It will allow errors to slip through the cracks and students may start to say things like Teacher X marks us easier than Teacher Y. Could lead to a lot of tension at parent teacher meetings and a lack of trust between students and teachers.

That can be anonymous

No, I'm not. There still isn't a national standard being set or checks being done by external examiners.

Here's a basic science question: Iodine turns blue black in the presence of starch.

A student is asked on their JC Science paper for the colour change for this scenario.

Student A writes blue
    Student B writes black
    Student C writes blue black
    Student D writes purple

Which answer is correct? Are all going to be considered correct? It might seem like a simple question with a simple answer, but the bottom line is that without a marking scheme some teachers would only accept blue black and would probably be considered harsh markers. Some would accept all four answers above and be considered easy markers. Even with a marking scheme which only says blue black there will be some teachers who will accept all four answers above. Whichever teacher marks your paper could have a real effect on your overall grade. That's why we have marking conferences with agreed marking schemes for JC and LC exams currently. It's also why there could be a vast discrepancy between the way teachers around the country mark the same paper and assess their own classes, leaving out their personal relationship with the student and having taught them for three years etc. That example is a very simple one, but consider that effect on the way all questions are marked on a paper and there could be a very real difference in the grades students receive in two different schools giving similar answers.

The Department of Education is proposing that there be no external assessment or monitoring for the 40% continuous assessment. So a student could achieve a C in one school in their project and an A in another depending on who is marking it. I don't see how that is fair. That's not even taking into account the anonymity aspect of it.

• Advertisement

Pure bull. Except for Religion- Protestant schools can give preference to their own . Catholic schools dont care anymore unless you are teaching Religion. They wont ask. As for Orientation-how exactly would that arise in an interview??

Do schools have a legal out from the normal equality at work legislation?
    Yes they do!
    Whether they use it is irrelevant!

No, I'm not. There still isn't a national standard being set or checks being done by external examiners.

Here's a basic science question: Iodine turns blue black in the presence of starch.

A student is asked on their JC Science paper for the colour change for this scenario.

Student A writes blue
    Student B writes black
    Student C writes blue black
    Student D writes purple

Which answer is correct? Are all going to be considered correct? It might seem like a simple question with a simple answer, but the bottom line is that without a marking scheme some teachers would only accept blue black and would probably be considered harsh markers. Some would accept all four answers above and be considered easy markers. Even with a marking scheme which only says blue black there will be some teachers who will accept all four answers above. Whichever teacher marks your paper could have a real effect on your overall grade. That's why we have marking conferences with agreed marking schemes for JC and LC exams currently. It's also why there could be a vast discrepancy between the way teachers around the country mark the same paper and assess their own classes, leaving out their personal relationship with the student and having taught them for three years etc. That example is a very simple one, but consider that effect on the way all questions are marked on a paper and there could be a very real difference in the grades students receive in two different schools giving similar answers.

The Department of Education is proposing that there be no external assessment or monitoring for the 40% continuous assessment. So a student could achieve a C in one school in their project and an A in another depending on who is marking it. I don't see how that is fair. That's not even taking into account the anonymity aspect of it.

After reading this I have to agree 100% despite what I posted earlier - this thing has the potential to be a huge mess. I'm glad we are out against it and I hope people will actually start to question why the minister really wants this change.

I think if they read what you wrote above its fairly clear what just one of the problems with it is.

The swapping idea is a non runner, because ,is that not what happens now-de facto with SEC.? But they are paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The Dept's proposal was external moderation of 10-15% of school-based assessment, wasn't it?

The swapping idea is a non runner, because ,is that not what happens now-de facto with SEC.? But they are paid?

On a very large scale, I suppose it is, except the correctors are 'swapping' with maybe 20 schools of non-correctors. They are paid and then they are also checked, and not checked just once, but multiple times during the correcting process.

Likewise in the subjects where school-based marking happens at the moment, the school-issued marks are checked by visiting external monitors to ensure a national standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,160 ✭✭✭✭km79

who will be responsible for transport of papers from school A to school B?
    what happens if a paper goes missing during transportation?
    who pays for cost of transportation if schools are miles apart for example in Donegal ?
    It really really gets on my nerves when people come in with this statements about how they would do things so easily without ANY thought whatsoever put into it.
    Everyone knows better than the people who actually do the job !!!!
    I've said it before I'll say it again .......do people go onto other professions forums telling them how badly they do their job and what a simple job it is really......or is it just this one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

On top of the previous post, what about discrepancies in numbers? I have 18 students, the other school has 30 so I get double the work? What if I have three/four JC classes and other colleagues have none? What if I haven't taught my second subject in years, do I still correct it?

km79 wrote: »
    who will be responsible for transport of papers from school A to school B?
    what happens if a paper goes missing during transportation?
    who pays for cost of transportation if schools are miles apart for example in Donegal ?
    It really really gets on my nerves when people come in with this statements about how they would do things so easily without ANY thought whatsoever put into it.
    Everyone knows better than the people who actually do the job !!!!
    I've said it before I'll say it again .......do people go onto other professions forums telling them how badly they do their job and what a simple job it is really......or is it just this one ?

Get used to it…everyone thinks because they went to school they know what its like to work in one or run one and the believe they could do it better.

It would be nice if they had to under the conditions that currently exist…..I have a feeling they just might change their mind.

The Dept's proposal was external moderation of 10-15% of school-based assessment, wasn't it?

I still don't think that cuts it if there is no national standard to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Ok so back to swapping papers between school a and b...

That iodine answer doesn't make sense because all they would need is to issue every teacher with a marking scheme.

Accept the following answers....

Do not accept these answers.....

As for the transport costs etc....don't you realise those transport costs are already paid by the state?

A rural school in Donegal for example, their papers are all packaged up and sent off to wherever to be corrected.

It'd cost less to transport them to the next school over.

And who's responsible if it's lost? I assume the same person who is responsible if a paper gets lost at the moment!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement