Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Irish Times have restored UTV programme listings to their old slot from today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

icdg wrote: »

Which is only going to lead to confusion. Many will be looking for the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Which is only going to lead to confusion. Many will be looking for the channel.

It is available FTA, so it should be easy find so I'm not sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

The channel is not available on any EPG in Rep of Ireland

I presume UTV and Channel 5 listings are only published for the benefit of NI viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Its actually availabe via Freeview DTT in large portions of Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Meath and Fingal - in full HD

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The channel is not available on any EPG in Rep of Ireland

I presume UTV and Channel 5 listings are only published for the benefit of NI viewers

I have it on my Freesat TV and my Humax PVR.

Just because many journos do not have Freesat is no reason to not have it in the listings.

Freesat is FREE and should be promoted by the journos, not cast away as not available on the payTV to which they subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Its actually availabe via Freeview DTT in large portions of Donegal, Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Meath and Fingal - in full HD

Not to mention ITV Wales all down the East coast and parts of the South East coast as well. Since ITV bought UTV, the schedule is very similar, except for local news etc. Add to that, a lot of people using Freesat, ITV/UTV is most certainly on a lot of EPGs in ROI. That's why papers and magazines carry UTV NI listings, I also notice that TV Now has given UTV NI a much bigger listing this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

I have it on my Freesat TV and my Humax PVR.

Just because many journos do not have Freesat is no reason to not have it in the listings.

Freesat is FREE and should be promoted by the journos, not cast away as not available on the payTV to which they subscribe.

Sure, Republic viewers who watch one of the English ITV regions on satellite or ITV Wales on terrestrial overspill can read the UTV NI listings and determine which programmes are local, e.g. Rare Breed, and figure out that an English programme that is on UTV NI in the post-News at Ten slot is on at 8 in England (The same principle applies with regard to local programmes on ITV Wales).

Sure, Republic viewers who watch one of the English ITV regions on satellite or ITV Wales on terrestrial overspill can read the UTV NI listings and determine which programmes are local, e.g. Rare Breed, and figure out that an English programme that is on UTV NI in the post-News at Ten slot is on at 8 in England (The same principle applies with regard to local programmes on ITV Wales).

I know what you mean, it's exactly what I do. I watch ITV London HD, but use UTV NI listings in the papers. All prime time programming is on at the same time on all regions, it's only once or twice a week that the " Rare Breeds " etc swap time slots with programmes on the English regions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

kazoo106 wrote: »

receiving UTV etc is of great benefit to us. While we have Sky HD in the living room we only have the rooftop aerial providing the tv in the kitchen. I often leave UTV, E4, Filmfour, Spike on in the background while I make dinner each evening. The reception of the 5 public broadcasters is generally flawless most of the time, however during certain conditions signal break can happen particularly on other channels. Even RTE and TV3 can break up sometimes.

Since DTT went digital we get a far better more stable picture than the old analogue system where UTV and particularly BBC would be like watching through a snowstorm and often turn black and white. The only time we would ever get a clear reception of the ulster channels would be during certain moments of high pressure in the summer, sometimes picking up Welsh TV and even on one occassion I remember picking up French SECAM signals.

UTV certainly looks better now that it has ITV's general look and feel, doesn't come across as amateur as it did. It's only a matter of time before they fully rebrand UTV as ITV leaving STV the only one out.

It's a real shame that ITV had no interest in keeping UTV Ireland and developing it into an ITV Ireland and bringing 2,3 and 4 to Saorview and Sky EPG. I guess between copyright issues and the relatively small market here it just wasn't worth their while and easier just to sell everything to TV3.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    receiving UTV etc is of great benefit to us. While we have Sky HD in the living room we only have the rooftop aerial providing the tv in the kitchen. I often leave UTV, E4, Filmfour, Spike on in the background while I make dinner each evening. The reception of the 5 public broadcasters is generally flawless most of the time, however during certain conditions signal break can happen particularly on other channels. Even RTE and TV3 can break up sometimes.

Since DTT went digital we get a far better more stable picture than the old analogue system where UTV and particularly BBC would be like watching through a snowstorm and often turn black and white. The only time we would ever get a clear reception of the ulster channels would be during certain moments of high pressure in the summer, sometimes picking up Welsh TV and even on one occassion I remember picking up French SECAM signals.

UTV certainly looks better now that it has ITV's general look and feel, doesn't come across as amateur as it did. It's only a matter of time before they fully rebrand UTV as ITV leaving STV the only one out.

It's a real shame that ITV had no interest in keeping UTV Ireland and developing it into an ITV Ireland and bringing 2,3 and 4 to Saorview and Sky EPG. I guess between copyright issues and the relatively small market here it just wasn't worth their while and easier just to sell everything to TV3.

There's no indication that ITV plc will drop the UTV name in NI. After all, "UTV Live" is a much simpler name for the local news service than "ITV News Northern Ireland" (and I am aware that "ITV News" is said by reporters in their sign-offs on local bulletins in ITV plc's regions). The UTV Live logo is in the same style as the ITV News logo.

Meanwhile, ITV's pay per view service ITV Box Office has been added to the Irish Sky EPG today, Channel 493. So far the only confirmed event is a boxing card early next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Meanwhile, ITV's pay per view service ITV Box Office has been added to the Irish Sky EPG today, Channel 493. So far the only confirmed event is a boxing card early next month.
    I see that. To be honest I Can't see it lasting long seen that Sky, Boxnation and BT have more or less scooped up all major sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

meanwhile in the examiner which previously listed ITV Wales under UTV Ireland listings have now dropped ITV and instead have given a full column to sky atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

UTV is going to move to it's new premises to City Quay 2 in Belfast Harbour by June of next year. The 8th floor of the new building will be their new home.

http://www.a516digital.com/2017/05/utv-downsizes-says-good-bye-to-historic.html

ITV2 to be removed from Virgin Media from tomorrow, though seemingly ITV3 and 4 are staying for now.

ITV2 to be removed from Virgin Media from tomorrow, though seemingly ITV3 and 4 are staying for now.

It was bound to happen. Just as TV3 is a clone of UTV/ITV, 3e is a clone of ITV2. Virgin want to keep the advertisers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

galtee boy wrote: »
    It was bound to happen. Just as TV3 is a clone of UTV/ITV, 3e is a clone of ITV2. Virgin want to keep the advertisers happy.

another reason not to subscribe to virgin media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Anything replacing it?

Feel like the Virgin Media TV choice has gone very stale. We haven't had many new channels in a long time. Albeit, there is plenty of rubbish being added to Sky on a weekly basis, but would be nice to see a few new channels being added.

galtee boy wrote: »

...and be3 is the Irish equivalent of ITV3/ITV Encore (I don't know if any of those "reality" shows on ITV Be, which was never available on UPC/Virgin in the Republic, are on be3, and I don't care either).

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Anything replacing it?

I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Virgin would want to consolidate itv2's audience with that of 3e's. For it to be worthwhile itv2's audience would want to be at least 1%, and 80% of that audience would have to watch on the Virgin platform.

Not only that TV3 will also need to make 3e more like itv2 and let be3 take on some of the repeats on 3e.

Easier to come to an arrangement with itv to allow Virgin media sales sell advertising across itv channels on pay platforms, and allow them on Sky's EPG.

I assume Virgin want to increase live island audiences.

Also be3 is more like itv3 meets itv be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I doubt it.

Quote from The Sun article: https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/tv/1094110/what-irish-tv-channel-is-love-island-on-itv2-is-gone-for-virgin-media-customers-and-3e-will-air-first-episode-a-day-after-the-uk/
    And Virgin Media Ireland bosses then revealed the reason behind getting rid of ITV2.
    They said: “With so much of the ITV2 content now available in glorious HD across the TV3 channels (TV3 HD, 3e HD and be3 HD) we’re freeing up space for even more HD content. We’ll be adding E4 HD, More 4HD, Film4 HD, Universal HD and SyFy HD soon.

It needs to be simulcast on be3 then a repeat on 3e. Rather that a repeat on 3e. No clue. Cutting nose of despite face.

3e and be3 are not in 'glorious HD' on Sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

iseegirls wrote: »

"we're freeing up space" - how stupid do the bosses at VM think their customers are ??

zorro2566 wrote: »

Did they drop UTV Ireland HD from Sky or was it never part of Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Elmo wrote: »
    Did they drop UTV Ireland HD from Sky or was it never part of Sky?

It was carried on Sky as part of the HD package - it was posted previously that the issue was the uplink was based at UTV NI so when TV3 took over the uplink was lost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

zorro2566 wrote: »

Nor on Saorview!

Advertisement