Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ITV Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Local news output still in SD. When will they go HD I wonder?

They won't have news in HD until they move to the new building in two years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Some pics of the new look UTV Live just for an observation.

2ufa9ky.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-10-17%20at%2013_59_03.png
    Those two presenters in the first picture don't look too happy. I wonder are they worried about their jobs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The newsroom is probably the safest place in Havelock House at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »

It could be the 1980s no wonder a norther irish news reader looks worried.

not a huge fan of the overly glossly read and blue of before but 10 times better that this.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

ITV is being reported to cut 120 jobs in all of it's departments because of concerns over Brexit. The job cuts will start next year. The cuts will save a total of £25 million for the broadcaster after it initially reported strong growth in it's international business.

Do you know if these cuts will eventually hit UTV in the North?

http://tbivision.com/news/2016/10/itv-cutting-jobs-amid-concern-brexit/667532/

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/10/itv-to-cut-120-jobs-over-brexit-uncertainty.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Even Havelock House is not safe, probably end up under a bulldozer! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately when one organisation takes over another they tend to make a clean sweep which in some ways is understandable as they want to but their own brand on it. Again it's the employees who are the victims in this takeover and I'm sure the rest of the employees will be looking over their shoulders to see where the axe will fall.

Indeed both ITV and News UK are likely to move out over the next couple of years. The building itself might be safe - I am unsure as to whether it's listed.

Indeed both ITV and News UK are likely to move out over the next couple of years. The building itself might be safe - I am unsure as to whether it's listed.
    I wonder Has UTV been stationed In Havelock House from day one and if so maybe it could be turned into some sort of meuseme to celebrate the broadcasting history of UTV in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

I wonder Has UTV been stationed In Havelock House from day one and if so maybe it could be turned into some sort of meuseme to celebrate the broadcasting history of UTV in Northern Ireland.

Yeah, they've been there from the start. It was originally a linen warehouse and I doubt it is listed as it has been pulled apart and altered over the years. Most likely worth more flattened and with the car park a decent site for development (although not in a particularly desirable area, unlike RTÉ!)

• Advertisement

Yeah, they've been there from the start. It was originally a linen warehouse and I doubt it is listed as it has been pulled apart and altered over the years. Most likely worth more flattened and with the car park a decent site for development (although not in a particularly desirable area, unlike RTÉ!)
    No doubth some American company will come in and buy the site and maybe create a couple of hundred jobs which wouldn't be bad for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there a gap for Alan Cantwell to return to TV?

He's returned to TV3 once before, if he does come back I imagine it would be to there.

He's returned to TV3 once before, if he does come back I imagine it would be to there.
    Didn't he do a short stint on irish tv last year. I think it might have been the ploughing champions but hasn'been seen since. He must have been badly stuck to end up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭medoc

Didn't he do a short stint on irish tv last year. I think it might have been the ploughing champions but hasn'been seen since. He must have been badly stuck to end up there.

I think it was the general election coverage. Presented from Mayo.

medoc wrote: »
    I think it was the general election coverage. Presented from Mayo.
    Yes bang on it was. With Virgin Media about to take over TV3 i wonder will the news department get a bit of a makeover and will he be tempted back to do the news or will Allison Cummin be moved to TV3 from UTV Ireland?

is there a gap for Alan Cantwell to return to TV?

It'll be difficult for him a second time. He was able to take over on News @8 but it's highly likely that TV3 will axe News @8 and both editions of Ireland Live.

Elmo wrote: »
    It'll be difficult for him a second time. He was able to take over on News @8 but it's highly likely that TV3 will axe News @8 and both editions of Ireland Live.
    I know it's all guess work at the moment what changes will take place but If TV3 keep the 5.30 pm bulletin make him a decent offer you never can tell money talks and he might be tempted. Also I think 5.30 pm is a good time for people coming in from work to catch the latest headlines and if they want a more detailed news bulletin switch over to six one.

I know it's all guess work at the moment what changes will take place but If TV3 keep the 5.30 pm bulletin make him a decent offer you never can tell money talks and he might be tempted. Also I think 5.30 pm is a good time for people coming in from work to catch the latest headlines and if they want a more detailed news bulletin switch over to six one.

Why should they want him back? His only real highlight of his career was that he was one of TV3 original news anchors.

And why should he get that role over either cibill mulchay or Aisling O'Loughlin both of whom started out in the newsroom.

Also unless he could guarantee increase audience why would they want him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

He won't starve, there's an article in today's Sunday Times about him. He owns 10 properties in Ireland, has " interests in the Bahamas" and is a director of a Bulgarian construction company and his salary as a ministerial advisor to Mary Mitchell O Connor was €91,624.

• Advertisement

Okay, that's enough Alan Cantwell. back to UTV please

galtee boy wrote: »
    He won't starve, there's an article in today's Sunday Times about him. He owns 10 properties in Ireland, has " interests in the Bahamas" and is a director of a Bulgarian construction company and his salary as a ministerial advisor to Mary Mitchell O Connor was €91,624.

Why was he on the dole line? Even on JB you need a good reason for leaving work, you can just leave for no reason. And just answer that question... if he took redundancy he'd get JB and credits on JA.

Sorry just post as you did icdg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is the series of Lesser Spotted Journeys that is being broadcast on Tuesdays on UTV NI not being broadcast on UTV Ireland?

Elmo wrote: »
    Why should they want him back? His only real highlight of his career was that he was one of TV3 original news anchors.

And why should he get that role over either cibill mulchay or Aisling O'Loughlin both of whom started out in the newsroom.

Also unless he could guarantee increase audience why would they want him.
    Maybe politics and news is his thing and from the time I've seen him covering the election on irish tv he is not afraid to ask the questions people want answers to. You are right Cibil Mulchay and Aishling O'Loughlin do deserve to get the role over him and anyone out side but as we all know sometimes you never get what you deserve. Maybe when the takeover is complete Cibil and Ashling might get their own show on UTV IRELAND who knows.

galtee boy wrote: »
    jesus I did't know that. So not short of a cew euro then. Feck off Alan you have enough. I agree with Elmo give it to someone who is allready working for TV3.

Ban for next mention of Alan Cantwell

Ban for next mention of Alan Cantwell
    OK apoligies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

England match on ITV proper so UTV Ireland have a show reviewing the coronation street live episode from a year ago. Some of the actors being interviewed have since left and some of the characters are even dead. Looks like they just grabbed the first tape they could find in the office. Awful stuff for prime time Friday night viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

England match on ITV proper so UTV Ireland have a show reviewing the coronation street live episode from a year ago. Some of the actors being interviewed have since left and some of the characters are even dead. Looks like they just grabbed the first tape they could find in the office. Awful stuff for prime time Friday night viewing.

Advertisement