Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The amount of misogyny on boards these days is frightening.*Mod instruction in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

It might be another charter I'm getting confused with but I thought you weren't allowed give out about particular posters or threads?

You must be - personal abuse is a no-go, but posts are fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I've noticed a worrying trend on boards of people insisting that the sky is green. I'm not going to give any examples though.

If you live on Mars it's red

Apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I am honestly a bit of a mysogynist. Its developed through years of meeting nasty women or being attracted and not getting it in return. I'm just a human and have feelings that have been hurt over and over again by women mostly. I currently see a therapist to help me through my issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

If you disregard any poster with less than 50 posts has it got any worse?

Also
    Disliking 3rd Wave Feminism ≠ Misogyny

Being very honest, I don't usually look at post counts, but I see what you're getting at.

By third wave you mean like militant man-haters or? Wikipedia wasn't too helpful on the topic :o

I didn't really want to discuss feminism because there's already a thread on that, but I think it's a good thing, the thoughts that without it I wouldn't be sitting here in uni right now is pretty bleak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I have noticed this in some threads alright and there seems to be repetition in this misogyny:

--Man likes woman
    --Woman does not like man
    --Man gets angry at not being liked by woman
    --Man then kills two women in Hong Kong to exact revenge etc.

• Advertisement

I didn't really want to discuss feminism because there's already a thread on that, but I think it's a good thing, the thoughts that without it I wouldn't be sitting here in uni right now is pretty bleak.
    The early school leavers rate among women aged 18-24 in 2010 was 8.4%, which was much lower than the male rate of 12.6%.
    Women are more likely to have a third-level qualification, with over half (53%) of women aged 25-34 having a third-level qualification compared with nearly four out of ten men (39%) in this age group

Education is one area in Ireland where the gender imbalance is in favour of women, not against.

Source - CSO 2011 report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Historical date , first woman spotted on boards.ie

Nah, just another 40 year old truck driver typing in his under pants wanting you to think that ( is that misandry? )

Roquentin wrote: »
    I have noticed this in some threads alright and there seems to be repetition in this misogyny:

--Man likes woman
    --Woman does not like man
    --Man gets angry at not being liked by woman
    --Man then kills two women in Hong Kong to exact revenge etc.
    Jesus the Hong Kong cops must be really worried about me ever going over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I reported a post of that nature, however I though mods read every post so if a post was left up it have been thought alright although I found it dubious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

lufties wrote: »
    I am honestly a bit of a mysogynist. Its developed through years of meeting nasty women or being attracted and not getting it in return. I'm just a human and have feelings that have been hurt over and over again by women mostly. I currently see a therapist to help me through my issues.

You don't need to be honest. It's blindingly obvious. You're not the only long-timer like this either and it's really, really bad recently. I'd rather the sandwich jokes than some if the **** posted on Boards.

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    Nah, just another 40 year old truck driver typing in his under pants wanting you to think that ( is that misanthropic? )

A little jaded perhaps but not a million miles off some corners of the internet.

Stop mansplaining.

Why?

Why would you say that? I would never have heard of the term mansplaining if people like you didn't spread it around by using it to make fun of the women (with pretty radical views) that do. Why did you bring them into this? Where are these radical feminists? I have honestly never come across a post from one of these "radical feminists" that hasn't been from tumblr or the likes let alone boards.

Mansplaining is a word that I think disrespects men but there you (and people like you) are spreading it around and bringing it into the public sphere. I don't understand it. :confused: If these things are so offensive (which I believe they are) you should try and stifle them as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ah...so this thread is about feminism...why didn't you just say so, feminism isn't a dirty word you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

You don't need to be honest. It's blindingly obvious. You're not the only long-timer like this either and it's really, really bad recently. I'd rather the sandwich jokes than some if the **** posted on Boards.

He said he's getting help for his issues. Don't see the point in attacking him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Being very honest, I don't usually look at post counts, but I see what you're getting at.

By third wave you mean like militant man-haters or? Wikipedia wasn't too helpful on the topic :o

Really?

You think women would be banned from Third Level in 2014 if it wasn't for feminism?

We're not governed by the Taliban.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Interstellar cellar

Do people actually know what misogyny means?

It is the hatred of women.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Ah...so this thread is about feminism...why didn't you just say so, feminism isn't a dirty word you know.

Because RDM brought it up, why else? What has your back up about my post? Instead of the snarkiness you could explain yourself

Why?

Why would you say that? I would never have heard of the term mansplaining if people like you didn't spread it around by using it to make fun of the women (with pretty radical views) that do. Why did you bring them into this? Where are these radical feminists? I have honestly never come across a post from one of these "radical feminists" that hasn't been from tumblr or the likes let alone boards.

Mansplaining is a word that I think disrespects men but there you (and people like you) are spreading it around and bringing it into the public sphere. I don't understand it. :confused: If these things are so offensive (which I believe they are) you should try and stifle them as much as possible.
    OK now I know you're a bored trucker.

Do people actually know what misogyny means?

It is the hatred of women.

Misogyny (/mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women.

OK now I know you're a bored trucker.

Good, I'm glad.

• Advertisement

Really?

You think women would be banned from Third Level in 2014 if it wasn't for feminism?

We're not governed by the Taliban.

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nearly afraid to say Mrs Browne's Boys is a load of shíte anymore in case I get a belt over the head with a handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Because RDM brought it up, why else? What has your back up about my post? Instead of the snarkiness you could explain yourself

You come on here making wild accusations, won't back up your accusations with any examples and have stated that you don't report posts.

It's pretty much like coming in and taking a big sh1t on the forum or starting a thread entitled "Why does boards hate black people" and then not giving any examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

... I've seen scary amounts of misogyny...

Interesting. You'll really have to reprint some examples; "women these days..." etc; doesn't amount to hatred of women. Unless you're hypersensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why?

It was used in a thread in TLL only the other day.

Careful now, not allowed to discuss other forums.

Why is it necessarily misogyny to sexually objectify women?

I didn't make the definition up!

But sexual objectification reduces someone from human being to object. So, I suppose the reasoning is that that there's no regard for someone if you're able to objectify them. While you don't have to have hatred for a person you sexually objectify, you don't have to like them either, they're just a sum of parts. I wouldn't be able to tell you for certain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yoga pants
    And let's not lock up women for committing crimes ever

And do you not think that's horrible to see it being used?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm not a misogynist, honest. I just think women are to blame for all the things that I've caused to go wrong in my life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement