Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming for Tri Beginners

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If this was a creche ye would be sent off to your respective corners for a timeout.

Kurt, your initial closure post came across as petulant. I have no doubt it was based on your disappointment at the weekend but it left a sour note... and here are the echoes of that. You did a lot of hard work here, I was in awe of the investment of time and effort. Something I have never done, hats off to you. But i feel it was inappropriate to bring your anger towards TI and muddle it into the positivity of this thread. Wrong place. Thats all.

How brave of cm to out herself. I have no idea whats gone on behind the scenes but please, get on the phone ye idiots and talk it through. The written word is so misconstrued. Its good to talk lads!

Again, good work here young man.... lets hug and move on, yeah? We have a good space here. Lets not sully it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »
    If this was a creche ye would be sent off to your respective corners for a timeout.

Kurt, your initial closure post came across as petulant. I have no doubt it was based on your disappointment at the weekend but it left a sour note... and here are the echoes of that. You did a lot of hard work here, I was in awe of the investment of time and effort. Something I have never done, hats off to you. But i feel it was inappropriate to bring your anger towards TI and muddle it into the positivity of this thread. Wrong place. Thats all.

How brave of cm to out herself. I have no idea whats gone on behind the scenes but please, get on the phone ye idiots and talk it through. The written word is so misconstrued. Its good to talk lads!

Again, good work here young man.... lets hug and move on, yeah? We have a good space here. Lets not sully it.

I can only imagine you in action modding your board. 'Now "kiss" and make up'

tunney wrote: »
    I can only imagine you in action modding your board. 'Now "kiss" and make up'
    Nothing wrong with a gentle approach, t. You should try it. :) Were lovers, not fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

FWIW this was and is a great thread. One of the best of the year IMO

Ive edited a few posts slightly. It was necessary under Charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

100m Time Trial|Nov '14|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June'15
    ainsyjnr|1:47*|1:38*|||1:56|1:46|1:45|
    strummer_ie|2:10|||||||
    career move|2:49|2:38|2:32|2:19|2:14|2:01||
    Rainbow Kirby|1:57*|1:53|||||1:50|
    ToTriOrNot |2:09|||||1.59||
    bart86 |1:51|1.48|2:00||1.40|||
    iwillhtfu |###|1:36|1:42
    andstillrickyvilla |2:38|2:23|2:19|2:07|2:04|2:03||
    steroo ||||1:52|1:50||1:39|

Keeping the thread alive! No harm updating for the summer months.
    I have swim for a mile tomorrow too - thanks to this thread. And funnily when I signed up I was thinking I'll really struggle but now I think I'll be fine ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Steroo wrote: »
    ainsyjnr|1:47*|1:38*|||1:56|1:46|1:45|
    strummer_ie|2:10|||||||
    career move|2:49|2:38|2:32|2:19|2:14|2:01||
    Rainbow Kirby|1:57*|1:53|||||1:50|
    ToTriOrNot |2:09|||||1.59||
    bart86 |1:51|1.48|2:00||1.40|||
    iwillhtfu |###|1:36|1:42
    andstillrickyvilla |2:38|2:23|2:19|2:07|2:04|2:03||

Keeping the thread alive! No harm updating for the summer months.
    I have swim for a mile tomorrow too - thanks to this thread. And funnily when I signed up I was thinking I'll really struggle but now I think I'll be fine ;)

Wow Steroo, you are making great progress there!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Wow Steroo, you are making great progress there!!!!

+1 That's a super time. Best of luck tomorrow :)

Im jealous steroo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Thats a very big jump in the past month... what has been different? How is your breathing?

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Thats a very big jump in the past month... what has been different? How is your breathing?

Thanks Guys. we did it 3 times in this morning's session & it was consistent. 1:40, 1:39, and the third he said was 1:36 but I had it at 1:39.

The breathing is under control but still more frequent that I'd like. usually 3232 but I'm less conscious of it now. I think the difference is a lot of things - more relaxed - better hand entry & pull - better kick.

• Advertisement

Well for a man who was struggling with 50m without being out of breath, you've made huge progress over the past few months. Getting under 1:40 for 100m will have you touching toes with the sharks, and if you can string a few of them together you'll exit quite high in most Irish Tri's.

You should bottle whatever you've been doing and sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

Yeah, I'll buy it for sure!!!
    I might have managed to get my time down to 1:50, will definitely check properly next time I am in the pool doing a session!!

ToTriOrNot wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll buy it for sure!!!
    I might have managed to get my time down to 1:50, will definitely check properly next time I am in the pool doing a session!!

Anything under 2:00 is good, a decent point to build from in the races.

And while getting faster (and using 100mTT as a metric of progress) is a good thing, its important too to keep in mind what its all about. The guy who can put a string of 20 100's together at a steady pace, will beat the guy who does the first 100 under 1:30 and then blows up.

big_pile_of_vintage_toys.png

51y8vU9Wo7L._SY300_.jpg

Now put them back in.... all of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Insane progress Steroo. Well done and good luck tomorrow

The top picture reminds me the first time we met at the pool, you emptied your bag of swim toys...

Swim+Babies%2521.jpg

More like this tunney. Alls well with the swimmy world.

Oryx wrote: »
    Swim+Babies%2521.jpg

More like this tunney. Alls well with the swimmy world.

HAHAAHAH They all have a suitable body position for this thread

HAHAAHAH They all have a suitable body position for this thread

Kid 1 and 2 are hopeless, they may as well start saving for bike bling right now. I can almost hear their high-pitched cheering at the race briefings...

Kid No.3 would make a good Triathlete, boxing his way through the crowd. Smiling when he does it. And they look like buoyancy shorts from here.

Kid 4 is the closest to decent head position, looks determined, and has a nice hairstyle... I like kid 4.

Kid 1 and 2 are hopeless, they may as well start saving for bike bling right now. I can almost hear their high-pitched cheering at the race briefings...

Kid No.3 would make a good Triathlete, boxing his way through the crowd. Smiling when he does it. And they look like buoyancy shorts from here.

Kid 4 is the closest to decent head position, looks determined, and has a nice hairstyle... I like kid 4.

Also without external assistance they will all drown pretty soon. Enter then in Dublin 70.30...........

Also based on what I heard I can think of a Dublin club who would be used to their tantrums if they didn't get their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

big_pile_of_vintage_toys.png

That looks very like my packing for the weekend gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'll take a 5 gallon drum and an intravenous drip. And I'll collect it tomorrow.

Swim for a mile challenge in 40:06 in NAC. No breaks so that's the longest I've ever swam without a stop. I actually got faster towards the end. Thanks Kurt for suggesting this a few months ago.

Bloody wrecked now!

Splits: http://www.swimforamile.net/Result/Detail?participantID=3495&EventID=1285

Swim for a mile challenge in 40:06 in NAC. No breaks so that's the longest I've ever swam without a stop. I actually got faster towards the end. Thanks Kurt for suggesting this a few months ago.

Bloody wrecked now!

That's fantastic, I mean that sincerely. Your attitude is brilliant, its something I could learn a lot from.

If I remember correctly, you came on to this thread unable to swim much further than 50m without a break, having already completed 3 blocks of swim training in the NAC. You seemed frustrated as the breathing would let you down at every step. So you had put in a lot of investment, for little reward. I had no doubt you had the ability to swim a mile (everyone does), but questioned if you'd last very long, given the amount of knockbacks and frustration you had experienced. But you put in a lot of effort, which is paying off now.

I've little doubt that your progress from here will continue, and would expect you to make huge strides over the next year. Well done this far!

That's fantastic, I mean that sincerely. Your attitude is brilliant, its something I could learn a lot from.

If I remember correctly, you came on to this thread unable to swim much further than 50m without a break, having already completed 3 blocks of swim training in the NAC. You seemed frustrated as the breathing would let you down at every step. So you had put in a lot of investment, for little reward. I had no doubt you had the ability to swim a mile (everyone does), but questioned if you'd last very long, given the amount of knockbacks and frustration you had experienced. But you put in a lot of effort, which is paying off now.

I've little doubt that your progress from here will continue, and would expect you to make huge strides over the next year. Well done this far!

Mods: This is not kurt. Someone has just registered with a version of his old name. Must be American given the happy happy nature of then post. Suspect Dory has set up a second account???!??!??

Good man killian Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Mods: This is not kurt. Someone has just registered with a version of his old name. Must be American given the happy happy nature of then post. Suspect Dory has set up a second account???!??!??

Beware if a perky account with the user name of tun_ney pops up!! Then you'll know my work here is complete!! :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Well done Steroo. Just back from my own one. Done in 41:10. Putting it in perspective, my final race practice last year was 1500m which I barely squeezed under the hour in. Massively pleased with myself
    Odd experience in Arklow being the only one in the pool though :)

Well done Steroo. Just back from my own one. Done in 41:10. Putting it in perspective, my final race practice last year was 1500m which I barely squeezed under the hour in. Massively pleased with myself
    Odd experience in Arklow being the only one in the pool though :)

Fair play! That's a huge improvement ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

As a newbie update, for the past 6-8 weeks I spent 3-4 days per week in the pool to try and get my breathing and technique a bit better, I also took lessons in a small group once a week, which definately helped me.

I did my first Open Water event last night, the Howth Aquathon 500 Metres and 3.7K run and it was an 'experience' to say the least! It was very choppy for the first 200 Metres and I struggled with my breathing as the waves were landing perfectly on my face as I was about to turn my head and breathe in...
    I didn't panic and kept plugging away and I managed to finish in the mid pack (around 33 mins) out of 83 people, as I did a decent run, so overall happy with how it went as a first event. Great little event, very well run and good atmosphere at it, would recommend it no problem.

Have the bug now and plan to target a 750M Sprint Tri in the coming weeks/months, probably in a lake or river mind you.

I am still struggling with 'sinking legs' when I am in the pool and would appreciate any tips people might have??

Advertisement