Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick mum and five children told ‘go to hostel’

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

catallus wrote: »
    Contraception has always been the responsibility of the woman. The hint's in the word.

it is??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You see, this type of pat deflection from the point is what makes this so infuriating.

It isn't rocket science.
    It isn't rocket science that a man has to either keep it in his pants or take responsibility for his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Contraception has always been the responsibility of the woman. The hint's in the word.

All this time, and I never realised you were mental.

Anyway, despite her awful hair (and I know I shouldn't be focusing on that), I wouldn't want to take my kids to a hostel either. But I guess it's the fastest way to get her on the housing list? So suck it up for a month or two and Limerick CC will step up. Otherwise it will be 'homeless babies at Christmas' stories, and none of us can stomach reading that rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

So a condom is not a contraceptive?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    It isn't rocket science that a man has to either keep it in his pants or take responsibility for his actions.

Both have to take responsibility first and foremost .
    But if say your a single mother struggling to survive would it make sense they would take the extra precautions to make sure they don't keep getting caught for a better word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Caliden wrote: »
    She's getting more p.a. than I do after tax and I still have to pay 7.5k/year on rent.

Where did I go wrong in life?!?

Where you went wrong is you probably voted for this s###e so the bottom line is you (and me) are directly or indirectly responsible for this scenario.
    And if you don't agree with my opinion ask your 2 questions to the politicans when they come to your door looking for votes again. Very interesting to hear what their answer will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Everybody with children gets child benefit(9k at 5 kids?) so in comparison to a similar married couple with 1 working and 1 stay at home, she is paid roughly the equivalent of the PAYE worker earning 25 grand a year. Its still ridiculous but its not as good as your all making it out to be. I don't think I could raise 5 kids on 25 grand a year.

The problem is never what they make. The problem is the abuse of the system. If she works cash in hand or the fellow "stays over", then the amount she gets becomes sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

It isn't rocket science that a woman has to either keep her knickers on or take responsibility for her actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Responsibility for your actions is something this country doesn't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

In my sons class at school about 75% of the parents are unmarried cohabiting and on benefits. They all have rent allowance and most have two cars and three or four children. It's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

She's right about 1 thing:

Currently unemployed, Grace is furious at the local authority, especially after she identified a council house to live in Fairview Crescent, Garryowen, near her mother, which has now been boarded up.
    “I don’t think the housing office should be there. If they can’t help people, I don’t know why it is open at all.”

Why are the council boarding up houses and moving undesirables out to other areas? Is this what we are paying tax for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

A warning to the trolls, keep it up and you won't be posting here much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is there any chance of a blanket ban on these threads?

Majority of people here haven't a clue what they're talking about, and have no idea what the real world is like for single parents with multiple children but yet like to pull uneducated, ignorant, offensive opinions out off their arses anyways. It's the same in every thread that pops up like this and to be honest, I'm sick to my back teeth looking at them.
    People like to feel they have the right to be outraged. Ye don't, not when that outrage is based on bullcrap. I could get into how ye are wrong if you think it's cushy or scroungey but it'll just fall on deaf ears and I'll just end up getting angry at some stupid comment.

Rightwing wrote: »

Currently unemployed, Grace is furious at the local authority, especially after she identified a council house to live in Fairview Crescent, Garryowen, near her mother, which has now been boarded up.
    “I don’t think the housing office should be there. If they can’t help people, I don’t know why it is open at all.”

Why are the council boarding up houses and moving undesirables out to other areas? Is this what we are paying tax for ?

I don't know about this specific case but council houses have to be at a certain standard. If work is to be carried out they'll need, electricians, plumbers, chippys, painters, etc. The work usually takes weeks at the very least and normally a few months by the time they're ready, from my experience of working on council houses anyway.

sup_dude wrote: »

Majority of people here haven't a clue what they're talking about, and have no idea what the real world is like for single parents with multiple children but yet like to pull uneducated, ignorant, offensive opinions out off their arses anyways. It's the same in every thread that pops up like this and to be honest, I'm sick to my back teeth looking at them.
    People like to feel they have the right to be outraged. Ye don't, not when that outrage is based on bullcrap. I could get into how ye are wrong if you think it's cushy or scroungey but it'll just fall on deaf ears and I'll just end up getting angry at some stupid comment.

The point of the board is discussion. If you think someone is wrong, discuss and tell them why they are wrong.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I don't know about this specific case but council houses have to be at a certain standard. If work is to be carried out they'll need, electricians, plumbers, chippys, painters, etc. The work usually takes weeks at the very least and normally a few months by the time they're ready, from my experience of working on council houses anyway.

^^ This pretty much. Most of these houses are boarded up at the moment to stop the local scrotes from getting into them and stealing the copper pipes and pulling the wiring from the walls - they're being renovated as funding becomes available AFAIK. I've seen a few big projects in various towns so far where rows of houses are being unboarded, with teams of tradesmen going from house to house carrying out work.

Let's not talk about people sitting on there holes getting €30+k pa tax free for having a few babies and claiming lone parents know known as one parent family .
    It's a hard life having everything handed to you while you sit there playing a I'm a victim card

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Rightwing wrote: »

The council should be happy to house her near her Mum! Instead of being awkward... God love her is no one on her side?

I'm afraid you don't get to decide what others wish to discuss here and many of us have vast 1st hand experience of the topic

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TallGlass wrote: »
    I am just on 16,000-17,000, yet have paid nearly 1,500 in tax

If you are single, then there is something wrong with your tax credits.

A single person on 17,000 pays just €608 per year between PAYE, PRSI and USC

you might want to contact the revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

Caliden wrote: »
    She's getting more p.a. than I do after tax and I still have to pay 7.5k/year on rent.

Where did I go wrong in life?!?

I have a degree and has been working 15+ years now, and reading the benefit money figures in this thread, it sounds like my wife and two daughters would be financially better off if I just leave now and never come back!! Mind boggles!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

But surely that's better than paying private landlords? :confused: Seems like an outrageous waste of taxpayers' cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

337 per week for single parent family??

That seems crazy

How is that payment broken down? Per child per week?

The point of the board is discussion. If you think someone is wrong, discuss and tell them why they are wrong.

I have, over and over and over. But it just falls on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭G2ECE

For me the most galling aspect of the story is that she expects not only to have a house handed to her but she is trying to dictate where the house should be.

Beggars belief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

G2ECE wrote: »
    For me the most galling aspect of the story is that she expects not only to have a house handed to her but she is trying to dictate where the house should be.

Beggars belief!

This.

I have, over and over and over. But it just falls on deaf ears.

Which means that people do wish to discuss the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

waffleman wrote: »

That seems crazy

€188 for her €29.80 per child. €20 per week Fuel Allowance October to April. €130 per child per month Child Benefit going up to €135 next January. Her contribution to her weekly rent is €30. We pay the rest. Medical ,Cards for all.

waffleman wrote: »

That seems crazy

188 mammy

And 29.80 per child x5

• Advertisement

Which means that people do wish to discuss the topic

Not sure how it does when it falls on deaf ears. It's more like people just want to have a go at spreading crap that the media created in the first place, and don't want to let reality get in the way of that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement