Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick mum and five children told ‘go to hostel’

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

on the dole - one could not afford a goldfish let alone 5 kids

Dole monthly is E814 less 675pm is not enough to feed a gerbil

Bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Christ, would it actually add up to 32,000 a year and here I am working my arse off sending out CVs trying to land some sort of a job that pays about 22,000-25,000 a year. I am just on 16,000-17,000, yet have paid nearly 1,500 in tax yet she dose not work and is complaining about a house. I can't even move out of mine and shes paid nearly twice my salary. This country is such a mess. This is why you shouldn't give out 'free' money to people they don't respect it or understand it and keep wasting it then demanding more.

Jesus Christ love take some ****ing money budgeting classes if your getting 32,000 a year. There should be no way in hell she should end up in a hostel. Felt a bit sorry for her at the start but get your finances in order and you won't end up in a hostel.

/RANT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP would you like your Children or your brothers/sisters children to have to stay in a hostel and share facilities including toilet facilities with all sorts or weird and wonderful homeless people. She's dead right to refuse, none of the council people demanding she Move into a hostel with young children would ever donut themselves so why do they expect Her to.

I have no time for scroungers on the dole getting handouts for everything, paying for nothing shd having plenty of money for themselves while workers are absolutely fleeced in taxes/use etc To pay for those on welfare but I wouldn't see any child having to stay in a hostel not even for one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Is there really no father on the scene or is he just not getting mentioned so that she's entitled to so much in benefits? I've no sympathy for her. No job and she has 5 kids. Has she ever done a days work in her life or is she another breeder sponging off the taxpayer for as long as she can?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I wouldn't see any child having to stay in a hostel not even for one night.

Neither would I.

That's why tales like this are pointless without knowing the fathers status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Neither would I.

That's why tales like this are pointless without knowing the fathers status.

Big chance she wouldn't be in a hostel not a family that size ,

Highly likely she would be put up in a hotel longterm ,

I highly doubt she was advised to go a hostel at all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. The system is simple to abuse if you want to.

"Single" mom + kids = Superb career choice.

No need for college or hard work when the system allows such a lovely alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

There's also her own family. What did we do in the old days before the council provided houses for people. I've aunts & uncles that lived in their parents house all of their lives. Absolutely not ideal but I'd imagine it's better than a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

And would she not also get maintenance from the fathers?

Child allowance should be reduced substantially for each subsequent child

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Its gas that if she owned the house and owed the bank this wouldnt even make news.

she'd be someone who cant afford her mortgage, must leave

• Advertisement

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Don't hate the playa, hate the game. The system is simple to abuse if you want to.

"Single" mom + kids = Superb career choice.

No need for college or hard work when the system allows such a lovely alternative.

Tell that to all the bleeding heart liberals who flat out deny that it's a problem here and that there aren't a lot of people playing the system. There should be a 3 year cap on how long any able bodied healthy person can claim Rent Allowance and it should start to be reduced by a third for each year that people are receiving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

And would she not also get maintenance from the fathers?

Child allowance should be reduced substantially for each subsequent child

paying maintenance from their dole money?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Tell that to all the bleeding heart liberals who flat out deny that it's a problem here and that there aren't a lot of people playing the system. There should be a 3 year cap on how long any able bodied healthy person can claim Rent Allowance and it should start to be reduced by a third for each year that people are receiving it.

Yep, but it will never happen. Lots of peope in my hometown are all "single" mums with 3-4 kids. Lovely semi-detatched houses, all have partners, great lives, holdays away, nice cars. That's the life!

It's good to see my tax going to good use anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

She should be forced to move back home.. why should we be supporting her and her kids for her poor choices... grow up... get home and get a decent job to support your own kids... scum

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yep, but it will never happen. Lots of peope in my hometown are all "single" mums with 3-4 kids. Lovely semi-detatched houses, all have partners, great lives, holdays away, nice cars. That's the life!

It's good to see my tax going to good use anyways.

Absolutely, as it's a massive vote loser, but still very frustrating to see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

I have no time for scroungers on the dole getting handouts for everything, paying for nothing shd having plenty of money for themselves while workers are absolutely fleeced in taxes/use etc To pay for those on welfare but I wouldn't see any child having to stay in a hostel not even for one night.
    You don't like someone on the dole who is getting 144 or 188 a week but you feel sorry for her who is on 650 a week? Explain please.
    Maybe she should of worked hard and saved some money before she planned to pop out kids and get her money from the state
    She looks 28 maybe max 30, has a 12 kid, so she was pregnant when she was 17.
    People like her should be stopped. If she can't afford to have kids, take them away from her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

As frustrating as the system is, it's not likely to change anytime soon. I'm more annoyed at the cheek of her, going publicly moaning and rubbing the taxpayers noses in it with her big self entitled head :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

She's getting more p.a. than I do after tax and I still have to pay 7.5k/year on rent.

Where did I go wrong in life?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

That's terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Caliden wrote: »
    She's getting more p.a. than I do after tax and I still have to pay 7.5k/year on rent.

Wanna go halves in a baby??:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The problem is people with young kids. An entry level job won't pay as much as childcare costs. And you can't kick people with kids out onto the street. Neither can we set up workhouses or laundries.

Our society is thankfully better than that.

Grayson wrote: »
    The problem is people with young kids. An entry level job won't pay as much as childcare costs. And you can't kick people with kids out onto the street. Neither can we set up workhouses or laundries.

Ahh sure its grand we live in utopia here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

perhaps people like this should be made contribute more - providing free childcare to local mums to work off her debt to society.

would certainly cut your rent anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Who do you think you are, King Solomon?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

The real sickener is thats a lovely estate I would love to live there!! However I cant afford it despite having a lot of education seems I chose the wrong career path getting knocked up repeatedly is the way to go! Plus €675 is way too little for that house

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

perhaps people like this should be made contribute more - providing free childcare to local mums to work off her debt to society.

That's a separate issue and not just for that woman. When i first heard how much childcare costs I was shocked. It's stopping a large number of parents from returning to work.
    A lot of EU countries have heavily subsidised childcare because it does help the economy in the long run.

That's a separate issue and not just for that woman. When i first heard how much childcare costs I was shocked. It's stopping a large number of parents from returning to work.
    A lot of EU countries have heavily subsidised childcare because it does help the economy in the long run.

And most of her kids are of school going age leaving plenty of scope for part time employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Caliden wrote: »

Totally agree. Bad week here at work for me. Body clock is sure it must be Saturday by now and I can't wait to clock out tonight so I can crash on couch and feel human again. This grind starts at 7 Mon-Fri. I am not on the worst money so no complaints there but such a chunk is taken to pay for her because she is entitled to breed, entitled to a house in a respectable suburb, entitled to God knows what else in her mind.

Now is not really the time I want to be reading those figures on what she gets yearly tax free.:mad:

There is something ethically very rotten about the SW system as it is implemented in Ireland today.

Is there any meaningful mechanism by which the state can pursue upkeep of the kids with their father or fathers? It wasn't me and my fellow taxpayers who sired them. The only ride we got out of it was one up the rear from her and her kind. As if the bankers and their jollies weren't enough.

• Advertisement

The real sickener is thats a lovely estate I would love to live there!! However I cant afford it despite having a lot of education seems I chose the wrong career path getting knocked up repeatedly is the way to go! Plus €675 is way too little for that house

€80,000 3 Lissanalta Close, Dooradoyle - http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/7-5m-in-houses-sold-in-limerick-last-month-1-6174367

Corpo should have bought her this one - false economy paying her 675pm rent allowance - or perhaps she could have saved up the price of this house from her E9000pa children allowance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement