Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lena Dunham Autobiography, Allegations of Abusing Sister.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tasden wrote: »
    Where is the kissing?

I don't know, I haven't read the book and never mentioned kissing in that post.

Is a 17 year old masturbating beside a sleeping 10/11 year old appropriate, or an act of non-sexual 'exploration'?

It's all very weird.. that quote when viewed in tandem with the following one
    "I took a perverse pleasure in delivering bad news to her, like the death of her grandfather.. hoping the fear would drive her into my arms"

I don't know how anyone can say that's normal behavior.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

7. A whole year older so dial back the moral outrage there Ted.

She was only a year older than her sister? The evidence is all over the place. Order in the courtroom!

Reinfoces my point - "figuring stuff out".

If she was 7 then maybe but 13 or older?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,242 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That would strike me as being more of a cause of concern, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I read it as saying she wanted to touch her sister, have physical contact with her, even going as low as using her grandfathers death to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Scannal wrote: »
    I read it as saying she wanted to touch her sister, have physical contact with her, even going as low as using her grandfathers death to get it.

I would see it more as a power play - which I guess would be similar to two brothers wrestling/making each other cry.

I dont know, my first reaction to the whole thing just wouldn be to assume sexual predator in the making.

I'm no psychologist, but it sounds like the type of thing that an abuser would do in order to gain power over a victim.

I'm no psychologist, but it sounds like the type of thing that an abuser would do in order to gain power over a victim.

From a 7 year old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

She is being crucified on the Guerrilla Feminist facebook page.

From a 7 year old?

Hardly, that would make the younger sister 1 at the time. I doubt a one year old would be too perturbed by the death of a grandparent.

That most likely happened when Lena was quite a bit older

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Scannal wrote: »

I read it as more she wanted affection from her sister, not in a creepy sexual way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

1) The stuff at 7 is a bit weird but kids are weird
    2) The stuff at 13 is a bit more than standard weird kids behavior, I know 13 is very young but at that age while you might be figuring out stuff that indicates something a bit off
    3) From that quote did this continue till she was 17, if so thats properly fcuked up
    4) Writing the book at 28 and revealing this stuff about her sister (did she have any say in it?) is just nasty

Typical boards.ie though best pretend everybody who thinks that this is all a bit off is repressed and hysterical about pedophiles, before jumping on to something where its the "right" sort of victim and perpetrator.

I would see it more as a power play - which I guess would be similar to two brothers wrestling/making each other cry.

I dont know, my first reaction to the whole thing just wouldn be to assume sexual predator in the making.

No but she's the one that compared her behaviour to that of a sexual predator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I don't know, I haven't read the book and never mentioned kissing in that post.

Is a 17 year old masturbating beside a sleeping 10/11 year old appropriate, or an act of non-sexual 'exploration'?

It's all very weird.. that quote when viewed in tandem with the following one

I just stated that the claims of her masturbating while kissing her sister were false.
    I clarified that in the book she admitted masturbating while sleeping in the same bed, as they did for years. Not while kissing.
    You quoted the passage in which she admitted above point.
    Just reinforcing what I had already clarified.
    Hence me asking where is the kissing, the claim of her masturbating was never in question, only the story about her masturbating while kissing her sister. Which isn't true. That's the only point I've addressed in the thread, the stories people are making up.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I read it as more she wanted affection from her sister, not in a creepy sexual way.

It was said right after she was talking about kissing and touching her sister, getting her to relax on her. Ewwwww it's all a bit creepy it has to be said.

Except she goes on to compare it to the very actions of a sexual predator
    As she grew, I took to bribing her time and affection: one dollar in quarters if I could do her makeup like a “motorcycle chick.” Three pieces of candy if I could kiss her on the lips for five seconds. Whatever she wanted to watch on TV if she would just “relax on me.” Basically, anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl, I was trying.

Why compare the actions to that of a sexual predator at all?

Weird as shit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Nothing good will come of this thread

Would it be different if they had just shared a room instead of a bed?
    I dont know that the masturbating was related directly to the sister?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

Lena Savile

• Registered Users Posts: 36,242 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The fact she put any of this to print is indicative of huge problems tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Sorry now, I know kids experiment and don't even know what they're doing, but there's something particularly extreme in what Dunham is describing. I wouldn't call it rape or anything, but I'd find it hard to see how anyone would think that what she is saying, and in particular how she's saying it, is normal.

I feel sorry for her sister to be honest- not so much because of stuff that went on in her childhood, but because after all these years, Lena felt that we needed to know about it. I'm not saying we should be ashamed of anything we may have done as children, because it's totally normal to experiment, but this seems really really extreme. I mean she practically equates herself with a sexual predator, so it's hardly surprising people are quite shocked. But then maybe that's the reaction she wanted in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

She sounds creepy as hell.

Except she goes on to compare it to the very actions of a sexual predator

Why compare the actions to that of a sexual predator at all?

Weird as shit.

It's supposed to be a joke, albeit a misguided not very funny one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

It's supposed to be a joke, albeit a misguided not very funny one.

I assumed she was acknowledging it was creepy and weird as **** looking back at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Would you be comfortable letting Lena Dunham babysit your kids?

I sure as **** wouldn't after reading her admissions and the fact that she continues to see nothing wrong with it.

Creepy Creepy Creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Would it be different if they had just shared a room instead of a bed?
    I dont know that the masturbating was related directly to the sister?

Well if the quote That my name is URL put in is anyway accurate yeah its a hell of a lot worse than if they were in the same bed and she was continuing this into her (later) teenage years. Sure she could have just snuck of or something like people who share rooms have to.
    Meangadh wrote: »
    I feel sorry for her sister to be honest- not so much because of stuff that went on in her childhood, but because after all these years, Lena felt that we needed to know about it.
    +1,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The fact she put any of this to print is indicative of huge problems tbh.

Strikes me as a cry for help.

On the other hand, were she a man, she would almost certainly have been questioned by the authorities by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Strikes me as a cry for help.

On the other hand, were she a man, she would almost certainly have been questioned by the authorities by now.

Doubtful. I think people in the general public might be less likely to defend her actions were she a man, but I don't think the law would be involved.

Would you be comfortable letting Lena Dunham babysit your kids?

I sure as **** wouldn't after reading her admissions and the fact that she continues to see nothing wrong with it.

Creepy Creepy Creepy.

Yes. A seven year old child being curious about genitals isn't really that creepy, it's normal. There is nothing sexual about the incident described in the book.

• Advertisement

Yes. A seven year old child being curious about genitals isn't really that creepy, it's normal. There is nothing sexual about the incident described in the book.

She was older than 7 when doing other stuff though. It is creepy, it's not rape or any of that but it's really weird stuff.

Advertisement