Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin the most popular party in latest poll (mod warnings in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

What's with all the bluster from people who defend Sinn Fein?

Err.. never mind what Sinn Fein did or didn't do, look at Fine Gael and Fianna Fail!

Why? Why look at Fine Gael and Fianna Fail? Why can't we look at Sinn Fein?

But if you are going to go down the route of looking at Enda Kenny and Michael Martin... they haven't covered themselves in glory, but they have hardly had an "abysmal" record - mainly because neither was in power (or positions of power) when such abuses were taking place. Enda, of course, was guilty of fighting Louise O'Keefe, which should not be forgotten.
    There is not much that can be done to undo what happened in the past, except get justice for Mairia Cahill and make sure systems are in place to prevent it happening again.
    My children are currently in the education system, and I can tell you this government's record in protecting them is abysmal so far. Full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

LOL at the hard-core Shinner supporters with their cries of 'prove this, or prove that' against poor Gerry.

None of the mainstream political parties really want to prove anything against Gerry. He's a fantastic electoral asset for opponents of SF. He's been so for many a year and will hopefully continue in this role for many more.

'Proof' is quite simply not required in the political sphere - Perception is King.

The mainstream public do not believe Adams.
    Can they 'prove' he's lying? Probably not.
    Does it matter that they can't - Not in the least.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

oscarBravo wrote: »
    This is why basic logic should be taught in schools.

If I told a journalist that I was in Dublin all day on a particular date, and told a court of law that I was in Cork all day on that particular date, then I've either lied or committed perjury.

You are frantically trying to argue that because it's unclear which statement was untrue, then I neither lied nor committed perjury, but apparently that's because logic is optional where SF are concerned.

Exactly, that is the problem SF have on this issue.

All they can do is throw random insults at whoever posts the evidence, they cannot bring themselves to explain it.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    There is not much that can be done to undo what happened in the past, except get justice for Mairia Cahill and make sure systems are in place to prevent it happening again.
    My children are currently in the education system, and I can tell you this government's record in protecting them is abysmal so far. Full stop.

This Government is the first one to ensure that their teachers will be vetted. Vetting has been in place for new appointees for some time but this Government is extending it to existing employees.

But I am not going down the whataboutery road any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im not frantically trying to do anything bar get Godge to outline exactly what it is he is talking about - besides claiming someone is lying, but yet unable to pinpoint the lie. Basic logic is needed here indeed, and its lacking from some of the accusations.
    This is why basic logic should be taught in schools.

If I told a journalist that I was in Dublin all day on a particular date, and told a court of law that I was in Cork all day on that particular date, then I've either lied or committed perjury.

You are frantically trying to argue that because it's unclear which statement was untrue, then I neither lied nor committed perjury, but apparently that's because logic is optional where SF are concerned.

• Advertisement

yay - more kangaroo courts. hang on, I thought you didnt like them yet here you are basically stating this instance calls for one.
    LOL at the hard-core Shinner supporters with their cries of 'prove this, or prove that' against poor Gerry.

None of the mainstream political parties really want to prove anything against Gerry. He's a fantastic electoral asset for opponents of SF. He's been so for many a year and will hopefully continue in this role for many more.

'Proof' is quite simply not required in the political sphere - Perception is King.

The mainstream public do not believe Adams.
    Can they 'prove' he's lying? Probably not.
    Does it matter that they can't - Not in the least.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

maccored wrote: »
    yay - more kangaroo courts. hang on, I thought you didnt like them yet here you are basically stating this instance calls for one.

I don't generally, but am willing to make an exception in the case of SF.

They are enemies of our State and a danger to our democratic freedoms and extraordinary measures will sometimes be required to ensure their continued political irrelevance.

I think that says it all really.

They are enemies of our State and a danger to our democratic freedoms and extraordinary measures will sometimes be required to ensure their continued political irrelevance.

They are a democratic political party in a democracy. Sorry if that petty democracy thing gets in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

No

That is dangerous in the extreme.

In a court of law, their may be evidence to support why you said one thing to one journalist, and vice versa to another.

This is why there aer courts to decide these issues, there are many types of evidence to consider, and underlying factors.

This is true for any individual, and this is why the courts are in place.

If it were left to you or me, or the media, or a political party, to make decisions based on bias, well then we would be back in the times of the Spanish inquisitions, or the Dark ages.

Allegations are all we are dealing with here.

Im not frantically trying to do anything bar get Godge to outline exactly what it is he is talking about - besides claiming someone is lying, but yet unable to pinpoint the lie. Basic logic is needed here indeed, and its lacking from some of the accusations.

It is all in the links I provided.

• Advertisement

yes, links to various newspaper reports of people making accusations. great stuff. I wanted to know YOUR point though. YOU claim he lies on tv but not in court, yet you cant pinpoint what was said on either the TV or in court.
    Godge wrote: »
    It is all in the links I provided.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

gladrags wrote: »

No; we're dealing with logic. In my example, can you explain how I neither lied to the journalist nor committed perjury?

Thats only half of it. Imagine if someone was to say you lied on one occasion but told the truth on a different one - but yet couldnt actually tell you when you were meant to have said either. That would be perfectly logical to you would it?
    No; we're dealing with logic. In my example, can you explain how I neither lied to the journalist nor committed perjury?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Which is why after all of Kenny's Dail privilege whining that Adams is currently the least popular party leader of Ireland's least popular party.
    Oh hang a minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I think that says it all really.

They are a democratic political party in a democracy. Sorry if that petty democracy thing gets in your way.

They didn't look very much like a Democratic Party yesterday.

In fact, quite the opposite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

"I usually use evidence and logic but when it comes to SF I feel I don't need to bother."
    Glad we've cleared that up.

gladrags wrote: »
    No

That is dangerous in the extreme.

In a court of law, their may be evidence to support why you said one thing to one journalist, and vice versa to another.

This is why there aer courts to decide these issues, there are many types of evidence to consider, and underlying factors.

This is true for any individual, and this is why the courts are in place.

If it were left to you or me, or the media, or a political party, to make decisions based on bias, well then we would be back in the times of the Spanish inquisitions, or the Dark ages.

Ah yes, but that only works if there is other verifiable evidence. In Gerry's case, he told one story about when he knew about the abuse on TV and another in court. Given that it is Gerry's word against another as to which version is true, there is no possibility of a conivction for perjury as the reasonable doubt exists which is that he lied to the TV programme.

You still don't seem to get it.

A car is stolen one night on Ned's road. Ned tells the neighbours that he didn't sleep well that night and that he was up several times and saw two guys steal one of the cars on the road. The gardai arrest two guys. Ned gets scared and when called to court, says in court that he slept through the whole incident and saw nothing and his conversation with the neighbours was mistaken. Now, there is no way of proving perjury in that case because it is Ned's word against the neighbours. Did Ned tell a lie or did he perjure himself?

Nobody knows the truth except Ned. Did he perjure himself in court? Was it bravado when talking to the neighbours? Nobody knows what is the truth but we can all conclude that at the very least Ned tells little white lies.

Similarly, we know that Gerry Adams at the very least tells lies, and might well be a perjurer. We can't go further than that but we can go that far.

by demanding answers to questions people all over the country want answered? How very undemocratic of them.
    Valetta wrote: »

by demanding answers to questions people all over the country want answered? How very undemocratic of them.

They got their answer, all will be revealed next week.

Then they ignored the democratic rules of the Dail in order to throw the toys out of the pram.

Who, The Labour Party or FG in not answering a question from the Opposition, mandated to ask those questions on behalf of those who elected them?

• Advertisement

No. By refusing to regognise the results of a valid vote.

Similarly, we know that Gerry Adams at the very least tells lies, and might well be a perjurer. We can't go further than that but we can go that far.

Every person in the world tells lies. If he's a perjurer then surely the courts would have had him on that by now? Then again, in your world Adams is the divil so ....

.... voted by mainly people who are politically afraid of the party mcdonald is a member of. Joan should have just answered the question.

'all will be revealed next week' isnt an answer. roll on next week mind you. lets see what the answer is.
    They got their answer, all will be revealed next week.

Then they ignored the democratic rules of the Dail in order to throw the toys out of the pram.

.... voted by mainly people who are politically afraid of the party mcdonald is a member of. Joan should have just answered the question.

Irrelevant to the point at hand.

that joan should have answered the question that caused the sit-in? 'Irrelevant to the point at hand'? Hardly.
    Irrelevant to the point at hand.

It's quite clear to anybody watching events in the Dail over the last number of weeks that the CC has questions to answer on his suitability for the post.
    Just like we the citizens are entitled to peaceful protest, so too are members of the Dail and I think MLD did the right thing and only thing open to her if she believes the gov are hiding something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

that joan should have answered the question that caused the sit-in? 'Irrelevant to the point at hand'? Hardly.

The incident was carefully choreographed to generate a populist story.

Shame on Sinn Fein for denying others a chance to question the government.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's quite clear to anybody watching events in the Dail over the last number of weeks that the CC has questions to answer on his suitability for the post.
    Just like we the citizens are entitled to peaceful protest, so too are members of the Dail and I think MLD did the right thing and only thing open to her if she believes the gov are hiding something.

Still missing the point that what she did was quite undemocratic .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

She was suspended in line with the standing orders. I don't think she should have been suspended. However at the end of the day a majority of representatives in the Dáil, who were elected by the people of Ireland, voted to suspend her in line with the standing orders. Given those circumstances, trying to hold up the work of the Dáil in protest of the suspension is fundamentally anti-democratic.

A number of options are open to SF to air their grievances about the Ceann Comhairle. One of them is to push a motion of no confidence, which I am sure might get some support amongst the opposition as a whole. But don't try and disrupt indefinitely the work of the parliament that has been elected by the people of Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement