Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Féin the most popular party in latest poll (mod warnings in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

alastair, Dan - break it up or I'll ban both of you.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

How have you arrived at this conclusion :confused:
    Perhaps the SF vote for the assembly will collapse to such an extent that they fail to secure even one ministry. But I doubt it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

With the caveat that SF poll results don't and won't translate into seats, this does look very good for Sinn Féin.

So, what's their plan? Will they go into coalition as a junior partner? Good way to get blamed for everything and lose floating voters. Sit on the opposition benches as the official opposition? I think that is more likely.

If FG/FF have the numbers, it will be very hard for them to dodge the responsibility to form a government. I used to think it'd be the death of FF, but they can hardly be worse off than they are now - with SF as the real opposition, FF look completely useless.

It might be a lifeline - a few ministerial cars, siphon some funds into constituency projects, pretend to be reining FG in.

It just might work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

With the caveat that SF poll results don't and won't translate into seats, this does look very good for Sinn Féin.

So, what's their plan? Will they go into coalition as a junior partner? Good way to get blamed for everything and lose floating voters. Sit on the opposition benches as the official opposition? I think that is more likely.

If FG/FF have the numbers, it will be very hard for them to dodge the responsibility to form a government. I used to think it'd be the death of FF, but they can hardly be worse off than they are now - with SF as the real opposition, FF look completely useless.

It might be a lifeline - a few ministerial cars, siphon some funds into constituency projects, pretend to be reining FG in.

It just might work.
    FF have been playing this game long enough that if they'll get blamed for everything as junior partners they won't be any more willing to join a coalition than SF will.
    They and FG exist solely to be in power though, so you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    FF have been playing this game long enough that if they'll get blamed for everything as junior partners they won't be any more willing to join a coalition than SF will.

FF can't be blamed for compromising their principles or failing to get their policies enacted in a coalition, since they have no principles or policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It just might work.

Martin might be made an offer he can't refuse I think, getting into government might save his leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

alastair wrote: »
    SF are firm supporters of the mandatory coalition mechanism however, so it's rather disengenous to suggest that they're being coerced into a junior role in coalition.
    Your th one who was trying to make out that cuts in the north were only the work of SF, I correctly pointed out that the Assembly is a mandatory coalition of 5 party's. It's quite clear who the one trying to be disingenuous.
    Oh, and I'm not actually a unionist, but your attempt to paint me as a bogieman is noted.
    Once again - quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, feet like a duck but it's not a duck time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Your th one who was trying to make out that cuts in the north were only the work of SF, I correctly pointed out that the Assembly is a mandatory coalition of 5 party's. It's quite clear who the one trying to be disingenuous.
    Nope. I'm just saying we can measure the economic competency of SF in coalition governance, by the record of the NI Executive. SF would also operate within a coalition in the south.
    ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Once again - quacks like a duck, waddles like a duck, feet like a duck but it's not a duck time :)
    Aside from not being a fan of SF, which most people are not, anything to ascribe unionist beliefs on me? Because it very much sounds like an imaginary duck of your own creation, that you're referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

They and FG exist solely to be in power though, so you never know.
    But FF might not have any other choice. Since 2011 when they got 17.4% according to this poll on 20%, while the FG and LP vote from 2011 of 55.5% to only 29% in the poll of which FF have only picked up 2.6%. FF after 3 years are still toxic and will continue to be, just ask anyone on the anti water charges protests. So like I said, FF may have no other choice but to be the junior party and if that's the only option to get their snout in the trough they will go for it, have no doubt about it.

alastair wrote: »
    side from not being a fan of SF, which most people are not, anything to ascribe unionist beliefs on me? Because it very much sounds like an imaginary duck of your own creation, that you're referring to.
    As imaginary as persisting laughably insisting that a power-sharing executive and voluntary coalition are exactly the same thing?
    Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

As imaginary as persisting laughably insisting that a power-sharing executive and voluntary coalition are exactly the same thing?
    Yup.

Who said they were 'exactly the same thing'? They're both coalition governments, and can be judged on their economic competences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Des Bishop knows the craic alright.

A6A6fDC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

That's crazy ok. Desperate times demand desperate measures from Denis The Menace's rags...
    Maybe he should try throwing money and directorships at SF instead like he does with FG/FF/Labour...

Hahaha, at this stage the Endapendent would be better off never mentioning SF and GA again. Their inept smear campaign is just damaging themselves and so transparent it's driving people to SF.

LOL, WaterfordWhispersNews is more credible that O'Brien's rags......

That's crazy ok. Desperate times demand desperate measures from Denis The Menace's rags...
    Maybe he should try throwing money and directorships at SF instead like he does with FG/FF/Labour...
    I'm not sure why everyone sees the hand of DOB at work here? The Sunday Independent has been critical of republicans for about a quarter of a century, and well before Denis came on the scene.

And long before SF were going anywhere electorally in the South. To imagine it is a new plan to counter the political rise of SF is at odds with these facts.

I'm not sure why everyone sees the hand of DOB at work here? The Sunday Independent has been critical of republicans for about a quarter of a century, and well before Denis came on the scene.

And long before SF were going anywhere electorally in the South. To imagine it is a new plan to counter the political rise of SF is at odds with these facts.

Yea, maybe so, but have you seen the level of gutter journalism in it now?
    It's a joke, the classic 'boy who cried wolf'!
    Nobody with any intelligence would believe most of the trash they publish.
    I look at the online versions now and again just for a laugh.

Yea, maybe so, but have you seen the level of gutter journalism in it now?
    It's a joke, the classic 'boy who cried wolf'!
    Nobody with any intelligence would believe most of the trash they publish.
    I look at the online versions now and again just for a laugh.
    Well, I've heard all of that said about it long before Denis came along.

Newspaper to take editorial lines (never quite understood why) and the Sunday Indo takes an any-SF line. So of course SF supporters won't like it. But then the supporters of any party similarly on the receiving end wouldn't like it either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Stephen Rae saying they "Defend Press freedom".

http://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2013/sep/17/irish-independent-ireland

And has he mentioned the saga surrounding the disappearance of he's penalty points?

Maybe he bought the Indo because it already has an anti-SF agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Shinners need a bogey man, there has to be someone to point the finger at when their scumbaggery (covering up rapes and child molestation) is reported. It's nothing to do with them covering these things up it's just a conspiracy against them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Hahaha, at this stage the Endapendent would be better off never mentioning SF and GA again. Their inept smear campaign is just damaging themselves and so transparent it's driving people to SF.

It's not just SF, I used to be fairly tolerant of the Indo but am I alone in thinking that the amount of bullsh!t slipping past the editors has become massively amplified in recent months? The quality of their reporting on pretty much everything has taken a massive nosedive. What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

It's not just SF, I used to be fairly tolerant of the Indo but am I alone in thinking that the amount of bullsh!t slipping past the editors has become massively amplified in recent months? The quality of their reporting on pretty much everything has taken a massive nosedive. What happened ?

Dennis took his eye of the ball.

And placed it on water meters. :)

Shinners need a bogey man,
    And our great leader Inda Cannae doesn't? And wouldn't plummet to exploiting, for example, a dissident republican rape victim with an axe to grind against SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Dennis took his eye of the ball.

And placed it on water meters. :)

Dinny is under pressure, he does not work well under such conditions. Water, Indo, the new shady political disclosures, the Lowy licence, Topaz, all the new acquisitions from his powerful friends in the present regime. Hopefully he is not using the same doctor Mickey Jackson was using. You have to stay awake, or have a minder with you, you cant trust no one.. Jaysus I own nothing, but I stay up half the night worrying about if I had.

Dinny is under pressure, he does not work well under such conditions. Water, Indo, the new shady political disclosures, the Lowy licence, Topaz, all the new acquisitions from his powerful friends in the present regime. Hopefully he is not using the same doctor Mickey Jackson was using. You have to stay awake, or have a minder with you, you cant trust no one.. Jaysus I own nothing, but I stay up half the night worrying about if I had.

Totally different situations.

You have probably worked hard for everything you have. You weren't blessed enough to have thrown loads of money at Fine Gael and then be lucky enough to have a mobile phone licence awarded to you by Michael Lowry.

Oh how I wish I was that lucky!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's not just SF, I used to be fairly tolerant of the Indo but am I alone in thinking that the amount of bullsh!t slipping past the editors has become massively amplified in recent months? The quality of their reporting on pretty much everything has taken a massive nosedive. What happened?

There are reports of a terribly stressed work environment, a lot of print media is in similar shape, but this organisation has been going through upheaval at a very senior level on top of that, a real vicious boardroom battle and all that that entails.

The organisation needs an economic recovery fast to alleviate that atmosphere, but I think the problems are much deeper.

This paper used to fool a lot of people a lot of the time but these guys are now only fooling some people some of the time...a lot of stress comes with that...the comments sections are showing a lot of disdain for the paper...sales are falling rapidly...even with a bailout of €140 million things are not good...

What we are seeing is a result of all that stress, you are right, they are normally much slicker than this, to the point where it is difficult to spot the editorial lines or narratives...recently that has gone out the window...

Incidentally and separately Enda Kenny is displaying signs of either severe stress or complete denial, I've never seen the entire establishment looking so rattled...it's like they are all fighting different fires simultaneously and they are all rapidly spiraling out control....

I'm loving it....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement