Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    As Wibbs noted up thread, I can't help considering those who close accounts regularly as flakey.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

As Wibbs noted up thread, I can't help considering those who close accounts regularly as flakey.

26,934 :rolleyes:

bitemeluis wrote: »
    26,934 :rolleyes:

... eh? What has their post count to do with anything? If anything it shows that they stick by their guns.

... eh? What has their post count to do with anything? If anything it shows that they stick by their guns.

reeks of a lofty equine to me

reeks of a lofty equine to me

236 :rolleyes:

See. It doesn't mean absolutely anything, at all. It's like being in an argument and you just stop and go, "yeah well, you wear glasses".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

236 :rolleyes:

See. It doesn't mean absolutely anything, at all. It's like being in an argument and you just stop and go, "yeah well, you wear glasses".

Yeah well, you've a boney arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I'm reading that as a lot of people have got pissed off with the Boards.ie long-time losers with nothing else to do than to try and be smart arses, and who wander the hallowed corridors seeking random posts and members to ridicule, and who go unchecked because good manners and decency is not a requirement to post, and because they are experts at staying within the "rools".

And when joined in cahoots with like-minded Mods the reasonable Boards.ie member realises "Why the fuc am I spending my time with these losers?" and so decides to close their account.

A day or so later, the X-member needs some advice from reasonable Boards members and dedicated, well meaning Mods (who do exist in great numbers), and re-reg.

This is my theory, which I am sure will be treated with the consideration and respect that it deserves.

Kettleson wrote: »
    I'm reading that as a lot of people have got pissed off with the Boards.ie long-time losers with nothing else to do than to try and be smart arses, and who wander the hallowed corridors seeking random posts and members to ridicule, and who go unchecked because good manners and decency is not a requirement to post, and because they are experts at staying within the "rools".

And when joined in cahoots with like-minded Mods the reasonable Boards.ie member realises "Why the fuc am I spending my time with these losers?" and so decides to close their account.

A day or so later, the X-member needs some advice from reasonable Boards members and dedicates Mods (who do exist in great numbers), and re-reg.

This is my theory, which I am sure will be treated with the consideration and respect that it deserves.

You're not wrong there, to an extent, but more-so a clique mentality. I know of at least two people who closed their accounts because of what was happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I closed my only previous Boards account recently because I used the same username on too many forums

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Wibbs wrote: »
    Your erudition knows no bounds. Oh wait. It does. Ah well.

Closed accounts? Some do it for good reasons. Times change and so has the nature of Boards.ie. Much of it good, much of it not so good, most of it the same. So people feel that it's become too big and they don't want to be "found out" or even stalked on the place. Others do it because they can. They see their nick as a throwaway thing. They don't own their words, they barely own themselves. Others do it because they've changed and feel their old nick doesn't represent them anymore and fair enough. Some do it to avoid a siteban or other shenanigans. Some do it because they're the hysterical type who gets the hump over something and storms out. I can't win the argument/get my own way so run away. Wah. Wah. The doorslammers in real life basically. Of all the categories for me the last would be the ones best avoided in real life. Dramallamas.

PS good to see you back Terry, if even for a short stay. :)
    Aidric wrote: »
    Classic case of that in recent months from one of the sites post hungry individuals. ;) All I could do was cringe when I saw him back posting again under another name within a week.

You have to hope they realise any scrap of credibility they might have had on the site was handed in with the strop.

Have no issues with people wanting to close their accounts in general but as mentioned above some users love the attention / limelight . How can someone rack up over 3,000 posts in just 3 months? Do they have any life outside of Boards?

• Advertisement

Stargate wrote: »
    Have no issues with people wanting to close their accounts in general but as mentioned above some users love the attention / limelight . How can someone rack up over 3,000 posts in just 3 months? Do they have any life outside of Boards?

However much they attempt to justify by smartness, a lot of the Mods ain't gotta much life outside of Boards.ie. How could they? They know that, but acceptance is hard. This is why they contribute to members closing accounts.
    This is my theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

To some extent it may be the proliferation of off-topic threads. Posters can rack dozens of posts in an evening by effectively using it as an instant messenger function.

30+ posts a day seems like a lot, though maybe I've just been working too long and have forgotten what it's like to be a student using any inane thread to put off studying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Chocolate Lions

The internet is anonymous. I think people that are attached to their monickers are bizzare tbh. At the end of the day you'll read this post and whether my name is Chocolate Lions or Deep Throat it'll be the same content and I'll still be anonymous.

And I think some members have a problem with that specifically because of the cliquishness, something along the lines of feeling insulted that others don't want to be in their little club - geeking on each other and circle-jerking. Which is a problem, and it's not a healthy thing when that's prevalent, like it is on here.

Personally I've closed an account before simply out of disgust for some of the mouth breathers on here. Just sad, useless people that don't contribute anything but post garbage all day, trying at sarcasm or arguing with anyone, leaping into a thread in order to act all wearied by it. Losers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You're not wrong there, to an extent, but more-so a clique mentality. I know of at least two people who closed their accounts because of what was happening.
    Ditto BAB. I've seen similar myself. The notion that cliques don't exist is a nonsense, it's within the very nature of any social group/community that cliques exist. Certainly I've been in some and then out of some(I don't do too well with cliques TBH. They start to bore me quickly). That would defo be another category of folks that close accounts and an understandable one. Though I would say and again IMH cliques are less in evidence on Boards now than they were.

Closing accounts is all very well and there is many the good reason to do so, but as LuckyLloyd said it's the ones who do so regularly after a hissy fit and then come back announcing to all and sundry who they are that are a bit... I dunno. Attention seekers, notice boxes? That's for others to decide. Me I just can't take them seriously. Anyone who is overpowered momentarily by an attack of the feels and acts on that is at best quixotic, or from my viewpoint by near definition unreliable.

Oh and that's fine too. People are who they are, all shapes and hues of personality and all that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

These things are important on the lofty battlefields of internet intercourse.

Get your coat Ann, youve pulled

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kettleson wrote: »
    However much they attempt to justify by smartness, a lot of the Mods ain't gotta much life outside of Boards.ie. How could they? They know that, but acceptance is hard.
    I have zero problem with stating my life has become quite contracted in the last 7 odd years(due to familial and external forces). And I certainly accept the fact that if this was say 2001 no way would I be on here nearly as much as I am. Indeed I might well have, if not would have had quite the similar take as you on it. And yes I do see other high volume posters and think "how the hell are they doing this?" and keeping down jobs etc. Though even at my worst I would have hoped to have been less judgmental about it.

Never mind that I've met and have gotten to know many such members on here and they all had pretty full lives. Careers, lovelives, families and all that. Not the "fat nerd neckbeards in basements" you/I might have expected(and TBH I did at first). Which really made me think how the hell did they do it, but they do. I doubt I could juggle that much TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I really doubt it's a fit of rage for everyone. I'd say it's privacy. You get a lot of info about someone from searching their post history. Some people are uncomfortable with that and like to start again with a separate account. If you have given away enough to be identifiable and have also stated a lot of strong opinions you might worry. If it were possible to delete any post, no matter how far back or if post history was not searchable, I'd say there would be a lot less closures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's easy enough tbh. I did it on my previous account, built up 10k posts in about a year.

These are the times I'd go on boards (and usually post) -

When I'm bored in work.
    When I'm on a bus to or from work.
    When I can't sleep (there's literally nothing else to do when it's 5am and I'm chewing my nails for something to do - a regular occurrence).
    When I'm drunk (in bed, usually, when I've gone home).
    When I'm waiting around for my mam to get out of bed so I can get a list of crap she needs me to do for her (she's disabled, so i do a lot for her).

So, yeah. It's pretty easy to rack up a high post count.

I have a job, a fantastic relationship, great friendships, a social life, a busy family life, and I still manage to get onto boards quite a bit.

Sure it takes about 60 seconds to write a post, maybe 2 minutes to read a thread. Doesn't take much time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭j80ezgvc3p92xu

The Bruiser never changes. The Bruiser never leaves. The Bruiser just waits, biding his time....

It's stuff like this. You write aloada sh**te online and you do not really care. Sure, someone might know you but so what. If I get banned I'm not setting another account up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Get your coat Ann, youve pulled

Ever see The Crying Game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I'd consider myself a bit invested in my boards persona. Or at least I don't dissociate from it. I am the quintessential Beks101 :)

Ah no, it'd take something substantial for me to close my account and just piss off or come back as 'someone else'. I'd be found out in no time anyway as my posting style and opinions and all that rubbish would be the same.

I get that most people become different versions of themselves - or else entirely
    different personas altogether - online though and I'm prob a bit weird in that I don't really make any distinction

I don't really get the storming-off-in-a-rage quits though. If I get caught up in a heated debate that's getting under my skin too much I will literally unfollow that thread and move on. No explanation given, I'll just fcuk right off and find another thread to join instead.

I have zero problem with stating my life has become quite contracted in the last 7 odd years(due to familial and external forces). And I certainly accept the fact that if this was say 2001 no way would I be on here nearly as much as I am. Indeed I might well have, if not would have had quite the similar take as you on it. And yes I do see other high volume posters and think "how the hell are they doing this?" and keeping down jobs etc. Though even at my worst I would have hoped to have been less judgmental about it.

Never mind that I've met and have gotten to know many such members on here and they all had pretty full lives. Careers, lovelives, families and all that. Not the "fat nerd neckbeards in basements" you/I might have expected(and TBH I did at first). Which really made me think how the hell did they do it, but they do. I doubt I could juggle that much TBH.

Get a life before life passes you by.

Ditto BAB. I've seen similar myself. The notion that cliques don't exist is a nonsense, it's within the very nature of any social group/community that cliques exist. Certainly I've been in some and then out of some(I don't do too well with cliques TBH. They start to bore me quickly). That would defo be another category of folks that close accounts and an understandable one. Though I would say and again IMH cliques are less in evidence on Boards now than they were.

Closing accounts is all very well and there is many the good reason to do so, but as LuckyLloyd said it's the ones who do so regularly after a hissy fit and then come back announcing to all and sundry who they are that are a bit... I dunno. Attention seekers, notice boxes? That's for others to decide. Me I just can't take them seriously. Anyone who is overpowered momentarily by an attack of the feels and acts on that is at best quixotic, or from my viewpoint by near definition unreliable.

Oh and that's fine too. People are who they are, all shapes and hues of personality and all that.

Bull s h I t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

You assume that some folk close their account because of a hissy-fit, ok most probably do. But some folk might get astonishingly drunk one night and decide to close the account out of drunkenness only, with no other reason but deciding that boards is just not cut-out for them. But when this person wakes up the following day with earth-tremors and a fuzzy fonzy head on them, they only then realise that they closed their bank-account as well.

Reach out to the folks Wibbs and give them all a huge hug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Tbh, to be considered flakey on the internet is not an accusation I'd lose any sleep over.

To be considered an absolute thundering wankery bitch....I wouldn't be mad about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I've closed and opened a few accounts in the past. I am definitely recognisable in any persona I've had, I'm not under any illusions about that! That's probably why I've gone through a few.

I closed an account when I got pregnant. I had loads of questions to ask in the Pregnancy and Parenting forums, and I was aware that it was entirely possible colleagues/family/acquaintances might very well know who I was. It was very early on in the pregnancy when I found out, and obviously I wanted to be able to tell everyone in my own time rather than have them reading about it on Boards! I guess I could have just created a second account, but I mostly use Boards on my phone, and it would be a pain in the ass having to log in and out all the time. (I did make an effort to keep that account anonymous at the very start, but only until everyone "in real life" knew about the pregnancy.)

I've closed accounts coming up to exams. It's not that I don't have the willpower not to use it, but if I had to go to the effort of setting up a new email address, and then setting up a new Boards account, and thinking of a new username, and resetting all my passwords etc ... it just doesn't seem worth it. So it's good to remove that distraction for a few days! (As I said, I usually use Boards on my phone, so these things take time and effort and I'm lazy!) I've never closed an account for this reason with the intention of doing it long-term, I like Boards!

I'd definitely close an account when starting a new job. Or even just randomly every now and then. A colleague might recognise me tomorrow, and go for a nosey through my old posts, but at least they'll (right now) only be able to read back the last couple of months - it's unlikely that they'll associate me with any of my old closed accounts. I think it was 2007 when I first started using Boards - that's seven years ago, a lot has changed. I would never rely on closing an account to stop people being able to access and recognise me from old posts - after all, I tend to post in all the same forums, and don't make any effort to "disguise" myself or change my posting style - but I do think it reduces the chances of them getting access to seven years worth of me spouting shite! And you know, it wouldn't bother me if it was a good friend or family who knew all of my old usernames - because they'd know me well, and they'd understand my posts in the context of where I was in my life at that time. It's moreseo the thoughts of a colleague or vague acquaintance having a snoop ... I'm just more comfortable not having a long posting history behind me ... people change, opinions change, I don't always want to be associated with some of the posts from years back.

I'm sure some people think I'm a flake or whatever, and that my above reasons are stupid. It doesn't really bother me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

If you looked back at my last posts on my first account it would appear that I closed my account because of a disagreement with another poster. There's was so much more going on in the background that others didn't see. So to the outside world it may have looked like a hissy fit. It was actually the straw that broke the camels back tbh.

Too many fúcktards annoyed and stalked my second account so that was closed and I forgot about boards for about 8 months. Now I don't post in any of the forums I used to post in. Less chance of people annoying me. I'm a happy boardsie now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

I wrote a piece on this a couple of months back. Users who close accounts and particular those who announce it and have a good bye thread are just attention seeking. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

s8n wrote: »
    I wrote a piece on this a couple of months back. Users who close accounts and particular those who announce it and have a good bye thread are just attention seeking. Nothing more, nothing less.

What about those of us that just close our account without any fanfare, what bracket do we fall into?

Advertisement