Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts?

Options

Comments

Jaxxy wrote: »
    I knew there was a good reason for keeping that sig. :P

That and every time my brother sees one of my posts he makes a point of reminding me how disgusting it is.

I just - for the first time in my entire time posting here - turned on signatures. And I nearly closed my own account - the place looked THAT weird and funky. 2 minutes I just lasted - before I turned it off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

This thread seems to come up every couple of months for some reason :confused:

I will post what I posted the last time.

I had someone find out who I was, print my posts, edit my posts before printing them and hand them out to people in my locality. I'm talking about friends of mine being visited in their place of business and being handed this stuff. There was nothing bad about anyone in the posts, no bitching behind anyone's back, nothing nasty, it was just stuff to me that I didn't want people to know.

I suppose I am now pretending to be a different person. I don't post in the forums I used to post in, I tell lies here and there to make my posts hard to follow and put together. Could you blame me?

I personally don't see the problem with closing your account and opening a new one. Why it bothers anyone is baffling.

Now that is scary

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

smash wrote: »
    I don't get the fuss over closed accounts. If a re-reg wants to make themselves known to you then they will. Otherwise, you'll probably figure them out pretty quick anyway.

I'm trying to decide what my new boards name would be... Hmmmm

Grab?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

For various reasons. I have no problem saying what my previous usernames were btw and it's been fairly obvious to some people (mainly my propensity to ****e on about Spain all the time).

Eve_Dublin was closed out of anger after a VERY heated discussion which got me very angry and I felt if Boards was having that affect on me in my personal life, then it wasn't doing me any good..

Legs.Eleven was closed with the intention of never returning and trying to break this habit and use my time more productively as I found myself getting stuck in silly online discussions that were pointless (nobody's going to change their mind on here, particularly people with polar opposite opinions to your own).

I'm back now because I found myself reading posts and wanting to thank them...and I'm probably a bit addicted, if the truth be known.

I don't want to get involved in more heated discussions as it's a waste of my time and energy. I let them get to me too much and I'm not arsed with that anymore. Better things to be doing with my time than bickering with people I don't like.

I think people close their accounts for a variety of reasons and not just out of cowardice.
    I remember you (in a nice way). I'll get to the cowardice bit later.
    So u close your account because u clash with people and u want to start fresh so there will be no one to judge you?
    I've no idea what the fúck that means.
    Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Yes, the boards of today has more wums and trolls, unfortunately I'm the kind of poster who sometimes reacts
    What's a "Wum"?
    bitemeluis wrote: »
    completely inaccurate
    I've met quite a few of the mods in person. About 90% of them were nice people.
    I don't know who Luis is, but you should probably get over your issues with that person. Holding grudges is detrimental to your mental health.
    There are fewer than five people left on Boards who know who I am, and you ain't one of them, son...
    Listen, Dad. I know who you are.
    You can't fool me.
    Because MACBETH
    Post reported. :D
    Links234 wrote: »
    I closed my old account after I came out as trans. I felt like that account just wasn't me at all, just some persona I had built up over the years, like a character I was playing.

I was bubbles btw. ;)
    I always read the numbers in your username in German. :)
    Varies greatly I think. 2 Users I could who posted heavily on the Religion forums look likey they closed out because they were simply out debated at every turn and their opinions were shown to be ludicrous. So I guess some people just leave in embarrassment sometimes.

Quite often though some people simply "rage quit" for not getting their own way on some issue. Some moderator decision went against them - or someone kicked their teddy bear - and they closed their account in protest. A former moderator of the Christianity forum for example appears to have rage quit because his request for a second Christian forum was denied.

Others quit because they have a forum use addiction - doing 100s of posts a day - to the detriment of their real lives. So they quit the forum in an attempt to stem the flow of their addiction.

And others quit because they simply realize that the person they turn into when behind a keyboard is someone they are simply not proud to be. People can often change on line (look at the Do You like Your online self thread for more) and there can come a moment when people suddenly "see themselves" in the metaphorical mirror and do not like what they see.

While still others might close it for reasons of stalkers - threats - and other things they wish to avoid - while still using the forum. My favorite poster on the Religion forums - who I have met for drinks a few times too - has told me a few stories of threats on his life - but so far he has not taken them seriously enough to close his account here and move on.

As for people who quit one account and start another - to pretend to be different people - I have not yet experienced this one. But I would not be surprised to hear it happens. Perhaps in some cases they were found out on some lie - such as claiming to have some qualification or skill or education they did not actually have - so they closed one account and started another so they could start claiming the same lie again anew. While others might want to post here without their partner or someone knowing about it - so if that person finds out about the username - they switch to a new one.

And they are all the reasons that jumped instantly into my head - there is likely 100s more if I put my mind to it.
    Stop making sense.
    The system used by Boards for infractions/bans is skewed heavily against long-term users.

If you end up racking up a few bans, even if it's over the course of years, you end up getting banned for a month from a forum for even a minor indiscretion if a Mod is having a bad day.

It should be like penalty points where bans expire after a set period, but in fact it's the opposite, where moderators use your past posts to justify banning you over something minor - effectively double-punishing you.
    Of course you can always appeal, but this works in about 0.000001% of cases :rolleyes:

Sometimes it's better just to rip it up and start again.
    It's not that simple.
    The infraction system is there to make it easier for mods to find out who is being a dick all the time. Any half decent mod will look into the reasons behind previous infractions, and make a judgement call.
    They're not always right, but most of the time they get it spot on.
    This thread seems to come up every couple of months for some reason :confused:

I will post what I posted the last time.

I had someone find out who I was, print my posts, edit my posts before printing them and hand them out to people in my locality. I'm talking about friends of mine being visited in their place of business and being handed this stuff. There was nothing bad about anyone in the posts, no bitching behind anyone's back, nothing nasty, it was just stuff to me that I didn't want people to know.

I suppose I am now pretending to be a different person. I don't post in the forums I used to post in, I tell lies here and there to make my posts hard to follow and put together. Could you blame me?

I personally don't see the problem with closing your account and opening a new one. Why it bothers anyone is baffling.
    In fairness, that's a rare occurrence, but I can see why you felt the need to lose that account. There is quite a lot of really ****ed up people out there.
    I don't blame you one bit for doing what you had to do.

BarryD wrote: »
    Not quite on topic but related - how many people here have different usernames running from differing IP addresses etc? I'd dare say there's quite a few judging by other sites I've seen. Can be a good laugh when they're caught out by posting under one name from work say and then coming back in later into the thread under a different persona from home etc, whilst clearly being showing they're the same individual.

It's really not that difficult to spot re-registered users. Especially the ones who end up being banned. Everyone has a unique posting style.
    While some of them avoid detection for a while, most are eventually caught.

It's the ones who don't get caught who scare me. They tend to be sociopaths. The type of people who can recreate themselves at a moment's notice. There's something disturbing about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Terry wrote: »
    I always read the numbers in your username in German. :)

You're doing it right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Just over two hours until my birthday and my 4th year on boards. It's scary to think next year I'll be starting school when it seemed like just the other day I was still wetting the bed and pooping in my panti. I've considered closing my account a few times but never too seriously. I guess I'm here to stay :)

I used to say that I'd never do it but have considered it a couple of times in recent months. Usually when I feel like I'm being ganged up on. On most occasions I sleep on it and then don't think it again the following day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Links234 wrote: »

Damn it now I am confused, are you a Fascist getting away with playing militaristic music by masking it with Left wing lyrics, or are you a left winger subverting the music loved by the Far Right by mimicking their sound.
    (Or does the answer depend if your in St.Petersberg or in Berlin ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

Don't ask me, I'm just a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Karsini wrote: »
    I used to say that I'd never do it but have considered it a couple of times in recent months. Usually when I feel like I'm being ganged up on. On most occasions I sleep on it and then don't think it again the following day.
    Thats one of the reasons why I closed my old account

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I closed my old account because I wanted a new start. It wasn't that well known anyway so I had no regrets closing it.

This is my fourth account on boards. I never intended to disappear and re-reg so often but it's just the way things happened.

The first account I had for a good few years, had 10k+ posts and was a mod for a while too. I joined boards when I was quite young and immature, so there are undoubtedly a lot of really dumb posts associated with my a/c, especially in the first few years. That isn't why I closed it though; I made a conscious decision to close it because I was increasingly associating it with really dark periods of my life. I was very involved in one particular forum that I loved posting in. I got to meet a lot of people through there who I really liked but the breakdown of a relationship led to me becoming distant from most of them, and that hurt me quite a bit, probably more than it should have. I wanted a fresh start; I wasn't pushed about people knowing who I was but just the luxury of a new username was enough at the time.

My second account was the one I really regret closing. It was a reckless decision that happened on a night where I had a bit too much to drink (but obviously not enough to hinder my typing and internet-navigating abilities!) I was in a total "fúck the world and everybody in it" mood. Everything went that night - Facebook, Twitter, boards, anything that had a password got scrambled and anything with a "deactivate/disable/close" option was put to sleep. Of course, all those things were inevitably recovered shortly after but boards accounts are gone for good once you click that "close" button.

The third account wasn't one I ever really took seriously, I was still sheepish about account #2 and had told myself I wouldn't go using boards so much anymore. The only reason I re-regged again was because of a question I wanted to ask on a music forum, one that I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask. I closed it again a couple of weeks later. I can't even really remember much else of what I posted with that account tbh.

And I guess it was at that point that I realised that boards has sucked me in to such an extent that I'll never properly be free of it, whether I want to be or not. Despite a whole load of downs on this site (a quick scan through the depression thread will show that I don't exactly hold back talking about difficult stuff on here, completely different to my real life persona where I just bottle everything up most of the time) I've had a lot of ups too. It was while reading the Dental Plan! thread on AH that I said to myself "fúck it" and re-regged yet again - thus Homer J. Fong was born.

As for what happens next; well, I certainly have no plans to close this account. I can't promise it won't happen, of course, but I'd like to stick around for good......not that the vast majority of ye could give a tiny shíte about whether I do or not! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

seriously, who gives a ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

seriously, who gives a ****e

You by the looks of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You by the looks of it!

Well said.

I think choosing to close one's account is to flinch in the all-encompassing gaze of the human condition.

It is a premature capitulation to one's own mortality.

Down with this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'm just popping out for a pint of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm deadly too.
    I stand by all the bull**** I have posted over the years. Even if it was wrong.

Me too , except I was never wrong.

Don't get the whole closed account thing myself , it would be much better to have a couple of accounts on the go at the same time. The you can be an asshole or nice as the mood dictates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The Muppet wrote: »
    Me too , except I was never wrong.

Don't get the whole closed account thing myself , it would be much better to have a couple of accounts on the go at the same time. The you can be an asshole or nice as the mood dictates.

What's your nice account?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What's your nice account?

It's Davarus Walrus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I thought about closing my account until I realized that after 4 years on boards and over 7000 posts no one has a clue who I am anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's a few posters who keep closing accounts and coming back but they visit the exact same forums and talk about the exact same stuff in the exact same style of writing. I don't know why they bother...

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I thought about closing my account until I realized that no one has a clue who I am anyway...

Yeah I realized no one knows who I am either the other day on the "Profile Visits" thread when I realized about 7 people have ever visited mine. So it is hard for me to think of any reason I might ever close my account :)
    Stop making sense.

Can a rose do anything but flower. Can the sun do anything but rise. Can Chris Evans do anything but be ginger? To ask of me to not make sense is to ask of the moon to stop making people inexplicably think of cheese. I am a slave to the sense that flows through me. Be mindful of the force young one and turn ye on the Atari Jaguar and rejoice in the relative splendour of all else but it.

That better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

This thread inspired my reincarnation.

People get emotionally invested in Boards, but tbh it's pretty hard to do. They find it hard to separate their online selves with the personal and take everything to heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

This thread inspired my reincarnation.

Are you the guy/gal who has been re-regging all morning?

Are you the guy/gal who has been re-regging all morning?

No.

Closed my account (5k ish posts) on the basis of reading this thread, it was bugging me that some eejit had left personal messages with my name on the visitors page of the old account. Was a PM conversation, based on some advice they had asked for, which they continued over on to my vistor page messages.

It was bugging me so I shut up shop and moved premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

No.

Closed my account (5k ish posts) on the basis of reading this thread, it was bugging me that some eejit had left personal messages with my name on the visitors page of the old account. Was a PM conversation, based on some advice they had asked for, which they continued over on to my vistor page messages.

It was bugging me so I shut up shop and moved premises.

Are we friends, enemies, frenemies or strangers? Stalker mode engaged.

Are we friends, enemies, frenemies or strangers? Stalker mode engaged.

Strangers.

I don't know the real life identiy of anyone posting on here and suspect that will long be the case as I'm living out foreign.

I don't believe we ever crossed swords posting wise either. I really only closed the account because I foolishly used my name signing off a PM and it was re-posted on my wall.

Thanks for this thread I was inspired close and come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As Wibbs noted up thread, I can't help considering those who close accounts regularly as flakey.

Advertisement