Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hey Wibbs Is it possible to reclaim back your first previous account handle. I mean, if it is closed from the main server-point, can it be reactivated again ? just wondering.
    I don't think so Bong. I think - and better counsel will be along in due course - that part of the legal requirement attached to the close account option is that it can't be retrieved.

That's the other aspect of this, it wasn't Boards' idea, it was foisted upon them by the legalities around online identities and such.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hi Terry o/

I could see why people have genuine reasons for closing accounts, if somebody is using your account against you, either as a means to stalk you, target you in some way.

I'd be more with How soon is now on this though ( :o ), the anonymity is not really that important to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I dunno at this stage. A rellie gave me one of those ickle, but enough to do damage bottles of Madeira earlier. It's been a while, but damn I needed to be a bit "warm" of an evening. Hell I typed the (bad)Latin for bullshít a couple of posts ago.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Hi Terry o/

I could see why people have genuine reasons for closing accounts, if somebody is using your account against you, either as a means to stalk you, target you in some way.

I'd be more with How soon is now on this though ( :o ), the anonymity is not really that important to me.

Why the :o face ? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't think so Bong. I think - and better counsel will be along in due course - that part of the legal requirement attached to the close account option is that it can't be retrieved.

That's the other aspect of this, it wasn't Boards' idea, it was foisted upon them by the legalities around online identities and such.

But as 'request-wise' from the original new-account holder of previous account, i am just wondering. I never had anything dodgy or bogey on my previous account, so that part is ok within charter rules.

I was just interested to know if it was actually possible.

Any-who, I'm just a curious person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've been on boards since September 2004. I lost my previous account during the hacking in 2010. So I guess I didn't have a choice unlike others.

My previous account certainly did not have anything to be ashamed of associated with it. However, I was younger and probably posted a bit too much personal identifying stuff. Something which I'm far more careful about with this account.

I can understand people closing their account for that reason but a lot of people don't seem to change their habits and/or deliberately choose a similar sounding username, which suggests to me that they want to be recognised. I've no problem with that either, it just makes me question why people bother closing their account in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Terry wrote: »
    I know who you are.

There are fewer than five people left on Boards who know who I am, and you ain't one of them, son...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I miss flutterinbantam...

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Well, I ain't hiding. :D

My old account was Tarzana. Why did I close it? Why not? :) It really doesn't matter, does it?
    Well there must be some reason surely? Unless one has a change of heart every time the barometric pressure changes. And that would be odd. Maybe the shiny button syndrome is in play for some? Dougle on the plane and the red button scenario. Like people who aren't afraid of heights, but of falling/jumping. I. Must. Press. Close account. Don't get it myself, especially when folks come back with pretty much the same nick. Very odd to me. Then again I tend to be a reductionist and literalist, so that would confuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

My old account was Tarzana. Why did I close it? Why not? :) It really doesn't matter, does it?

of course it matters, if theres a thread created for it in AH the by god it matters

I have closed many an account, once paid 5 bucks to change name - fcuk that, never again - need to keep up with the times, current identity pays homage to the great man

also there are a great number of card happy mods around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Because MACBETH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

I'm not precious about post counts or respect for being a long standing member, I just like to change user names for my own amusement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

strobe wrote: »
    "I notice this all the time in Spain..." ah, there's Legs Eleven back on now, "Lol at all the people saying.." Ah Dudess, it's only yourself again, etc...

:D:o

Because MACBETH

Oh no he didn't...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

I'm not precious about post counts or respect for being a long standing member, I just like to change user names for my own amusement.

reckon the current one wont last too long either when you actually realize it makes you look like Larry Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Well there must be some reason surely? Unless one has a change of heart every time the barometric pressure changes. And that would be odd. Maybe the shiny button syndrome is in play for some? Dougle on the plane and the red button scenario. Like people who aren't afraid of heights, but of falling/jumping. I. Must. Press. Close account. Don't get it myself, especially when folks come back with pretty much the same nick. Very odd to me. Then again I tend to be a reductionist and literalist, so that would confuse me.

Heat of the moment, I suppose. I signed up again immediately after closing Eve_Dublin. A "Right! That's it!:mad:" moment then the realisation that I spend most of my time online on here and who was I fooling.

Plus Eve_Dublin was a crappy name and the one I have now better suits the man-hating, bra-burning, castrating, slightly unhinged Feminazi persona I've acquired the past 7 years, I think.

Edit: And my legs definitely aren't deserving of a name so saucy as "Legs.Eleven".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

But again, so what? Like really, who cares? Even if there is just some momentary, nonsensical reason that doesn't make sense? Or if it is a "Ooh, must press!" thing, why does it matter? Or if someone has genuinely changed, as people do, and wants to distance themselves from the the reputation attached to that username. Opinions will still be expressed, people will still exaggerate, or have a different online persona or whatever, it will still give a snapshot of things in the country at that very moment. People fretting about it wrecking the integrity of the site - eh, grrrraaaand, but it's not *that* important.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

Others do it because they can. They see their nick as a throwaway thing. They don't own their words, they barely own themselves. Others do it because they've changed and feel their old nick doesn't represent them anymore and fair enough. )

I think this is the crux of it. Look at how people in the media get pulled up on the slightest remark they made 20 years ago. People could have had opinions 5 years ago and posted extensively about them, yet now horrify them, and quotes could be used against them now or in the future, and media/court of public opinion as we know it doesn't allow a fair response to this sort of thing

My own opinion is the boards owner brought this on himself by not allowing users to edit/delete their posts or "annono-mise" their profile. I
    They wanted boards to be some sort of history of Irish thought, but with all these closed accounts that concept is now completely meaningless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

no harm in a sequel, but you'll really need to up your game and keep the plot solid if yer going for a trilogy or some sort of a saga!

:pac:

Terry wrote: »
    Aside from the odd sojourn to the computer forums, it's been a while since I have even looked at this site.

A while ago I noticed that some accounts had been closed. Looked into it a bit more, and found that you can now close your account.
    Looked into it a little more, and saw that some of my favourite users had closed their accounts.

I'm calling shenanigans. I'd call them all pussies for not standing by what they have posted in the past, but that would most likely get me banned.

Why would I call them pussies? Because I know damn well that most of them have created new accounts, and are now pretending to be different people.

How do I know this? Because I'm a ****ing rocket scientist.
    Ok, I'm not a rocket scientist, but my neighbour left a banger here the other night, and I know how bangers work. I'm almost a rocket scientist.

Seriously though; why close your account?
    Were the people here really that nasty?
    Did you post something really fúcking stupid? If so, why not just ask a mod to delete the post in question? They're not all dicks. Most of them are quite nice.

Maybe I'm just asking a stupid question, or maybe there are no stupid questions, and I'm just a stupid person. I just don't see the point in closing an account.

This is my third account. I didn't like when people in real life figured out my username. I like anonymity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, this is from the guy who's naked picture was put up. Listen to him bitches.

Whoa, back up there. There's absolutely nothing wrong with boardsies flashing a bit of skin from time to time. Especially when it's done in such an artistic fashion as with a veteran like Terr.

People close their accounts though for numerous reasons and I don't see the big deal. It's probably best to take no notice of the username for serious threads anyway and take each post on its merits. I mean someone may find me generally annoying but agree with a point I make in a particular thread and vise versa. Best not to take forums too personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Why the :o face ? :P

I thought it was the done thing now, you can only agree with How soon is now if you follow it with a disclaimer :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Heat of the moment, I suppose. I signed up again immediately after closing Eve_Dublin. A "Right! That's it!:mad:" moment then the realisation that I spend most of my time online on here and who was I fooling.

Plus Eve_Dublin was a crappy name and the one I have now better suits the man-hating, bra-burning, castrating, slightly unhinged Feminazi persona I've acquired the past 7 years, I think.

Edit: And my legs definitely aren't deserving of a name so saucy as "Legs.Eleven".

Jesus Christ :eek:

But again, so what? Like really, who cares? Even if there is just some momentary, nonsensical reason that doesn't make sense? Or if it is a "Ooh, must press!" thing, why does it matter?
    Oh it doesn't. Though it does for me at least make me think "hmmm not reliable, so take opinion with a large pinchette of salt".
    Or if someone has genuinely changed, as people do, and wants to distance themselves from the the reputation attached to that username.
    True and I can understand that reason, but to close an account and then return with pretty much the same nick that identifies them? Seems a tad too "spur of the moment, attack of the feels, so stormed off" going on, or I don't attach any gravity to my words and persona. And that's fine but I personally don't take the type seriously.
    My own opinion is the boards owner brought this on himself by not allowing users to edit/delete their posts or "annono-mise" their profile. I
    They wanted boards to be some sort of history of Irish thought, but with all these closed accounts that concept is now completely meaningless.
    That's the point VR, Boards didn't come up with this, it was foisted upon them from outside and legislation surrounding online identities. If the "forget me" stuff gets legs online then it may get worse again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

You okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I Closed mine for the attention, but no-one mourned me. Fcukers.

You okay?
    He's just found Gawd. Where he always was. Apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I thought it was the done thing now, you can only agree with How soon is now if you follow it with a disclaimer :pac:

Im confused ? ha I dunno what you mean.

I Closed mine for the attention, but no-one mourned me. Fcukers.

I have to say your new username is simply delightful. Well chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Naah, he's a he and only posts in Motors. Beards a laydee. :)

Advertisement