Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts?

Options
  • 29-10-2014 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

Aside from the odd sojourn to the computer forums, it's been a while since I have even looked at this site.

A while ago I noticed that some accounts had been closed. Looked into it a bit more, and found that you can now close your account.
    Looked into it a little more, and saw that some of my favourite users had closed their accounts.

I'm calling shenanigans. I'd call them all pussies for not standing by what they have posted in the past, but that would most likely get me banned.

Why would I call them pussies? Because I know damn well that most of them have created new accounts, and are now pretending to be different people.

How do I know this? Because I'm a ****ing rocket scientist.
    Ok, I'm not a rocket scientist, but my neighbour left a banger here the other night, and I know how bangers work. I'm almost a rocket scientist.

Seriously though; why close your account?
    Were the people here really that nasty?
    Did you post something really fúcking stupid? If so, why not just ask a mod to delete the post in question? They're not all dicks. Most of them are quite nice.

Maybe I'm just asking a stupid question, or maybe there are no stupid questions, and I'm just a stupid person. I just don't see the point in closing an account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, this is from the guy who's naked picture was put up. Listen to him bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Wow, a stupid rocket scientist! Was that one of yours last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Nothing about posting anything nasty. My reason was for personal issues, and also, it really did need a crap-cleanup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I just thought they closed your account when you run out of things to say.

Like the banks close your account when you take all your bread out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Its starting to confuse me the amount of closed accounts im seeing lately then people reappearing under new screen names.

Sometimes i see users with accounts only made in the last few months and the way they talk and act with people on here i do be like ehhhhh what username did they used to be? Or are they new users?

The whole close account then new account and re reg thing is confusing! Why bother!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

I remember a big long sob story from someone claiming they suddenly decided to leave boards......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Boredom I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Terry wrote: »
    I'm calling shenanigans. I'd call them all pussies for not standing by what they have posted in the past, but that would most likely get me banned.

Why would I call them pussies? Because I know damn well that most of them have created new accounts, and are now pretending to be different people.
    You'll notice a few "rage quits" whereby their account shuts down over the weekend; probably after a few jars :pac: Also, as they're no longer poster per se, I wonder could you actually get a warning for attacking what-is-no-longer-a-poster?
    Seriously though; why close your account?
    Some of them have recreated their accounts. Their writing styles, their politics, etc, are the same. I think they recreate their accounts to throw off people they argue against, so that they are seen as a new user, and not someone who, for example, is a FF'er from North Dublin that likes trucks, and can be trolled easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

That's the only reason I haven't closed my account and started afresh. Seems like way too much fcuking work

Its starting to confuse me the amount of closed accounts im seeing lately then people reappearing under new screen names.

Sometimes i see users with accounts only made in the last few months and the way they talk and act with people on here i do be like ehhhhh what username did they used to be? Or are they new users?

The whole close account then new account and re reg thing is confusing! Why bother!

One long drunken night maybe... You have been here for many years and just say... feck-it, time to start afresh. I'd like to know how many folk actually closed their account from being too drunk the night they closed it down. I wouldn't mind going back to my previous account at all now, but sometimes a moment of clarity persuades you to let it go and start anew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

And tonight Matthew, I'm ....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Birneybau wrote: »
    Yeah, this is from the guy who's naked picture was put up. Listen to him bitches.
    Wow, a stupid rocket scientist! Was that one of yours last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A lot took hissy fits over some piddly crap that no one cares about or even remembers, so they re-reg to protect the integraty of their original username.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I closed mine because I'd gotten sick of being a dickhead for no reason online and got a rep for it.

It's nice to be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Its all anonymous so how is it being a pussy to close an account and how is it pretending to be someone else by opening another ? Wouldn't that make everyone a pussy and imposter for signing up under an anonymous name to begin with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Rodion Romanovich Raskolnikov

Yeah you do see some lad who showed up here last week talking about facekicker and such and you think to yourself what a bastard he must be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

One long drunken night maybe... You have been here for many years and just say... feck-it, time to start afresh. I'd like to know how many folk actually closed their account from being too drunk the night they closed it down. I wouldn't mind going back to my previous account at all now, but sometimes a moment of clarity persuades you to let it go and start anew.

I mean i changed the name of my account but its the same account if anyone wanted to check they could see that so not that confusing.

But i see so many people who only joined in last few months that for ''New users'' on here seem way to comfortable and chatty with everyone :p. So i do be thinking right either there just like this or they closed there old account and made a new one. I just dont see the point if your gonna act and be the same on here why do u need a whole new account to do it under ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

:pac:

There should be a sticky on closed accounts! It seems there is a new thread every few weeks wondering on the whys and hows of a poster closing their account :D

I closed mine because I'd gotten sick of being a dickhead for no reason online and got a rep for it.

It's nice to be nice.

Mine is the opposite, this boards handle is worse than my original. Ah well, will have to deal with it, or advance my skills in communication.

To be honest. The reason why I closed my original 2008 account was because I thought all the boards.ie administrators and mods were coming out to my house to sort me out, so I legged it. Realised I was hallucinating when I woke up the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Mine is the opposite, this boards handle is worse than my original. Ah well, will have to deal with it, or advance my skills in communication.

To be honest. The reason why I closed my original 2008 account was because I thought all the boards.ie administrators and mods were coming out to my house to sort me out, so I legged it. Realised I was hallucinating when I woke up the following day.

And then you realised you needed to lay off the herb for a while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Maybe I'm just asking a stupid question, or maybe there are no stupid questions, and I'm just a stupid person. I just don't see the point in closing an account.
    When you create a forum account, you project a different version than yourself - your online persona. Usually a more witty, cleverer version of yourself or in some cases - an annoying, horrible version of yourself.

Sooner or later you resent that persona - and close the account.

Not me though. I'm deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I work in an information security-related field, so I re-invent my online presence every few years so as not to accrue enough information in a single account to identify myself. You'd be amazed at what can be found out in a few google searches. Only a select few real-life friends know who I actually am and my previous accounts on Boards (and other forums).

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Ah Terry, never change.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

And then you realised you needed to lay off the herb for a while?

That question-mark at the end of your comment has me paranoid. No. I was only joking about the mods obviously. There are many many reasons why folk close their account.

I'm sure many have closed their accounts and the next day they wake up, they are sorry they did, or get the feeling of loss ;). It's just not the same with a new account. Better off thinking hard about it if a person is thinking of closing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Its all anonymous so how is it being a pussy to close an account and how is it pretending to be someone else by opening another ? Wouldn't that make everyone a pussy and imposter for signing up under an anonymous name to begin with ?
    Just to be clear, I did not call anyone a pussy.

Yeah you do see some lad who showed up here last week talking about facekicker and such and you think to yourself what a bastard he must be.
    Facekicker ruled.
    I miss him.
    tinkerbell wrote: »
    :pac:

There should be a sticky on closed accounts! It seems there is a new thread every few weeks wondering on the whys and hows of a poster closing their account :D
    Again, I haven't used boards (specifically AH) in quite some time, so I may have missed those other threads.

zAbbo wrote: »
    When you create a forum account, you project a different version than yourself - your online persona. Usually a more witty, cleverer version of yourself or in some cases - an annoying, horrible version of yourself.

Sooner or later you resent that persona - and close the account.

Not me though. I'm deadly.
    I'm deadly too.
    I stand by all the bull**** I have posted over the years. Even if it was wrong.

I work in an information security-related field, so I re-invent my online presence every few years so as not to accrue enough information in a single account to identify myself. You'd be amazed at what can be found out in a few google searches. Only a select few real-life friends know who I actually am and my previous accounts on Boards (and other forums).

I know who you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I like when people do it. It's like a little puzzle game within boards.
    "I notice this all the time in Spain..." ah, there's Legs Eleven back on now, "Lol at all the people saying.." Ah Dudess, it's only yourself again, etc...

... actually I think I may be spending far too much time on here if I can pick up on these things, prob time to close the oul account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I miss starbelgrade.

Well I will be the first to admit that I was a pussy for closing my previous account, and I was. There ye go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Here is my theory:

You get some right pricks on boards, and it seems that that is how they spend their whole lives, on boards, trying to be funny or smart or just an ass hole for the sake of it. And they have learned the art of just about staying within the "rools". And you get a minority of mods who are the same. And these 2 life forms join in unison they run the show. If you take them on they gang up and do a fair bit of bullying within the "rools", to their great satisfaction.

This is my theory: This is why people close accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Kettleson wrote: »
    Here is my theory:

You get some right pricks on boards, and it seems that that is how they spend their whole lives, on boards, trying to be funny or smart or just an ass hole for the sake of it. And they have learned the art of just about staying within the "rools". And you get a minority of mods who are the same. And these 2 life forms join in unison they run the show. If you take them on they gang up and do a fair bit of bullying within the "rools", to their great satisfaction.

This is my theory: This is why people close accounts.

It's not that bad.

I closed an account a few years ago. No real reason. Came back and lurked. Lurked for a year. Then came back to post because why not. Might as well join in. My old account had no real enemies, and no huge amount of posts. That's a common reason - boredom, moving on. I had no infractions. Made no mod enemies.

My reason for coming back is wanting to participate. Once you have posted its hard to stay out and lots of sites link to here ( or google search does).

Now which of yez is Dudeess?

Advertisement