Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed accounts?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Packrat

Boards has changed a lot since the early days, - back then there was a limited pool of people on the site, and it was possible to remember a lot of info about someone. This was ok, as most people were of a similar background.
    Today boards has a funny mix of older people and youngsters, and is an entirely different place. Better? Worse? - neither imo, just different.
    In this newer boards, I'd rather not have too much personal info on me out there, I've not met anyone in real life since this or my last username.
    Initially I disliked the close account function, but I've accepted it and used it a couple of times after abandoning earlier accounts before it existed.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

We're all pussies in our own little way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

For various reasons. I have no problem saying what my previous usernames were btw and it's been fairly obvious to some people (mainly my propensity to ****e on about Spain all the time).

Eve_Dublin was closed out of anger after a VERY heated discussion which got me very angry and I felt if Boards was having that affect on me in my personal life, then it wasn't doing me any good..

Legs.Eleven was closed with the intention of never returning and trying to break this habit and use my time more productively as I found myself getting stuck in silly online discussions that were pointless (nobody's going to change their mind on here, particularly people with polar opposite opinions to your own).

I'm back now because I found myself reading posts and wanting to thank them...and I'm probably a bit addicted, if the truth be known.

I don't want to get involved in more heated discussions as it's a waste of my time and energy. I let them get to me too much and I'm not arsed with that anymore. Better things to be doing with my time than bickering with people I don't like.

I think people close their accounts for a variety of reasons and not just out of cowardice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Because.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Kettleson wrote: »
    Here is my theory:

You get some right pricks on boards, and it seems that that is how they spend their whole lives, on boards, trying to be funny or smart or just an ass hole for the sake of it. And they have learned the art of just about staying within the "rools". And you get a minority of mods who are the same. And these 2 life forms join in unison they run the show. If you take them on they gang up and do a fair bit of bullying within the "rools", to their great satisfaction.

This is my theory: This is why people close accounts.

This is it precisely. Some sections of boards are more guilty of this than others.

And on a separate note, Terry banning people in After Hours for saying Macbeth was hilarious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

At this stage i just cant imagine ever closing this account at starting over the stress! ha.

I think as far as im concerned if people where to go threw my posts over the years they would be reading about me not an online persona but me the person and who i am.

Thats the way i want it to stay as long as im on here.

Ive no issue with people knowing me or who i am like ive nothing to hide weather its beliefs or whatever. Far as i know my name is on my account as well somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

You can say what you like about a closed account name right ?

Like with a dead celebrity ... No consequences right ?

Can't libel the closed innit ?

My previous account was Zenno. I've nothing to hide, nor did I ever have. But one drunken snowy night, I for some reason said it's time to shut the net communication down.

The next day of awakening I was fully refreshed and wanted/addicted/ to splutter commonsensical's and some informational adjectives to the population, but I only realised just at that moment that I had closed my account. I couldn't understand why I couldn't even post a link on my new account hehe, or post much at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

I had a previous account, but due to some stalkerish behaviour from someone I know in real life (who knew my boards name), I had to close it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Go away with your sensible talk Terry.

It has no place in After Hours anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

I'm probably on my sixth disposable account after having a 13k+ account once. I find this place is different, I clash more with the users that now frequent this place, it's nothing like the place it was 6-8 years ago when I enjoyed it most.

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    I'm probably on my sixth disposable account after having a 13k+ account once. I find this place is different, I clash more with the users that now frequent this place, it's nothing like the place it was 6-8 years ago when I enjoyed it most.

Im not being smart with you but why do u keep changing accounts and coming back all the time then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

strobe wrote: »
    I like when people do it. It's like a little puzzle game within boards.
    "I notice this all the time in Spain..." ah, there's Legs Eleven back on now, "Lol at all the people saying.." Ah Dudess, it's only yourself again, etc...

... actually I think I may be spending far too much time on here if I can pick up on these things, prob time to close the oul account.

Just saw this now. Hahahaha!

Im not being smart with you but why do u keep changing accounts and coming back all the time then?

Coming back?? I don't want to leave, I just change account and start posting under a new name.

Coming back?? I don't want to leave, I just change account and start posting under a new name.

I dont get this :pac:. Your the same person no matter what your screen name is right? So what difference does it make if u use a different one.

Again im just curious thats all.

Ok. Everyone give their previous account handles, and we can get deeper into the knowledge and information they behold. If you have nothing to hide or be ashamed about, then let it all flow forward into the 21st century.

I gave mine, so I expect we all get back on-track with who we once knew and talked to in a professional or nutball manner regardless.

What do ye say ? is the cacophonies in release ?. (a cacophony of deafening alarm bells).

I dont get this :pac:. Your the same person no matter what your screen name is right? So what difference does it make if u use a different one.

Again im just curious thats all.

Because as your post count rises you get less respect and often end up clashing with other posters. I let my post count rise to 1-2k then close the account and start a new one. I don't want friends on here, it had a good community like that once but that's all changed with the influx of new users

Because as your post count rises you get less respect and often end up clashing with other posters. I let my post count rise to 1-2k then close the account and start a new one. I don't want friends on here, it had a good community like that once but that's all changed with the influx of new users

So u close your account because u clash with people and u want to start fresh so there will be no one to judge you?

So u close your account because u clash with people and u want to start fresh so there will be no one to judge you?

Yes, the boards of today has more wums and trolls, unfortunately I'm the kind of poster who sometimes reacts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No it changed with all the people closing their accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I closed mine because I'd gotten sick of being a dickhead for no reason online and got a rep for it.

So....

You discovered a reason, then?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,732 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I closed my previous account due to an idiot who was a stalker, mods would ban him, then he would re-register and repeat his performance.
    It was easier to close the account to put an end to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

**** off
    Your erudition knows no bounds. Oh wait. It does. Ah well.

Closed accounts? Some do it for good reasons. Times change and so has the nature of Boards.ie. Much of it good, much of it not so good, most of it the same. So people feel that it's become too big and they don't want to be "found out" or even stalked on the place. Others do it because they can. They see their nick as a throwaway thing. They don't own their words, they barely own themselves. Others do it because they've changed and feel their old nick doesn't represent them anymore and fair enough. Some do it to avoid a siteban or other shenanigans. Some do it because they're the hysterical type who gets the hump over something and storms out. I can't win the argument/get my own way so run away. Wah. Wah. The doorslammers in real life basically. Of all the categories for me the last would be the ones best avoided in real life. Dramallamas.

PS good to see you back Terry, if even for a short stay. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Terry wrote: »

Seriously though; why close your account?
    Were the people here really that nasty?
    Did you post something really fúcking stupid? If so, why not just ask a mod to delete the post in question? They're not all dicks. Most of them are quite nice.

completely inaccurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I have the exact opposite feeling, I had an account for years, not the truly early days but 2005 and I barely used it to post (I did read) because it all seemed amazingly cliquey where as now at least its a bit broader base. This place has always been full of fighting and clashing.

Though the broader base might be a bit false, it feels sometimes that I'm posting to the same 10-20 people in every thread (and thats not deliberate!)

Yes, the boards of today has more wums and trolls, unfortunately I'm the kind of poster who sometimes reacts

I react to most things on here ive ended up in all kinds of ''debates'' in different sections of boards but **** it just who i am im not closing my account cause of it.

The way i look at it is i went threw a stage of clashing with people on here more then actually talking to them got to point where i was warned next time id be gone......

So after having a months holiday from here i taught to myself whats the point?

Im still the same i still react if i dont like something but ive tried to be the more down to earth me and interact with people talk about things etc without having to always battle.

So ya i know some people still remember certain things ive said in the past on here but sure im not trying to hide them im just getting on with it moving onto the next thread maybe showing that im not always such a prick :pac:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Your erudition knows no bounds. Oh wait. It does. Ah well.

Closed accounts? Some do it for good reasons. Times change and so has the nature of Boards.ie. Much of it good, much of it not so good, most of it the same. So people feel that it's become too big and they don't want to be "found out" or even stalked on the place. Others do it because they can. They see their nick as a throwaway thing. They don't own their words, they barely own themselves. Others do it because they've changed and feel their old nick doesn't represent them anymore and fair enough. Some do it to avoid a siteban or other shenanigans. Some do it because they're the hysterical type who gets the hump over something and storms out. I can't win the argument/get my own way so run away. Wah. Wah. The doorslammers in real life basically. Of all the categories for me the last would be the ones best avoided in real life. Dramallamas.

PS good to see you back Terry, if even for a short stay. :)

Hey Wibbs Is it possible to reclaim back your first previous account handle. I mean, if it is closed from the main server-point, can it be reactivated again ? just wondering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bitemeluis wrote: »
    completely inaccurate
    Well six of one, half dozen of the other. I myself am indeed a dick in many regards, however I have deleted quite the number of posts on someone's request. Embarrassing stuff, stuff that may lead to them being recognised in the wider world, that sorta thing. On occasion even those posts at 2 AM when people may have been "tired and emotional" and in vino veritas stercus taurorum was in play.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Well, I ain't hiding. :D

My old account was Tarzana. Why did I close it? Why not? :) It really doesn't matter, does it?

Advertisement