Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Occono wrote: »
    Sorry, I was just giving advice, I guess I was looking in the thread as I own a similar model. I didn't think blowing through the vents was a good idea though, I thought that wouldn't actually get the dust out...

it doesn't. I have to get cotton buds at mine to take the actual dust off the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Compressed air, should get the bulk of the dust out and clear the vents. You have to be aware of condensation when using compressed air. So machine off and let it evaporate etc.

Its the vents and heatsinks, you are cleaning. Fans, heatsinks always seem to have a layer of dust, even in a newish machine, probably static. If you have spillage and the dust gets damp then it might go glue like and air won't move it. Then you'd have to open it up, and clean out fans and heatsinks.

I've yet to see any laptop that was easy to get at the fans of any make. As laptops get smaller and lighter its harder to take them apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Occono wrote: »
    Mine isn't under warranty any more, I've had it two years. I'm just saying I wanted to dust the fans but they require disassembling everything else.

I did the same job on my Dell Vostro last year. Bought a few beers, the parts and lined up a tutorial on the tablet.

Took a while but actually a very easy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My old dell takes me about 20~30 mins. I've done it about 4 times over the years.

Anyway, I don't think Dells are any different to other makes. That was the point I was making.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

249 now

pretty crappy cpu for price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

braddun wrote: »
    249 now

It has been as low as 200.

Have you a link to a better machine for 200-250.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

braddun wrote: »
    249 now

unless you are playing games or editing videos this laptop is very good. Had a look at my father's one the other day zips along doing basic tasks. Looks very well and has an impressive build quality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It really depends on what you're looking for- as the others have alluded to.
    If you want a bit more performance- but aren't willing to pay a commensurate price for it- you're probably better off going with a Lenovo- they historically give very good spec/price ratios. God help you if anything goes wrong though- it'll have to be sent off to the repair centre in Germany- the one in Northern Ireland and the one in Liverpool- are both gone. Medion got the repair contract for them (where-ever they are).

If you do want a better spec'ed machine- be prepared to pay for it. This Inspiron 15 isn't going to set any performance records- but its a damn good piece of hardware at a damn good price (even at 249)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

my wife got this Dell for college work and I watched Netflix on it. I can't see anything wrong with it. I would imagine a lot of people will find this laptop perfectly capable for what they need. long battery life compared to our old laptop. before i bought i asked people's advice on what to go for and they all way over spec what you actually need. We don't do gaming etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

Can someone tell me would this laptop be ok for just browing the web, creating word documents, powerpoint and downloading movies etc off of the web??

Im thinking of getting it as a christmas present but these mixed reviews are putting me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

ccull123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can someone tell me would this laptop be ok for just browing the web, creating word documents, powerpoint and downloading movies etc off of the web??

Im thinking of getting it as a christmas present but these mixed reviews are putting me off.

It will be fine for this, it doesn't come with Office licences though, so you'll need to budget for that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It will be fine for this, it doesn't come with Office licences though, so you'll need to budget for that.
    No laptops come with office licenses unless you pay extra for them.

Just use Libreoffice to create word/excel/powerpoint docs. Libre as in free ;)

if you have good BB then you can use office online https://www.office.com/start/default.aspx
    no idea how it compares to google docs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Bumping as has dropped in price to 199 with a 7% code VPTCQ6M645SX4? giving a total of €185.07

Excellent value for basic operations. A friend uses her laptop 95% for word and for internet but does some light work on photoshop and illustrator (no videos or very large pictures), I know the processor meets the minimum requirements as dose the ram but anyone any experience using these programs on a Celeron Dual Core N2830 Processor ?
    Also anyone know about upgrading to 8gb ram if she needed to for photoshop (worth bothering with the processor?), is it 2 slots with one 4gb stick in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Also anyone know about upgrading to 8gb ram if she needed to for photoshop (worth bothering with the processor?), is it 2 slots with one 4gb stick in it?

1 slot, easy access hatch underneath.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Bumping as has dropped in price to 199 with a 7% code VPTCQ6M645SX4? giving a total of €185.07

Excellent value for basic operations. A friend uses her laptop 95% for word and for internet but does some light work on photoshop and illustrator (no videos or very large pictures), I know the processor meets the minimum requirements as dose the ram but anyone any experience using these programs on a Celeron Dual Core N2830 Processor ?

It really depends on what she is doing in photoshop to be honest. If it is simply changing the contrast, changing to black and white etc and generally basic operations then it would be fine. But if she is using it for much more I would be concerned that it could be too slow.

As for the RAM. An 8GB stick is cheap, so no big expense or hassle to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

anyone else not getting the 7% coupon to apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

eoinf wrote: »
    anyone else not getting the 7% coupon to apply?

It works

but don't forget the ? I did and it didn't work

Full coupon
    VPTCQ6M645SX4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Dymo wrote: »
    It works

but don't forget the ? I did and it didn't work

Full coupon
    VPTCQ6M645SX4?

Does this have a DVD drive. Is this Celeron chip decent

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Anyone know a laptop close to this price that has a dvd drive ?this is €125 extra to include dvd drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

It doesnt have a dvd drive, similar spec with a cd drive costs 290
    http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g50/

How often do you need a dvd drive these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

shardylan wrote: »
    Anyone know a laptop close to this price that has a dvd drive ?this is €125 extra to include dvd drive

£20 on amazon for a usb powered external drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

What do you need the drive for? Get a usb one.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

Damn you Boards, you got me again.... And my sister is getting a New Laptop, and I'm getting months of questions on Windows 8..

Thanks OP and Updaters :)

Etnies wrote: »
    What do you need the drive for? Get a usb one
    Had no idea you could buy one of these for that purpose .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Etnies wrote: »
    What do you need the drive for? Get a usb one
    Had no idea you could buy one of these for that purpose .Thanks

you can even buy a case for cheaper to make one yourself if you have an old laptop that has a working dvd drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

sweetie wrote: »

you can even buy a case for cheaper to make one yourself if you have an old laptop that has a working dvd drive.

Would you have a link to one? have a few floating about the place and was always meant to do something with them.

I would have an old laptop thats on its way out that I could use the dvd but wouldn't even know where to start .Might be as well just plugging in and save the hassle .Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Scrunch

Use code MVNQ?ZC2HX8ZLC for 10% off. Unfortunately, You will NOT then be able to use the other 7% code

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Scrunch wrote: »
    Use code MVNQ?ZC2HX8ZLC for 10% off. Unfortunately, You will NOT then be able to use the other 7% code

Tried this but it doesn't seem to be working, VPTCQ6M645SX4? for 7% is though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Scrunch wrote: »

We're sorry, the coupon code you have entered has previously been redeemed.

Advertisement