Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Nugnug21 wrote: »
    Hey I'm just wondering has anyone been asked for the name of the bank that issued your card when you are checking out this Dell laptop? Bit worried as its a bit of an unusual question for online payment.

I had to do this aswell-i thought it might have been a cookie from xhamster or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Has anyone put an SSD in one of these? Much of an improvement?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

How do you get VIP?
    I've tried using the code MVNQ?ZC2HX8ZLC but nothing happens when I put it in at the checkout?

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Found it but wouldn't let me sign up as an employer.
    Signed up instead as an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Has anyone put an SSD in one of these? Much of an improvement?

I'm curious about this too. There's not much point spending half as much again on an ssd unless it's going to bring about significant performance improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Simi wrote: »
    I'm curious about this too. There's not much point spending half as much again on an ssd unless it's going to bring about significant performance improvements.

Kingston 120GB ssd are about ~€55 on amazon.co.uk so that's what I would be looking to put in to it, could get it running well for about 235-240 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

All, I got two VIP 10% off codes when signing up. Here is my spare code someone may be able to use. BZCVL8K4QDG5B8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Simi wrote: »

SSD makes a massive difference to any machine.

If you look at the Amazon reviews of this some put a SSD in it, and apart from the speed, it gave a little more battery life with the SSD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I picked one up for my mother for €185. It'll be grand for what she uses a laptop for.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

Need a stopgap laptop so this looks ideal. 179 with the promo code. Can't go too far wrong at that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Ballycarton

Thanks for the tip folks just ordered mine for €185 definately a bargain to replace a refurbished Dell I got from Oxfam last year. It is just right for me, basic surfing, emails and typing the odd letter. Delighted to have seen this alert.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'm confused about signing up under vip,

Do you sign up under a pretend company or student?

Would this be ok for someone to use to surf the web, give presentations, write a thesis etc?

Don't stream at all or watch movies. Will happily upgrade to 8GB RAM.

As a comparison am currently using a Dell Latitude with 4GB Ram and an i52520M processor and have had no problems
    with it. I'll need a hdmi to vga cable as I do a lot of presentations

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Stheno wrote:
    As a comparison am currently using a Dell Latitude with 4GB Ram and an i52520M processor and have had no problems with it. I'll need a hdmi to vga cable as I do a lot of presentations

I would think that this is a major step back from an i5. have a look at Argos eBay outlet or hduk for decent offers on i3, i5 etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sweetie wrote: »
    I would think that this is a major step back from an i5. have a look at Argos eBay outlet or hduk for decent offers on i3, i5 etc.

Bigtime- though- you are comparing a 2011 processor to a 2014, so the difference is not as massive as it might otherwise be.......

Link here to a good comparison:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/80/Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-2520M_%28BGA%29_vs_Intel_Mobile_Celeron_N2840.html

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Anyone know if this could handle the stats programme SPSS? All I use it for is browsing, stats and word but my current laptop is about to die and funds are limited.

A lot of those CPU comparison sites don't give accurate information. You need to find a benchmark which takes into account the number of cores, cache size etc.

Passmark

N2380 1022
    i5250m 3551
    T7200 1181
    Pentium G3220 3193
    Core2Duo Q6600 2991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Got it for €185 for my sister for her 40th. Cheers op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Bigtime- though- you are comparing a 2011 processor to a 2014, so the difference is not as massive as it might otherwise be.......

Link here to a good comparison:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/80/Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-2520M_%28BGA%29_vs_Intel_Mobile_Celeron_N2840.html

That 2011 i5 is still light years ahead of this processor.

Is is a sub 200 euro laptop. You get exactly what you pay for.

Speed wise a second hand 150 euro laptop would be faster. This would be about on-par with a mid-range laptop from 2007 if that helps. This laptop is quite literally bottom of the rung.

Here you are getting a brand new, un-used, full sized laptop with modern connectivity and peace of mind warranty for 200 euro...I honestly don't know what people are expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

179.10. Bought for father in law for putting on his boyle sports bets!

Left factory already. How long were people waiting on it when it left the factory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

brightkane wrote: »
    Left factory already. How long were people waiting on it when it left the factory?

Mine shipped on the 15th. It's now in the DPD hub in Athlone.
    I'll have it tomorrow, 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

How would it compare to a dell latitude x300 circa. 2003., i still use everyday ??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Price is gone back up to €279, not worth that price even with the discount.

bmm wrote: »
    How would it compare to a dell latitude x300 circa. 2003., i still use everyday ??!!

Compare the benchmarks of the CPU's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Zardoz

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Price is gone back up to €279, not worth that price even with the discount.

Back down to 199 now

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I ordered mine on Saturday and it's in transit since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

cant et coupon to work keep getting this message

Coupons Entered
    The following coupons have been entered but require additional information or do not meet eligibility requirements. Click "View Details" link(s) for more information.

VIP Club Discount

anyway the link tells you feck all

Ordered Sunday. Due to be delivered tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

brightkane wrote: »
    Ordered Sunday. Due to be delivered tomorrow

Same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

efb wrote: »
    Same

Ditto.

Anyone know if you can change the delivery address? I just found out it's being delivered by DPD, who pick the most awkward delivery times i.e. when everyone is at work! I thought there was a way of doing it on the DPD site, but I can't find the option. I guess I'll give them a call in the morning.

Advertisement