Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Ordered Monday, due tomorrow. That's surprisingly quick. For once something good awaiting me when I arrive in work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭shuvly

Mine was due tomorrow but got it today. Very happy with it...streamed Liverpool game no bother, so so far so good....

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cyberboy78

Any advice on how to get 10% off code to work? Have tried loads of times and keep getting nowhere.

Cyberboy78 wrote: »
    Any advice on how to get 10% off code to work? Have tried loads of times and keep getting nowhere.

What are you stuck on? Did you get two codes emailed to you after registering as a business?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I registered as an employee and got code emailed no problem.
    If you registered before, just use a new email address.

• Advertisement

I have registered on publicsector.groupscheme.com and have gotten a code no problem, the code is not accepted at the checkout on the dell site, it refers to a dell vip page where there are no instructions as to how to apply the code. Has anyone done it sucessfully?

Finally got it sorted just there, didn't realise you had to register with the vip club also. Sorry for wasting any time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Mine arrived this Morning. Can't wait to get home and put it through it's paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dan2010

Hi Guys
    Am I right in thinking this offer (179.10) has expired?? I don't know where to find the coupon :'(

dan2010 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Am I right in thinking this offer (179.10) has expired?? I don't know where to find the coupon :'(

Click the link on post 126...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

Just ordered this for a relative.

Is its webcam good enough for Skype?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

got one sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

My mother's one arrived this morning. I got it all set up and it's working away grand. She's more than happy with it. It beats that netbook she's been using for the past 3 years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

yeah, unboxed one of these tonight. initially it was slow , real slow :(, but i uninstalled the McAffee which seemed to be continuously hogging the cpu.

335955.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

bmm wrote: »
    yeah, unboxed one of these tonight. initially it was slow , real slow :(, but i uninstalled the McAffee which seemed to be continuously hogging the cpu.

335955.gif
    I don't know why they bother installing it TBH. Will probably install the windows 10 technical preview on mine at the weekend after I backup windows 8.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/23169/335955.gif

Did you run the McAfee Removal Tool(MCPR)?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Tomtata

Got one today, well impressed for €179 - uninstalled the McAfee and other Dell stuff, Thank OP

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Did you run the McAfee Removal Tool(MCPR)?

No i didn't, there may be remnants left behind but at least there are no McAffee services hogging the cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Ordered one for my mam last night. Should be an improvement over the 10+ year old Dell Dimension Pentium 4! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Can someone advise Me on what you've been taking off these aside from mcafee and what have you been putting on ? I know the basics so no computer talk please 😠.appreciate the help .thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I have a spare SSD which i was thinking of putting into this.

If i was to install windows from scratch could i use the key that comes with the laptop or what way does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

eoinf wrote: »
    I have a spare SSD which i was thinking of putting into this.

If i was to install windows from scratch could i use the key that comes with the laptop or what way does that work?

Yes, just make sure you use the retail/oem .iso and not a vlk .iso.

http://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

My mother got the insurance money back for a water-damaged laptop today. I go to the site for the €199 Inspiron, and no option to buy. Looks like the new models in the Inspiron 3000-series have been released and are nearly twice the price, ex VAT. Dang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well they have a better Inspiron 14 3000 for €249.

Pros
    Very Efficient (uses 10 watts or less)
    4gb ram and a free slot for another .
    Light 2.1kg , Well constructed.
    Very Quiet, never gets hot.
    Great value at 179euro
    Fine for browsing & MS Office etc.

Cons
    Slow if bloatware (McAffee etc) not removed.
    Windows 8 is a pain.
    Screen is TN and glossy , colors look faded .
    Mousepad is buggy. (hard & accurate tapping required)
    Keyboard keys are too far apart, although keys are responsive.

Overall , a great bargain, thanks OP.

shardylan wrote: »
    Can someone advise Me on what you've been taking off these aside from mcafee and what have you been putting on ? I know the basics so no computer talk please 😠.appreciate the help .thanks

There is plenty of memory (4gb) to cope with the other apps. Dell apps do not seem to slow the cpu.

You would need Avast security/ free version for Anti-virus. Firefox is a better browser than Internet Explorer .

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

There is plenty of memory (4gb) to cope with the other apps. Dell apps do not seem to slow the cpu.

You would need Avast security/ free version for Anti-virus. Firefox is a better browser than Internet Explorer .

Thanks .
    Can I get a normal desktop ?not liking the side screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

shardylan wrote: »
    Thanks .
    Can I get a normal desktop ?not liking the side screen

Install Classic Shell to give it a Windows 7 style Start Button and Desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭stezie

These must be sold out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

stezie wrote: »
    These must be sold out?

Likely they are. Although I think someone mentioned a while ago about the offer going and coming back.

Advertisement