Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 15 laptop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Plascebo wrote: »
    Not knowing much about pc's/laptops I was working on the presupposition that more processing power=better minecraft play.

Working with that, there is a Lenovo laptop in powercity with 2.41 ghz (and dvd drive lol) for €299, with intel hd integrated graphics (whatever that means).

Toms Hardware do a monthly graphics card value round up. They always have a hierarchy chart and have started including CPU-integrated graphics.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

You can match the laptop's processor to is integrated graphics unit here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

(Probably looking at the 7th generation section at this stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't think its in that list. Search for N2830

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Celeron_microprocessors

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Etnies wrote: »
    Will no doubt meet some of you at some stage when something fails on them in record time ^^

Not necessarily. I've a 15 year old 15.4" Dell going strong here- and my main computer is a 10 year old Acer 8970G (with a gigantic 18.4" screen).......

They're normally a lot more reliable than you give them credit for.......... (providing you take reasonable care of them)........

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

What's the chances of this dell dropping down to less than €230 in the next week or two? Probably none?! €230 was my limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What's the chances of this dell dropping down to less than €230 in the next week or two? Probably none?! €230 was my limit.

Try this code at checkout 8G4?L1XCFKM7CV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭the_freaky_one

In the same boat myself..
    kaizersoze wrote: »

This code didn't seem to work for me..

Thanks for the code- it doesn't work for me though. Any other suggestions?

It may be account specific.

Go here http://publicsector.groupscheme.com/ and choose RoI and register.

Search for Dell & click on VIP Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭samdeman

this laptop is less than €200 on dell factory outlet site

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭ccull123

samdeman wrote: »

Thanks for that. Would u have a link? Does it have to be delivered via parcel motel?

• Advertisement

samdeman wrote: »

I can't find it.
    Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

Can I ask how this laptop stacks up against my current one?

Hp pavilion dm4 beats edition.
    i5
    8gig ram
    Etc.

It has gotten really slow lately and I've to keep opening it up to clean the fan. It gets very very hot and it can't even run something like Google chrome without the fan going absolutely nuts inside it.

Would this be an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

i5
    8gig ram
    Etc.

It has gotten really slow lately and I've to keep opening it up to clean the fan. It gets very very hot and it can't even run something like Google chrome without the fan going absolutely nuts inside it.

You need to blow out the inside as it is full of dust i had the same problem but now i could live it on all day & it stays luke warm. My fan used to come on after 10 min & stay on i used a car tyre compressor ( cig lighter ones ) to blow it out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

i5
    8gig ram
    Etc.

Update all you drivers first, if you're already taking the fan out are you removing the heatsink too? Clean off old thermal paste and reapply fresh paste , tighting the screws in order. If it's still going to 100% replace the fan.

Your own laptop is a lot better than this.

homingbird wrote: »
    You need to blow out the inside as it is full of dust i had the same problem but now i could live it on all day & it stays luke warm. My fan used to come on after 10 min & stay on i used a car tyre compressor ( cig lighter ones ) to blow it out .

I'd second this.
    I bring my laptop with me to the local garage once every 3-4 months- and use the air hose on it. You'd be startled at how much crap you can blow out of it.

Might be a better buy to head to halfords & buy your own as you wont be under any time pressure with people waiting to use pump & also handy if you have a flat tyre on a dark wet night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'd second this.
    I bring my laptop with me to the local garage once every 3-4 months- and use the air hose on it. You'd be startled at how much crap you can blow out of it.
    Or ? you could buy a tin of compressed air and use that, by the way what psi does your laptop take? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Careful when running a compressor to clean out the laptop fans. Be sure to prevent the fan from spinning (use a paperclip to jam it ) as the spinning fan becomes a generator and could induce a voltage spike to the motherboard.

Cig lighter ones are the safest as they only blow as strong as a can of air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I can't find it.
    Do you have a link?

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&puid=771f2102

It's 135£ but that's before vat and delivery.

It comes down to 235 euro for a refurb, or 182£ incl vat and delivery to the UK. 10 pounds less for a 'scratch & dent' one. Not worth the cost difference to new for me. With parcel motel charges included you're only saving around 10 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

7% off code = WCCQJ85NXDPKF0

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

What's the likelihood of this dropping again in the near future?

And Is there a knack to getting the 10% off code to work. Registered on that publicjobs thing for the code but won't take it off on the Dell site.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

barneyrub wrote: »
    What's the likelihood of this dropping again in the near future?

And Is there a knack to getting the 10% off code to work. Registered on that publicjobs thing for the code but won't take it off on the Dell site.

Use this link to make your purchase, if the code is good, it should work.

http://www.dell.ie/vip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Getting to the fan on a Dell laptop, or at least mine, feels like bloody murder. I would need to open up and remove EVERYTHING to get to it, going by a youtube video.

Occono wrote: »
    Getting to the fan on a Dell laptop, or at least mine, feels like bloody murder. I would need to open up and remove EVERYTHING to get to it, going by a youtube video.

Huh? Why would you be wanting to go rooting at a machine still under warranty?

Huh? Why would you be wanting to go rooting at a machine still under warranty?

Mine isn't under warranty any more, I've had it two years. I'm just saying I wanted to dust the fans but they require disassembling everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

icom wrote: »
    Use this link to make your purchase, if the code is good, it should work.

http://www.dell.ie/vip
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Occono wrote: »

If you're isn't this laptop, its completely irrelevant to the thread. A lot of laptops are hard to disassemble. Which is why people blow compressed air though the vents.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    If you're isn't this laptop, its completely irrelevant to the thread. A lot of laptops are hard to disassemble. Which is why people blow compressed air though the vents.

Sorry, I was just giving advice, I guess I was looking in the thread as I own a similar model. I didn't think blowing through the vents was a good idea though, I thought that wouldn't actually get the dust out...

Advertisement