Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pick up 5c off the street?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

BarryD wrote: »
    How does the rest of it go?

'See a penny, leave it down and all that day you'll wear a frown'

Something like that anyway :)

Find a penny, let it lay then bad luck you'll have all day.

I think that's it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm genuinely shocked at how many people would pick up 1 cent.
    It's a useless denomination of currency and should be gotten rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Is 1 cent coin even worth the calories you spend bending over to pick it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cormac... wrote: »

Then they'd all hoop and holler
    For he never took the dollar
    He'd take the shiny quarter
    Smile and walk away

- Boxcar Willy

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

I wouldnt bother with copper coins. But Ive often been lucky enough to pick up a euro outside lidl or tesco for the trolley. Ive done my fair share of strength training in there with hauling around big baskets of groceries because i fogot me euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Cormac... wrote: »

I'm actually shocked at how many people would walk past free money.
    Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

I actually lost a couple of small denomination coins, so if anyone sees any, if they could hang onto them for me..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Yes I would pick up coins, copper and all.

Last year I saved all my change in two big jars. When I counted it up I had over €1000. Those pennies add up, people!

You can use this for a double knee replacement :P :D

Master of the Universe

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm actually shocked at how many people would walk past free money.
    Very strange.

Put it in perspective though. You'd need to find 100 1c coins to be able to buy something measly like a can of coke. They're next to valueless.

Unless you spend your life on your hands and knees looking for 1c coins, it's pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Some people would pick up small change, some wouldn't. People from opposite side of fence can't understand each other motives.

Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

o1s1n wrote: »
    Put it in perspective though. You'd need to find 100 1c coins to be able to buy something measly like a can of coke. They're next to valueless.

Unless you spend your life on your hands and knees looking for 1c coins, it's pointless.

I'd expect to be getting more than that for spending time on my hands and knees :eek:

Well, €1 to me is 2 portions of Aldi's super 6 fruit and veg.
    So this week, it would be a bag of potatoes and a bag of carrots - soup for 3 lunches.

My perspective seems to differ from yours in that respect.

Master of the Universe

Well, €1 to me is 2 portions of Aldi's super 6 fruit and veg.
    So this week, it would be a bag of potatoes and a bag of carrots - soup for 3 lunches.

My perspective seems to differ from yours in that respect.

You're missing my point though. If your street was littered with thousands of 1c coins, great, then that'd make sense to scoop them all up.

I'm fairly sure the street isn't though, so how long would it take to gather 100 1c coins? Too long for it to make the slightest bit of difference to your spending power I reckon.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I'd expect to be getting more than that for spending time on my hands and knees :eek:

:pac::pac::pac:

You're missing my point though. If your street was littered with thousands of 1c coins, great, then that'd make sense to scoop them all up.

I'm fairly sure the street isn't though, so how long would it take to gather 100 1c coins? Too long for it to make the slightest bit of difference to your spending power I reckon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92781743&postcount=25

It does not need thousands of 1c coins to make a difference.

Even if you pick them up, collect them and throw them in the charity box next time you're in the shops, it will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I'm not rich enough to ignore free money. I don't go looking for it but if I see it, I'll pick it up.

Master of the Universe

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92781743&postcount=25

It does not need thousands of 1c coins to make a difference.

Even if you pick them up, collect them and throw them in the charity box next time you're in the shops, it will make a difference.

I can honestly say I can't remember being in a shop where a copper coin made a difference. And if it did happen in the past, it's such a low regularity that again, it wouldn't warrant picking low monetary value coins up off the ground. The benefit to effort ratio isn't worth it.

If you leave the money on the ground you're actually allowing homeless people to pick it up. Which is probably of greater benefit than a charity box as it skips all the charity administration wages :pac:

I can honestly say I can't remember being in a shop where a copper coin made a difference. And if it did happen in the past, it's such a low regularity that again, it wouldn't warrant picking low monetary value coins up off the ground. The benefit to effort ratio isn't worth it.

If you leave the money on the ground you're actually allowing homeless people to pick it up. Which is probably of greater benefit than a charity box as it skips all the charity administration wages :pac:

Or it will just get swept up the next time the streets are cleaned and ends up in landfill.

I'd rather see it being used.

Master of the Universe

Or it will just get swept up the next time the streets are cleaned and ends up in landfill.

I'd rather see it being used.

Here's an interesting (and a bit tongue in cheek) article about the benefits/losses incurred when picking up a penny. Worth a read :)

https://what-if.xkcd.com/22/

I enjoyed the maths of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Money is precious to many so I would pick up a 1c coin but definitely not always...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Personally, no less than 50c, and even then I probably wouldn't bother unless it was a euro. If I have 10 or 20 cent in my pocket, sometimes I'll take it out and throw it on the ground, my logic is that 20 cent is nothing to me, if a kid finds it, they can go down to the shop and buy themselves a little treat(like some jellies), or even better, if a homeless person finds it, they're 20c closer to getting some food for the day.(or their next hit :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I don't bend over for anything less than €200:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If it wasn't for all the lost coins over the ages - museums would have no old coin displays ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Master of the Universe

I was getting off the 145 today and found 2 euro on the ground. Couldn't help but think of this thread. :pac:

scudzilla wrote: »

Dawwww.... well I tried, someone has always thought of these things before me :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

scudzilla wrote: »

How do you remember threads you started four year ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Galwaygirl1982

Would pick up 1 cent - "find a penny and pick it up and all that day you will have good luck" and all that jazz !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd pick up €1, nothing less. I hate coppers, if its 5c change or less im getting back in the shop, I'll tell them stick it in the poor box. If its like 1c back I'm gone without saying anything before they put the money in the till.

Ive often thrown coppers in the bin too, they are totally worthless and I don't have the time to be putting them in jars to save.

I would consider myself very resourceful with money too.

Advertisement