Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you pick up 5c off the street?

Options
  • 27-10-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭

Basically this occurred to me the other day that different people will have different cut offs coin wise for what they would bother picking up off the street. Like for me it would have to be at least 20c but one person I asked said a Euro would be the smallest amount they'd bother picking up. They looked at me like I was filthy peasant for suggesting to pick up 20c. Same way I'd probably look at someone who said they would pick up 1c. Anyway.

Whats the smallest denomination of euro coins you would pick up off the street?

Whats the smallest coin you would pick up? 424 votes

1 cent
    0% 0 votes
    2 cent
    25% 106 votes
    5 cent
    0% 4 votes
    10 cent
    3% 13 votes
    20 cent
    16% 69 votes
    50 cent
    7% 33 votes
    1 Euro
    27% 118 votes
    2 Euro
    19% 81 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

50c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭Mech1

Depends on how many of them there are I suppose.

Big pile of 20's im in there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Where's all this money on the street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

No cut off for me. I be all delighted with myself if I find a 1c coin. It still surprises me how little value people place on money, sure, they complain about taxes and charges, but when it comes down to being frugal, careful, and generally not wasting it on crap, they are fcuking brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I wouldn't bend my knee for less than a wad of 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I never pick up money on the street, if I want to or its a large amount like a fiver or so.

Don't want people thinking I'm a povvo :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Pick it up and spit on it for good luck :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

No cut off for me. I be all delighted with myself if I find a 1c coin. It still surprises me how little value people place on money, sure, they complain about taxes and charges, but when it comes down to being frugal, careful, and generally not wasting it on crap, they are fcuking brutal.

Ah but it depends. I live in Dublin, there are homeless people everywhere. I couldn't justify bending over to pick up a 1c or 2c or 5c coin, because I have a steady income and it's not going to mean that much to me - not as much as it would mean to someone else.

I mean, I wouldn't dump coppers in the bin, or leave them behind as change in supermarkets (as I often see people doing.) But, if I saw coppers on the street, I wouldn't feel the need to take them for myself. I can manage without them.

On the other hand, if I saw 50c or €1 or €2, I'd feel OK about picking it up, because if I don't, someone else will very soon - and chances are it'll more likely be someone like me, rather than someone who really really needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Not a chance. If there was no mud, or visible dirt on or around it I would probably go for a euro. No less.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

I wouldn't pick a 5c off my bedroom floor much less the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No way.

I'd tell my personal assistant to pick it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I saw €2 on the street coming back from a night out- I put in a charity box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

A euro or two euro is all I'd pick up. I've seen people pick up copper coins and putting them in the bin :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

If the coin on the ground isn't worth picking up then take one out of your pocket and lob it down beside it. Dilemma solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Wow look at all the 1-centers, you crazy cheap b*stards :pac:

There isn't a thing on this island you can buy for 1c, it's a totally unnecessary denomination and getting rid of it all together would most likely save the country a lot of money.

John Green on the US penny:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77C47XYm_3c

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Free money is free money, I remember once I picked up about €5 worth of coins in 2 weeks back when I was in school. Ah, the Celtic Tiger when lads would lob 20c coins at each other instead of wads of paper :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Bill Gates only bends the knee if he sees $30,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

auldgranny wrote: »
    I wouldn't pick a 5c off my bedroom floor much less the street.

I hate people with your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Id pick up a 1c piece if I was walking on my own. I probably wouldn't spend the effort for less than 10 if I was with people. All my spare change goes into a jar which is counted every so often. It all adds up you would be very surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

That's some coin

Fudge You wrote: »
    I hate people with your attitude.

I won't sleep tonight with the upset of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

auldgranny wrote: »
    I won't sleep tonight with the upset of that.

Hate you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Wow look at all the 1-centers, you crazy cheap b*stards :pac:

There isn't a thing on this island you can buy for 1c, it's a totally unnecessary denomination and getting rid of it all together would most likely save the country a lot of money.

John Green on the US penny:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77C47XYm_3c

That said, I was in town a while back looking to buy something. It turned out I was 5c short off the price, and I didn't have my card with me.

I thought about driving back home, getting the 5c and driving back and figured it was stupid. I walked around for a few minutes down the main street and found a total of 10c. Well enough to pay for what I wanted to buy.

No, 1c will not buy you much. But it does add up.

Fudge You wrote: »
    Hate you.

I think you need to calm down. Hating an attitude is one thing but hating a person based on a flippant post on a not-to-serious thread seems OTT to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Yes, i'd pick up coppers off the street.

I often save them, keep them aside and then bring them to the supermarket with me for when i'm buying something specific - lob them all into the self service machine and pay the remainder of the balance using the debit card. Handy way to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I remember being stuck in my grannies bored for what seemed like an eternity when one of my cousins glued 50p to the path outside. Almost everyone passing by tried to pick it up and their attempts relieved the boredom.

Similarly when I was a teenager I worked in a bar and we had a 10 pound note which was ripped in half, which we'd leave half sticking out from under the payphone. Was funny to see people looking around to see who was watching and trying to sneak it into their pocket before realising what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

If you pick up 100 1c coins, guess what you have? A euro and probably Ebola too. Moral of this quite short story is, it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Cormac... wrote: »
    They looked at me like I was filthy peasant for suggesting to pick up 20c.

That made me laugh for some reason. :D

Probably a fiver. But I'd never notice it anyway as I tend to be totally oblivious of my surroundings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Does he ask for its hand in marriage?

Advertisement