Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juice diet detox

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Somebody on this forum provided a gem of advice before. If you cannot eat the fruit and veg you would put into a smoothie in one sitting, then you probably shouldn't drink it.

I eat plenty fruit and lots of veg.

I eat fruit after training because of the sugar content.

When I consumed a lot more carbs and also ate a lot more fruit, and drank juice to. Why, because I was chasing sugar highs.

Eat it whole, fibre is wonderful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ford2600 wrote: »
    Eat it whole, fibre is wonderful stuff

It grants you a well-deserved timeout to rest yourself and catch up on the latest news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

ardle1 wrote: »
    Can't believe some people on here are condemning juicing!?
    Juicing has to be the only way to go... Not only is it very good for your over-all health, it also suppresses an over active appetite(keeps hunger at bay).. And with all the benefits of nearly every essential vitamin, along with maintaining a healthy eating routine in small doses, and 'some' exercise.. Well enuff said :)

But surely eating the fruit / veg whole is a far better option, no? A lot of the work your body does to break down these is largely done by juicing.

Not wholly against it, just eating the thing whole is the better option, by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

But surely eating the fruit / veg whole is a far better option, no? A lot of the work your body does to break down these is largely done by juicing.

Not wholly against it, just eating the thing whole is the better option, by far.

I almost totally agree with that but if you make up a juice you could use a serious amount of veg.
    1 apple
    1 beetroot
    handful of spinach
    lump of ginger
    couple of carrots
    stick of celery
    half a lemon.

all that on top of the whole veg you have adds a fair amount of goodness to your diet. its a quick way to add extra veg to your diet but as said above you need the fiber in whole veg that is mostly taken out when you juice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I almost totally agree with that but if you make up a juice you could use a serious amount of veg.
    1 apple
    1 beetroot
    handful of spinach
    lump of ginger
    couple of carrots
    stick of celery
    half a lemon.

all that on top of the whole veg you have adds a fair amount of goodness to your diet. its a quick way to add extra veg to your diet but as said above you need the fiber in whole veg that is mostly taken out when you juice

do you think we were made up to eat that amount of veg ? nope we werent

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »

Based on what exactly?

I'm not vegetarian but my understanding is that we are perfectly capable of living healthy lives exclusively on veg.

So yes. Yes we are made to eat that much veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Based on what exactly?

I'm not vegetarian but my understanding is that we are perfectly capable of living healthy lives exclusively on veg.

So yes. Yes we are made to eat that much veg.

have you tried living exclusively on veg ?

have you tried living exclusively on veg ?

My last post has 3 lines.

Pay special attention to line 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

That doesn't really look like much veg to me, why can't somebody eat that much?

That doesn't really look like much veg to me, why can't somebody eat that much?

In fairness it's not that much. not to mention the fact that most of the fiber is removed in the pulp so I'm not really sure what point mickman is making

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LETS GET NAKED

Maybe he'd like to retract it then but I was wondering why 3 servings of veg, an apple and half a lemon is too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mellor wrote: »
    Yes I do.
    Which has more fibre whole apples or apple juice?
    How much fibre is left when the pulp is remove?

[wipte]
    Also, how long have you been actually Juicing for?? I'm guessing not very long judging by your lack of knowledge on the subject ..........
    I don't juice. I think it's a poor way to eat fruit and veg.
    So far nothing you've said disproves anything I've said.[/QUOTE]

When an apple is Juiced all of the Soluble Fibre remains in the Juice, the pulp contains the Insoluble Fibre ........ Insoluble Fibre cannot penetrate the intestinal wall.
    Soluble Fibre form a gel, which slows down digestion which delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight. Slower stomach emptying also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which help control diabetes. Soluble Fibre also helps lower LDL (“bad”) blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.
    Insoluble Fibre pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact .........

You don't Juice?? Your ill-informed posts make sense now .......... since Juicing (actually Juicing myself as opposed to guessing what it does and does not do for you health-wise) I've lost weight, maintained my optimal weight, have the energy of a teenager, look and feel better that I did 15 years ago, cured myself of a serious digestive disorder meaning I am now medication free even though I was once told by my GP that I would need to take medication everyday for the rest of my life and all of this through Juicing ......... there's the evidence/proof of the health benefits of Juicing :)

When you drink fresh-made Juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.
    Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee. Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.
    Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years. This limits your body's ability to absorb all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables. Juicing will help to "pre-digest" them for you, so you will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.
    Juicing allows you to consume a healthier amount of fruits and vegetables in an efficient manner. Virtually every health authority recommends that we get six to eight servings of vegetables and fruits per day and very few of us actually get that. Juicing is an easy way to virtually guarantee that you will reach your daily target for vegetables.
    You can add a wider variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Many people eat the same vegetables, salads or fruits every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food.
    Plus, it limits the number of different phytochemicals in your diet, as each vegetable and fruit will offer unique benefits. With juicing, you can Juice a wide variety of vegetables that you may not normally enjoy eating whole.
    Additionally, Juicing can help promote weight loss. In one study, adults who drank at least 250mls of vegetable and fruit Juice as part of a diet lost four pounds over 12 weeks, while those who followed the same diet but did not drink the Juice lost only one pound. The fruit and vegetable Juice drinkers also significantly increased their intake of vitamin C and potassium, while decreasing their overall carbohydrate intake.
    Juicing boosts your immune system by supercharging it with concentrated phytochemicals. Raw juice also contains biophotonic light energy, which can help revitalize your body.
    Juicing increases your energy. When your body has an abundance of the nutrients it needs, and your pH is optimally balanced, you feel energized. Since it can be utilized by your body immediately, those of us who Juice feel the "kick" of energy almost instantly.
    Juicing supports your brain health. People who drink Juices (fruit and vegetable) more than three times per week, compared to less than once a week, were 76 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease, according to Medical research.

MadDog76 wrote: »
    When you drink fresh-made Juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.
    Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee. Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.
    Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years. This limits your body's ability to absorb all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables. Juicing will help to "pre-digest" them for you, so you will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.
    Juicing allows you to consume a healthier amount of fruits and vegetables in an efficient manner. Virtually every health authority recommends that we get six to eight servings of vegetables and fruits per day and very few of us actually get that. Juicing is an easy way to virtually guarantee that you will reach your daily target for vegetables.
    You can add a wider variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Many people eat the same vegetables, salads or fruits every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food.
    Plus, it limits the number of different phytochemicals in your diet, as each vegetable and fruit will offer unique benefits. With juicing, you can Juice a wide variety of vegetables that you may not normally enjoy eating whole.
    Additionally, Juicing can help promote weight loss. In one study, adults who drank at least 250mls of vegetable and fruit Juice as part of a diet lost four pounds over 12 weeks, while those who followed the same diet but did not drink the Juice lost only one pound. The fruit and vegetable Juice drinkers also significantly increased their intake of vitamin C and potassium, while decreasing their overall carbohydrate intake.
    Juicing boosts your immune system by supercharging it with concentrated phytochemicals. Raw juice also contains biophotonic light energy, which can help revitalize your body.
    Juicing increases your energy. When your body has an abundance of the nutrients it needs, and your pH is optimally balanced, you feel energized. Since it can be utilized by your body immediately, those of us who Juice feel the "kick" of energy almost instantly.
    Juicing supports your brain health. People who drink Juices (fruit and vegetable) more than three times per week, compared to less than once a week, were 76 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease, according to Medical research.

I'm fine with the above post. It is worth acknowledging that the bit in bold applies to sugar too. Juicing a lot of sugary fruit/veg can result in all the normal negative effects of ingesting sugar.

I'm fine with the above post. It is worth acknowledging that the bit in bold applies to sugar too. Juicing a lot of sugary fruit/veg can result in all the normal negative effects of ingesting sugar.

It's also worth noting that fruit is not 100% "sugar", fruit Juice is naturally well-balanced ....... some posters here seem to believe that a glass of fruit Juice equals a glass of "sugar" ............ it doesn't

It's also worth noting that fruit is not 100% "sugar", fruit Juice is naturally well-balanced ....... some posters here seem to believe that a glass of fruit Juice equals a glass of "sugar" ............ it doesn't

Glad you agree.

I don't think anyone here said the bit I underlined. Maybe they did and I missed it.

Fruit such as apples and oranges are pretty high in sugar you know (it's a big part of the reason they are so sweet). Juicing is cool and all but you gotta watch the sugar intake.

You don't Juice?? Your ill-informed posts make sense now

I don't smoke but I somehow know what smoking does and doesn't do to you, physiologically.

Drinking juice and whatever other changes you have made have worked for you. Great. Still doesn't make juice a magic potion.

I'll just keep eating the fruit and veg and take my chances.

Glad you agree.

I don't think anyone here said the bit I underlined. Maybe they did and I missed it.

Fruit such as apples and oranges are pretty high in sugar you know (it's a big part of the reason they are so sweet). Juicing is cool and all but you gotta watch the sugar intake.

Actually apple Juice contain poly-phenols which lower the rate of glucose absorption from our digestive tract which lessens the sugar load on our bloodstream resulting in better blood sugar regulation in our body.

Orange Juice contains citrus limonoids, beta carotene, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, thiamine, vitamin b6 and ,of course, plenty of vitamin c ........... not bad for one little fruit.

I don't smoke but I somehow know what smoking does and doesn't do to you, physiologically.

Drinking juice and whatever other changes you have made have worked for you. Great. Still doesn't make juice a magic potion.

I'll just keep eating the fruit and veg and take my chances.

Smoking and Juicing ........ they related in some way???

Anyway I do smoke (on and off these days) so I actually know how smoking effects you physically and mentally ......... you can't tell a smoker anything about smoking that he/she doesn't already know and know better than a non-smoker.

I Juice so I actually know how Juicing effects you physically and mentally .......... you can't tell a Juicer anything about Juicing that he/she doesn't already know and know better than a non-Juicer.

Smoking and Juicing ........ they related in some way???

Anyway I do smoke (on and off these days) so I actually know how smoking effects you physically and mentally ......... you can't tell a smoker anything about smoking that he/she doesn't already know and know better than a non-smoker.

I Juice so I actually know how Juicing effects you physically and mentally .......... you can't tell a Juicer anything about Juicing that he/she doesn't already know and know better than a non-Juicer.

They're related in the sense that you can do neither and not be ill-informed.

You know how juicing affects you physically and mentally. You can't tell someone how it will affect them.

And overall, I find the benefits of eating the fruit and veg more beneficial for me.

• Advertisement

They're related in the sense that you can do neither and not be ill-informed.

You know how juicing affects you physically and mentally. You can't tell someone how it will affect them.

And overall, I find the benefits of eating the fruit and veg more beneficial for me.

If they are a human being, like myself, then I can tell them what is likely to happen to them through Juicing ........ I'd rather they just tried it for themselves though to really experience the health benefits.

How can you say you're diet is more beneficial to you than Juicing would be when, by your own admission, you haven't actually done it??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Maddog you are coming up with some outrageous stuff.

Eat the fruit and eat the veg. Have an odd juice if you can't do this but don't replace meals with juice.

http://sciencequestionswithchris.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/is-fruit-juice-healthier-than-whole-fruit/

Actually apple Juice contain poly-phenols which lower the rate of glucose absorption from our digestive tract which lessens the sugar load on our bloodstream resulting in better blood sugar regulation in our body.

Orange Juice contains citrus limonoids, beta carotene, folic acid, magnesium, potassium, thiamine, vitamin b6 and ,of course, plenty of vitamin c ........... not bad for one little fruit.

You have a peculiar way of almost totally ignoring the post you're quoting. Anyway thanks for the info on poly-phenols. I read a couple of journal articles around and it seems they can have an effect on glucose uptake but I got lost when they talked about sodium dependent and non-sodium dependent environments.

The second bit about oranges is true and also totally irrelevant to how much sugar they have.

As for the nauseating nonsense about how there is nothing a non-smoker can tell a smoker or nothing a non-juicer can tell a juicer. Why do we bother doing research on anything then? Why not just rely on human experience?

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Maddog you are coming up with some outrageous stuff.

Eat the fruit and eat the veg. Have an odd juice if you can't do this but don't replace meals with juice.

http://sciencequestionswithchris.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/is-fruit-juice-healthier-than-whole-fruit/

Ah Bruno .......... haven't spoken to you since ........ well since you were banned :) Are you actually telling me what to do!?! :D

Don't think I'll bother conversing with you here, it didn't work out too well for you last time ........ see ya! ;)

If they are a human being, like myself, then I can tell them what is likely to happen to them through Juicing ........ I'd rather they just tried it for themselves though to really experience the health benefits.

How can you say you're diet is more beneficial to you than Juicing would be when, by your own admission, you haven't actually done it??? :confused:

I have a brain. That's why I can say it.

You have a peculiar way of almost totally ignoring the post you're quoting. Anyway thanks for the info on poly-phenols. I read a couple of journal articles around and it seems they can have an effect on glucose uptake but I got lost when they talked about sodium dependent and non-sodium dependent environments.

The second bit about oranges is true and also totally irrelevant to how much sugar they have.

As for the nauseating nonsense about how there is nothing a non-smoker can tell a smoker or nothing a non-juicer can tell a juicer. Why do we bother doing research on anything then? Why not just rely on human experience?

I think it is relevant to mention what else is an orange if you we are going to talk about an orange ........ after all it would be biased to say "an orange has sugar in it" and leave it at that wouldn't it?

I didn't bring up the "smoking analogy", that was another poster, I simply responded .........

I would certainly trust human experience over research to be honest ........ in any case isn't a lot of research actually based on human experience???

I have a brain. That's why I can say it.

Just remember you're also speaking to someone with a brain ........ someone who is far more knowledgeable about Juicing than you are ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭SeaDaily

So you can't know anything about anything unless you yourself do that thing?

Okay, so a respiratory consultant can't hope to know anything about the damage smoking does to your lungs unless he smokes.
    An oncologist can't hope to know anything about tumours unless he himself has a tumour. A virologist can't hope to know anything unless he has the virus in question. That's the level of logic you are using here and points to you being un-educated more so than anything else.

I think it is relevant to mention what else is an orange if you we are going to talk about an orange ........ after all it would be biased to say "an orange has sugar in it" and leave it at that wouldn't it?

I didn't bring up the "smoking analogy", that was another poster, I simply responded .........

I would certainly trust human experience over research to be honest ........ in any case isn't a lot of research actually based on human experience???

Have it your way maddog. The sugar in juicing doesn't count as its nautral and if we want to crack cold fusion or cure cancer we'll just send the researchers to you for an interview. That should be all we need.

Good night and good luck

OP dont mind doing a 3 day detox. It's very hard to find research suggesting there is any truth to the 'detoxing' that can be done in 3 days. Its basically just a calorie restricted diet for 3 days. If you want to 'detox' before Xmas, just eat more fruit and veg.

• Advertisement

SeaDaily wrote: »
    So you can't know anything about anything unless you yourself do that thing?

Okay, so a respiratory consultant can't hope to know anything about the damage smoking does to your lungs unless he smokes.
    An oncologist can't hope to know anything about tumours unless he himself has a tumour. A virologist can't hope to know anything unless he has the virus in question. That's the level of logic you are using here and points to you being un-educated more so than anything else.

Ah ............ Bruno's mate!! :D

I didn't say that, what I said was ......... ah forget it, don't think I'll bother conversing with you either ......... been there, done that :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement