Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juice diet detox

Options
  • 24-10-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi hope alls well I want to do a detox before the Xmas period I want to do the juice one for 3 days
    So I want to buy the juices pre made what shops can I buy them I'm in South Dublin
    Then going forward I might juice myself I've a blender can I use that or I need proper juicer if so what's good thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

A juice detox is a marketing gimmick. What do you hope to achieve? What happens after the three days? Just eat real unprocessed food and continue to eat this way after the three days. If you want to include one juice use mostly veg. Blender for smoothies. Juicer for juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Maybe ask for advice on whatever it is you're trying to achieve through drinking chopped up fruit and veg, someone might be able to show you a route that works.

Be prepared though, one of the downfalls of things that work is that you can't just throw money at it to make it needless for you to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Woodbrook80

Thanks for the responses
    My main aim is to slowly go sugar free and eat lot healthier it's going to be hard love choclate want to change my taste buds first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Thanks for the responses
    My main aim is to slowly go sugar free and eat lot healthier it's going to be hard love choclate want to change my taste buds first :)

Fruit contains a lot of sugar. Try 70% chocolate and then move up to 85%. You will only eat couple of squares.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

SQ2 wrote: »
    Only 300 blips for the privilege of getting to drink nothing but Tropicana for a month? Sweet deal, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Hi hope alls well I want to do a detox before the Xmas period I want to do the juice one for 3 days
    So I want to buy the juices pre made what shops can I buy them I'm in South Dublin
    Then going forward I might juice myself I've a blender can I use that or I need proper juicer if so what's good thanks

To be honest there's no comparison between freshly extracted vegetable/fruit juice and anything you can buy pre-made so you will need a Juicer ......... any of the Philips Centrifugal Juicers are highly recommended.

Also don't worry about the amount of "sugar" intake from fruit juices as it's all natural unrefined and unprocessed sugar ......... what I mean is you can't compare the "sugar" in an apple to the sugar in a doughnut!!

If you Juice properly it will change your life ........... good luck!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

MadDog76 wrote: »
    To be honest there's no comparison between freshly extracted vegetable/fruit juice and anything you can buy pre-made so you will need a Juicer ......... any of the Philips Centrifugal Juicers are highly recommended.

Also don't worry about the amount of "sugar" intake from fruit juices as it's all natural unrefined and unprocessed sugar ......... what I mean is you can't compare the "sugar" in an apple to the sugar in a doughnut!!

If you Juice properly it will change your life ........... good luck!! ;)

Sugar is sugar as far as the body is concerned no?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

You can buy juices in supervalu deansgrange think they're puregreen, 4-5euro each. I have stupidly tried the juice detox it is a gimmick. I am the healthiest I have ever been simply by lifting heavy weights & eating clean unprocessed foods. Real food should have only one ingredient! I would occasionally buy one of these juices but simply as a substitute to a healthy lifestyle, drank with lunch etc

adox wrote: »

yes

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »

No, absolutely not ......... that's like saying Filet Mignon and a Big Mac are the same thing, they are simply not.

No, absolutely not ......... that's like saying Filet Mignon and a Big Mac are the same thing, they are simply not.

That's a false analogy.

That's a false analogy.

As false as saying that sugar is sugar regardless whether it's white refined processed sugar or natural sugars/fructose found in fruits and vegetables??? :rolleyes:

As false as saying that sugar is sugar regardless whether it's white refined processed sugar or natural sugars/fructose found in fruits and vegetables??? :rolleyes:

By 'white refined processed sugar' I presume you're using an educated term for table sugar or sucrose?
    :rolleyes:

Fructose found in fruit is broken down to glucose in the liver. Sucrose is made up of 1 part glucose and 1 part fructose, once the bond between these two sugars are broken, the fructose is broken down to glucose in the liver and treated the same as glucose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

yup, sugar is sugar.

The only reason sugar from fruit is seen as better than table sugar is your body can process table sugar very quickly. While it must break the fruit down first in order to process sugar, so this process delivers the sugar from fruit to your system slower.

Juicing fruit basically breaks the fruit down for you, removing the fiber before you eat/drink it meaning that it is processed faster by your body. Pretty much nullifying the benefit of eating the fruit in the first place.

Dont juice an apple, eat one. you'll be better off for it.

By 'white refined processed sugar' I presume you're using an educated term for table sugar or sucrose?

Fructose found in fruit is broken down to glucose in the liver. Sucrose is made up of 1 part glucose and 1 part fructose, once the bond between these two sugars are broken, the fructose is broken down to glucose in the liver and treated the same as glucose.

Oh ...... well .......... I did not know that ........... so I guess I'll just start drinking cans of Coke and eating Mars Bars ......... I'm sure I'll feel as great & healthy as I do Juicing, sure it's the "same" thing at the end of the day ......... thanks for educating me :rolleyes:

Ever since Dr Robert Atkins wrote that ALL sugars are the same and Dukan and others have since followed, many people are of the very wrong opinion that the sugar in freshly extracted fruit and vegetable juices are somehow the same as the sugars you find in a can of Coke.
    The problem with common sense is that it isn’t that common and I fear where sugar is concerned this is statement is ringing true for many.
    Often we don’t need science, but simply our own intuition and common sense. With this in mind let me ask you a question ....... If you are addicted to refined sugars and have a massive sugar craving would an apple cut it for you?
    Would an apple hit those sugar buttons for you? No.
    Why? Because if you haven’t heard it already ....... THE SUGAR IN AN APPLE IS NOT THE SAME AS THE SUGAR IN A DONUT!!!
    If it were we would have Easter Eggs made of fruit and children and adults would be just as happy, but wouldn’t have to feel guilty or fat afterwards. But they wouldn’t be happy because in the same way an apple wouldn’t satisfy a smokers need for nicotine an apple won’t satisfy a sugar addicts need for refined sugars!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

an apple won’t satisfy a sugar addicts need for refined sugars!!!!

Will an apple satisfy a juicer's need for apple juice?

Will an apple satisfy a juicer's need for apple juice?

Ah, probably seemed like a clever question when you first wrote it but it's a flawed question ....... Juicers are not addicted to Juice ...... we don't Juice because we need to, we Juice because we want to .......... that's the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar, it's not addictive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ever since Dr Robert Atkins wrote that ALL sugars are the same and Dukan and others have since followed, many people are of the very wrong opinion that the sugar in freshly extracted fruit and vegetable juices are somehow the same as the sugars you find in a can of Coke.
    The problem with common sense is that it isn’t that common and I fear where sugar is concerned this is statement is ringing true for many.
    Often we don’t need science, but simply our own intuition and common sense. With this in mind let me ask you a question ....... If you are addicted to refined sugars and have a massive sugar craving would an apple cut it for you?
    Why? Because if you haven’t heard it already ....... THE SUGAR IN AN APPLE IS NOT THE SAME AS THE SUGAR IN A DONUT!!!
    If it were we would have Easter Eggs made of fruit and children and adults would be just as happy, but wouldn’t have to feel guilty or fat afterwards. But they wouldn’t be happy because in the same way an apple wouldn’t satisfy a smokers need for nicotine an apple won’t satisfy a sugar addicts need for refined sugars!!!!
    Eating whole fruit has benefits beyond the sugar, such as fibre and vitamins. The idea that it is not the same as a doughnut proves nothing.
    Your whole argument is deeply flawed.

1 apple has about 10g of sugar, this is a small amount compared to a doughnut, the nutritional profiles are remotely similar. Why would it satisfy a massive craving. A can of coke has a lot more sugar than that, comparing them is retarded also.
    But when you drink the juice of multiple apples, you are getting much more sugar. You can’t compare each 1 apple to drinking the juice of 5 apples.
    When you drink your juices, do you get sugar cravings still?

The whole idea that these are “natural sugars” is fairly meaningless. The sugar you buy in a white bag in the supermarket is natural sugar. If comes of sugar beet, a vegetable. Drinking the juice of these beets every day is no different to taking in sugar mixed with water.
    Other fruits has different sugars, such as fructose (used in Coke btw).
    Do you think it would be ok for a child to eat spoonfuls of traditional jam (made with fruit and juice only), because its sugar from fruit.

• Advertisement

Oh ...... well .......... I did not know that ........... so I guess I'll just start drinking cans of Coke and eating Mars Bars ......... I'm sure I'll feel as great & healthy as I do Juicing, sure it's the "same" thing at the end of the day ......... thanks for educating me :rolleyes:

Another straw man argument, I never said that cans of coke/mars/'refined sugar are the same as fruit or juice. The argument was that the body treats sugar as sugar regardless of where it comes from, which is true but is something you also disagree with.

The fact that sugar from an apple and sugar from table sugar ultimately become the same thing in the human body doesn't mean that table sugar is as good for someone as an apple.

Read that again, it might save someone having to explain it to you again.

The sugars in coke and apples and table sugar end up treated the same in the body, the nutrient composition of course is wildly different.

It's funny how you point out that common sense isn't common then say that all you need is intuition and common sense....

Mellor wrote: »
    Eating whole fruit has benefits beyond the sugar, such as fibre and vitamins. The idea that it is not the same as a doughnut proves nothing.
    Your whole argument is deeply flawed.

Fruit/Vegetable Juice also contains Vitamins and Soluble Fibre, just a lot more of it .......

1 apple has about 10g of sugar, this is a small amount compared to a doughnut, the nutritional profiles are remotely similar. Why would it satisfy a massive craving. A can of coke has a lot more sugar than that, comparing them is retarded also.
    But when you drink the juice of multiple apples, you are getting much more sugar. You can’t compare each 1 apple to drinking the juice of 5 apples.
    When you drink your juices, do you get sugar cravings still?

No, never get cravings for sugar since I've stopped ingesting refined processed sugars .....

The whole idea that these are “natural sugars” is fairly meaningless. The sugar you buy in a white bag in the supermarket is natural sugar. If comes of sugar beet, a vegetable. Drinking the juice of these beets every day is no different to taking in sugar mixed with water.

The original sugar beet is natural ........ but then it is refined & processed to go into the bag in the supermarket and is no longer a natural product.

Other fruits has different sugars, such as fructose (used in Coke btw).

The fructose in Coke has been processed ........

Do you think it would be ok for a child to eat spoonfuls of traditional jam (made with fruit and juice only), because its sugar from fruit.

Jam made exclusively from fruit and freshly extracted Juice? Sounds good to me .......

Fruit/Vegetable Juice also contains Vitamins and Soluble Fibre, just a lot more of it .......
    There's very little fibre in juice,
    No, never get cravings for sugar since I've stopped ingesting refined processed sugars .....
    Or maybe because of your massive sugar intake ;)
    The original sugar beet is natural ........ but then it is refined & processed to go into the bag in the supermarket and is no longer a natural product.
    Thanks for explaining what refined means :rolleyes:
    Nobody is disputing that there is extra processing that goes into the table sugar. Nor are we disputing that there are extra vitamins and sucj in whole fruit.
    We are saying that nutritionally, and chemically the sugar in each is the same. Same calories, same effect on hormones, same effect on blood sugar.

Your only reply is "its natural", and you can't explain how its different.
    The fructose in Coke has been processed ........
    I know. Did I say it wasn't?
    It's also process from vegtables, corn in paticular.
    Jam made exclusively from fruit and freshly extracted Juice? Sounds good to me .......
    Jam is basically fruit thats been process to removed the water and increase the sugar content. Its probably 60-80% sugar.
    Anyone that thinks its a good idea for a child to sit there eating a jam from the jar hasn't the slightest understanding of nutrition.

Just because something is natural doesn't mean its good for you. Tobacco can be pick right off the plant, dried and smoked. It'll still kill you.

Mellor wrote: »
    There's very little fibre in juice,

Or maybe because of your massive sugar intake ;)

Thanks for explaining what refined means :rolleyes:
    Nobody is disputing that there is extra processing that goes into the table sugar. Nor are we disputing that there are extra vitamins and sucj in whole fruit.
    We are saying that nutritionally, and chemically the sugar in each is the same. Same calories, same effect on hormones, same effect on blood sugar.

Your only reply is "its natural", and you can't explain how its different.

I know. Did I say it wasn't?
    It's also process from vegtables, corn in paticular.

Jam is basically fruit thats been process to removed the water and increase the sugar content. Its probably 60-80% sugar.
    Anyone that thinks its a good idea for a child to sit there eating a jam from the jar hasn't the slightest understanding of nutrition.

Just because something is natural doesn't mean its good for you. Tobacco can be pick right off the plant, dried and smoked. It'll still kill you.

Do you know the difference between Soluble and Insoluble Fibre?

Also, how long have you been actually Juicing for?? I'm guessing not very long judging by your lack of knowledge on the subject ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ah, probably seemed like a clever question when you first wrote it but it's a flawed question ....... Juicers are not addicted to Juice ...... we don't Juice because we need to, we Juice because we want to .......... that's the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar, it's not addictive :)

That's a straw man so big it belongs on Summerisle.

Do you know the difference between Soluble and Insoluble Fibre?
    Yes I do.
    Which has more fibre whole apples or apple juice?
    How much fibre is left when the pulp is remove?

[wipte]
    Also, how long have you been actually Juicing for?? I'm guessing not very long judging by your lack of knowledge on the subject ..........[/quote]
    I don't juice. I think it's a poor way to eat fruit and veg.
    So far nothing you've said disproves anything I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Can't believe some people on here are condemning juicing!?
    Juicing has to be the only way to go... Not only is it very good for your over-all health, it also suppresses an over active appetite(keeps hunger at bay).. And with all the benefits of nearly every essential vitamin, along with maintaining a healthy eating routine in small doses, and 'some' exercise.. Well enuff said :)

ardle1 wrote: »
    And with all the benefits of nearly every essential vitamin,
    This is the same kind of nonsense that people selling juice detox's spout.
    It only highlights a complete lack of knowledge, or the fact that are lying to sell something.

Some nutritional gaps.
    Little to no fat, protein, calcium, B vits, D vits.

Plus vitamins A, E, D and K are fat souble. Which means they won’t be absorbed or store on a very low fat diet.
    There’s a good reason why fruititarian diets are advised against for children and teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,017 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is really poor advice.

Keep an eye on the amount of sugar in fruits in particular and even some vegetables. Carrots are higher in sugar than you would think.

When you eat those foods whole, they take time to break down cell be cell so the sugar is released over time. When you juice them you do a lot of that work in the machine so you can get a sugar spike if you use too many sugary fruits or veg.

I enjoy a juice from time to time and i'm not against it by any means. however if you search around you will find that the body detoxes it's self all the time and it's really good at it. As the other poster said, jut eat more fruit and veg daily and you will get much more benefit than 3 days of a juice detox.

MadDog

It is fairly well accepted now that white flour in white bread and pasta are contributing to type 2 diabetes. While wheat it' self would be fairly safe to eat whole, turning it to flour does a lot of the digestion beforehand, meaning the body can use it all at once rather than having to break it down slowly.

The process of turning wheat to flour is similar to juicing in this case as it makes the sugar available all at once rather than having to break it down over time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Somebody on this forum provided a gem of advice before. If you cannot eat the fruit and veg you would put into a smoothie in one sitting, then you probably shouldn't drink it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement