Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juice diet detox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

MadDog76 wrote: »
    When you drink fresh-made Juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.
    Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee. Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.
    Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years. This limits your body's ability to absorb all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables. Juicing will help to "pre-digest" them for you, so you will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.
    Juicing allows you to consume a healthier amount of fruits and vegetables in an efficient manner. Virtually every health authority recommends that we get six to eight servings of vegetables and fruits per day and very few of us actually get that. Juicing is an easy way to virtually guarantee that you will reach your daily target for vegetables.
    You can add a wider variety of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Many people eat the same vegetables, salads or fruits every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food.
    Plus, it limits the number of different phytochemicals in your diet, as each vegetable and fruit will offer unique benefits. With juicing, you can Juice a wide variety of vegetables that you may not normally enjoy eating whole.
    Additionally, Juicing can help promote weight loss. In one study, adults who drank at least 250mls of vegetable and fruit Juice as part of a diet lost four pounds over 12 weeks, while those who followed the same diet but did not drink the Juice lost only one pound. The fruit and vegetable Juice drinkers also significantly increased their intake of vitamin C and potassium, while decreasing their overall carbohydrate intake.
    Juicing boosts your immune system by supercharging it with concentrated phytochemicals. Raw juice also contains biophotonic light energy, which can help revitalize your body.
    Juicing increases your energy. When your body has an abundance of the nutrients it needs, and your pH is optimally balanced, you feel energized. Since it can be utilized by your body immediately, those of us who Juice feel the "kick" of energy almost instantly.
    Juicing supports your brain health. People who drink Juices (fruit and vegetable) more than three times per week, compared to less than once a week, were 76 percent less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease, according to Medical research.

you mention biophotonic light energy?
    What exactly does that mean in dietary terms? The digestive system doesn't receive any light source?

I've been turning my diet around to improve my health and the advice I've been following is to eat plenty of vegetables and not too much fruit (have it as a treat) and avoid juicing because the insoluble fibre is also important to gut health. Also the calories are on the high side apart from the sugar. That is because a glass of juice contains the sugar of multiple fruits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

if the OP is still around....

forget the idea of 'juice detox' or any other gimmick. If you want to detox i.e. cleanse your body, then your liver is your friend. To give your liver a hand drink lots of water, 3 to 4 litres a day. Combine with staying away from processed food and alcohol for a few days.
    I've never once advised anyone to avoid 'processed food', it's a meaningless term. If you wash a food it's processed, if you package food it's processed. Certain foods contain toxins that can only be eliminated through cooking/heating/sterilised - all forms of processing, telling people not to eat processed food is the height of stupidity.

I started eating whole foods, I'm cured.

Eh ......... it was Paddywiggum who advised not eating "processed foods" .......... he just called you stupid Paddy, you gonna take that?? :)

You still don't understand the sugar discussion. The point was that the sugar in fruits is treated the same as table sugar, not that table sugar is as good as fruit.,

I don't misunderstand you ........... I just don't agree with you

You didn't supply the evidence. The researchers supplied the evidence. You're using words you don't understand and I'm kind of embarrassed for you.

The researchers supplied the evidence ......... which I then gave to you .......... is that the best you can come up with? :rolleyes:

Iv juiced ... not as a way of eliminating meals but I have juiced ... nada difference here and I did it for a while in order to increase my F/G intake .... juicing doesn't satiate my appetite ... So, in essence, my intake increased and my solid food intake stayed the same as it didnt fill me.

I much prefer to chew and sit and enjoy me F/G and all other food. That makes me satisfied.

It's utterly ridiculous to claim that one persons experience stands for more people. Food and satiety and nutrition as a science is in its infancy and different people prefer and react and thrive om different things in different manners.

Oh ... and it's pretty much FACT (you know - PROVEN, not anecdotal) that one of the many things the liver and kidney do are 'detox' (hate that word - made up to make people buy into things like in order to feel good and holistic - fantastic marketing and branding efforts). Juicing doesn't help detox. Yes, go ahead and juice veg - it's good but its not better than eating it whole.

I'm not talking about Juicing in the way you have Juiced ........ it's more of a lifestyle for me not just dipping my toe in the water so to speak.

Just to clarify, I never said Juice "detoxes" the body ............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Eh ......... it was Paddywiggum who advised not eating "processed foods" .......... he just called you stupid Paddy, you gonna take that?? :)

A bit immature.

Are you going to answer my previous question?

Should someone drink fruit/vegetable juice or avoid processed food?

Oh, speaking of stupid;
    When you drink fresh-made Juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.

Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee.

Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.

Juicing helps you absorb all the nutrients from the fruit and vegetables. This is important because most of us have impaired digestion as a result of making less-than-optimal food choices over many years. This limits your body's ability to absorb all the nutrients from the fruits and vegetables.

Juicing will help to "pre-digest" them for you, so you will receive most of the nutrition, rather than having it go down the toilet.

Many people eat the same vegetables, salads or fruits every day. This violates the principle of regular food rotation and increases your chance of developing an allergy to a certain food.

Additionally, Juicing can help promote weight loss. In one study, adults who drank at least 250mls of vegetable and fruit Juice as part of a diet lost four pounds over 12 weeks, while those who followed the same diet but did not drink the Juice lost only one pound. The fruit and vegetable Juice drinkers also significantly increased their intake of vitamin C and potassium, while decreasing their overall carbohydrate intake.

Juicing boosts your immune system by supercharging it with concentrated phytochemicals.

Raw juice also contains biophotonic light energy, which can help revitalize your body.

Juicing increases your energy. When your body has an abundance of the nutrients it needs, and your pH is optimally balanced, you feel energized.

Since it can be utilized by your body immediately, those of us who Juice feel the "kick" of energy almost instantly.

Every line here is stupid, pseudo-scientific, Dr. Oz & Oprah worthy claims made to con gullible folk.

I don't misunderstand you ........... I just don't agree with you

You mean you don't agree with biology. What reasons do you have to believe that fructose isn't converted to glucose in the liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The researchers supplied the evidence ......... which I then gave to you .......... is that the best you can come up with? :rolleyes:

Yeah you really aren't keeping up with the discussion at this point. It was about how you think your anecdotes are evidence while back in reality the actual evidence comes from the research... never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

aside from cherry picking some web MD articles do you have any sources for these fruit claims.

All I can seem to find are articles stating there is no measured benefit to juicing fruit instead of eating it.

The only benefit, it seems, is that the sugars and other nutrients are absorbed faster. Personally I don't see that as a benefit as long as they are absorbed. Since my body is processing food 24 hours a day and storing and utilising fats proteins vitamins sugars on a constant basis the rate of their absorption doesn't seem to matter, if its an hour or 3 hours. until it is something urgent, such as immediately after exercise to revive energy stores, or if im on the brink of starvation I don't think it makes much difference. however, as stated a lot of the vitamins we need are fat soluble and even though they are digested fast they aren't used or stored by the body unless they are taken with fats. So cooking or serving with some healthy fats will actually be more beneficial.

Drawbacks however, included: increased sugar intake, over consumption of calories, insulin spikes, lack of protein and fibre leading to increased appetite. as well as the inconvenience of purchasing expensive juicers and cleaning of them. Incorrect cleaning, according to the Food and Drug Administration, can, lead to foodborne illness. All raw food can harbor pathogens that cause vomiting, diarrhea, and in worst case scenarios conditions like E.coli, hepatitis, and even kidney failure.

The main reason the OP wanted to start juicing was for a detox, and since our body is a self-regulating system it is more than capable of removing the toxins from even the most abused bodies in a matter of days the detox benefit is entirely fabricated. No-one has ever shown that your body needs assistance in detoxing itself.

if you want ot juice for 3 days well you're an adult you can make decisions yourself, personally I think its a bit of a hassle and expense and the time and effort will be better served actually eating some veg. By all means juice if you want some juice, but don't try to convince yourself that it will turn your life around just cos some quack who wants to sell an eBook tells you so.

Drawbacks however, included: increased sugar intake, over consumption of calories, insulin spikes, lack of protein and fibre leading to increased appetite. as well as the inconvenience of purchasing expensive juicers and cleaning of them. Incorrect cleaning, according to the Food and Drug Administration, can, lead to foodborne illness. All raw food can harbor pathogens that cause vomiting, diarrhea, and in worst case scenarios conditions like E.coli, hepatitis, and even kidney failure.

Many nutrients are in found in the skin of fruits which aren't present in the juice.

• Advertisement

Many nutrients are in found in the skin of fruits which aren't present in the juice.

and I thought that was just chicken. im gonna have to stop juicing my chicken now arent I .

you mention biophotonic light energy?
    What exactly does that mean in dietary terms? The digestive system doesn't receive any light source?

I've been turning my diet around to improve my health and the advice I've been following is to eat plenty of vegetables and not too much fruit (have it as a treat) and avoid juicing because the insoluble fibre is also important to gut health. Also the calories are on the high side apart from the sugar. That is because a glass of juice contains the sugar of multiple fruits.

Raw Juice contains biophotonic light energy which revitalizes your body. Fresh, raw Juice is a "live food" full of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and enzymes.

The light of "living Juice" has actually been seen with Kirlian photography.

and I thought that was just chicken. im gonna have to stop juicing my chicken now arent I .

It's a give and take really. I eat half my chicken with the skin for the nutrients and juice the other half for the biophotonic light energy.

A bit immature.

Are you going to answer my previous question?

Should someone drink fruit/vegetable juice or avoid processed food?

Oh, speaking of stupid;

Every line here is stupid, pseudo-scientific, Dr. Oz & Oprah worthy claims made to con gullible folk.

Yes

Yeah you really aren't keeping up with the discussion at this point. It was about how you think your anecdotes are evidence while back in reality the actual evidence comes from the research... never mind

The actual evidence is the results Juicers, such as myself, have achieved ........ but that's not good enough for you :rolleyes:

aside from cherry picking some web MD articles do you have any sources for these fruit claims.

All I can seem to find are articles stating there is no measured benefit to juicing fruit instead of eating it.

The only benefit, it seems, is that the sugars and other nutrients are absorbed faster. Personally I don't see that as a benefit as long as they are absorbed. Since my body is processing food 24 hours a day and storing and utilising fats proteins vitamins sugars on a constant basis the rate of their absorption doesn't seem to matter, if its an hour or 3 hours. until it is something urgent, such as immediately after exercise to revive energy stores, or if im on the brink of starvation I don't think it makes much difference. however, as stated a lot of the vitamins we need are fat soluble and even though they are digested fast they aren't used or stored by the body unless they are taken with fats. So cooking or serving with some healthy fats will actually be more beneficial.

The main reason the OP wanted to start juicing was for a detox, and since our body is a self-regulating system it is more than capable of removing the toxins from even the most abused bodies in a matter of days the detox benefit is entirely fabricated. No-one has ever shown that your body needs assistance in detoxing itself.

if you want ot juice for 3 days well you're an adult you can make decisions yourself, personally I think its a bit of a hassle and expense and the time and effort will be better served actually eating some veg. By all means juice if you want some juice, but don't try to convince yourself that it will turn your life around just cos some quack who wants to sell an eBook tells you so.

So by that logic we can eat and drink whatever we like and as much as we like with no side-effects because the body needs no assistance in detoxing itself ......... :confused:

I'll have a burger and Coke then please!! :D

I don't peel my fruits and vegetables before Juicing them ..........

The actual evidence is the results Juicers, such as myself, have achieved ........ but that's not good enough for you :rolleyes:

What about my diabetes from juicing?

That's not evidence, it's anecdote.

So by that logic we can eat and drink whatever we like and as much as we like with no side-effects because the body needs no assistance in detoxing itself ......... :confused:

Pretty much. What toxins are in coke that need to be detoxed?

You'll have to give an example of a toxin and a definition of 'detox' or at least the physiological processes involved in it.

What about my diabetes from juicing?

That's not evidence, it's anecdote.

As I've said the evidence is not good enough for you ....... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Raw Juice contains biophotonic light energy which revitalizes your body. Fresh, raw Juice is a "live food" full of vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals and enzymes.

The light of "living Juice" has actually been seen with Kirlian photography.
    I still don't get it. Are they claiming that the juice emits light in the gut and how would that help the body?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No your say-so is not enough. Not when we have the scientific method to actually test claims.

But enough about that I want to hear more about biophotonic light energy and Kirlian photography

No your say-so is not enough. Not when we have the scientific method to actually test claims.

But enough about that I want to hear more about biophotonic light energy and Kirlian photography

Go do your own research then!! :D

that's not detoxing. a person can quite easily have a burger and coke in their diet with absolutely 0 side effects. The problems only occur when burger and coke make up the bulk of their diet as a burger and coke will provide excessive amounts of calories and very little nutrients.

either way, any toxins will be processed by your liver quite quickly thats what it is for.

this has turned into the internet equivalent of a child with his finger in his ears screaming "lalalalalalala"

Pretty much. What toxins are in coke that need to be detoxed?

You'll have to give an example of a toxin and a definition of 'detox' or at least the physiological processes involved in it.

:confused: So why does obesity, type 2 diabetes (your favourite) and heart disease exist???

Surely not because of an unhealthy diet .......... after all the body "detoxes" itself with no assistance from us! :D

that's not detoxing. a person can quite easily have a burger and coke in their diet with absolutely 0 side effects. The problems only occur when burger and coke make up the bulk of their diet as a burger and coke will provide excessive amounts of calories and very little nutrients.

either way, any toxins will be processed by your liver quite quickly thats what it is for.

But if the body detoxes itself so quickly then why can't burgers and Coke make up the bulk of our diet with no consequences??? :confused:

But if the body detoxes itself so quickly then why can't burgers and Coke make up the bulk of our diet with no consequences??? :confused:

because burgers and coke are not toxins

and a burger and coke is too vague of a description to make any reasonable conclusion from. Do you mean a burger from mcdonalds?

or do you mean a homemade burger with plenty of veg and salad and 150 ml of coca cola?

You could quite easily live a very long and healthy life on a diet based on burgers if your description is vague enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What if I juice the burger, does it have magic light then?

• Advertisement

because burgers and coke are not toxins

and a burger and coke is too vague of a description to make any reasonable conclusion from. Do you mean a burger from mcdonalds?

or do you mean a homemade burger with plenty of veg and salad and 150 ml of coca cola?

You could quite easily live a very long and healthy life on a diet based on burgers if your description is vague enough

Let's say 5 Big Macs and 3 litres of Coke a day ........ no side effect from this diet???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement