Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman killed, 7 injured in garda chase outside Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Basterds, rip. Poor woman's family. I hope those scumbags get locked up for 20 years.

However I would like to know why it's seen as a necessity to chase youths on a busy motorway. Is not far more convenient to just follow them with a chopper of sorts to avoid what happened.

It's also like to know if the garda who stopped them were qualified to pursue at high speed s

'A chopper of sorts' might be otherwise engaged or useless because it won't be on the scene in time before they disappear into some sh1thole estate. Ground units would still be required to pursue them regardless in case they ditch the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

However I would like to know why it's seen as a necessity to chase youths on a busy motorway. Is not far more convenient to just follow them with a chopper of sorts to avoid what happened.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

****in weird one.

Not really polo rear ended the victims car which in turn apparently hit a garda car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Gatling wrote: »
    Not really polo rear ended the victims car which in turn apparently hit a garda car

And that doesn't seem out of the ordinary to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

We need to crack down seriously on this sort of behaviour. None of these little scrotes have any fear because they'll most likely walk away with a slap on the wrist when all is said and done. A woman who was innocently going about her day is now dead because of the actions of the 5 people in that car. No doubt a family somewhere not too far away from me right now has had their hearts ripped out because of the stupid reckless f*ckery of those arseholes.

• Advertisement

And that doesn't seem out of the ordinary to you?

The Gardai were attempting to box the Polo in, the victim was apparently attempting to merge and ended up in the middle of the manouvere between the lead Garda car and the Polo. It's hardly a job for Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Any scumbag that says in court "nuthin to do" and puts the words "your honour" at the end should get an automatic hanging by the balls and 15 year jail sentence for being a thick.

rip to the lady involved.

totally agree with your sentiment. But they will probably get a suspended sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

Blay wrote: »
    The Gardai were attempting to box the Polo in, the victim's car apparently merged right into the middle of the manouvere between the lead Garda car and the Polo.

I would wonder was it not possible for the Gardai in pursuit to communicate with the local cops in Kildare to close off the slip road from the town as they passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Rip to the poor woman.

But I have to ask, why were the guards making the boxing manoeuvre beside a slipway while another driver was in the middle?

That's what the papers are saying. I think when the Ombudsmans investigation is completed it will show that wasn't the case.

The Gardai were attempting to box the Polo in, the victim's car apparently merged right into the middle of the manouvere between the lead Garda car and the Polo. It's hardly a job for Sherlock.

A slipway is the wrong area to make a boxing manoeuvre unless the junction has been closed to incoming traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

anncoates wrote: »
    This

Open to correction on this but was there not some sort of kibosh put on the guards re engaging in high speed chases with joyriders in the last few years?
    I think it came about after there had been several accidents/ deaths of the people who were being pursued and then IIRC a guard died?

A slipway is the wrong area to make a boxing manoeuvre unless the junction has been closed to incoming traffic.

There may have been factors which forced their hand and it had to be done there..we don't know.

Any scumbag that says in court "nuthin to do" and puts the words "your honour" at the end should get an automatic hanging by the balls and 15 year jail sentence for being a thick.

rip to the lady involved.

totally agree with your sentiment. But they will probably get a suspended sentence.

shuffles88 wrote: »
    I would wonder was it not possible for the Gardai in pursuit to communicate with the local cops in Kildare to close off the slip road from the town as they passed.

Depending on when they picked up the Polo they may not have had time to or they may have radioed ahead for it to be done but as with anything there is a response time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Basterds, rip. Poor woman's family. I hope those scumbags get locked up for 20 years.

It's also like to know if the garda who stopped them were qualified to pursue at high speed s

RIP to the woman.

Yes, and if possible have a load of spike strips ahead to puncture the tires, but I know this isn't always possible because of slip roads, side streets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Where are you all getting 7 people from including guards, any news source so far says 5 people taken to hospital, doesn't specify what people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

shuffles88 wrote: »
    We need to crack down seriously on this sort of behaviour. None of these little scrotes have any fear because they'll most likely walk away with a slap on the wrist when all is said and done. A woman who was innocently going about her day is now dead because of the actions of the 5 people in that car. No doubt a family somewhere not too far away from me right now has had their hearts ripped out because of the stupid reckless f*ckery of those arseholes.

I would love to see long sentences for morons like these but you and I both know that some other moron will stand up in the Dail or such, claiming that these morons are victims themselves. Feel so sorry for the family and friends of that lady.

There are lots of small country roads off the motorway in that area with no lights etc, so it might have been deemed safer to try and stop them on the motorway. Also, if they went onto the country roads, they could have inflicted more damage and the Gardai would have been blamed for not trying to stop them sooner, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You sir are a total d@@khead with a comment like that
    Yes we have that figured out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is not far more convenient to just follow them with a chopper of sorts to avoid what happened.
    Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was hoping this would be a good news story, i.e. one of the scum bags dead, but no an innocent woman going about her own business died... well Ill be hoping for some good news...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭LeBash

There is nobody here or that i know personally that would be outraged if these guys got 10 years with no chance of early release, so i can never understand why the government and the entire legal system doesnt follow through.

Id love a legislation passed that said if there was a robbery murder man slaughter etc to a person and it was by a convicted ciminal who is out early or on release that the person or family could sue the state for not protecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Karma will come to those bastards for-sure, or something/someone else will.

The justice system in this country is fecked, as I've been harping on about for years is in a complete reversal... 'meaning' it qualifies the best wishes of criminals instead of the victims. Something is going to give to get those arsehole judges to take serious the need for proper sentences.

That could have been my mother, or your mother of which died, it's fcuked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The Gardai were attempting to box the Polo in, the victim was apparently attempting to merge and ended up in the middle of the manouvere between the lead Garda car and the Polo. It's hardly a job for Sherlock.

I didnt need it explained but thanks anyway.

The point I was making was that its strange for someone to get caught up in the middle of such a maneuver.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RIP to the poor woman that lost her life, I feel sorry for the Garda that was driving the car as well.

I'm sure when this story appears in my FB newsfeed tomorrow the comments from the buddies of the tossers in the Polo will be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

R.I.P to the women killed.
    In my honest opinion they only people to blame were those being chased.
    If the Gardai didn't chase them or only used a chopper and they crashed people would say they should have followed them\forced them to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

The Garda Ombudsman's enquiry will garner more publicity than the trial of the scum driving the car unfortunately.

God help that lady's family, what a horror.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Where are you all getting 7 people from including guards, any news source so far says 5 people taken to hospital, doesn't specify what people

The seven people include the two guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

It happened at 9pm last night so was dark and no way of actually identifying the occupants of the Polo as youths or not. Add the fact that this pursuit would have been at a fairly high speed with some dangerous driving.

The Garda helicoptor is based in Baldonnel Aerodrome and operates under certain constraints such as weather, manpower, budget etc

RIP to the poor woman and her family. A terrible tragedy. God love the Gardai involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So sad and tragic. Maybe if the government resourced the gardai with proper pursuit cars and equipment then it wouldnt have happened. The guards were probably in a less powerful car than the scumbags VW Polo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

I regard Gardai involved in high speed pursuits that causes death or injury of innocent bystanders exactly the same as I would armed police that open fire in a crowded location causing injury or death of innocent bystanders.
    Irresponsible!
    Do they not have radios and can they not organize a coordinated response to end these sort of situations? :confused:

RIP to the innocent victim of this senseless chase. A very sad and unnecessary outcome!

Advertisement