Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape du Tour 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

bazermc wrote: »
    So whats the grub like on the route.

Worth bringing plenty of my own stuff I presume?
    General sportive foods, with a local touch from the region. Tuc biscuits and French cola went down well last year! I bring my own gels/porridge bars and top up the drinks along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

General sportive foods, with a local touch from the region. Tuc biscuits and French cola went down well last year! I bring my own gels/porridge bars and top up the drinks along the way.

Great. No chance of a Hot croquet‑monsieur Then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AjSp9

Cheers for mine!! Masking tape in the bag
    I threw this together for my crossbar (to copy the pros) distances should be correct but don't chase me if it's out :)
    Might be handy for someone

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gambeta_fc

L'ÉTAPE DU TOUR 2015, A Recce Ride:
    http://stories.strava.com/ltape-du-tour-2015

Seriously jealous now ... best of luck to all doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭El Vino

Wish I was doing it, in 2012 I realised I still had all my food from the beginning of the ride and had just been eating the free stuff provided so I ditched about €20 worth of food at the start of the last climb. My tip is bypass the feeding stations at the top of the climbs and use the ones at the bottom as they are less of a scrum. Also do not get in a broom wagon under any circumstance other than injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MarvinTheMartian

Hi, first post, just wanted to say a quick Chapeau to everyone that completed this today, I had a couple of friends and family involved and it was a tough aul shift by the looks of it. Well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Yep, well done to all who did this yesterday. A few people I know did it and it looked super-tough-140km with about 4,300 metres of climbing. No doubt it was hot as well. I did the Etape in 2013 and, compared to yesterday's brutally tough route, I almost feel like I cheated.

Hope everyone made it to the finish! Tough day out between the heat, crashes and couple of climbs thrown in!! Great to see the crowds out again, nothing like it for support and encouragement from the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 newbiecamper

DNF. Got caught by the timing car half way up Glandon. Home was a campsite the other side of Croix de Fer so a bunch of us waited for the road to reopen and then continued on over Glandon and Croix de Fer to home. Disappointed not to finish but had a great weekend and learnt a number of lessons for the next time. No idea how you train in Ireland for 20km climbs like Glandon or Croix de Fer. Met a few other Irish riders (the ones with the Iceland flag). Hope some of you made it through to the finish. Chapeau to all who finished.

• Advertisement

DNF. Got caught by the timing car half way up Glandon. Home was a campsite the other side of Croix de Fer so a bunch of us waited for the road to reopen and then continued on over Glandon and Croix de Fer to home. Disappointed not to finish but had a great weekend and learnt a number of lessons for the next time. No idea how you train in Ireland for 20km climbs like Glandon or Croix de Fer. Met a few other Irish riders (the ones with the Iceland flag). Hope some of you made it through to the finish. Chapeau to all who finished.
    Hard luck! A lot of people got caught on the Glandon. Heard there was a stand off between the french and the gendarmarie at the top of the Glandon when they tried to close the barrier.

The day after isn't the day for giving out tips, but the 2 things I've found best for HC climbs prep is (double) spinning classes and Bikram yoga (for the heat)

Great to see team Iceland out in force, was always watching for the flag

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Tough day for sure but finished with rest of icelanders lol my 5th etape they dont get any easier for sure but experience helped on this one as previous course had most of the same cllimbs.Happy to complete it as was on antibiotics for chest infection week before it. Well done to all finishers and anyone who didnt finish shoulnt be too hard on themselves as it was an exceptionallly hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

DNF as well. Got past the Glandon just before they closed the road. Had to tear down the descent from Croix de Fer as the timing car was right behind me.

Going up the Mollard a bike marshall started waving us off the road as we had passed the cut off. Kept going to the top knowing that it was just a descent in St Jean from there. Really suffered badly from cramp in quads and hamstrings on that ascent almost fell off at one point. Managed to get to the top and got some water in.

Saw the ambulances on the descent but none of the cyclists looked too badly injured just road rash and a collar bone for one guy.

At the food stop at St Jean I stopped and another Irish guy I met decided he would continue up to La Toussuire as he was staying there. I was wrecked at that point and reckoned I wouldn't make it up in the 2 hrs we reckoned we had. So I headed back to the car in St Jean. I since found out he classed as a finisher even though he was way outside the supposed cut off time. As I sit here now I think I should have tried to get up but at the time my legs were tightening up every time I had to put some real effort into the pedals.

What I learnt if I was to do it again
    1. Go out a 3-4 days before hand and get some climbs to get your body used to the heat.
    2. Put a 30 or 32 on the back as I only had a 28 and grinding up the Glandon in the heat was too hard
    3. Do more spin classes / sufferfest / intervals to improve the conditioning
    4. I am fit enough heart rate never got to stressed and never got really badly out of breath even with the heat
    5. There is nothing in Ireland to compare with the climbs in the big mountains so if you can get over there for some training (I should have had an 18 month plan and included a few days away instead of a 9 month plan with no window/cash to do this)
    6. The time limits are flexible

Chapeau to all who tried it was a tough day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Toughest one since 2012 IMO. Got there though :-)

Lots and lots of climbing, dodgy descents and high temperatures. Saw some bad crashes too.

Descending from La Touss in the mad traffic was a challenge too.

Prep for 2016 starts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

This was my third one (2012 [DNF], 2013 & 2015) and I think the hardest due to the high temperatures so am delighted that I finished in around 8 and a half hours riding time but it will also be my last Etape due to poor organisation (see below) and also I have ticked that box now, twice!

On Saturday I got caught in the traffic chaos getting to the registration village and thought the organisers could have done much better here as there is multiple ways up and down so spent way to long in the car. Registration itself was quick and easy but the village was disappointing compared to previous years; 2 reasons, no suitable place to eat food after paying through the roof for it and secondly the Cog Sportiff chill out area in front of the big screen was far too small to watch the tour, previous years had a big green area which was much better and created a good atmosphere. In the village itself I dare say Trek were one of the most impressive with the new Madone which is actually pretty cool in real life (I think!) other then the flappy panel I like it. They also had the 4.84kg bike there, super impressive and the mountain range looked good. Colnago, BMC and Pasoni are others that spring to mind as being good.

The poor organisation continued on Sunday morning with Traffic backing up the motorway for the toll both so another long time sitting in the car but eventually I got to the starting pen and was looking forward to the challenge. So eventually got off and hit the Col De Chassy, on paper it looked relative easy but I thought it felt like the longest climb as I was trying to pace myself and figure out how I was feeling. Coming down then after about 1km I came by an accident - some guy on the side of the road sitting down with a bicycle in 2 and as the cyclist were stopped there was 1000's of us building up on the side of the hill. Going down was tough as it had grouped up so much and the accident shook me a little so my descending was much slower than usual.

The food stops were terrible with most people not getting off there bikes and this pushing and shoving with the bikes made it hard to get food so they should have dismounted people before they reached the tables with food, this was the case at every food stop I stopped at so it got annoying having pedals hit you trying to get food and water.

The Glandon was tough but I made it over and it was the decent from the Mollard were I started to feel the hunger and began suffering. The car was parked at the bottom of the Toussieure so having bowed out on this climb back in 2012 I was back for revenge and definitely game for the challenge. Started off well but by the water stop I was suffering and from there to the end just grinded away in first gear, the end was relatively flat so got a sprint finish in with another guy (I lost!) but that was fun.

The descent down to the car was another example of the poor organisation as there was no way dedicated for the cyclist so lump in a couple of 1000 cyclist who are very tired with irate drivers stuck in traffic for the day is always a winning formula!

Jersey spotting for the other Icelandic compatriots I seen a lad from Dungarvan, 2 lads with Bray Jerseys (could've been the same guy), a girl from Blanch and another girl with the Manor West Hotel sponsor, a lad with an Ireland top spring to mind at the moment.

Whilst I didn't enjoy the organisation a big up to the marshals keeping the roads clear and sitting at junctions in the heat. Also a special mention to the crowds, they were wonderful and made you feel you were in the Tour itself at times!!

As I said this was my third one so maybe a little too critical but they've run for 20 odd years so some reasonable traffic management should have been in place. The back log due to the accidents can't be avoided and I hope anyone in an accident is ok as there were a few air lifts along the course.

If you are thinking of doing one then do as its a great buzz but for me the best thing I've done the past 2 editions is head over early and take in a big climb. Also I stopped at every stop for water due to the heat so ensured I always had plenty of water. I found you couldn't be picky were you stopped in that heat. On Friday I went up the Alp D'heuz in a heat wave so took nearly 2 hours but that really helped to prep me for the event. Also just back from a spin up Mont Ventoux this morning (reached above 38 in parts!) to complete my cycling week in France and yesterday by luck came across the Tour on route to gap so stopped and watched it past where I seen Hanson, Sagan, Roche, Niballi and Martin so a great trip overall!

Well done to all who gave it a go, the heat and climbs made it extremely tough :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

The toughest and one of the best days of my life. First effort and managed to finish it around 9000th - finishing was my only aim!

Twice I thought I was done. Managed to make it through glandon with 4 minutes to spare but missed mollard by 3 minutes. After a near riot at the top the pigs let us through, fair enough after a 25 minute delay on the chaussy descent that messed everyone up. Game back on!!

Raced to st jean de maurienne but at the 15km to go barrier I collapsed in a heap at the side of the road, unable to continue. Luckily our camper can was at the top of la toussire , so the only way home was up. Gobbled my last gel and somehow found the strength to get up at around 7pm after a sadistic and painstaking final 2 hours.

- The suffering all around from the glandon on was insane. Grown men crying in ditches along the route.

- The locals lining the streets along the route were incredible, especially with > 5 to go.

- The atmosphere around the place was special in the build up to the main event

- The village maxed out my Cc

- Alpine descents on closed roads are the best Craic ever.

- alpine climbs are relentless

- I am an average cyclist who did consistent but moderate levels of training from October. If you want to challenge yourself next summer give serious consideration to taking this on. Insanely tough but totally achievable.

- can't wait for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Well done lads! Great effort by everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

Really enjoyed my first etape it took me 9.09 hours and I felt good after finishing, which was just as well as the 20km decent off the mountain was chaos with traffic!! The Glandon was a great climb my favorite of the day my garmin clocked up 38c at one point on it, I stopped and got a coke and mars bar in a small bar and dipped my head under a tap which did the job and took me to the top. I was going to stop at the top and refuel but it was chaos they were throwing banana's up in the air for people to catch (not what i expected from a professionally organized event). I only started cycling a road bike a little over a year ago and my first sportive was the Sean Kelly 100 last year which took me 5h :) so anyone thinking of doing this next year just go for it, but make sure and put in enough training and be able to enjoy the etape. Well done to everybody who entered this event from Iceland, it was a brutally hard course and the intense heat of the day was not everybody's friend, cant wait to watch the pro's ride it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MickK77

Did anyone find the cut-off times being applied too early? I was half way up the Glandon at 12.25, stopped for a drink of water and when I turned around they had the barrier across the road and told us to turn around!
    I started in the last group and then got delayed behind a crash that forced all of us to stop and wait on the descent off the Choussy - so was always close to the cut-off time. Thought they might give a bit of leeway but instead they seem to shut the route 5 - 10 mins earlier than scheduled. Anyone notice this?

I was just looking at that time the pro's completed the stage yesterday, Nibali was 4 hours 22, with the last guy 30 mins later, so 4.52.

Per etape website the winner also did it in 4.52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

MickK77 wrote: »
    Did anyone find the cut-off times being applied too early? I was half way up the Glandon at 12.25, stopped for a drink of water and when I turned around they had the barrier across the road and told us to turn around!
    I started in the last group and then got delayed behind a crash that forced all of us to stop and wait on the descent off the Choussy - so was always close to the cut-off time. Thought they might give a bit of leeway but instead they seem to shut the route 5 - 10 mins earlier than scheduled. Anyone notice this?

I noticed this as well. As I was coming up Col de Mollard we were told we were outside of the cutoff and to stop and wait if we wished. Plenty of people pulled over or lost motivation at that point.

It was one of the reasons when I got to St Jean de Maurienne that I bailed as I thought I was already out of it.

Should have continued up (thats what I think now) but the legs were f'dd.

Not sure if I would be rushing back to do it again. Felt the crowded roads were one of the biggest challenges on the day especially later on the Glandon climb when people were stopping as there legs or lungs gave up.

2016 etape registration open next Tuesday. Rumour to be ventoux 😄

victor201 wrote: »
    2016 etape registration open next Tuesday. Rumour to be ventoux 😄

I heard another rumour that start will be Pau

That is nowhere near Ventoux right?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

Hopefully not tourmalet again its been in etape twice in last 6 yrs ventoux would be nice 😜 for a change

Don't think I'll go back to the Pyrenees so soon, as nice as it it there. Guess we'll know for sure Tuesday.

Am in right in thinking if Ventoux is the course for next year, it will be the only major climb in the stage?

I was looking at the last TDF stage from 2013 and it was a long drag all the way until ventoux.

What killed me in this years letape was the big climbs one after the other from KM 0. I suppose a long drag 200KM and then Ventoux could be worse!

Montpellier - Mt Ventoux drive would be 160KM+, cycle could easily be 200K and then up that climb would be a hard challenge alright.
    does it always have a mountain top finish?

Only thing on Pau-Loudenville on 10th is it would be the day after the stage actually happens which would seem a logistical nightmare for organisers!

Montpellier - Mt Ventoux drive would be 160KM+, cycle could easily be 200K and then up that climb would be a hard challenge alright.
    does it always have a mountain top finish?

Only thing on Pau-Loudenville on 10th is it would be the day after the stage actually happens which would seem a logistical nightmare for organisers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

bazermc wrote: »
    Am in right in thinking if Ventoux is the course for next year, it will be the only major climb in the stage?

I was looking at the last TDF stage from 2013 and it was a long drag all the way until ventoux.

What killed me in this years letape was the big climbs one after the other from KM 0. I suppose a long drag 200KM and then Ventoux could be worse!

You exaggerate sir.

It was from KM 3.

Advertisement