Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape du Tour 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Registration complete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

45 minute wait on the site, so registration almost (hopefully) complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Yay mine too.

Bit more expensive that I'd thought though at 100 yoyo....

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Got mine as well. Waiting long enough

Booked!

• Advertisement

where are people staying? looking into accommodation now.

where are people staying? looking into accommodation now.

After a swift 30 minutes hunting, I reckon finding accommodation for this is going to be more difficult than the actual event!!

So far

Booked flight and bike to Lyon for the 17th back on the 20th.

Hired car (may also sleep in car if accommodation is not found)

Accommodation ongoing but might have a plan B as a friend has an aunt who lives/owns a flat in the area he thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭El Vino

We stayed here last time Etape was in this area , Hotel ibis budget Saint Jean de Maurienne, Route des Grands Prés, 73130 Sainte-Marie-de-Cuines, France

It was perfect, indoor bike storage, those odd french bunk beds where bottom bunk is a double. Right in the middle of some of the best tour climbs - Madeleine, Glandon etc. Walking distance from Train station (we got Train back to Geneva with bikes)

El Vino wrote: »
    We stayed here last time Etape was in this area , Hotel ibis budget Saint Jean de Maurienne, Route des Grands Prés, 73130 Sainte-Marie-de-Cuines, France

It was perfect, indoor bike storage, those odd french bunk beds where bottom bunk is a double. Right in the middle of some of the best tour climbs - Madeleine, Glandon etc. Walking distance from Train station (we got Train back to Geneva with bikes)

So perfect that its booked up. Thanks for the name. :(

• Advertisement

del_boy13 wrote: »
    So perfect that its booked up. Thanks for the name. :(

I know L'Etape are running their own accom packages this year. I'd say between themselves and the tour operators they have everything booked up within 20k! That's the way it looks on the booking sites anyway.

We're going to go the campervan route and then follow the tour around the alps for a few days after.

Looked again today got a studio apartment about 25k away (30 mins drive according to Google). You really need to be careful booking as lots of the sites have nearby hotels as the crow flies which can be a couple of hours by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

I'm in, booked Seanie!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Curnode

Well Folks , Christmas has come and gone, so now the serious training plans must start to kick in ..........

Can you please advise of good upcoming sportives for Feb , March and April. These will be essential as interim targets to aim at with a view to developing the stamina and fitness levels required for later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AjSp9

Hammer and thongs till July!! Plenty climbing for the legs!! Check out Cycling Ireland for a list of Sportives local to you!! Nice long steady rides will elevation thrown in every so often! It'll go along way come Etape time. Best of luck
    Curnode wrote: »
    Well Folks , Christmas has come and gone, so now the serious training plans must start to kick in ..........

Can you please advise of good upcoming sportives for Feb , March and April. These will be essential as interim targets to aim at with a view to developing the stamina and fitness levels required for later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Curnode wrote: »

Orwell randonee
    Mount Leinster challenge
    Mick Byrne 200

All the above are hard and will test the legs. Nowhere near the climbing youll encounter on the etape, but climb as many hills as often as you can between now and July:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Orwell randonee
    Mount Leinster challenge
    Mick Byrne 200

All the above are hard and will test the legs. Nowhere near the climbing youll encounter on the etape, but climb as many hills as often as you can between now and July:)

+1

Also SERC 3 peaks challenge, starts in Arklow usually around March time I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Entries are now open for the Etape Mumhan in Kerry, good tough route with plenty of climbing. Route looks to be the same as last year:

http://register.sportstiming.ie/ps/event/EtapeRasMumhan1

http://www.etaperasmumhan.com/

Make a weekend out of it and take in the Caha Pass and the Priests Leap on the Friday or Sunday for some extra 'torture'

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bre-head

Hi

I wonder could anyone suggest where I might look to book/buy entry to the 2015 l'etape at this late stage? Obviously missed registration by a country mile but looking into it for my husband (40th bday ambition). Have seen entries on some tour operator sites for around €200 but wondering if anywhere cheaper to look.. Or people sell their registrations if doesn't work out for whatever reason? Any advice really appreciated, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Bre-head wrote: »
    Hi

I wonder could anyone suggest where I might look to book/buy entry to the 2015 l'etape at this late stage? Obviously missed registration by a country mile but looking into it for my husband (40th bday ambition). Have seen entries on some tour operator sites for around €200 but wondering if anywhere cheaper to look.. Or people sell their registrations if doesn't work out for whatever reason? Any advice really appreciated, thanks!
    Unless you did a package through the Etape themselves for the accommodation which you'll need anyway or talk to one of the Irish travel agents and see if they can do anything for you. Trailseekers might be able to advise, I think they're booked out themselves but may know some options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

http://www.cyclinglocations.com/etape-du-tour-2015/

Has the route mapped out with details of the climbs....GULP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

bazermc wrote: »

Great video and an epic climb...BUT remember, clever editing makes it look like he did most of the climb out of the saddle, which is probably not the case.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Great video and an epic climb...BUT remember, clever editing makes it look like he did most of the climb out of the saddle, which is probably not the case.

Agree, he makes it look so easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

That's the guts of a 2 hour climb for the ordinary joes (I.e. Me!).

My own strategy climbing the Glandon (and the remainder of the Etapes cols) was to try remain seated and limit the standing - it's uses up much more energy and should be reserved for emergencies (for example, where you might need to push up some of the steeper sections or when taking a tight switch back). Unless you're a pro cyclist - in which case, stand as much as you like....:pac:

How is everybody getting training towards this, how many days to go, gulp dont tell me.

I am steadly increasing the mileage and getting in as much climbing done. Also did two hour spin climbing class last night, hopefully it will all help.

For the next few months am going to do;

Cycle 4 DSI lap de gaps
    Micky Byrne
    Wicklow 200.
    Naas CC- Wicklow Peaks

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Gearsofwars

I have 3 rental copies of Ride the Alps Video - Madeleine/Glandon/Croix de Fer/Mollard/Toussuire - Route Preview & Training Guide (L'Etape 2012) if anyone doing the etape this year, would like to view for free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

How would this compare to this year's Maratona Dles Dolomites?

• Advertisement

@bazermc

Thats a nice little training plan there. I haven't looked to see how close it is but am steadily working towards it. Did the Orwell in the rain last week 2000m climbing and 120k. Was seriously thinking of wimping out but then realised that if the weather was a shocker in July I would be on my bike either way. Learnt a couple of things on that number 1 of which was that the carbon wheels don't like the rain and the swiss stop pads work but I one day of very heavy use really put a dent in them. Might need a backup set of winter training wheels bought in case of emergency.

Hoping to do the Evil in June not sure if I will be able to do it with the group on the planned day but if not will get out myself. If I can drag myself around that then I reckon I'll survive the Etape.

Only getting out to do 1 long ride a month so trying to make them count. I commute 45k round trip so using that for most of my training. Slowly dropping some weight lost 3 kgs since January and have another 3 to go. Have seen this help going up the hills and if I get to the target then I might treat myself to a new set of wheels.

Advertisement