Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etape du Tour 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

del_boy13 wrote: »
    @bazermc

Thats a nice little training plan there. I haven't looked to see how close it is but am steadily working towards it. Did the Orwell in the rain last week 2000m climbing and 120k. Was seriously thinking of wimping out but then realised that if the weather was a shocker in July I would be on my bike either way. Learnt a couple of things on that number 1 of which was that the carbon wheels don't like the rain and the swiss stop pads work but I one day of very heavy use really put a dent in them. Might need a backup set of winter training wheels bought in case of emergency.

Hoping to do the Evil in June not sure if I will be able to do it with the group on the planned day but if not will get out myself. If I can drag myself around that then I reckon I'll survive the Etape.

Only getting out to do 1 long ride a month so trying to make them count. I commute 45k round trip so using that for most of my training. Slowly dropping some weight lost 3 kgs since January and have another 3 to go. Have seen this help going up the hills and if I get to the target then I might treat myself to a new set of wheels.
    You'll be fine, that's decent training. Maybe a couple of longer trips closer together closer to the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Folks

How does bringing my bike on plane to Lyon work. My bike is quite expensive and I dont fancy Aer Lingus wrecking it on me?

Is a bike box recommended or essential, does the airline insist on it?

Would a simple cardboard box suffice that could be disposed of on the other side

What sort of price can i expect to pay for a good solid bag or box and what should I look out for

I plan to do more trips with my bike so probably an investment in a good bike bag would be a good idea.

bazermc wrote: »
    Folks

How does bringing my bike on plane to Lyon work. My bike is quite expensive and I dont fancy Aer Lingus wrecking it on me?

Would a simple cardboard box suffice that could be disposed of on the other side

What sort of price can i expect to pay for a good solid bag or box and what should I look out for

I plan to do more trips with my bike so probably an investment in a good bike bag would be a good idea.
    A cardboard box would probably do, if well packed. Or for ease of mind you could rent one from Wheelworx, they used to do it anyway for reasonable enough money, €50 for a week last time i checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Folks

Get your self a descent bike box. All that training and expense to get over to France to do the Etape..there's no way Id put my bike in a cardboard box! I have one of these Its no longer available, but I would say something similar is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Folks

The two comments above don't compute and disposing on the other side is also confusing - how were you planning on returning?

If you are planning a number of trips then invest in a bike bag. I bought the EVOC one on CRC and even though it was north of €300 it is still a fraction of the bike value so even if it gets wrecked after 3-5 trips I think that is not a bad insurance policy premium.

• Advertisement

DaithiMC wrote: »
    The two comments above don't compute and disposing on the other side is also confusing - how were you planning on returning?

If you are planning a number of trips then invest in a bike bag. I bought the EVOC one on CRC and even though it was north of €300 it is still a fraction of the bike value so even if it gets wrecked after 3-5 trips I think that is not a bad insurance policy premium.

Ha ha, yes fair point. Presume would neeed a cardboard box also on the way home

I think I will just invest in a good bike bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

@bazermc

Thats a nice little training plan there. I haven't looked to see how close it is but am steadily working towards it. Did the Orwell in the rain last week 2000m climbing and 120k. Was seriously thinking of wimping out but then realised that if the weather was a shocker in July I would be on my bike either way. Learnt a couple of things on that number 1 of which was that the carbon wheels don't like the rain and the swiss stop pads work but I one day of very heavy use really put a dent in them. Might need a backup set of winter training wheels bought in case of emergency.

Hoping to do the Evil in June not sure if I will be able to do it with the group on the planned day but if not will get out myself. If I can drag myself around that then I reckon I'll survive the Etape.

Only getting out to do 1 long ride a month so trying to make them count. I commute 45k round trip so using that for most of my training. Slowly dropping some weight lost 3 kgs since January and have another 3 to go. Have seen this help going up the hills and if I get to the target then I might treat myself to a new set of wheels.

My brother, best mate and some friends did the Etape in 2012. One bit of advice they used was to go over and get out a day or 2 before for a good spin, climb one of the big climbs you will encounter on the day itself.
    All of the lads said this was superb advice and made a huge difference. My brother said that psychologically he would not have got thru without doing that.
    Your schedule might not allow for that, but if it does, then that's my advice to ya.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bre-head

Anyone using shipmytribike.ie to transport their bike, or any previous experience of their service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Folks

Approx €200 will buy you this:

http://www.rosebikes.com/article/rose-travel-box-vi-incl-two-butterfly-locks/aid:706980

That said, I would not knock a dbl wall cardboard box. My bike came from Germany in one. As long as the frame is protected, wheels covered, they work.

It depends on the amount of travel you plan to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭El Vino

Valloire is a good option to stay in, much more to do, La Toussaire a pretty soulless ski resort. Unless your family are very keen MTBers or walkers.

• Advertisement

El Vino wrote: »
    Valloire is a good option to stay in, much more to do, La Toussaire a pretty soulless ski resort. Unless your family are very keen MTBers or walkers.
    There may be road closures so something to keep an eye on. Hopefully will be sorted before the Etape but is already threatening the Marmotte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Bib numbers now available on ASO website. Thankfully I've moved up to the middle of the field this year after been at the back in 2013 so don't have to wait at start too long!

Bib numbers now available on ASO website. Thankfully I've moved up to the middle of the field this year after been at the back in 2013 so don't have to wait at start too long!

How do you find that out?

I got my number on the website, cant see anything else though, number is 12020!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Just checked and mine is 11675.

Looked at the newsletter article from Pierre Roland and at the start he mentions is 4,609 metres of climbing thats about 500 more than I was expecting.

Going to have to increase the power training over the next month to manage this. Did a solo spin on Saturday from Swords to Redcross 150k up Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, Hollywood, Donard, Drumgoff, Slieve Mann, Glenmalure to Rathdrum to Avoca and the horrible drag out of Avoca to Redcross. 2,400 metres of climbing and was really feeling the last climb.

Two things are worrying me now about this 1) no warm weather yet this year and if its hot then I will really suffer if I am not used to some heat. 2) Pacing the climbs; no experience on a long climb and getting nervous about this.
    Any advice or tips on the above would be appreciated.

Looked at the newsletter article from Pierre Roland and at the start he mentions is 4,609 metres of climbing thats about 500 more than I was expecting.

Going to have to increase the power training over the next month to manage this. Did a solo spin on Saturday from Swords to Redcross 150k up Sally Gap, Wicklow Gap, Hollywood, Donard, Drumgoff, Slieve Mann, Glenmalure to Rathdrum to Avoca and the horrible drag out of Avoca to Redcross. 2,400 metres of climbing and was really feeling the last climb.

Two things are worrying me now about this 1) no warm weather yet this year and if its hot then I will really suffer if I am not used to some heat. 2) Pacing the climbs; no experience on a long climb and getting nervous about this.
    I got hit hard with the heat in 2011, 42 degrees on Alpe d'huez, I got the shakes and everything.
    What helped me last year was better hydration (and understanding of hydrating) and doing Bikram yoga (40 degrees in the class) (plus my fitness was better). We did the Tourmalet on the Thursday before the Etape in 37 degrees and i found it grand, which brings me on to no.2.
    Pacing, there's not a whole lot here that compares so I've found spinning classes help, 45 minutes or a double class of 90 minutes constant. Combine that with your regular spins and it should prepare you.

Not very scientific, but I paced myself in the climbs by making sure I was able to hold a conversation while climbing. If I was out of breath I figured and couldn't say hello to other cyclists, then I figured I was going too hard. Of course if your aiming to get a good time then this may not be the best method to use. I just wanted to finish! :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Not very scientific, but I paced myself in the climbs by making sure I was able to hold a conversation while climbing. If I was out of breath I figured and couldn't say hello to other cyclists, then I figured I was going too hard. Of course if your aiming to get a good time then this may not be the best method to use. I just wanted to finish! :)
    Just checked my heart rate from the Tourmalet, ~135bpm to ~145bpm on the climb. And the joys of the mountains, with that day so cold I found the shivering kicking in once my hr dropped below 80, cue either stopping and doing star jumps or pedalling with the brakes on to keep the pulse going!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

I'm in the 7,000's this time, last year was out at the back in 13,000's
    SO a little less fear about the broom wagon

Just checked my heart rate from the Tourmalet, ~135bpm to ~145bpm on the climb. And the joys of the mountains, with that day so cold I found the shivering kicking in once my hr dropped below 80, cue either stopping and doing star jumps or pedalling with the brakes on to keep the pulse going!

Was that while you were cycling uphill? :eek:

Was that while you were cycling uphill? :eek:
    LOL no, downhill! It was a tough balance between going fast and the crash/cold risk and slow and taking longer to get down off the mountain!
    (If there's a weather warning this year I'll be bringing a shot of brandy with me for the top!)

• Advertisement

LOL no, downhill! It was a tough balance between going fast and the crash/cold risk and slow and taking longer to get down off the mountain!
    (If there's a weather warning this year I'll be bringing a shot of brandy with me for the top!)

Geez I thought you were cycling up the Tourmalet during a snow blizzard or something! :)

Thankfully I've only had the pleasure of descending off the Alps in 20+ degree heat.

Geez I thought you were cycling up the Tourmalet during a snow blizzard or something! :)

Thankfully I've only had the pleasure of descending off the Alps in 20+ degree heat.
    It went from this and 37 degrees on the Thursday
    10386886_10152150391765936_3277138783029710249_o.jpg

To this and ~4 degrees with a windchill on the Sunday!
    Screen-Shot-2014-08-02-at-16.48.34.png

Lesson of the trip, plan for both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Do some people not bring bikes ??

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭eeimcaw

Hi Folks,
    First timer going over to do Etape stage so looking for a bit of advice from those who have done it before.

What are the food stops like at the etape? How many of them is on the route, what sort of food do you get?

Do people try and carry as much food as they can or do they just bring cash and stop off at the towns the route goes thru?

Is there water regularly on the route?

Any info at all would be much appreciated... Thanks...

eeimcaw wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    First timer going over to do Etape stage so looking for a bit of advice from those who have done it before.

What are the food stops like at the etape? How many of them is on the route, what sort of food do you get?

Do people try and carry as much food as they can or do they just bring cash and stop off at the towns the route goes thru?

Is there water regularly on the route?

Any info at all would be much appreciated... Thanks...
    Food stops are fine, a little regional from my experience, once in the Alps, once in the Pyrenees. Last year I found the cakes, Tuc crackers and French Cola (Some kick off it!) great!

Here's a photo of last years Itinerary

4 food and 5 water stops so loads. The advice we got and took was to avoid the first food stop, it was only 32km in and get ahead of more people.

Personal experience from cycling and adventure races. I bring porridge bars (home made) and gels, and a mix of water and electrolytes for my bottles. Especially with the gels/electrolytes only take what you're used to and comfortable taking, you don't want them reacting badly with you!

Etape.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

It went from this and 37 degrees on the Thursday
    10386886_10152150391765936_3277138783029710249_o.jpg

To this and ~4 degrees with a windchill on the Sunday!

Lesson of the trip, plan for both :)

does that guy on the right have a pair of yellow marigolds on

does that guy on the right have a pair of yellow marigolds on
    That might not be a bad idea for a pair of lightweight disposable gloves just to keep the cold off!

Insurance

What do people recommend in terms of buying specific travel insurance for the trip

Travel Insurance Direct Ireland - seem to pop up on top if I google sports travel insurance

Looks like the tunnel de Chambon is definitely blocked, they'd to stop work on it due to "movement".
    Link (in french)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Etape run through not a bad preview video had some handy pointers for the route.

Advertisement