Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Crap on Adams, Mod Warning in OP.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Her story did not add up.

She claimed that he raped her several times over the course of 1/2 years. When Vincent asked why she didn't leave the house, her response was 'I was protecting the other children. If he didn't rape me, he'd rape them' - what a weird mentality to have.

She also said she used to lay on the couch and he would come up behind her and rape her, all the while she continued to be asleep. She said this pattern of abuse would repeat itself. - Why would you pretend to be asleep?

There was something about her which I found to be quite disturbing to watch. I am with Adams on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Heat_Wave wrote: »

She claimed that he raped her several times over the course of 1/2 years. When Vincent asked why she didn't leave the house, her response was 'I was protecting the other children. If he didn't rape me, he'd rape them' - what a weird mentality to have.

She also said she used to lay on the couch and he would come up behind her and rape her, all the while she continued to be asleep. She said this pattern of abuse would repeat itself. - Why would you pretend to be asleep?

There was something about her which I found to be quite disturbing to watch. I am with Adams on this one.

It's pretty common in abuse situations one sibling will protect others by allowing the abuse to continue you might want to do some research before making statements as to how and why first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

wow, you and busted flat who thanked this sick diatribe need to educate yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Gatling wrote: »
    It's pretty common in abuse situations one sibling will protect others by allowing the abuse to continue you might want to do some research before making statements as to how and why first

Ya, it's a pretty common trend in abuse situations.

What I'd like to know is why when asked the same question on the Spotlight show she didn't give that answer.

One could be forgiven for thinking that O' Hanlon had coached her on how to answer it before her appearance on TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think you may have some facts wrong here.
    Adams doesn't deny he discussed the issue...it is her version of the discussion that he disagrees with.

Wrong

Adams denies that he discussed the rape claim during the meeting - I heard him say it in an interview

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/joan-burton-ira-rape-case-allegation-raises-serious-questions-30669977.html

He is lying........ tell the truth Gerry !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

raymon wrote: »
    Wrong

Adams denies that he discussed the rape claim during the meeting - I heard him say it in an interview

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/joan-burton-ira-rape-case-allegation-raises-serious-questions-30669977.html

He is lying........ tell the truth Gerry !

Clarified on Six One News interview with Ms Cahill...He claimed he didn't discuss the 'detail' of her abuse.

Sindo being careless with the details again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

So, a woman to blame then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

This might sound stupid, on VB last night she said that she stayed to protect the children in his flat or house, who were these children. Were they his or who's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I really don't see the point of us sitting in judgement of people who make serious rape allegations. All the civilized world knows that victims of rape, sexual assault and domestic violence sometimes behave in ways that another person would not behave, under normal circumstances.

I know it's the internet age and we are rewarded for broadcasting every fleeting whim and notion we get, no matter how hurtful, but to go on an internet forum judging a woman's credibility on her being raped just seems like it's in really bad taste.

The issue in this affair is how the allegations were dealt with by Adams. Not whether someone is a rape victim or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Clarified on Six One News interview with Ms Cahill...He claimed he didn't discuss the 'detail' of her abuse.

Sindo being careless with the details again.

Thats wrong Happyman

Please reference the actual interview rather than a secondary source before you determine what he said

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/news-at-one/2014/1016/

Gerry clearly says that he did not discuss the rape allegation .

Please go to 41:40/49:00

he is obviously lying through his teeth in this interview .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Adams is digging another hole for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,761 ✭✭✭✭walshb

maccored wrote: »
    As the SF leader, Im not too sure what you think he could have done to an IRA member

I never said that I thought he should do anything to an IRA member. What I meant was that if he knew that a serious crime was being committed and he decided to do nothing about it, then he would not want anyone knowing this, especially with him being such an authoritative and impacting and influential leader of people. Isn't it a crime to not report a crime that you know is being committed, or was committed? Maybe not for all crimes.

Now, he says that the lady and him did not discuss her sexual abuse at the hands of an IRA member. She seems adamant that they did discuss this. Why is he denying it? Maybe because of what I wrote in the paragraph above this? If he comes out and says "yes I knew about the crime being committed against this 16 year old, but I decided not to alert the relevant authorities." That is damning! He won't hang himself here.

walshb wrote: »
    Why is he denying it?

You've already made up your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

they were psychopathic murderers why are people surprised that they were raping kids as well?
    Who's "they" and which kids were "they" raping?

Do answer now instead of leaving it at just a vague comment and running off.

I'm no fan of the IRA but saying any auld thing about them - or about loyalist paramilitaries, or the British army, or the RUC, is not good debating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Adams is digging another hole for himself.

Better that then him sending out his cohorts to dig holes for others.

Absolutely vile little man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

Who's "they" and which kids were "they" raping?

Do answer now instead of leaving it at just a vague comment and running off.

I'm no fan of the IRA but saying any auld thing about them - or about loyalist paramilitaries, or the British army, or the RUC, is not good debating.

I presume "they" means IRA members.... as its alleged the person who raped a then 16 year old Mairia Cahill was supposedly an IRA member...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

conorh91 wrote: »
    I really don't see the point of us sitting in judgement of people who make serious rape allegations. All the civilized world knows that victims of rape, sexual assault and domestic violence sometimes behave in ways that another person would not behave, under normal circumstances.

I know it's the internet age and we are rewarded for broadcasting every fleeting whim and notion we get, no matter how hurtful, but to go on an internet forum judging a woman's credibility on her being raped just seems like it's in really bad taste.

The issue in this affair is how the allegations were dealt with by Adams. Not whether someone is a rape victim or not.

I would 100% agree with you under normal circumstances but this situation is different as the people in question are well known public figures. People are entitled to pass judgement if it is the interest of the people.

For example, Cliff Richard has been in the media for child sex allegations. Majority of people reacted by saying 'Cliff Richard, no way, that couldn't be true'. Are these people disrespecting the child in question? No they're not. Yet Cliff Richards character has been dragged through the mud. This is the exact same thing imo. Without evidence no one can say the 'victim' is genuinely a victim, yet people are siding with her. What if she is lying? And based on the interview I watched she didn't come across genuine nor trustworthy imo.

Obviously if I didn't know either person I couldn't pass judgement nor would I, but based on her interview i find her story difficult to believe.

Innocent until proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

For example, Cliff Richard has been in the media for child sex allegations. Majority of people reacted by saying 'Cliff Richard, no way, that couldn't be true'. Are these people disrespecting the child in question? No they're not.

[…]

Innocent until proven guilty.

False dichotomy. A presumption of innocence does not create an open-season for implying that victims are liars.

The question of whether Mairia Cahill was raped is 100% irrelevant.

The question is how senior republican figures responded to her claims, and whether they established some kind of kangaroo court.

You've already made up your mind.

I haven't made my mind up. I just think it's likely, unless the lady is a liar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

conorh91 wrote: »
    False dichotomy. A presumption of innocence does not create an open-season for implying that victims are liars.

The question of whether Mairia Cahill was raped is 100% irrelevant.

The question is how senior republican figures responded to her claims, and whether they established some kind of kangaroo court.

Her uncle was/is a senior republican!

Can't imagine him taking no action against the alleged rapist!

• Advertisement

Her uncle was/is a senior republican!

Can't imagine him taking no action against the alleged rapist!

All this stuff is irrelevant. No matter what did nor did not happen as regards sanctions or punishment the issue is whether Adams was aware of what was allegedly happening to the 16 year .

All this stuff is irrelevant. No matter what did nor did not happen as regards sanctions or punishment the issue is whether Adams was aware of what was allegedly happening to the 16 year .

Of course its relevant. Do you really believe her uncle wouldn't have killed him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Worse thing that could happen here is that Gerry Adams steps down as leader and that Mary Lou McDonald is elected leader.

McDonald is more convincing putting forward Sinn Feinn's phoney policies and as a result they could do better in the next election!

Adams is a liability and better that he continues to be so.

Of course justice for Maria Cahill is of paramount importance, if she is telling the truth and I think that she is, it is important for her to be able to tell her story as part of her healing process.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »

Of course justice for Maria Cahill is of paramount importance.

In fairness, she had a chance for that and for whatever reason didn't take it.
    Whatever else happens with the road she has decided on, 'justice' won't be one of the achievements sadly.

Of course its relevant. Do you really believe her uncle wouldn't have killed him?

Do you really believe that he would have? Neither of us could know this. And, did her uncle know about the alleged abuse?

Do you really believe that he would have? Neither of us could know this. And, did her uncle know about the alleged abuse?

I have no doubt he would have killed her rapist. He was one of the top Republicans in the country, he would have had no problem finding out who the man was.

Anyone got a link to the interview/spotlight programme?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Xenophile wrote: »
    Worse thing that could happen here is that Gerry Adams steps down as leader and that Mary Lou McDonald is elected leader.

McDonald is more convincing putting forward Sinn Feinn's phoney policies and as a result they could do better in the next election!

Adams is a liability and better that he continues to be so.

Of course justice for Maria Cahill is of paramount importance, if she is telling the truth and I think that she is, it is important for her to be able to tell her story as part of her healing process.

Adams will only go on his terms. Do you think he's going to let Lou move in and take his position, not a chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone got a link to the interview/spotlight programme?

Lol.

You mean to tell me you're so opinionated on the whole subject and haven't actually watched it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

As for the op and the people bashing adams, its all well and good saying all what's been said in hindsight but back then, there was a war on and the RUC couldn't be trusted by no one. As for the IRAs kangaroo courts, you have to look atbit from their perspective, she could have been lying and it isnt the first time a girl has came out and lied about rapes. For all they know she could be sent to say these allegations by handlers in the special branch.

Now in 2014 its OK to say Adams was wrong in how he dealt with it, so what, we all make mistakes in life and he was a man with quite alit of pressure in him. He is the god father of Irish Republicanism ffs and anyone who doesn't think there's someone pulling this girls strings is a fool IMO! As for the girl herself, something seems fishy about her to be totally honest with you all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement