Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry Medicine 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Same for me, no results option. The teases :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The results are definitely due out in April; but like the others I can't access them.

I've sent a mail and tweeted them; hopefully they'll reply soon since it's early morning in Australia.

Results are out! I'm in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

ronivek wrote: »
    Results are out! I'm in shock.

Best of luck to you all!!!

I hope you're happy with them :)

And you already have a chance with RCSI. So don't stress. Work on the best application you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

what is the scores ppl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

jody24 wrote: »
    what is the scores ppl?

186/ 94th centile. Fairly over the moon, was terrified I had got like a 120. Keeps things on track thankfully.

164, giving me a grand total of 699. Good thing I'm banking on mature entry

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annaya

Hey Danbag,
    Most of the universities have minimum matriculation requirements that mature students still have to meet. Most require 1 science, some (TCD and UCC iirc) require 2 sciences.
    However you can also do a college access program focussing on science subjects and afaik this can meet your LC subject requirements if you get a distinction in the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pooch88

All I can say is I hate the hpat!! Anyone know how much weight the colleges give it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 optimist90

Any sign of the percentile curve? If you are in for example, the 80th percentile, is that based on the scores of all candidates or just mature candidates? If that makes sense?!

• Advertisement

optimist90 wrote: »
    Any sign of the percentile curve? If you are in for example, the 80th percentile, is that based on the scores of all candidates or just mature candidates? If that makes sense?!

Centile is based on all candidates and not just matures.

Curve won't be released until June when all students get results, however based upon my own result there isn't much movement on the curve compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speedbird184

Healium wrote: »

What do you mean by grand total of 699

What do you mean by grand total of 699

Leaving Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speedbird184

Ah ok, thanks Healium.

To everyone who chose RCSI on their CAO application: did you receive the email requesting documentation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

Healium wrote: »

Healium, what percentile was 164 in??

Gallagher1 wrote: »

70th

Pooch88 wrote: »
    All I can say is I hate the hpat!! Anyone know how much weight the colleges give it ?

Don't worry too much; I've heard of people with high HPAT not even being asked for interview so it certainly isn't the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BeansandToast

91st percentile. Don't even know. I didn't answer the last 10 or so q's in section 3, similar situation with section 2. Good stuff I guess.

Also Pooch88, as far as I'm aware, for RCSI, they really aren't taking the HPAT into consideration. She herself said it wasn't a fair method. SO I wouldn't worry too much about that.

My section 3 was dire but still managed top percentile; just goes to show it's not very important after the weighting changes I suppose.

Hope everyone is happy guys!! Just to spark another little discussion before we hear anything, how exactly are you guys financing this? Have you met with banks? Or is it from your own pocket? thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

91st percentile. Don't even know. I didn't answer the last 10 or so q's in section 3, similar situation with section 2. Good stuff I guess.

Also Pooch88, as far as I'm aware, for RCSI, they really aren't taking the HPAT into consideration. She herself said it wasn't a fair method. SO I wouldn't worry too much about that.

What was your overall score?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CGMed

Gallagher1 wrote: »

For the record. Score of 164 in 2014 ranked 65 percentile.
    This might suggest that overall scores have dropped this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kirby2k07

CGMed wrote: »
    For the record. Score of 164 in 2014 ranked 65 percentile.
    This might suggest that overall scores have dropped this year?

65th %ile last year was an adjusted score of 160 last year.

Just some info from last year, college, interview offer date and finally (number of mature places offered )

TCD - 22/04 (7) - interview 11/05
    NUIG - 23/04 (2) - interview 20/05
    RCSI - 29/04 (15) - interview 14&15/05
    UCD - 11/06 (1) - interview ??
    UCC - 21/06 (4-6) - interview 27/06

Total - 30 places for 200-300 applicants.

RCSI offer interviews to 41 I believe.

UCC usually have 4 matures, but I heard they took in 6 last year. Apparently offer as many as 20 interviews, however by early June, you would expect a number of those would have taken offers elsewhere

UCD offered 2 interviews, one place

NUIG offer "interviews" to top 20 HPAT scorers (interviews are scenario based)

TCD- I don't have the foggiest how many interviews they offer, but have second highest amount of mature places.

Most colleges made offers within a few days of interviews.

Great post; do you know when the interviews were held also?

ronivek wrote: »
    Great post; do you know when the interviews were held also?

Main post updated- below are interview dates from last year.

TCD - 22/04 (7) - interview 11/05
    NUIG - 23/04 (2) - MMS 20/05
    RCSI - 29/04 (15) - interview 14&15/05
    UCD - 11/06 (1) - interview ??
    UCC - 21/06 (4-6) - interview 27/06

Hey guys, just for RCSI, what length are you guys looking at for your personal statement?

I've heard everything from 2 to 20 pages getting people a place in RCSI over the years. Personally speaking mine is about 5 pages and a little over 2 000 words.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 RichieRichRich

Hi all med head hopefuls,

First time poster but following this thread for a while now.

I have a 1.1. pharmacy degree from RCSI and currently doing a masters in community practice with the college.

It was my first time sitting the hpat this year and got an abysmal 148...ouch. I have only applied to trinity as a mature as RCSI fees are not feasible for me if I intend to start this September.

From what I can gather hpat scores aren't valued too highly by RCSI but does the same ethos extend to trinity? I was told at a mature trinity evening that their is a 3:1 weighting of application details : hpat score for calling candidates to interview.

I called Trinity last week to ask them:

A) Whenabouts will interview calls me made?
    B) Are places awarded solely on the interview performance or is it part of a larger score taking into consideration hpat, application etc?

Firstly, they really don't like answering questions. Her tone on the phone made me feel like I had run over her dog or something. I kept being referred from general admissions to medicine admissions and back again as if they were trying to fob me off.

****rant over****

A) She said another 3-4 weeks until interviews are called as they hadn't even started looking at applications.
    B) Interview performance solely determines awarding of places.

I think she meant the interviews themselves will be in 3-4 weeks as opposed to offers. This would be in line with the timeline Coalan posted. I hope this is the case anyways

Rich

• Advertisement

What line spacing are people using. My statement jumps from 3 pages to 5 when I switch from single to double :/

I hate these naggy, hair splitting moments.

Advertisement