Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mob hacks off rapist's genitals with meat cleaver after dragging him into butchers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Is this a "If a tree falls" thing? Yeh they wouldn't be a rapist if they didn't rape.

Rapists have chosen to rape - first I've heard of it that actually no, they can't help themselves, their genitals control them. These "Rapists can't help themselves" comments are disconcerting and are slightly removing responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is this a "If a tree falls" thing? Yeh they wouldn't be a rapist if they didn't rape.

Rapists have chosen to rape - first I've heard of it that actually no, they can't help themselves, their genitals control them. These "Rapists can't help themselves" comments are disconcerting and are slightly removing responsibility.

Can't call someone a rapist if they've never raped anyone,patently ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If that meat cleaver wasn't sterilised there's a good chance he'll get an infection. Barbaric - and yet there was never seeming evidence that he was in a position to rape (I am not being an apologist here - the story indicates that he was certainly physically assaulting a girl but it's too vague to understand what was happening.)

Cutting off someone's genitals doesn't suddenly stop them from being a rapist - there's a whole lot more of a psychological dimension to it. How come the wide majority of the human population can control our sexual desires appropriately if merely having a set of genitals enabled us?
    kneemos wrote: »
    He's in a critical state in hospital according to the article,didn't say why.
    Blood loss, shock most likely. (full of veins down there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't call someone a rapist if they've never raped anyone,patently ridiculous.
    Well yeh obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

endacl wrote: »
    Because the death penalty really works as a deterrent, doesn't it?

What's the murder rate looking like in the US these days? Compare murder rates in Florida in the years since 1978. Florida was the first state to reintroduce state sanctioned killing after the Furman v. Georgia decision in 1972.

Quick question for you. I'm sure you'll have no trouble googling the answer. Have murder rates in Florida risen, fallen, or stayed the same since 1978? A quick search should show you how daft your comment is. In the light of facts and evidence.

;)

Fallen.

1978 Florida Population 8,594,000, murders 949....ie 11 murders per 100,000
    2012 Florida Population 19,317,568, murders 1,009..ie 5.2 murders per 100,000

So since they have started killing them in 1979 the murder rate has effectively halved, so I wonder how daft the comment is:eek:

• Advertisement

Don't really see the problem with castration.. After recovery, the lasting effect is no sex which is perfect considering he was raping a teenage girl.

In cases like this, I don't have any problem with people taking the law into their own hands..

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Fallen.

1978 Florida Population 8,594,000, murders 949....ie 11 murders per 100,000
    2012 Florida Population 19,317,568, murders 1,009..ie 5.2 murders per 100,000

So since they have started killing them in 1979 the murder rate has effectively halved, so I wonder how daft the comment is:eek:

Wasn't Miami the gateway for the cartels in those decades? Think Florida could be a bit of an outlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Don't really see the problem with castration.. After recovery, the lasting effect is no sex which is perfect considering he was raping a teenage girl.

In cases like this, I don't have any problem with people taking the law into their own hands..

Vigilantism should always be discouraged, it cannot be allowed to undermine the rule of law of the land in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If you're a rapist/pedo all bets are off imo. The girl he raped is destroyed for life

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Yeh, I was struck by how non distressed the guy looked (and standing up/walking) considering the worst thing that could be done to a man had just been done to him... :confused:
    Worse than getting both your eyes removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm disappointed that so many people don't get why mob justice is a bad idea. Even taking the keyboard warrior effect into account I thought more of us understood why society needs it to function. I expect the people who handed out the punishment enjoyed it. Mobs are fuelled by the frenzy and things get out of hand. This is why we have had codified law for thousands of years. We take a step back and examine the crime away from a gang out for blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,427 ✭✭✭tritium

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If you're a rapist/pedo all bets are off imo. The girl he raped is destroyed for life

If you read the report he didn't actually rape anyone. He was caught pinning a girl against a wall and beyond that details are sketchy apart from that a mob decided on some hang them high justice.

It may have been his intention but frankly the only indicator we have is from the sensational journalism used

• Registered Users Posts: 45,266 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

tritium wrote: »
    If you read the report he didn't actually rape anyone. He was caught pinning a girl against a wall and beyond that details are sketchy apart from that a mob decided on some hang them high justice.

It may have been his intention but frankly the only indicator we have is from the sensational journalism used

Pinning a girl against a wall is enough to warrant it. If a family member of the girl had found him right then and there he'd probably be a dead man.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭ALiasEX

Pinning a girl against a wall is enough to warrant it. If a family member of the girl had found him right then and there he'd probably be a dead man.
    He could have been pinning her to the wall to stop her from hitting him or any other reason, except the intention to rape, one can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭DeadHand

So, amateur castration is a just punishment for pinning someone against a wall?

Have you ever considered a career in law?

You have to be taking the pi55 mate! Cut someone's balls off because they pinned someone else against a wall? Half the bouncers in Dublin wod be singing soprano by that standard.

Do you know the circumstance that led to that point? Can you categorically say that he was trying to rape the girl based on the information or are you just jumping on the mob justice bandwagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

DeadHand wrote: »
    So, amateur castration is a just punishment for pinning someone against a wall?

Have you ever considered a career in law?

He'd be dead if he was there...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/notorious-violent-rapist-is-free-to-walk-streets-again-30656898.html

The Irish Way:

"Byrne has ten convictions, the longest being for 15 years for raping an 18-year-old woman in November 1993 when he was only 16. He struck his first victim on the head with a brick and told her he had to kill her.

Thirty six hours after his release in December 2005 he attacked a Filipino nurse leaving work in the early hours near the Mater Hospital, Dublin. He was jailed for five years on a charge of assault and threatening to kill one of two men who came to her rescue.

Just 14 hours after being released from that sentence, in September 2009, Byrne attacked the young French woman in Phibsboro. She gave evidence that he struck her on the head and forced his way into her home, but her housemate was awoken and Byrne fled. Byrne was given an eight-year sentence, with the final two years suspended. With parole, he served only five years of the sentence."

Vigilantism should always be discouraged, it cannot be allowed to undermine the rule of law of the land in question.
    India is famed for its useless legal system in regards to rapists.. It's only changing now after the bus incident.

Hitchens wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/notorious-violent-rapist-is-free-to-walk-streets-again-30656898.html

The Irish Way:

"Byrne has ten convictions, the longest being for 15 years for raping an 18-year-old woman in November 1993 when he was only 16. He struck his first victim on the head with a brick and told her he had to kill her.

Thirty six hours after his release in December 2005 he attacked a Filipino nurse leaving work in the early hours near the Mater Hospital, Dublin. He was jailed for five years on a charge of assault and threatening to kill one of two men who came to her rescue.

Just 14 hours after being released from that sentence, in September 2009, Byrne attacked the young French woman in Phibsboro. She gave evidence that he struck her on the head and forced his way into her home, but her housemate was awoken and Byrne fled. Byrne was given an eight-year sentence, with the final two years suspended. With parole, he served only five years of the sentence."

Its a shocking case but as usual hard cases make bad laws, especially when they're reported with a touch if tabloid flair. For example if notes the reduction in terms given for murder - this is nonsense, there is only one possible mandatory sentence for murder, life. That some offenders may be deemed fit for release after X years can only be assessed by the recidivism rate- starkly absent from the report.

Don't get me wrong I'd question why a life tariff isn't on the table for this scumbag at this stage (possibly because he's been stopped before he can commit the most serious offence). But I don't think using him as an example of why mob justice is preferable is particularly useful. Having been in the neighbourhood where Josie Dwyer, an aids riddled burned out junkie, was kicked to death by a vigilante mob about 20 years ago I'm pretty certain of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

The only thing more disturbing than an angry lynch mob in a third world country committing a savage, brutal act, is when people in a supposedly civilised country congratulate them and call them heroes. Really, some days I just don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I wonder- how many of you people would be willing to wield that meat cleaver yourselves?

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's not about being 'soft' on crime-- we have to decide: is it wrong to commit acts of brutality like castrating somebody with a butcher knife?? It's a yes or a no, not a 'sometimes'. Otherwise, what you're really saying is that brutality without permission , or mob approval, is wrong, and not just wrong in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

What that crowd did was wrong, and the perpetrators need to face justice in a court of law.

Indeed.

Don't expect me to actually feel sorry for the barsteward though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Packrat

To all the people condemning this: What 'Rule of law' are you on about? India is well known for it's ineffective laws and enforcement on rapists. In a society like that, - Id do similar.

Here? no, I wouldn't support vigilantism - well unless the courts let the ba*tard off, and it was a female relative of mine, but in that society? - absolutely.

Its all very well to say that one should agitate for change in a society like that, but that will take years. How many more would he or his acquaintances have attacked in that time? I promise you, - anyone who knows him won't be raping anyone anytime soon.

These type of threads come up pretty often here, and I have thought about whether I'd actually go through with physical retribution on someone who badly wronged me or a relative if the law couldn't get them, and have decided that YES, I actually would. I'd feel I had no other option tbh, and once the initial anger cooled, that would be the driving factor.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Packrat wrote: »
    I have thought about whether I'd actually go through with physical retribution on someone who badly wronged me or a relative if the law couldn't get them, and have decided that YES, I actually would. I'd feel I had no other option tbh, and once the initial anger cooled, that would be the driving factor.

No no wouldn't, unless you're a complete psycho, and I doubt the Indian crowd would have either, had it not been for mob mentality. Mob mentality is a scary, unthinking, reckless, stupid force.

Packrat wrote: »
    To all the people condemning this: What 'Rule of law' are you on about? India is well known for it's ineffective laws and enforcement on rapists. In a society like that, - Id do similar.

Here? no, I wouldn't support vigilantism - well unless the courts let the ba*tard off, and it was a female relative of mine, but in that society? - absolutely.

Its all very well to say that one should agitate for change in a society like that, but that will take years. How many more would he or his acquaintances have attacked in that time? I promise you, - anyone who knows him won't be raping anyone anytime soon.

These type of threads come up pretty often here, and I have thought about whether I'd actually go through with physical retribution on someone who badly wronged me or a relative if the law couldn't get them, and have decided that YES, I actually would. I'd feel I had no other option tbh, and once the initial anger cooled, that would be the driving factor.

Before you start telling us its OK because India doesn't deal effectively with rapists you should read the link I copied earlier from tGC. Here it is again

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-53-rape-cases-filed-between-april-2013-and-july-2013-false-delhi-commission-of-women-2023334

Now if the report is even remotely true, are you still OK with mob justice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

There is a good chance the man was a known offender. He probably had a high acquittal record. The crowd were probably frustrated and something snapped. There may be many factors at play here but vigilantism is generally a good thing. Just watch DEATH WISH and try to argue otherwise.

lanos wrote: »
    There is a good chance the man was a known offender. He probably had a high acquittal record. The crowd were probably frustrated and something snapped. There may be many factors at play here but vigilantism is generally a good thing. Just watch DEATH WISH and try to argue otherwise.

Oh you're obviously familiar with the case, do give us some additional details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Oh I see. Its ' mob hacks off rapists genitals'.
    No mod. No racist.
    And me thinking After Hours mods really had upped the penalties for posters not reading the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dr Robert

I always think of the Swiss girl raped and murdered in Galway when this topic comes up. The guy who did it was out of jail despite racking up some of these:
    By the time he raped a French student in 2007 and weeks later, raped and murdered the Swiss student, Manuel Riedo, he was already a convicted sex offender, listed on a garda register as a danger to women, and the subject of a court protection order.
    He went on to attack an elderly man in his home, resulting in him being completed blinded. He was sentenced to two years in jail for that
    He was just 16 when he got involved in a violent attack that ended in the brutal death of an innocent young man on a stag night in Galway.

Colm Phelan, 26, was waiting for a taxi with friends in Eyre Square when Barry and a gang jumped on them. Colm died of head injuries
    Although in and out of prison, he had a relationship with a local girl. Garda sources said she endured terrible abuse, even after she gave birth to their child. She left him but he pursued her. In 2005, he broke into her home one night and he sexually assaulted her. She reported him to the gardai and got a protection order.

Barry was convicted of sexual assault for which he received an 18-month sentence. When he got out, he continued to pursue her. Late on August 16, 2007, he called to her home. There was a fight and a struggle and he assaulted her.

He later claimed to gardai that he went home after that. The truth was that after his attack on his partner, he saw a young woman walking ahead of him through Mervue estate. He walked quickly behind her, grabbed her by the hair and put a knife to her throat. He dragged her to St James's GAA pitch and raped her repeatedly.

Irish law eh? Mob rule would have been too good for the likes of this

Forgive me for not having much sympathy for rapists

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    I don't know how people can applaud this. The man attempted a horrible crime. the crowd carried out another horrible crime. Raping is a bad thing, maiming isn't something to cheer on either.

Like Shakespears Sister, I understand the sentiment but I feel sick at the action.

Very eloquent expression of my own thoughts on this. If you beat and castrate someone, you are not much better than them

Advertisement