Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll 2014/2015. Please read first post!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Thanks. Have passed details to her.

No worries, hope she gets sorted- is she not staying for New Years?! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

fannymagee wrote: »
    No worries, hope she gets sorted- is she not staying for New Years?! :-)

Looking to arrive Dec 27/28. I'll be arriving 27th.

Ah OK, I thought you meant she only wanted to stay 2 days! It's a busy week, hope she finds somehting but I'm sure she will. Tell her to stay in touch with the tourist board :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

There's an apartment available on AirBnB in Oberndorf in Tirol, not a million miles away if really stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

stevire wrote: »
    There's an apartment available on AirBnB in Oberndorf in Tirol, not a million miles away if really stuck!

Thanks but those prices are per night. The cheapest is €250 a night.

• Advertisement

Great idea Steveire- I must get a few Sollers onto AirBnB!! Wish to God I got feckin comission on all these referrals haha ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Great idea Steveire- I must get a few Sollers onto AirBnB!! Wish to God I got feckin comission on all these referrals haha ;-)

All the boardies who go should be buying you drinks at least!! :D

Deffo a way to make a quick buck I think!

Is there much seasonal accommodation in Soll? We're planning on a season next year (going without a 'season' job, just try save enough now to afford accom, food and bills for 4-5 months) and Kirchdorf/Ellamu constantly comes up with decent looking houses/apartments available for about 5-800e a month... If we got one next year we'd definitely go down the AirBnB route to help with the living expenses.

Generally look here for seasonal accommodation:
    http://www.immodirekt.at/immobilien/latest/

Will you be there this season Steveire? I can put you in touch with some people if yes :-)

Will you be there this season Steveire? I can put you in touch with some people if yes :-)

Thanks but just planning next year in advance to work out budgets etc! Out of interest is it a house/apt? How much per month?

Sorry for all the q's!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Soll have confirmed resort will not open until the 19th of December! Fohen wind forecast for early next week, across all Alpine resort which could be bad news for snow!

Almbahn is now an 8-man, yahoo! Hopefully no more bottlenecks :-)

Almbahn is now an 8-man, yahoo! Hopefully no more bottlenecks :-)

It would be great if the resort was actually open :D

Fattes wrote: »
    It would be great if the resort was actually open :D

Almbahn is open

First skilehrer training of the season today- new uniforms out in force! Buckle up Soll- it's après time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 walshj74

Thanks for the earlier advice Fanny. We eventually booked into the Hotel Garni-Tenne, which is fairly central i think.

Looking forward to it

walshj74 wrote: »
    Thanks for the earlier advice Fanny. We eventually booked into the Hotel Garni-Tenne, which is fairly central i think.

Looking forward to it

Ah that's as central as you can get! Great location, lovely place. Enjoy! :-)

Both Topflight and Direct ski, are canceling and refunding holidays to Soll leaving this Saturday for the Christmas period! Starting to look like the lifts form Soll will not be open for Christmas! Gutted for those who have booked a christmas away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Both Topflight and Direct ski, are canceling and refunding holidays to Soll leaving this Saturday for the Christmas period! Starting to look like the lifts form Soll will not be open for Christmas! Gutted for those who have booked a christmas away!

*hovers finger over panic button

sheesh wrote: »
    *hovers finger over panic button

Don't panic Sheesh, just go! Its not ideal but 10 min transfer to Scheffau & you've loads of snow, craic in Soll will still be the same and the lifts will be open soon. Keep the faith!

As for TO's giving refunds for their busiest period when it's 10 mins to open lifts? Hahahaha ;-)

• Advertisement

Don't panic Sheesh, just go! Its not ideal but 10 min transfer to Scheffau & you've loads of snow, craic in Soll will still be the same and the lifts will be open soon. Keep the faith!

As for TO's giving refunds for their busiest period when it's 10 mins to open lifts? Hahahaha ;-)

Yeah obviously the TO are refunding their busiest week of the year because that 10 min bus ride to 35 km of unlinked slopes is the same as 290km of linked slopes that people paid for!

There is a total of 35km open in the ski welt and 20 of 90 lifts, but obviously fanny everyone should turn up as the ski welts full capacity will fit on that space! Oh and have a look at the temps for the next 3 days high temps up to 10 degrees!!!

Dear oh dear, conditions are terrible everywhere, probably best to be honest, in the spirit of the forum with people rather than pretending that what is open could cater for or provide a good holiday experience, take of the rose tinted glasses and do the right thing about conditions there. A friend of mine has refunded all of her clients bookings for Soll at christmas, as she believes it better than them having a bad experience, and never returning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Yeah obviously the TO are refunding their busiest week of the year because that 10 min bus ride to 35 km of unlinked slopes is the same as 290km of linked slopes that people paid for!

There is a total of 35km open in the ski welt and 20 of 90 lifts, but obviously fanny everyone should turn up as the ski welts full capacity will fit on that space! Oh and have a look at the temps for the next 3 days high temps up to 10 degrees!!!

Dear oh dear, conditions are terrible everywhere, probably best to be honest, in the spirit of the forum with people rather than pretending that what is open could cater for or provide a good holiday experience, take of the rose tinted glasses and do the right thing about conditions there. A friend of mine has refunded all of her clients bookings for Soll at christmas, as she believes it better than them having a bad experience, and never returning
    Yawn fattes,fanny is in soll your not so anyone going to soll base ur decision on Fannys reports.shes honest ,soll ain't open yet but 15 minutes down the road off u go.webcams don't look good but in fairness they don't in the vast majority of resorts currently.the 13/14 soll thread got clogged up with u pooking fun at soll and having pops at fanny and we know what the outcome of that was.snow must be pretty crap where u are ifvyouve nothing better to do

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yawn fattes,fanny is in soll your not so anyone going to soll base ur decision on Fannys reports.shes honest ,soll ain't open yet but 15 minutes down the road off u go.webcams don't look good but in fairness they don't in the vast majority of resorts currently.the 13/14 soll thread got clogged up with u pooking fun at soll and having pops at fanny and we know what the outcome of that was.snow must be pretty crap where u are ifvyouve nothing better to do

your right all TO are refunding their clients, and some privately owned hotels in Soll because the conditions are so good! One such operation owned by a friend of mine and her reports are of terrible conditions on what is open, A quote from her on Sunday. Tell me how wonderful the conditions are again?
    "made a few turns today in Ellmau....3-4 slopes were open, the snow was nass...the slopes was maybe 50% bright compare to normal conditions...
    ok, they made a big effort to open a few lifts and we have to admit that, but the situation is TRAGIC....we need definitely more snow.."

your right all TO are refunding their clients, and some privately owned hotels in Soll because the conditions are so good! One such operation owned by a friend of mine and her reports are of terrible conditions on what is open, A quote from her on Sunday. Tell me how wonderful the conditions are again?
    "made a few turns today in Ellmau....3-4 slopes were open, the snow was nass...the slopes was maybe 50% bright compare to normal conditions...
    ok, they made a big effort to open a few lifts and we have to admit that, but the situation is TRAGIC....we need definitely more snow.."

Who's claiming slopes are wonderfull???.as I said snow must be pretty crap where u are,as it is in most European resorts bar the glaciers if you've nothing better to do.we all know u hate soll so do us all a favour and do one,I couldn't be arsed reading your second hand reports of soll,fanny set this thread up for the benefit of people wanting to go to soll so can you leave it at that,she's there,your not.sure a friend of a friend of mine is in engelberg this week and the resort is a dump,overpriced and full of knobs,snow is crap and pistes like skiing down the street !!

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Who's claiming slopes are wonderfull???.as I said snow must be pretty crap where u are,as it is in most European resorts bar the glaciers if you've nothing better to do.we all know u hate soll so do us all a favour and do one,I couldn't be arsed reading your second hand reports of soll,fanny set this thread up for the benefit of people wanting to go to soll so can you leave it at that,she's there,your not.sure a friend of a friend of mine is in engelberg this week and the resort is a dump,overpriced and full of knobs,snow is crap and pistes like skiing down the street !!

Your right it is bloody pricey, here, the snow below 2,200 meters is shocking, but the snow from 2,200 - 3,300 is ok edging towards decent, the glacier is not bad but limited and Very, VERY busy (Due to the fact that only us and Andermatt are open in the area),below that it is terrible and below 1,300 its non existent and actually like skiing on roads, the resort has opened terrain they probably shouldn't, the biggest event of the year for the resort looks like it will be cancelled, no knobs though sad to disappoint you.

Much like every other resort really, I have friends and colleagues in every major resort in europe and all are saying the same thing, The difference is them and I are not pretending it is worth a family or anyone else not taking a refund from their TO or saying that it is worth shelling out 600 euro -1,100 Euro per head for a weeks skiing right now, in fact I am saying the opposite, because that is the right thing to do. Instead of giving people false hope that when they arrive on Sat everything will be ok after a 10m bus ride.

Well that didn't take long! Thanks Fattes, give my regards to your friend's friend :-)

Well that didn't take long! Thanks Fattes, give my regards to your friend's friend :-)

I said a friend, but Yeah I am sure Lennys opinion counts for nothing in Soll Fanny, but then again you know who he is and how long he has been established there.

So in all honesty Fanny would you recommend a family of 4 to turn down a refund to go ski Christmas week in Soll with the current conditions? Really come on now! Time to drop the rose tinted glasses and be honest with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Tux girl

I said a friend, but Yeah I am sure Lennys opinion counts for nothing in Soll Fanny, but then again you know who he is and how long he has been established there.

So in all honesty Fanny would you recommend a family of 4 to turn down a refund to go ski Christmas week in Soll with the current conditions? Really come on now! Time to drop the rose tinted glasses and be honest with people.

Fattes, what is your problem with Söll?? You always put it down. Have you ever skied there & did you have a bad experience? For someone who considers himself to be an expert on skiing. You seem more like someone with too much time on his hands that likes to annoy people like Fanny who just try and spread the word of a place they are passionate about. What would your sponsors say about all the negativity?
    Nobody has a go at your resort or home slope.
    We all know you don't like Söll god knows why. We live up the valley and always pop down it's a great spot loved by loads of Irish & Uk people.

Thanks to everyone who engages with the true spirit of this thread and these boards.

Fattes you seem to continually escalate my posts and turn them into something completely different to what I actually said. The posters here are well able to make up their own minds about their own particular circumstances.

Yes, I would go. I have never cancelled a trip due to weather conditions, nor would I unless they were life threatening. If I had booked Christmas in a beautiful Austrian village, YES I would go. If I could ski I would ski, and if I couldn;t ski I would seek a refund on the ski-specific items but I would absolutely go, drink a lot of hot chocolate, eat a lot of schnitzel and apfel strudel, go out at night, meet new people and I would ENJOY MYSELF (imagine that!).

Obviously I can appreciate that other people would do different, and OBVIOUSLY that's a decision each individual should take for themselves.

To everyone who is on this thread, I say keep the faith- that's always my outlook, and I'm certainly not going to change it for some eejit who says I should. I will always be optimistic, even when the mountain is greener on the other side. So there's your full disclosure. Right now the lifts are closed, so if you can't go UP the mountain, you have to go around. Simple as that. Soll is still Soll, still great fun, still building up to the season, still smells of Weirauch and gluhwein and high spirits and FUN.

So there ya go. I'm not hanging around to respond to the aggression on this thread- I had a full season of it last year and it's nonsense. So if you need me, PM me, I don;t have time to defend myself after every single comment I post is torn apart and misquoted by the same individual over and over again.

LOVE YOU ALL!!!! :-)

xxxxxxxxxx

• Advertisement

Thanks to everyone who engages with the true spirit of this thread and these boards.

Fattes you seem to continually escalate my posts and turn them into something completely different to what I actually said. The posters here are well able to make up their own minds about their own particular circumstances.

Yes, I would go. I have never cancelled a trip due to weather conditions, nor would I unless they were life threatening. If I had booked Christmas in a beautiful Austrian village, YES I would go. If I could ski I would ski, and if I couldn;t ski I would seek a refund on the ski-specific items but I would absolutely go, drink a lot of hot chocolate, eat a lot of schnitzel and apfel strudel, go out at night, meet new people and I would ENJOY MYSELF (imagine that!).

Obviously I can appreciate that other people would do different, and OBVIOUSLY that's a decision each individual should take for themselves.

To everyone who is on this thread, I say keep the faith- that's always my outlook, and I'm certainly not going to change it for some eejit who says I should. I will always be optimistic, even when the mountain is greener on the other side. So there's your full disclosure. Right now the lifts are closed, so if you can't go UP the mountain, you have to go around. Simple as that. Soll is still Soll, still great fun, still building up to the season, still smells of Weirauch and gluhwein and high spirits and FUN.

So there ya go. I'm not hanging around to respond to the aggression on this thread- I had a full season of it last year and it's nonsense. So if you need me, PM me, I don;t have time to defend myself after every single comment I post is torn apart and misquoted by the same individual over and over again.

LOVE YOU ALL!!!! :-)

xxxxxxxxxx

Gwann fanny,great post especially the last bit.had the pleasure of meeting up with u last year and your info and advice on the soll thread is a huge help to anyone going .your our eyes and ears on the ground over there and hopefully your posts and updates continue.screw the begrudgers,for anyone who dosnt want to contribute or has no interest in soll there is an unfollow thread option,I suggest u avail of it

Advertisement