Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tánaiste Moany Burton: IW protesters 'seem to have extremely expensive phones'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The problem is that in Ireland we still don't really see 'social security' in the same way as many continental European countries tend to.

People here still see it as a sort of 'charity' which comes from the fact that we really didn't have a social security system in the modern sense until relatively late. Most advanced European countries developed very comprehensive social security models in the immediate aftermath of WWII.

Most of them see social services like creches etc as something they pay for collectively though their taxes and expect good services back and that's why they pay high taxes.

In Ireland we tend to still be stuck in the 19th century poor law model to some degree i.e. that welfare is for 'paupers' and that working people shouldn't be getting any social services. I think many English speaking countries are stuck in this kind of mode of thinking and it's largely driven by American conservative politics. In many ways the United States' social policy is where Europe was in about 1890, just with modern technology.

You have to move to a hybrid where we have a notion that you're paying into a social insurance system that actually provides community based services to everyone rather than just a system that has handouts for poor people.

We create umpteen poverty traps and disincentives to take up jobs because of how the system works i.e. if you're completely unemployed, you get access to lots of services where as if you're trying to start into the workplace or you're on a low income or a medium income, you're basically left to fend for yourself.

The system needs to be completely redesigned from the ground up with a holistic, universal type approach that removes all these poverty traps and two-tierism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Jesus few a politician annoys me as much as Burton. Her stance on social welfare is basically everyone is a fraudster and we will get you. She has actually no interest in overhauling the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

water - check
    sandwiches - check
    banner - check
    fully charged up nokia 106 - check

:pac:

A 106 .....wait...wait ...wait....I have a prefectly good 3310 with a cracked screen I can lend ya......before your credibility is destroyed by that 106..... :D

It's all about da bass !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Jesus few a politician annoys me as much as Burton. Her stance on social welfare is basically everyone is a fraudster and we will get you. She has actually no interest in overhauling the system.
    other than tinkering with it, no she doesnt. But she has done a bloody good job of defending the welfare budget... I think Labour are becoming far more realistic now that they are in office!

She should have Social welfare checks at the protests to find out are people claiming with these expensive phones.

Her comment is ignorant she thinks it's only poor people are protesting who should shut up and pay the charges instead of spending it on phones.

She's a moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

rob316 wrote: »
    She should have Social welfare checks at the protests to find out are people claiming with these expensive phones.

Her comment is ignorant she thinks it's only poor people are protesting who should shut up and pay the charges instead of spending it on phones.

She's a moron.

Thought their voter base was mostly poorer people?or have they ambitions of becoming the new FF?

kneemos wrote: »
    Thought their voter base was mostly poorer people?or have they ambitions of becoming the new FF?

All cut from the same cloth the lot of them. Votes from anyone will do. Totally out of touch with the working man.

Why say anything at all. Sensitive issue just adding heat to the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

rob316 wrote: »
    Her stance on social welfare is basically everyone is a fraudster and we will get you. She has actually no interest in overhauling the system.

She's done a pretty good job so far .
    and yet she held back on a whole lot of cuts .
    as she's stated welfare should be short term support not a lifestyle or career choice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gatling wrote: »
    She's done a pretty good job so far .
    and yet she held back on a whole lot of cuts .
    as she's stated welfare should be short term support not a lifestyle or career choice

Exactly considering we have one of the higest social welfare payments in Europe Burton has actually fought her corner quite well with regards to fending off cuts, however people only ever see the failures cus everyone is always the most hard done by in their own eyes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly considering we have one of the higest social welfare payments in Europe Burton has actually fought her corner quite well with regards to fending off cuts, however people only ever see the failures cus everyone is always the most hard done by in their own eyes.

Especially the well off.

• Advertisement

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Especially the well off.

Are the well off spending a lifetime on welfare .
    Complaining about the wasting of tax payers money.

Is there something wrong about people who are highly educated and highly skilled in what they do earning higher paying salaries .

Especially the well off.

Ooooh sarcasm, thank's for proving my point.

Im curious as what you class as well off though is it anyone on the highest tax band?

Are the well off spending a lifetime on welfare .
    Complaining about the wasting of tax payers money

This is what I mean. Very, very few people spend there lives on the dole. The rich like to paint anyone in receipt of social welfare as scroungers when this is not the case at all. Then they complain about an increase in taxes on their overpaid jobs.

Ooooh sarcasm, thank's for proving my point.

Im curious as what you class as well off though is it anyone on the highest tax band?

How do you know I'm not well off? Not all of us look down on those less well off as scummy scroungers.

This is what I mean. Very, very few people spend there lives on the dole. The rich like to paint anyone in receipt of social welfare as scroungers when this is not the case at all. Then they complain about an increase in taxes on their overpaid jobs.

At the height of the boom 60+ 000 stayed long term unemployed .
    Very few people yeah

Very few people yeah

It was far less than that, under 10,000 in fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Not a chance.

How do you know I'm not well off? Not all of us look down on those less well off as scummy scroungers.

I never said you weren't, I just made a comment that everyone complains that they are hard done by which you then turned around to effectively say "but the rich complain the most"

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Not a chance.

It was, very few people. Even 60,000 people isn't that much. The way people go on is as if everyone on the dole never worked before.

We can all quote figures for long term unemployed, but there is a section of society that, through no fault of their own are unemployable. No matter what we think, there are many thousands that are being failed by the system. Many have health problems, physical or mental that are not allowed or considered bad enough for disability allowance. There are many others who lack the social skills necessary for them to gain and keep employment. The number of chancers is really quiet small.

• Advertisement

It was, very few people. Even 60,000 people isn't that much. The way people go on is as if everyone on the dole never worked before.

So it wasn't under 10,000?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Very few people yeah
    [Citation Needed]

I never said you weren't, I just made a comment that everyone complains that they are hard done by which you then turned around to effectively say "but the rich complain the most"

Well it's the truth, considering how tough some people have it, those comfortably well off really have nothing to complain about. Yet they never miss an oportunity to.

We can all quote figures for long term unemployed, but there is a section of society that, through no fault of their own are unemployable. No matter what we think, there are many thousands that are being failed by the system. Many have health problems, physical or mental that are not allowed or considered bad enough for disability allowance. There are many others who lack the social skills necessary for them to gain and keep employment. The number of chancers is really quiet small.

Yet they all are able to sleep with a roof over their head every night.

And they arent dying of starvation or freezing to death.

So who is giving them this help they need?

yipeeeee wrote: »
    So it wasn't under 10,000?

It was but even the 60,000 figure you believe isn't a lot.

It was but even the 60,000 figure you believe isn't a lot.

Unemployment was the lowest at 4.5% during the boom.

A simple google told me you just made all that up.

You know just as well as anyone, that 'Unemployed' does not equal 'Long Term Unemployed'.

Wrong

[Citation Needed]

Looks like your on the wrong website

Iiki a little clue if it helps.

• Advertisement

Ok, two myths to do away with here:
    1: Unemployed does not equal Long Term Unemployed, and
    2: Long Term Unemployed does not equal Does-Not-Want-Work/Scrounger

How anyone can believe either of those things, I don't know - just incredibly ignorant.

Advertisement