Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 16 - Russian Grand Prix

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

mickdw wrote: »
    Ya but nobody knew what the tyres would do, how hard they could be pushed and still get to the end in good condition.
    You also need to consider that he had to come through much of the field while ensuring he didn't push the tyre and also ensuring he didn't flat spot one again. It was a good drove but I have a feeling he could have pushed line hell , pitted with 10 or 15 laps to go, push like hell again and still finish where he did.

I guess... I think he skipped a lot of the big guns while they were in the pits through. They didnt show him in any interesting on track battles that I saw while fast forwarding through the race :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I guess... I think he skipped a lot of the big guns while they were in the pits through. They didnt show him in any interesting on track battles that I saw while fast forwarding through the race :P

Yes he skipped everyone that was within 30 seconds of him at the pit stop window which would be the top half of the field up to Bottas. Still, it was far from the ideal strategy and he still came out second which was a good save.
    Its going to be down to the last race now with the double points available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ya but nobody knew what the tyres would do, how hard they could be pushed and still get to the end in good condition.
    You also need to consider that he had to come through much of the field while ensuring he didn't push the tyre and also ensuring he didn't flat spot one again. It was a good drove but I have a feeling he could have pushed line hell , pitted with 10 or 15 laps to go, push like hell again and still finish where he did.

But sure who was going to pose any problems for Rosberg once he had stopped early? Every single car in front of him was slower, barring one. The fact he came through the field is nothing short of what I'd expect in that car. The fact the tires lasted 50 laps has very little to do with Rosberg imo, & is instead a demonstration of the wrong tyres being chosen by Pirelli (I know it wasn't their fault really, they had no track to analyse & determine which tyres to bring). I don't mean to take anything away from Rosberg, but I didn't see anything during the race that many other drivers wouldn't be able to replicate in the same circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Myrddin wrote: »
    But sure who was going to pose any problems for Rosberg once he had stopped early? Every single car in front of him was slower, barring one. The fact he came through the field is nothing short of what I'd expect in that car. The fact the tires lasted 50 laps has very little to do with Rosberg imo, & is instead a demonstration of the wrong tyres being chosen by Pirelli (I know it wasn't their fault really, they had no track to analyse & determine which tyres to bring). I don't mean to take anything away from Rosberg, but I didn't see anything during the race that many other drivers wouldn't be able to replicate in the same circumstances

Williams had the identical opportunity with massa and had the added benefit of having planned the early stop and they couldn't make it work. They didn't see that the harder tyre could be made last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Williams had the identical opportunity with massa and had the added benefit of having planned the early stop and they couldn't make it work. They didn't see that the harder tyre could be made last.

In other words Williams gambled & lost. They lost because they started off on the prime tyre & switched to the option early on & as it turns out, the prime was so durable it lasted 50 laps (& would have lasted quite a lot more by the looks of it). I don't attribute this to any particular skill on the part of Rosberg, yes he minded them, but that's all he had to worry about. He has by far the best car on the grid, had the use of DRS, & had the benefit of skipping plenty of cars during their stops (I don't think they'd have posed any problems for him anyway, he'd have got 2nd regardless).

Getting back to Massa, I was expecting him to be able to do a lot more. He couldn't even get that car into the points! Granted, perhaps the strategy was the wrong one, but still, he didn't impress. Like several others here, I'm becoming increasingly aware how much Bottas is showing up Massa. Yes a good chunk of that id sown to bad luck on Massa's part, but when he does have half a chance on the track, I have yet to see him really seize it over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Am I the only person here who never really rated Massa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

You can't deny he had his moments. He was a world champion for a few corners so he must have been doing something right. Since 09 hes been poor, albeit in poor cars generally with teammates who get preference over him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Myrddin wrote: »
    Getting back to Massa, I was expecting him to be able to do a lot more. He couldn't even get that car into the points! Granted, perhaps the strategy was the wrong one, but still, he didn't impress. Like several others here, I'm becoming increasingly aware how much Bottas is showing up Massa. Yes a good chunk of that id sown to bad luck on Massa's part, but when he does have half a chance on the track, I have yet to see him really seize it over the last few months.

As recently as the Singapore GP Massa scored 10 out of 10 on Autosport driver ratings - a 10 is a rarity from Autosport for any driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I always thought of him as a reasonable second driver - never a team leader type. He fitted well as back-up to Schumacher for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Always liked Massa, did well to come back after being hit by flying debris that time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement