Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 16 - Russian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Great Qualfying. Felt for Bottas really thought he would be on pole.

With Hamilton getting pole Rosberg has a huge race ahead of him tomorrow. He has to win. Even if something happens to Hamiltons car, second for Rosberg won't do. He needs to win for his confidence. If he doesn't he can kiss the WDC goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Great Qualfying. Felt for Bottas really thought he would be on pole.

With Hamilton getting pole Rosberg has a huge race ahead of him tomorrow. He has to win. Even if something happens to Hamiltons car, second for Rosberg won't do. He needs to win for his confidence. If he doesn't he can kiss the WDC goodbye.

Ye I was gutted for Bottas, hope Rosberg does get the win, want the title fight to keep going until the last race!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,328 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ye I was gutted for Bottas, hope Rosberg does get the win, want the title fight to keep going until the last race!

Double points remember at last race so it's hard to see it not being still up for grabs at that race.
    Imagine if Hamilton was to break down during the last race. There would be a melt down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

mickdw wrote: »
    Double points remember at last race so it's hard to see it not being still up for grabs at that race.
    Imagine if Hamilton was to break down during the last race. There would be a melt down.

Yeah I can see this happening either Hamilton or rosberg winning the championship till the last race only to loose it due to car failure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Safety car was out five laps from the end in both the gp3 and gp2 earlier, so they were being careful recovering cars

Thought the racing was good at the start and the end, nice wide track, hopefully it will be a good f1 race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That's Rosberg's goose cooked, then - tried too hard on turn 2, flat-spotted his tyres, straight in to pits for a change.

edit: but now they're trying to get him to the end on this set. Maybe he'll land on his feet?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 39,694 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Disaster for rosberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rosberg showing his lack of brains there prob blown his day

Good racing on the opening lap certainly. The track seems really clean and allowing for a lot of varying lines through the long bends.

Rosberg done ****ed up big time. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,694 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

"We need to go the end on this set." Oh balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

These tarmac run offs are a joke. Lack of gravel and grass run off areas are ruining these newer tracks.

Fair play Vergne!

These tarmac run offs are a joke. Lack of gravel and grass run off areas are ruining these newer tracks.

Usually I'd agree but the racing would've been a lot more 1-by-1 on the opening laps if there were walls or gravel traps all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Rosberg didn't get punished half-enough for that harebrained move into turn 2.

Ricciardo seemed a little on the aggressive side off the line. Almost put Kimi in the wall and cost him several positions and later gave Vettel a little bump.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

??

What?

It was the track I was speaking about, not that he broke any rules. Put a gravel pit on that turn and he wouldn't have chanced it (and probably blown his race). Even a Monza-type chicane in the run-off and he wouldn't have chanced it.

Thought there was a rule that you need to spend a certain percent of the race on each tire compound, didn't think Rosberg would be allowed mainly use 1 set

It was the track I was speaking about, not that he broke any rules. Put a gravel pit on that turn and he wouldn't have chanced it (and probably blown his race).

So gravel traps would've saved his race, how would that be more punishment? He didn't "try" anything mad, he was alongside and locked up his tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Thought there was a rule that you need to spend a certain percent of the race on each tire compound, didn't think Rosberg would be allowed mainly use 1 set

No. You just have to use both. he started on Options and jumped onto primes. Rule satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭bnt

His pit stop was several seconds longer than it should have been, he was held in place by other cars. Hare-brained, sure, but I think he feels he has to try something to stop Hamilton running away with the season.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

_rebelkid wrote: »
    No. You just have to use both. he started on Options and jumped onto primes. Rule satisfied

I was thinking of the proposed rules below, obviously never happened, 50% on prime 30% option
    http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/29/mandatory-pitstops-tire-distance-limits-proposed-for-2014-f1-season/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I was thinking of the proposed rules below, obviously never happened, 50% on prime 30% option
    http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/29/mandatory-pitstops-tire-distance-limits-proposed-for-2014-f1-season/

Was there a rule at one time that you had to do 2 laps on each type of tyres - option and prime ?

So gravel traps would've saved his race, how would that be more punishment? He didn't "try" anything mad, he was alongside and locked up his tyres.

The risk for pulling a move like he did is much higher with a gravel pit or something else in the run-off.

That particular corner as it is right now has low risk, high reward. Only for he flat spotted he was free to perform the same move next lap (and the next etc etc) until eventually it stuck. Every time it didn't work he just gave up a place and life went on as normal. There was no risk to not keeping it between the lines.
    bnt wrote: »
    His pit stop was several seconds longer than it should have been, he was held in place by other cars. Hare-brained, sure, but I think he feels he has to try something to stop Hamilton running away with the season.

I'm watching a slightly delayed feed - I hadn't seen his pit time when I posted. Still, the slow pit was down to luck

Infoanon wrote: »
    Was there a rule at one time that you had to do 2 laps on each type of tyres - option and prime ?

Possibly to stop cars stopping on the last lap to satisfy rule to use both compounds

The risk for pulling a move like he did is much higher with a gravel pit or something else in the run-off.

That particular corner as it is right now has low risk, high reward. Only for he flat spotted he was free to perform the same move next lap (and the next etc etc) until eventually it stuck. Every time it didn't work he just gave up a place and life went on as normal. There was no risk to not keeping it between the lines.

Yep, he's driving to the track conditions. Have you seen the replays btw? He didn't just lob one up the inside at the last second, he was easily alongside and the lock-up was almost unrelated, or certainly the magnitude of the lock-up was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Did Massa lock up as well or why did he pit so early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That onboard with Hamilton was depressing. Looks like a slow down lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

We meet again Mr Bond

Advertisement