Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 16 - Russian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The days of Senna, Shumacher, Irvine etc with fuel stops. Tip another car now and theres a stewards enquiry.

Is that 92-94 or 84-2012? Which tips/stewards enquiries are making it boring compared to before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

It's a great track don't get me wrong but they knew on Friday they could do one stops and the 60km pit lane speed also played into the one stop strategy. All in all I think they all needed a quiet race after last weekend. Hopefully next year Pirelli bring a better selection of rubber. As for Jensen he most certainly deserves a drive with McClaren next year in the Honda powered car. He's done enough for me but he was Whitmarshes pick not Ron Denis. If he's not there it's hard to see him racing anywhere else in F1

Williams or Lotus could be an option yet for Button. If it's not easy to stay with McLaren I don't think he's going to bother with next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Williams or Lotus could be an option yet for Button. If it's not easy to stay with McLaren I don't think he's going to bother with next year though.

His body language during his interview on the BBC forum was indicative of a driver who is going to retire - hopefully he does get a drive in s decent car next year , Jenson did after all outscore Lewis in the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Put on the replay before I read the thread so I wouldn't spoil the race. Wish I had read the thread first now. Seriously boring race. Completely tuned out by about lap 15. It was on in the background but I paid more attention to browsing boards and adverts.:(
    That was the first time I left F1 and watched a vintage tractor run pass by the house for ten mins...
    Do you have a huuuuuuuge house or was it just an extremely slow tractor that it took 10 mins to pass by? :pac:
    bbability wrote: »
    As for Jensen he most certainly deserves a drive with McClaren next year in the Honda powered car.
    I don't mean to pick on you, but every time I see it it bugs me. There's no capital C in McLaren, and its Jenson Button - Jensen is a car maker ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

And a vintage tractor run consists of a convoy of slow moving farm machines, usually doing these runs for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Track is nice but the race was boring. Shame nico messed up could have been a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Top Dog

And a vintage tractor run consists of a convoy of slow moving farm machines, usually doing these runs for charity.
    Sarcasm was intended by the use of the :pac: smiley there mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Top Dog wrote: »
    Put on the replay before I read the thread so I wouldn't spoil the race. Wish I had read the thread first now. Seriously boring race. Completely tuned out by about lap 15. It was on in the background but I paid more attention to browsing boards and adverts.:(

Do you have a huuuuuuuge house or was it just an extremely slow tractor that it took 10 mins to pass by? :pac:

I don't mean to pick on you, but every time I see it it bugs me. There's no capital C in McLaren, and its Jenson Button - Jensen is a car maker ;)

Correct my lord.. My bloody predictive text check on both occasions. I spell something wrong once and it remembers the wrong spelling every time.. Apologies. Oh and I forgot Lotus have the Mercedes engine next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Kobayashi's retirement seems a bit fishy. He told BBC 5 live: "Nothing wrong with the car. The team asked me to stop the car to save mileage." Apparently they didn't want to put any more mileage on parts?!

Then the team said: "The reason for @kamui_kobayashi's retirement was that his brakes were overheating and it was too dangerous for him to carry on racing."

So afterwards Kamui sorted his story out and went with the overheating brakes problem.

Sounds like to me they can't develop anything else and have limited parts for the rest of the season. Let's hope they don't have any damage to parts for the last three races.

Linky

Edit: I'm also thinking if they can't race there'll be a big fine which in their current circumstances is a massive problem.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Nice shot

BzwZdwQIUAIVeDb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Did Williams not already confirm Bottas and Massa for next year.

Edit; They confirmed it on their website on 7th Sep.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Boring race. Was really hoping for a safety car after about lap 40 to have an exciting end. Rosberg did well to do 52 laps on a set of tyres. Pirelli got it wrong of course as EJ said he was talking to them and they didn't know what to expect so they went conservative. I thought RBR would have been in the top 5 but they didn't seem to have any pace as neither did Ferrari which probably isn't a surprise. Top 5 were all Mercedes powered cars.

Constructors title done and as I said earlier in this thread and my opinion hasn't changed if Nico doesn't win the race the WDC is over.

As many have said Jenson looked like he'd been given his P45 which is sad. A lot of people like Jenson myself included and he has out performed his team mate by far this year which is to be expected. Would like to think he'll have a drive next year but can't see it happening.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Kobayashi's retirement seems a bit fishy. He told BBC 5 live: "Nothing wrong with the car. The team asked me to stop the car to save mileage." Apparently they didn't want to put any more mileage on parts?!

Then the team said: "The reason for @kamui_kobayashi's retirement was that his brakes were overheating and it was too dangerous for him to carry on racing."

So afterwards Kamui sorted his story out and went with the overheating brakes problem.

Sounds like to me they can't develop anything else and have limited parts for the rest of the season. Let's hope they don't have any damage to parts for the last three races.

Linky

Edit: I'm also thinking if they can't race there'll be a big fine which in their current circumstances is a massive problem.

Will the cars even return to Leafield or stay in Europe ?

Infoanon wrote: »
    Will the cars even return to Leafield or stay in Europe ?

It's Austin next in 3 weeks - is returning to UK risky that they might have more parts confiscated?! Best just hide out in one of Bernie's trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

There's been reports as well that Caterham have been using parts that have gone over their operating lifespan in order to save money. Kobayashi was reported to have made an off-camera comment after the race that he "regrets returning to F1."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

There's been reports as well that Caterham have been using parts that have gone over their operating lifespan in order to save money. Kobayashi was reported to have made an off-camera comment after the race that he "regrets returning to F1."

BBC's Jennie Gownasked him if it was worth giving up a Ferrari sports car seat for this and he said it's not really racing. I don't think we'll see him around next year, unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

_rebelkid wrote: »
    The Drivers...

BzxVvsvIQAEaoXj.jpg

and the Engineers...

Is that a real pic?

any way great track, great watching the cars going around turn 3 off camber. very dull race ... you know its dull when the commentators are hoping for a safety car. My prediction 4 months ago for a red bull fightback has not happened, with Danny R soundly beating Seb. Very surprised.

Not sure about Jenson, 2 races in a row where he ran in the top 3 on merit, and he may be looking for a new career. Would you keep him or Magn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

h3000 wrote: »
    That's the impressive bit.

Meh... He seemed to have plently of tires left at the end. Its not like he was fighting to bring the car home. Probably had another 20 laps in them...

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What did he expect in all fairness? Not like the Caterham was ever going to be pushing for podiums.
    We don't know what's going on behind the scenes in fairness, and what we do know doesn't exactly scream that it's a positive corporate environment. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Is that a real pic?

Straight from Vergne's Instagram.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes in fairness, and what we do know doesn't exactly scream that it's a positive corporate environment. :P

True. The cars left Sochi and went to Kolles' base in Germany rather than Leafield. Speaks volumes that does.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

It is bizzare that people, including christian horner live on bbc, were hoping for a safety car. A safety car goes on track only if there has been an incident or there is likely to be an incident (due to a broken down car in a dangerous spot for example). Are people seriously hoping something would happen when just last week Bianchi was basically cabbaged for the rest of his existence???? As for the Russians, good to see someone finally respect a national anthem, but would be way better, in future, if each team just stayed at their cars for the duration.

As for the Russians, good to see someone finally respect a national anthem, but would be way better, in future, if each team just stayed at their cars for the duration.

What happened was that the drivers moved to the front of the grid to remember Jules Bianchi. Due to someone not getting the memo, the Russian national anthem struck up at the same time. Whether this was done deliberately or not is open to debate but it looked like the drivers were congregating to acknowledge the anthem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

What happened was that the drivers moved to the front of the grid to remember Jules Bianchi. Due to someone not getting the memo, the Russian national anthem struck up at the same time. Whether this was done deliberately or not is open to debate but it looked like the drivers were congregating to acknowledge the anthem.
    Did they not say that's how they are doing it from now on to respect the hosts anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,139 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

iano.p wrote: »
    Did they not say that's how they are doing it from now on to respect the hosts anthem.

Yes, that's the way I heard it

I do think it's better to see them gather together for the national anthem but seemed to take ages to organise and must have been a bit of a walk for the drivers at the back of the grid :pac:

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What did he expect in all fairness? Not like the Caterham was ever going to be pushing for podiums.

An opportunity to race in F1 and make an impression that might lead to a better drive, I doubt he expected to be getting a call on the eve of a race weekend to tell him if he has a drive or not, and then to find the car was (allegedly) under powered and then asked to retire the car with the official reason as overheating brakes...

To quote Autosport 'Russia was a waste of time for Kobayashi'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

As for the Russians, good to see someone finally respect a national anthem, but would be way better, in future, if each team just stayed at their cars for the duration.

In fairness, it is a great anthem!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Meh... He seemed to have plently of tires left at the end. Its not like he was fighting to bring the car home. Probably had another 20 laps in them...

Ya but nobody knew what the tyres would do, how hard they could be pushed and still get to the end in good condition.
    You also need to consider that he had to come through much of the field while ensuring he didn't push the tyre and also ensuring he didn't flat spot one again. It was a good drove but I have a feeling he could have pushed line hell , pitted with 10 or 15 laps to go, push like hell again and still finish where he did.

• Advertisement

Kobayashi has his own video blog clips for when he finishes up his races - he doesn't seem to want to go into any details as to why he retired. English comments from 1:38

Advertisement