Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 16 - Russian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

CFlat wrote: »
    Good old Vitaly Petrov telling it as it is. Suzie Perry changed the conversation fairly lively.

Its a nice looking circuit all right.

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

vettel out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The surface is looking good, more grip than expected for such a "green" circuit.

Rosberg seems to be saving the car and himself for Q3. Vettel needs to do something soon or he'll be stuck ... nope - P11!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

christy c wrote: »
    What did he say?

That money is more important than talent in today's F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

bnt wrote: »
    The surface is looking good, more grip than expected for such a "green" circuit.

Rosberg seems to be saving the car and himself for Q3. Vettel needs to do something soon or he'll be stuck ... nope - P11!

GP3 race massively improved the surface. GP2 race should do the same tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

That money is more important than talent in today's F1.

So it was talent that got him the seat in Caterham... hang on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

christy c wrote: »
    What did he say?

EJ asked him if will he be back in F1. Vitaly said something like, " well you know F1 isnt necessarily about talent anymore and its also very political".

EJ looked like he'd just got a kick in his cojones and SP nervously adjusted her sexy glasses and changed the subject.( I added the last bit for affect).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,724 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Danill Kvyat done very good with a better time than both red Bulls. Vetel not in Q3 again.

Ms

Buton doing good. Aww hard luck Bottas he nearly got pole except for the slide at the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Awful end to the lap from Bottas! Might have split the Mercs only for that. :(

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Buton doing good. Aww hard luck Bottas he nearly got pole except for the slide at the end.

I've a feeling that Bottas is the man who'll deny Alonso his dream of a Mercedes seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think we'll be seeing Bottas' last corner in many replays: though it cost him a possible front row position, it looked great! :D

So a Hamilton-Rosberg 1-2, then Bottas & Button, with Kvyat in 5th. Button needs to impress, he's at risk of not having a drive next year ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Ms

Think this could be a really good race hopefully. Would like to see Button get on the podium but don,t think its going to happen this race. Its still good o see the McClarens doing better do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Awful end to the lap from Bottas! Might have split the Mercs only for that. :(

I think he might have even been on for pole, he was purple in Sectors 1 & 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

Have McLaren not confirmed their driver line-up for 2015 yet cause the two drivers sounded like they were just handed their P45s?

Ms

I've a feeling that Bottas is the man who'll deny Alonso his dream of a Mercedes seat.
    ]
    Oh I think if Alonso goes anywhere next year it wll either be to McClaren or maybe one of the smaller teams or he might have to take a year out. There was even a rumour he might go to Lotus beccause they will have Mercedes engines. I think him and Jensen at McClaren would be great. Ferrari actually let Alonso go because they did not think he was commited enough to the team after he had been having talks with Mercedes without telling them. Alonso has said he just wants to go somewhere where he can win another championship before he gets too old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

AMKC wrote: »
    Ferrari actually let Alonso go because they did not think he was commited enough to the team

I think if anything, Alonso's problem is that he has over committed to Ferrari. Five years & nothing to show for it.

bnt wrote: »
    I think we'll be seeing Bottas' last corner in many replays: though it cost him a possible front row position, it looked great! :D

So a Hamilton-Rosberg 1-2, then Bottas & Button, with Kvyat in 5th. Button needs to impress, he's at risk of not having a drive next year ...

Button will have a drive if he particularly wants one. He's 82-39 up against Magnussen and Magnussen has looked very good at times.

Ms

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think if anything, Alonso's problem is that he has over committed to Ferrari. Five years & nothing to show for it.[
    /QUOTE]

Very true and its going to be at least 2more years before they are competitive again according to the new boss. Thats propably why Alonso,s commitment to the team has dwindelled and why he is happy to get out of there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Button got one of his best qualifying positions for a long time, but he was remarkably downbeat in the post session interview on BBC, very negative about his performance, and the recent mistakes he'd made, given that his grid position is the best it's been all season, I have to wonder what's been said to him by the team.

Both DC and EJ commented on it, and were surprised by his demeanour, so clearly there's something going on behind the scenes, which is not helping the situation.

Yes, Magnussen has had a good season as a rookie, but Jenson has put a lot more points on the board than Magnussen, and McLaren are going to need some real experience on board next year to get the best out of their new combination, and JB for me is the driver with the better all round experience, and I think that's going to be needed to make the new car work.

Have to admit I find myself wondering if Jenson has been shafted on the way things looked earlier.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'm hoping EJ will mention Andrea de Cesaris during the BBC coverage this weekend.

He actually said quite a nice few things about him. Jordan was obviously fond of him. They showed a few clips of him overtaking in the 191. That really was a beautiful car.

It's a pity if Button is out of a drive. I've always liked him and he generally comes across as one of the less 'up themselves' drivers.

I remember seeing him in the wet at Spa in 2000 where he impressed me by being utterly unafraid of Eau Rouge. Only him, Schumi, Hakkinen and Verstappen seemed to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and throw it at the corner. Everyone else seemed to be having second thoughts about it.

He impressed me again at Barcelona in 2002 as he hustled his Renault like a man possessed, short-shifting like mad down the main straight trying to keep a pack of cars behind him for lap after lap until he retired late in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

He actually said quite a nice few things about him. Jordan was obviously fond of him. They showed a few clips of him overtaking in the 191. That really was a beautiful car.

I just watched part of the build-up a few minutes ago where EJ was talking about Andrea. The footage with him driving the 191 battling against Nelson Piquet looked like it was the '91 Belgian GP.

The 191 was a beautiful car for sure. Was the 1991 Autosport F1 Racing Car of the Year :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Since Lotterer embarrassed him at Spa, Ericssen has been improving every time.
    Defiantly. Isn't Toto his manager also? His talent would have him a shoe in anyway. If Hamilton makes way for Alonso, it will be him following to ball because why would Lewis leave otherwise. Would he demand less money than Lewis and would he cause fewer headaches for Paddy and Toto. I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gillespy wrote: »
    Since Lotterer embarrassed him at Spa, Ericssen has been improving every time.

It seems they have got a handle on the braking system, now giving the driver more reliable feel etc and that it seems is making all the difference for Ericssen.
    Good to see.

BBC live this weekend.
    Think I will watch it there for a change.
    Eddie will surely drop a few nuggets re driver moves etc. He is seldom wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I think until the top teams confirms who's with who no one will be saying a thing. Hamilton yet to commit to Mercedes. I was hoping JB would get a crack in the Williams next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

mickdw wrote: »
    It seems they have got a handle on the braking system, now giving the driver more reliable feel etc and that it seems is making all the difference for Ericssen.
    Good to see.
    Ted talked about it in the notebook. They've sacrificed harvesting electrical power to give him brakes he can trust. It is nice to see. No one wants to see drivers struggling like he was all year.

Appentenly, there are people out there saying Kyvat ran Super Softs disguised as Softs. That's the latest conspiracy theory according to Ted.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Ted talked about it in the notebook. They've sacrificed harvesting electrical power to give him brakes he can trust. It is nice to see. No one wants to see drivers struggling like he was all year.

Appentenly, there are people out there saying Kyvat ran Super Softs disguised as Softs. That's the latest conspiracy theory according to Ted.

I wouldn't put it beyond the powers that be in f1 to facilitate such an arrangement to build the home interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it beyond the powers that be in f1 to facilitate such an arrangement to build the home interest.

While I'd be the first to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon I reckon its a combination of it being a new track/level playing field, the guy being on a huge high joining RB and it being his home race. Also being a second off pole and half a second ahead of your team mate wouldn't be that unusual.

Advertisement