Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 16 - Russian Grand Prix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

It wasn't a good GP at all. I stand by my original lap 1 thoughts but I really have to commend Nico for an absolutely fantastic recovery to get to P2; Massa had all race to do something similar and only snaked up to 11th, Rosberg had a great drive

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That was the first time I left F1 and watched a vintage tractor run pass by the house for ten mins...

Was it a New Holland, or a John Deere or was it something else? Do tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Putin handing out the trophies is a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Was it a New Holland, or a John Deere or was it something else? Do tell.

Lots of red and green ones. Think they were marrusias and caterhams :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That was awful

For sure. I should have watched BTCC instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Does Toto Wolff do McBains voice in the Simpsons?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You'd swear Button retired on the first lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Suzi Perry is the best thing about the bbc coverage today ;) dam those glasses and white slacks. Track needs to be shorter with less durable tyres then it could be a good race and track.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Track needs to be shorter with less durable tyres then it could be a good race and track.
    Well, as Suzi & co. said, Pirelli and the teams were dealing with an unknown track and their tyre formulations erred on the side of caution. Which doesn't mean that the teams had no options, but by the time most of them saw that the Soft tyres were lasting well, they had to go to Primes anyway. It will be different next year.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Apart from the opening laps that was shíte. :(

Nice to see Bottas slide through the last corner again to grab the fastest lap.

Was Rosberg getting boos again on the podium? Button must know his P45 is in the post. He aint happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

_rebelkid wrote: »
    How many people would be losing their sh*t right now if it was Hamilton that had come from P20 to P2...

Probably the same amount of people that would be berating him for ruining his own race by boiling his tyres. I don't think Rosberg coming from last to 2nd was in any way surprising being honest, with the fastest car on the grid & having near zero degradation it was inevitable, & what I'd have expected. Fifty odd laps on the same set of tyres just tells me Pirelli were overly conservative, rather then Rosberg doing anything special. Were it Hamilton in that situation, I'd have the exact same thoughts...the car & the circumstances would have meant coming from last to 2nd was nothing less than what was achievable.

Pretty dull race otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Braking and turning right is Rosberg's achilles heel. It's yet another case of Rosberg bottling a wheel to wheel battle with Hamilton. Great recovery but got a bit of luck with the tyres lasting the whole race. Ballsy move on Bottas too. Hamilton had it all under control. Disappointing Bottas couldn't mount more of a challenge. Williams seem content with that, beating Ferrari is their goal this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Guys, before the race they were mentioning how it was almost certain that a safety car would be deployed. What did they mean? Were they predicting a crash or incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

walshb wrote: »
    Guys, before the race they were mentioning how it was almost certain that a safety car would be deployed. What did they mean? Were they predicting a crash or incident?

They were going with the fact that recovery is not so easy around that track so any minor accident or car stopping on the circuit would result in a dangerous situation for marshals. Add in the fact that those in charge would be extra cautious now due to the bianchi crash and an educated guess who suggest a safety car was a certainty.
    There were no incidents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

bnt wrote: »
    Mercedes has the Constructor's Championship.

Straight from Brackley

1926854_10202782012817486_5309830980906628830_n.jpg?oh=1b32c4c0d38da325699f2e1ad5ceab74&oe=54F85E11

• Registered Users Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That as a rather boring race a pity as it is a nice track.The first lap was good but that was about it. Would have been nice to see Button get on the podium but it did not happen. I think it will be better next year as Pirelli will now know what the track is like and what tires to bring. I was surprised that more of the teams did not pit earlier and try and go further on the 2nd set of tires and maybe gain a place or two when other cars pitted later on. They all knew that there was little tire degradation so it could have been worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Grand Prix racing has got so boring of late, today's being one of the worst. Moto GP for me all the way now. Watched 3 races this morning, action all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Grand Prix racing has got so boring of late

Compared to when?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Compared to when?

The days of Senna, Shumacher, Irvine etc with fuel stops. Tip another car now and theres a stewards enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mickdw wrote: »
    They were going with the fact that recovery is not so easy around that track so any minor accident or car stopping on the circuit would result in a dangerous situation for marshals. Add in the fact that those in charge would be extra cautious now due to the bianchi crash and an educated guess who suggest a safety car was a certainty.
    There were no incidents though.

Thanks. I just thought that some new rule had been implemented they way they seemed so certain that the safety car would be out.

Statisticians: How often in the last 20-30 races has the safety car not featured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The days of Senna, Shumacher, Irvine etc with fuel stops. Tip another car now and theres a stewards enquiry.

Meh, plenty of boring races back then too, but no one remembers them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

keith16 wrote: »
    Putin handing out the trophies is a bit weird.

I thought he was going to hand out all the trophies for a minute. And then spray the champagne.

To be fair I don't think Rosbergs race was that impressive. Ya he did 52 laps on one set of tyres but he still made the same amount of pit stops as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Stoolbend wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think Rosbergs race was that impressive. Ya he did 52 laps on one set of tyres but he still made the same amount of pit stops as everyone else.
    That's the impressive bit.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hamilton pretty much blanked putin when they entered the pre podium room. Did he not know him I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hamilton pretty much blanked putin when they entered the pre podium room. Did he not know him I wonder.

I'd pretty much blank him too if i met him to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

Martin Brundle ‏@MBrundleF1 :
    Yes you're right that was a boring race. But I love F1 and it's been a great season so still smiling. Onwards and upwards, see you in Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He probably knows exactly who he is but thought better of snubbing him.

For a sport that keeps trying to distance itself from politics it did a bad job of it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hamilton was a bit hilarious checking out all the Perilli caps on the table delaying having to shake Putin's hand.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

astrofluff wrote: »
    Hamilton was a bit hilarious checking out all the Perilli caps on the table delaying having to shake Putin's hand.

Ha ha Yeah I was thinking if he doesn't shake his hand rosberg will be champ due to the fact Hamilton either being locked up in a goulag somewhere or never making it out of Russia :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

The Drivers...

BzxVvsvIQAEaoXj.jpg

and the Engineers...

BzxJwG3IUAIxDrX.jpg

Advertisement