Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane private school fees.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Heroditas wrote: »
    Funny how people won't bat an eyelid at spending up to €10k per year to send their child to a grotty creche yet think a couple of grand for a private school is exorbitant.

"Grotty?" Calm down, 1960s Liverpudlian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

I went to a private school. Fúcking hated it.

If I ever have kids, not in a million years would I send them to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Heroditas wrote: »
    Funny how people won't bat an eyelid at spending up to €10k per year to send their child to a grotty creche yet think a couple of grand for a private school is exorbitant.
    Don't know if you're comparing like with like. Childcare is a need. Private school isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'm going to homeschool any kids I have to ensure their normality. There's nothing in the classroom that can't be learned by posting endlessy on boards imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

I amuse myself by identifying English public schoolboys on yhe TV and in the public eye in general.
    Chris Martin most of Genesis most of the Tory cabinet Boris Johnson the host of Pointless the Archbishop of Canterbury...Jeremy Clarkson on and on....
    They exude confidence and are generally happy men unencumbered with the neuroses of us common folk.
    It has very.little to do with academic success but they seem very prone to firsts from Oxbridge in PPE
    Also you wouldn't dream of sending your son to Eton Harrow or Rugby if money was an issue. The £30000 doesn't cover the sking trip to Val d'Isere the cultural trip to Vietnam and the oboe lessons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I went to a very rough community school but I wouldn't necessarily be against sending my kids to a private school here. Depends on the merits of the schools available to you nearby, private or public. I don't think your kids would turn into raving snobs because of their school. Home is a much bigger influence on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Chris Martin most of Genesis most of the Tory cabinet Boris Johnson the host of Pointless the Archbishop of Canterbury...Jeremy Clarkson on and on....
    They exude confidence and are generally happy men unencumbered with the neuroses of us common folk.

....Are you pulling the pi$$? I honestly can't tell.

Im not joking. All of these were public schoolboys. Oh and the landlord in 2 Pints of Lager. I kid you not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Benedict Cumberbatch also went to Harrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

cloud493 wrote: »

He won a scholarship for his name alone

• Advertisement

Of course he did. It's fascinating. Our "private" schools are s completely different thing altogether.
    Oh and James Blunt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

I went to one of the top public schools in the uk - used to play Harrow, similar fees etc etc.
    (In fact age 8-18 @ £30k pa x 4 kids = wow!!!')
    I loved every minute of it however I'd make the following observations:

It is a shock when you enter the real world, especially coming from an all boys school.

You're not just paying for the classroom education, you're paying for the excellent all round facilities such as art, sport, music etc.

If your parents can't afford to send you comfortably then don't go - there is nothing worse than being "second class" - unable to go on trips, partake in activities that your peers are going on.
    I saw many kids destroyed by this.

However, there is a huge amount of stuff that goes on at a boarding school that once you leave no one outside of the school ever cares about.

Boarding will affect your relationship with your parents - for some good, for some bad.

For me, my parents delegated my upbringing to my school - my wife, who went to a state school, her parents made sure she received a good education, didn't spend huge amounts of money on it and have a great relationship with her!

I have kids now and after long consideration and worry that I would be depriving them by not sending them to a boarding school, I have come to the realisation that it is not necessary.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I went to a private liberal arts school in Ireland from the age of 7 until I did my leaving cert aged 16 (passed with honours) because it was the only way I could get a non-denominational education (as distinct from multi-denominational. It didn't receive a penny from the State and was known for it's ability to get those pupils other schools dismissed as doomed to fail through State exams - possibly because no time was wasted teaching religion which they considered to be the duty of parents not the school.

It had 170 pupils max so teachers had time to actually teach and although we all sat State exams it wasn't rigidly tied to the national curriculum - I reckon not many schools have 9 year olds engaged in discussing anti-Semitism while reading the Merchant of Venice.

If such a school had been available for my son I would have sent him there in a heartbeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I know it's always said, but that "public school" thing in relation to private school is just stupid and annoying dammit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was just watching one of the re-runs of harrow a very british school on sky 1, and they happened to mention the annual school fees are £30,000 a year :eek:
    Thats insanity,
    I don't think I'd send my kid there, even if I could afford it. I mean the school looks good for sure, but they don't seem particularly friendly, they exist, as they themselves state, in a bubble of privilege and are isolated from the regular community, cant be good for them once they're done with the school, and... I just wouldn't. Its insane. Even if the facilities are that good.

How about you guys?
    I doubt they would take children from parents that call their children kids ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Unclebumble

I know it's always said, but that "public school" thing in relation to private school is just stupid and annoying dammit. :mad:

They were call Public Schools because anyone could attend (if able to pay) as opposed to the other schools which were religious based.
    The pc term now is Independent School!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I went to a private liberal arts school in Ireland from the age of 7 until I did my leaving cert aged 16 (passed with honours) because it was the only way I could get a non-denominational education (as distinct from multi-denominational. It didn't receive a penny from the State and was known for it's ability to get those pupils other schools dismissed as doomed to fail through State exams - possibly because no time was wasted teaching religion which they considered to be the duty of parents not the school.

It had 170 pupils max so teachers had time to actually teach and although we all sat State exams it wasn't rigidly tied to the national curriculum - I reckon not many schools have 9 year olds engaged in discussing anti-Semitism while reading the Merchant of Venice.

If such a school had been available for my son I would have sent him there in a heartbeat.

No but loads of them have their JC students doing the exact same thing without being surrounded by the outliers attracted by non denom schools.

No but loads of them have their JC students doing the exact same thing without being surrounded by the outliers attracted by non denom schools.

Have many primary schools doing Shakespeare and discussing bigotry do we?

I did say we were 9 so your comparison to JC students is hardly relevant is it?

And I fail to see what the distance one lives from the school has anything to do with the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

But a lot of the kids we saw, they weren't going to oxford or whatever, they were going to normal universities. So clearly stepping out the bubble, cant be good for you.

Any private school pupil will more than likely gravitate towards the other private school pupils attending 'normal' universities. Rare you'll find a private schooler staying in halls with the people who were to comprehensives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wonder how much it would cost, per year, for a run-of-the-mill community school if it weren't subsidized?

As in if each kids parents paid the wages and upkeep of the school, with no moola from the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Have many primary schools doing Shakespeare and discussing bigotry do we?

I did say we were 9 so your comparison to JC students is hardly relevant is it?

And I fail to see what the distance one lives from the school has anything to do with the topic.

You could have 9 year olds reading Proust too but it wouldn't make any sense or have the same impact as it would if they read it when they were ready. Earlier =\= better

Outliers as in societal outliers who for some reason think the Catholic church has any real influence in the running of schools outside a few empty words in the schools mission statement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

KungPao wrote: »
    I wonder how much it would cost, per year, for a run-of-the-mill community school if it weren't subsidized?

As in if each kids parents paid the wages and upkeep of the school, with no moola from the state.

Less than 30 grand a kid :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you have to be really, really ridiculously good-looking also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

http://www.rosey.ch/

120,000 US dollars per year.

Well, I'm glad it's a boarding school - there's no way I'd be able to keep that uniform clean on my kids!
    (Although I do like the idea of decamping to Gstaad for the Winter months)

Do you have to be really, really ridiculously good-looking also?

Well it appears that really really good thick wavy hair is a prerequisite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

But a lot of the kids we saw, they weren't going to oxford or whatever, they were going to normal universities. So clearly stepping out the bubble, cant be good for you.

Just because you go to a private school doesn't mean you're going to become a genius.

I wouldn't be so sure if you could pay your way into Oxford nowadays and even if you could you certainly couldn't buy good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

£30k a year to a boarding school to raise your child for you doesn't seem too bad I suppose if you can afford it

You could have 9 year olds reading Proust too but it wouldn't make any sense or have the same impact as it would if they read it when they were ready. Earlier =\= better

Outliers as in societal outliers who for some reason think the Catholic church has any real influence in the running of schools outside a few empty words in the schools mission statement

Ah - so you seem to have an axe to grind.

Go bicker with someone who might be prepared to allow you to revise their personal history to suit your agenda and indulge you in informing them of what the were and were not capable of understanding at what age.

I never mentioned the Catholic Church. There are other religions too you know and some of them even have schools with mission statements and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

[QUOTE=Bannasidhe;92538575]Ah - so you seem to have an axe to grind.

Go bicker with someone who might be prepared to allow you to revise their personal history to suit your agenda and indulge you in informing them of what the were and were not capable of understanding at what age.

I never mentioned the Catholic Church. There are other religions too you know and some of them even have schools with mission statements and everything.[/QUOTE]

in fairness that post gives the impression that you are the one with the axe to gind

Advertisement