Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insane private school fees.

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I was just watching one of the re-runs of harrow a very british school on sky 1, and they happened to mention the annual school fees are £30,000 a year :eek:
    Thats insanity,
    I don't think I'd send my kid there, even if I could afford it. I mean the school looks good for sure, but they don't seem particularly friendly, they exist, as they themselves state, in a bubble of privilege and are isolated from the regular community, cant be good for them once they're done with the school, and... I just wouldn't. Its insane. Even if the facilities are that good.

How about you guys?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Richard D James

cloud493 wrote: »
    I was just watching one of the re-runs of harrow a very british school on sky 1, and they happened to mention the annual school fees are £30,000 a year :eek:
    Thats insanity,
    I don't think I'd send my kid there, even if I could afford it. I mean the school looks good for sure, but they don't seem particularly friendly, they exist, as they themselves state, in a bubble of privilege and are isolated from the regular community, cant be good for them once they're done with the school, and... I just wouldn't. Its insane. Even if the facilities are that good.

How about you guys?

They probably would have your kids there anyway. Unless you are a member of the upper classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Thats insanity,

How about you guys?

That's how much they should cost here too, if it wasn't for the state subsidised elitism. Private schools should be entirely self-funded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

They probably would not have your kids there anyway. Unless you are a member of the upper classes

Would or wouldn't make up your mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Thats insanity,

How about you guys?

Most of it's students will remain in that bubble for their entire lives so it doesnt really matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

But a lot of the kids we saw, they weren't going to oxford or whatever, they were going to normal universities. So clearly stepping out the bubble, cant be good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

That's how much they should cost here too, if it wasn't for the state subsidised elitism. Private schools should be entirely self-funded.

Education budget couldn't afford to take the private schools into the public system which wouldn't remain private.

Kilkenny College alone has put pressure on the already tight education budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

My OH is Scottish and one of his cousins bought a house a few years ago so his kids could be in the catchment area of Fettes college in Edinburgh. (The one used in the Harry potter movies) he has 2 kids going there, another to start in 2 years. Average school year fees is £25,000 per child. The kids have changed a lot, an air of elitism and snobbery. I think it's mad, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Thats insanity,

How about you guys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Harrovians

They do just fine.

Compare it to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Cabinteely_Community_Schoolians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Education budget couldn't afford to take the private schools into the public system which wouldn't remain private.

Kilkenny College alone has put pressure on the already tight education budget.

It's something that should never have been allowed to happen and, you're right, it's a mistake that can't be corrected overnight without causing massive upheaval.
    It can, however, be phased out over a decade by reducing the subsidy year on year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Most of them here are only about 5k a year aren't they?

• Advertisement

My OH is Scottish and one of his cousins bought a house a few years ago so his kids could be in the catchment area of Fettes college in Edinburgh. (The one used in the Harry potter movies) he has 2 kids going there, another to start in 2 years. Average school year fees is £25,000 per child. The kids have changed a lot, an air of elitism and snobbery. I think it's mad, but each to their own.

The Fettes blazer alone is worth the fee

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Agreed!

Can't say that going to a community school in a good area had any downsides. We had the best of everything, except for maybe a pool. LC results were for the most part excellent, with plenty of 550+ and numerous 600 point results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Teachers are teachers. State schools can have excellent facilities.

I'd understand someone sending their child(ren) to a private school if it was a really good school and the only good school convenient to them, but simply sending them to a private school because it's a private school and/or because of the view that paying more means it'll be better... I don't agree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

anncoates wrote: »

Yeah, I went to a private school and it was 5 or 6k a year. I was a college drop out too so it did me a lot of good! Money well spent! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I'd understand someone sending their child(ren) to a private school if it was a really good school and the only good school convenient to them, but simply sending them to a private school because it's a private school and/or because of the view that paying more means it'll be better... I don't agree there.
    Not to mention the fact that there's an increased chance that your kid might end up as a Tory Prime Minister if you send them to Eton or Harrow, etc.

*shudder*

I'd rather them end up in prison, tbh. At least I'd be able to show my face in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Indeed. If it's the best local school to you, that just happens to be private, suits your child's personality,and you believe they will flourish there - by all means send them if you can afford it.

If the local public school is just as good with excellent facilities - send them there. It's all relative.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that there's an increased chance that your kid might end up as a Tory Prime Minister if you send them to Eton or Harrow, etc.

*shudder*

I'd rather them end up in prison, tbh. At least I'd be able to show my face in public.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

There can and are many reasons for sending children to private schools. It does not always equate to elitism or snobbery etc. I have experienced both private and public schools and found a level of elitism and snobbery in both, however the vast majority were what I'd consider normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

There seems to be a big difference between state schools in Ireland and the UK.

State schools in Ireland are generally very good, but comprehensives in the UK vary greatly. Some are awful. I know they say good teachers are good teachers, but if you're in a disruptive school, that does impact on learning and getting things done.

I wouldn't go private, but if I had kids in the UK, I'd be hoping they get into a grammar school!

So I can understand it more in the UK, especially if one of the bad comps is in your catchment area.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

http://www.rosey.ch/

120,000 US dollars per year.

:eek:

Sure I went to both, a UK comprehensive school, and UK private school (lot cheaper than harrow) and I'd go as far to say the facilities and staff were better at the comprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Its the otherway around. Private schools in Ireland save the state money - i.e. they subsidise the non fee-paying schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I dont think anyone sends their children to expensive schools because the schools are 'better' from an academic or general educational aspect - its to associate with the right type of people and to be able to enjoy the old school tie for the rest of their lives. Elitism and snobbery tend to be looked down on - but being an elitist snob is generally a recipe for a very happy life, and good luck to those who can afford to give their children that happy sense of being better that the rest of the world throughout their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

anncoates wrote: »

Yep it's really only the ones which offer boarding such as Glenstal, Rockwell, Clongowes etc that are multiples of that.

Funny how people won't bat an eyelid at spending up to €10k per year to send their child to a grotty creche yet think a couple of grand for a private school is exorbitant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

http://www.rosey.ch/

120,000 US dollars per year.
    You'd think at those prices they'd be able to afford a decent website, wouldn't you?

mrsbyrne, you think being an elitist snob and a sense of being better "that" the rest of the world is generally a recipe for a very happy life?
    Interesting. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you are sending your kids to the likes of Harrow then you are probably spending a smaller fraction of your disposable income on them than most people would sending their kids to the local tech or CBS

Advertisement