Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear kicked out of Argentina - World gone mad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

I think it was proper order what happened to the crew.What would happen if those three stooges came over here disrespecting the memories of the 16 men executed after the 1916 rising?Says a lot more about top gear,making publicity of war dead,than the Argentinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

fran17 wrote: »
    I think it was proper order what happened to the crew.

I don't think the crew did anything to deserve that.
    What would happen if those three stooges came over here disrespecting the memories of the 16 men executed after the 1916 rising?

Not much I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

I ........What would happen if those three stooges came over here disrespecting the memories of the 16 men executed after the 1916 rising?..........

How likely is that?

If not, why raise it as a possibility?

How about dealing with what happened, not some hypothetical situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

There was no way the license plate was a coincidence.
    The producers said the car was legally registered with that plate. While that may be the case dont tell me it went 'unnoticed' when they were selecting the cars to use for the special ;)

Cool_CM wrote: »
    I don't think the crew did anything to deserve that.

Not much I'd imagine.
    Guilty by association.They all new very well what they were up to,thick as thieves.
    How likely is that?

Its quite unlikely because Britain has many ties to Ireland through trade,diplomacy,tourism and through the European union as we are neighbours.Plus they still have that old colonialism stain to wash out of their shirt.
    I raised the possibility simply as a comparison as we are not Argentinian so must look at this from an Irish perspective.How do you suggest we deal with this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

I found the episode subdued after all the hype, slightly boring even. It was respectful to Argentina for the most part though I suspect most Falkland gags or jibes if any were probably edited out after the controversy. Indeed the Falklands hardly got a mention. The best thing for me from the episodes were the great shots of Patagonias scenery.
    Looks like the crew got the brunt of the abuse after the 3 celebs were airlifted out.

I found the episode subdued after all the hype, slightly boring even. It was respectful to Argentina for the most part though I suspect most Falkland gags or jibes if any were probably edited out after the controversy. Indeed the Falklands hardly got a mention. The best thing for me from the episodes were the great shots of Patagonias scenery.
    Looks like the crew got the brunt of the abuse after the 3 celebs were airlifted out.

I thought the same.The entertainment value was much less than previous specials and a lot of the gags were played to death and just didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I also thought it was a poor programme - this first episode especially. I really enjoyed the scenery and I get the feeling it was edited to be a generous thank you to Chile who helped the crew out of the situation.

I'm not sure how the British would feel if 3 Argies rocked up with an 1986 HOG number plate and proceeded to rip and tear about GB. I'm sure the Daily Mail and its permanently outraged readers would be irritated :)

What interested me the most was the size of the support team for these 3 guys. Ewan McGregor and the other fella went around the world with (I think) 2 support trucks (possibly 3) - nothing like the convoy TG had. That was the stand out thing for me. It was a bit of a kerfuffle over very little (although post editing could have silently removed any anti argie stuff) and also (and more importantly) a really dull programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Gatling wrote: »
    Must say pretty subdued actually ,

In saying that Argentina are getting brave now Vladimir putin are all cosyed up together,

Must reminds Argentina who sent them to invade the falklands in the early 80's
    for oil and because an election was on the horizon which you know who was going to probably lose

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

I thought the same.The entertainment value was much less than previous specials and a lot of the gags were played to death and just didn't work.

The gags are very contrived and samey at this point- someones car breaks down and the rest of the lads will drive off and leave them. Someones car gets rigged with something silly 'in the middle of the night' (breaklight on dash). Loading the cars up with random junk and/or converting them.
    I still like the specials and the cinematography is great in them though. But they are running out of ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Would Clarkson drive into the Bogside with a 1P4R4 number-plate?:eek:

I enjoy Top Gear for what it is, primarily an entertainment show with motors as the vehicle, so to speak. I can even tolerate the wildly differing political opinions of Jeremy Clarkson to my own.

Some of the stuff about the other numberplates representing figures close to number of soldiers killed is pure nonsense.

However I cannot believe that with all the work that goes into these specials that nobody in the TG production team would have spotted it much earlier - especially given the support the show gives to the British military, both past and present, as well as the numerous amount of paperwork to be filled out when shipping the car. It's not as if they saw the car once, threw it into a container and didn't think about it until arriving in South America.

IMO it was a similar stunt to the Vietnam motorcycle or American redneck jokes they've done before. Probably to be humorously spotted at some stage by Hammond or May, resulting in a bit of tension followed by a madcap escape - went a bit further than expected though.

The actions of the mob were inexcusable though.

How likely is that?

its relevant. his question is valid

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

for oil and because an election was on the horizon which you know who was going to probably lose

Actually no ,the action the British took in sending the task force to retake the Falklands and give the argies a bloody nose was mostly done on the quite ,
    The uk government had a media blackout in place for most part of the whole event ,
    And oil exploration is still only a recent thing too for the most part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The show is all washed up as far as specials go. this latest was a poor effort at anything even humorous or mildly entertaining and the best parts were the beautiful views of Argentina.

There is no doubt for me that the number plate was deliberate but I also suspect that the resulting attack on the convoy may have been organised/staged to bring attention and viewers for a show which was not getting any real attention.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Top Gear - one of the BBC's most-watched shows - wasn't getting any attention, so they rigged it that people would through stones at the crew and smash their car windows?

Right so.

Have you any idea how much mileage the Daily Racist - sorry, Mail - would get if they found out (which they would) that the attack was staged? There is no way the BBC would stage an ambush, and then blame it entirely on locals.

Honest to God, the stuff people come up with is unbelievable at times.

Actually no ,the action the British took in sending the task force to retake the Falklands and give the argies a bloody nose was mostly done on the quite

i know, but that doesn't mean the reasons weren't what i suggested. once it came out afterwords the election was a landslide for the tories.
    The uk government had a media blackout in place for most part of the whole event

yeah, but remember britain was going through major austerity with industries closing and millions unemployed. to not black out the conflict until the forces were down there would have been to much of a gamble in terms of re-election. as far as the government knew, there was no guarintee of support for another far away conflict for a couple of islands which contribute nothing to britain especially in such times of hardship.
    oil exploration is still only a recent thing too for the most part

they knew about the possibility of oil down there back in 1982 or before it though.

cdeb wrote: »
    Top Gear - one of the BBC's most-watched shows - wasn't getting any attention, so they rigged it that people would through stones at the crew and smash their car windows?

Right so.

Have you any idea how much mileage the Daily Racist - sorry, Mail - would get if they found out (which they would) that the attack was staged? There is no way the BBC would stage an ambush, and then blame it entirely on locals.

Which paper was harking on about them asking if a bridge was straight should be investigated for some reason or other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

'Clarkey', Captain Slow and Hamster are about as fresh as a three week old kebab. Idiotic show with dreadful middle-aged lad 'humour'.

I'd recommend both the Chilean and Argentinian Patagonia regions for a relaxing holiday. The W Trek in Torres del Paine in Chilean Patagonia is one of the things everyone should hope to do before they die. A wonderful 4 day trek through some of the world's most spectacular scenery.

Which paper was harking on about them asking if a bridge was straight should be investigated for some reason or other
    The Daily Mail.

But some would believe the Mail would spot this, but not spot a staged ambush (and I'm sure they'd be able to offer a high enough price to any of those "in on the trick" to spill the beans)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Funny thing about that number plate is, Clarkson swore on his kids lives it was just a random coincidence, which kind of makes him a lying scumbag.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Funny thing about that number plate is, Clarkson swore on his kids lives it was just a random coincidence, which kind of makes him a lying scumbag.

And you can prove this

Surely he just did?

Twas a marvellous example of Holmesian deduction. We're privileged to see such a mind at work.

Right so.

Another conspiracy theory could be lets deflect the whole "catch a ni**er by the toe" controversy that surrounded Clarkson back in early summer,
    If you think about it.It's a sure fire way of getting the british public,well the section of the british public that watches top gear and buys there products,back on side by revving up the old bulldog spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Breffnigolfer

The car was a Porsche 928, the number plate read 982. (The war was in 1982)
    As far as "cherish" plates go, it was a poor one. What a coincidence then the letters were FKL?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

And you can prove this

License plate aside... he blatantly said he didnt use the N word on Top Gear. Despite one of the tabloids having the unedited/pre-dubbed footage of the clip. So the chap is a liar regardless of this. But personally I wouldnt put it past him swearing on his kids too.

he blatantly said he didnt use the N word on Top Gear.
    And he didn't. The clip - in which he doesn't actually say the n-word, but deliberately mumbles the part of the well-known nursery rhyme, which is being used in context - was deliberately not aired because he felt even the mumbled bit was too much.

Enter Daily Mail - and its brainless adherents - to blow the whole thing out of proportion, of course.

And he didn't. The clip - in which he doesn't actually say the n-word, but deliberately mumbles the part of the well-known nursery rhyme, which is being used in context - was deliberately not aired because he felt even the mumbled bit was too much.

Enter Daily Mail - and its brainless adherents - to blow the whole thing out of proportion, of course.

Mumbled something found guilty based off nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Surely he just did?

Twas a marvellous example of Holmesian deduction. We're privileged to see such a mind at work.
    Might want to try a quick Google before you blow your load next time smartarse:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-29488770
    Clarkson told the Sun newspaper, for which he writes a regular column: "We knew absolutely nothing about the number plate, it was just an unbelievable coincidence. I swear on my kids' lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

There are many many black porsches that could have been used.
    Yet that particular one was chosen.

Clarkson was on a warning for his previous trollings.
    Yet not 1 member of a professional production crew of 30+ people saw this, even though weeks of pre-production would have taken place.

Of the three hosts it just happens to be king troll, who makes his money off political humor, thats driving the offending plate.

• Advertisement

There are many many black porsches that could have been used.
    Yet that particular one was chosen.

Clarkson was on a warning for his previous trollings.
    Yet not 1 member of a professional production crew of 30+ people saw this, even though weeks of pre-production would have taken place.

Of the three hosts it just happens to be king troll, who makes his money off political humor, thats driving the offending plate.

So surely on that conspiracy theory

clarkson would have been driving a Jag , Bentley, Lotus even a rover with an offending licence plate .

But a German marque doesn't sound right at all

Advertisement