Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear kicked out of Argentina - World gone mad?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Eh, no. I directed you to a world of articles confirming it. Go on, try the Google I suggested. Our are you too ignorant to actually research a viewpoint which might differ to your own? So ignorant that you actually deleted the source I have when you quoted my post, and then suggested I had no source?

When you do that Google source, come back to me. Otherwise, good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No I am not ignorant, I do not research on behalf of others

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No I am not ignorant, I do not research on behalf of others

What a moronic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Following your logic DiG, you seem to be saying that the BBC only funds the production of its TV and Radio output solely through the revenue gained from the license payer, surely you see that is impossible and doesn't make sense given the large sums of money it takes to produce, film, broadcast and fund

Top Gear makes the BBC millions, they sell the versions we see around the world and they are translated into a dozen languages or more. They have also franchised the format to allow countries like Germany, Australia, Russia and a few others to make their own version of the show using the same format.

The production of all the BBC material is supported by these sales and those of other shows like Dr Who, Downton Abbey, Teletubbies, Strictly and a whole host of quiz show formats. Its what keeps the licence fee down in price. You aren't supporting Top Gear production, Top Gear is supporting the production of the shows you do like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

According to BBC Worldwide - Top Gear is one of their five top brands.

On a turnover of just over stg£1 billion, BBC Worldwide made a profit of stg£157 million in 2013/14. It also returned stg£173 million to it's owner - the Beeb.

As a brand Top Gear no doubt contributed significantly - it also has tie ups with Microsoft and the Top Gear Magazine is the top selling motoring magazine in the UK, while 'Top Gear: The Perfect Road Trip' was the UK’s best-selling TV DVD of 2013.

I think it's fair to say that the programme / brand is 'washing its face' and that after this stunt it will be even more valuable given the likely audience interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Competition time;

Rearrange these words to form a sentence, winner gets a special prize

These special words form a prize sentence a winner gets to rearrange

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,873 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ardillaun wrote: »
    If RTE pulled a similar stunt in Warrington or Birmingham there would be widespread and justifiable outrage. Nobody can say how things would work out but I imagine Dave would have to make some sort of statement.

If you go to any country in this world and mock those killed in conflict, you will have a problem.

They went up against their German counterparts and did a Battle Of Britain skit, it was a little cringy, but didn't see the Germans making a big deal out of it....they appeared to be slightly embarrassed if anything. The 'slope' comment in Burma was out of order imo. Prepared to give TG the benefit of the doubt in Argentina, think is was a genuine blooper that wasn't spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They went up against their German counterparts and did a Battle Of Britain skit, it was a little cringy, but didn't see the Germans making a big deal out of it....they appeared to be slightly embarrassed if anything...

Was that the one with the old Bentley with the Spitfire engine versus the black thing with a forty-something litre BMW engine out of a Luftwaffe bomber? I though the German fella was having a grand time, and was a bigger head-case than JC! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

jimgoose wrote: »
    Was that the one with the old Bentley with the Spitfire engine versus the black thing with a forty-something litre BMW engine out of a Luftwaffe bomber? I though the German fella was having a grand time, and was a bigger head-case than JC! :pac:

I think the poster is talking about the TG verses the German version of TG.
    Where they arrived in Spitfires and landed in Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bear1 wrote: »

That makes sense. The Battle of Britain is exactly the type of slapstick physical humour that gets the Germans chuckling. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

That's the one.

Think the Germans have had enough ribbing of the John Cleese/Fawlty Towers variety from the uk they're probably used to that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Topgear battle of Britain

Top Gear vs The Germans Part 1 - Double Decker Ra…: http://youtu.be/n5xd97HeY70

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

There was also the TG UK against the TG OZ episode where they both ripped the ****e out of each other with jokes.
    No complaints from either. Argentines need to get a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What ever about the ins and outs of the incident, its pandering to a certain sort of British mentality and has the potential to be dangerous, the second world war ended over 60 years ago and the falklands war over 25 year ago.

There was also the TG UK against the TG OZ episode where they both ripped the ****e out of each other with jokes.
    No complaints from either. Argentines need to get a sense of humour.

Well the Aussie and uk roughousing sense of humour compliment each other, they have been slagging each other off for donkeys years over cricket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mariaalice wrote: »
    What ever about the ins and outs of the incident, its pandering to a certain sort of British mentality and has the potential to be dangerous, the second world war ended over 60 years ago and the falklands war over 25 year ago.

It's not so much British mentality, more the sense of humour.

The Germans "get it" because it is similar to their own. The thing with the British and the Germans, is that they can take it as well as they give it.

The Falklands war may have ended a long time ago, but the fact the Argentinians have recently decided to make a big deal of it again (and have been hugely embarrassing about the whole thing) makes it fun to give them a dig or two.

The Germans "get it" because it is similar to their own. The thing with the British and the Germans, is that they can take it as well as they give it.

The Falklands war may have ended a long time ago, but the fact the Argentinians have recently decided to make a big deal of it again (and have been hugely embarrassing about the whole thing) makes it fun to give them a dig or two.

Doubt if they found the TG skit funny, think there were a few strained, polite put-on smiles, but Germans generally do enjoy the more 'out there' Brit com like Monty Python. A Falklands joke, if it were intended which I very much doubt, would have been too close to the bone given recent stirrings about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The TG Battle of Britain skit worked because of the 'mythos' surrounding the events - radar, the Bf109 -v- the Spitfire, the Few etc.

Doubt it would have been as funny (or the Germans had been as willing to join in the joke) if it involved Operation Thunderclap - the firebombing of Dresden, or Operation Gomorrah - the firebombing of Hamburg!

I wonder if the 'guys' would have been as willing to participate if the Germans came up with a segment whereby the British Top Gear Team are surprised and then chased by German cars driving through the Ardennes. They could give Jeremy et al say a 12 hour head start to the coast - giving them sufficient time to arrange an evacuation off the beach as the Germans bear down on them - maybe they could film it at Dunquerque ;) - then, like in Argentina - they could be whipped to safety in the nick of time, leaving the heavy gear behind!

I wonder if TG would find that as funny........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

To me its the kind of 'humour' that apples to the type of football fans that would go to a England v Germany match with blow up spitfires or vote for Nigel Farage .

Jawgap wrote: »
    The TG Battle of Britain skit worked because of the 'mythos' surrounding the events - radar, the Bf109 -v- the Spitfire, the Few etc.

Doubt it would have been as funny (or the Germans had been as willing to join in the joke) if it involved Operation Thunderclap - the firebombing of Dresden, or Operation Gomorrah - the firebombing of Hamburg!

I wonder if the 'guys' would have been as willing to participate if the Germans came up with a segment whereby the British Top Gear Team are surprised and then chased by German cars driving through the Ardennes. They could give Jeremy et al say a 12 hour head start to the coast - giving them sufficient time to arrange an evacuation off the beach as the Germans bear down on them - maybe they could film it at Dunquerque ;) - then, like in Argentina - they could be whipped to safety in the nick of time, leaving the heavy gear behind!

I wonder if TG would find that as funny........
    I don't think they'd find it funny so much as they'd want to take part in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mariaalice wrote: »
    To me its the kind of 'humour' that apples to the type of football fans that would go to a England v Germany match with blow up spitfires or vote for Nigel Farage .

Maybe. But that is probably due to your own prejudices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Tell me then, how does one go about finding a car which has a number plate reflecting the war and is also a Porsche?
    The filming has almost finished so the majority of it was there, but yet it took the Argentines until the end to realise something was up?
    Bollocks.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Funny how they have been filming for 2 weeks and not a peep .

Must be sloooow taking things in Argentina

Bear in mind that the vast majority of the population where they were filming don't speak English and, even for those that do, the islands would be known as Islas Malvinas so FLK (or even the word Falklands) wouldn't be immediately apparent to them.

I still believe 100% that it was deliberate. I have no doubt that somebody spotted that plate at some stage and took note of it for future reference. People such as Photographers and Film Location Managers and probably thousands more do the same thing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Bear in mind that the vast majority of the population where they were filming don't speak English and, even for those that do, the islands would be known as Islas Malvinas so FLK (or even the word Falklands) wouldn't be immediately apparent to them.

I still believe 100% that it was deliberate. I have no doubt that somebody spotted that plate at some stage and took note of it for future reference. People such as Photographers and Film Location Managers and probably thousands more do the same thing every day.

So really they should have looked for the plate V1NAS, shame it's on a Yaris not a Porsche or maybe M4LVS but then again its a VW Bora not a Porsche

Best ones though would have been surely to go for W1NNR on a Range Rover or ARG1E on a Mercedes 220

EDIT £400 reserve price would get you BTR15H

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Professional trolls get called out on their shenanigans and get a nice bit of publicity into the bargain. The end.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    So really they should have looked for the plate V1NAS
    This one has the additional, and clearly maliciously deliberate, put "V1"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Jesus, this bit is a bit of a stretch of the (morbid) imagination though...

'The plates on the cars used by Clarkson’s fellow presenters James May and Richard Hammond also aroused suspicions in Argentina. The plate on May’s Lotus contained the number 646, which Juan Manuel Romano, an official in the province of Ushuaia, suggested could be a reference to the 649 Argentinean dead in the Falklands conflict. He noted that Hammond’s Ford Mustang had 269 in its plate, close to the 255 losses suffered by the British.'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Jesus, this bit is a bit of a stretch of the (morbid) imagination though...

'The plates on the cars used by Clarkson’s fellow presenters James May and Richard Hammond also aroused suspicions in Argentina. The plate on May’s Lotus contained the number 646, which Juan Manuel Romano, an official in the province of Ushuaia, suggested could be a reference to the 649 Argentinean dead in the Falklands conflict. He noted that Hammond’s Ford Mustang had 269 in its plate, close to the 255 losses suffered by the British.'

Fact remains the falklands number plate was done on purpose. The boys had bought a couple of novelty number plates for their trip. They just never got to show off their brilliantly funny "bellend" one.

Ah yes. That notorious anti-Argentinian jibe "bellend"

Not entirely sure what the point is tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

cdeb wrote: »
    Ah That notorious argentinian jibe "bellend"

Not entirely sure what the point is tbh.

That a professional troll had recently discovered the hilarity of funny number plates.

And was then found in a country which had a conflict with said trolls country in 1982, with a number plate numbered H982.

Advertisement